Work4 Labs
www.work4labs.com San Francisco, CA 16 to 50 Employees

Work4 Labs Reviews

Updated Mar 19, 2014
Work4 Labs – San Francisco – “Inside the Work4 HQ”

Stéphane Le Viet

laser focussed team that works hard and is dominating the social recruiting space

I have been working at Work4 Labs full-time for more than a year

Prosunique mix of experienced professionals and brillant up and coming talent, lightning speed innovation and execution, solid management team

Consextreme pressure to perform in effort to maintain and grow its leadership position, not enough time to celebrate (always on to the next milestone)

Stressful and disappointing.

I worked at Work4 Labs full-time

ProsGreat location in SF and some good management. The perks (unlimited pto, good medical/health benefits, fun outings with coworkers) are good as well.

ConsSalaries are very low. The opportunity to advance is slim to none. I only saw one employee get promoted and she ended up being promoted a second time a few months later. Upper management has no appreciation for the work its employees do. Its a problem that has been around for a long time and they have only half-heartedly tried to fix it. The environment is toxic. Everyone is overworked and stressed out. The turnover rate is high. Most employees don't stick around for longer than a year.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop penny-pinching and invest in your employee's happiness.

Turn and Burn at it's best (worst)

Sales (Former Employee)

I worked at Work4 Labs full-time for less than a year

ProsSome cool technology with a genuine sales opportunity, and lots of new products coming out all the time.

ConsThe new products they launch are never ready to sell, some products get sold and then discontinued.
Management has, historically, been among the absolute most insane micromanagers ever. Regardless of your size of role, prepare to be grilled by C-Level executives on a regular basis.
The space may not be defensible, new competitors often come in with equivalent or superior products for less money, if not free.
Not fun, super uncomfortable place to be every day, turnover is approaching 100% for the sales team since 2012.
Sales team was too big for interest level from prospective customers.

Advice to Senior ManagementDoing the right thing shrinking sales and focusing more on marketing. Senior management needs to relax or hire a development team that builds products that work well enough and launch fast enough to justify the false sense of urgency placed on sales. Sometimes you can't change the people, so you have to change out the people.

Great Company with a Fantastic Opportunity

Sales and Marketing (Current Employee)

I have been working at Work4 Labs full-time for less than a year

ProsAmazing, innovative product with the perfect timing and marketing opportunity.
CEO that works hard and is able to make LOTS of great things happen quickly.
Great culture for someone who wants to "Think Big" and "Own It".
Hardworking, dedicated, committed leadership.
Fun environment and a true team spirit that is responsible for how far the company has already come.

ConsHigh expectations and the level of hard work required might not be for everyone.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep hiring for a great fit - the startup world is not for everyone, but there are many people thriving in the Work4 environment.

Caution - Dishonest leadership and negative environment

I worked at Work4 Labs full-time

Pros-Never a dull moment
-Diverse group from around the world with different backgrounds
-Friendly co-workers get together outside of work

Cons-Disrespectful and unethical management
-Unrealistic and/or unclear expectations
-Employees treated as numbers
-No investment in training and development
-Zero emphasis on employee wellness

Poor structure, bad work flow. Not professional enough.

I have been working at Work4 Labs

ProsGood startup, engaging people, but you don't get to work on what you're supposed to.

ConsThe HR's are reluctant to be in touch, and seldom care about recruitment

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more active

Good first experience, but not the most engaging startups.

I worked at Work4 Labs

ProsMake friends with your co-interns easily.
Decent pay for an internship.
Manageable hours.

ConsUnorganized management. I felt like I didn't do anything substantial while I was supposed to working on "marketing strategy". Eventually, they assigned me to do blunt lead-generation work, which was fine, but the sales manager in charge didn't give us clear instructions on how to do it, and later berated us for not doing the job properly.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on your organization and management, especially for your interns. And it wouldn't hurt to integrate them with your teams as well.

Worst Place to Work Ever

Sales Executive (Former Employee)

I worked at Work4 Labs full-time for more than a year

ProsIt was a really innovative solution when the product first launched.

Cons-Micromanaging
-Cheap (You will buy hotel tickets, airfare, supplies) etc from your own pocket.
-Lack of Morale
-No Positive Feedback
-No Opportunity For Growth or Development

Advice to Senior ManagementYour CEO is the problem and he drives everyone away. Reinvent the product it has nothing revolutionary to offer.

Awful Culture

I worked at Work4 Labs full-time for more than a year

ProsLike any start up, there are snacks, young people, and the freedom to wear whatever you want to work. Some solid management has recently joined the company with a strong desire to "make it"

ConsAs a sales person, I have never worked for a more unorganized, greedy, and dishonest company. Quotas, commission plans and "things to sell" changed non stop. Often times we were selling things that didn't exist yet, and other times we were selling a product that didn't work.
Fun start up culture is non existent. You can plan all the happy hours in the world, but if your employees are too overworked to feel like they can enjoy themselves without feeling guilty, then it is pointless.
Employees are underpaid. To get a raise you pretty much have to threaten to quit. Many employees are young and English is their second language. Although the opportunity to work in America is great, they are being underpaid and abused into feeling like they should be grateful that someone was willing to give them a chance.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop seeing dollar signs hanging from a string in front of you and realize that in order to build a company you need your employees to respect you and want to impress you. Stop playing mind games, be human,

Extremely poor internship experience

Intern (Former Employee)

I worked at Work4 Labs as an intern for less than a year

ProsThe company is small, so access to senior management is readily available. Ambiguity in non-sales roles allows you to experience a variety of different functions. If you perform, opportunities to advance are readily available due to the company's rapid growth.

ConsWork4 Labs appears unwilling to invest in its talent, and compensation for interns is borderline insulting. I have never worked at a technology company that was so disinterested in the development of its talent.

Work is poorly scoped, and there is a large disconnect between the actual work you do and the work it seems you will be doing based on the job title, description, and interview. There are some interesting projects, but many interns will spend the vast (90%+) majority of their time doing data entry (FYI these are "Marketing and Sales Strategy Interns", hence the disconnect).

I think the most telling indicator of the overall Work4 Labs experience is turnover: almost no interns have any interest in returning. Turnover amongst full-time employees seems quite high as well.

Worked for Work4 Labs? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Work4 Labs reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Work4 Labs CEO St├ęphane Le Viet. All 16 reviews posted anonymously by Work4 Labs employees.