Work4 Labs

Updated October 16, 2014
3.9

St├ęphane Le Viet

14 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

A great team moving in the right direction

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Work4 Labs full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The product is cool and interesting, the team is great. I made great friends and I have really enjoyed working with smart, hard working people. Now is a great time to join Work4. They have made the right decisions to focus on customers and make employees happy. The CEO is solid, the executive team has changed a bit since last year which has been good overall: they are great managers, eager to move the needle, to mentor you and let you have an impact. We're moving in the right direction and it feels good. If you're ready to work hard, learn a lot and join a great and dynamic team, this is a great fit.

Cons

Be ready to work hard, there is always lots to do.
    It's a small team so if you expect to manage a team of people, it might not be what you're looking for career-wise.
    Also, working in the HR industry is challenging because it's not easy to prove the ROI of your solution.

Keep making the right choices for employees and customers. We're going in the right direction!

Grab a Life Jacket!

Former Employee - Strategic Account Director in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Strategic Account Director in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Work4 Labs full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You will learn why working for a startup can be a bad idea and what to look out for to avoid these type of companies in your future job search.

Cons

Terrible management. The CEO cant be 100% to blame as he is young and lacks experience.

Stick with and idea and go without. Constant change is generally not the best way to achieve your goals.

Good learning experience

Former Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Work4 Labs full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Opportunity to contribute and wear many hats. Colleagues were fun to be around and we would often go out together around town after work

Cons

Micromanagement comes from the CEO down. Management does not keep promises and can be stingy as far as tools needed for the job.

Trust employees to do their jobs and have integrity

30 days in, no complaints at all!

I have been working at Work4 Labs full-time (less than an year)

Pros

This is my 3rd startup and by far the most unique. Unique that the HQ is in France and the CEO has moved to SF to open this office and be closer to silicon valley. So there is a major French influence in all areas. Other great 'pro's': location, great culture (havent seen any of the mentioned negavtivity - likely those are from former regime), leadership is accessible and great product/vision.

Cons

I haven't experienced anything to speak of yet. We do share our floor with two other smaller companies so finding available conference rooms sometimes is a challenge.

Keep it up! I especially appreciate the open communication and access. I've had a great experience so far and really like that even at our size, culture and employee satisfaction is a priority.

Things must have definitely changed for the better.

Current Employee - Web Developer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Web Developer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Work4 Labs full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Work4 has been a blast since I joined up in February. Fun people, cool products, fun startup office environment, amazing location etc. The Franco/American mix is really really cool and pretty unique to Work4 in San Francisco.

Whether it's product, ops, marketing, sales - everyone seems to get along really well. They do a great job interviewing and making sure that everyone works well together which is really nice. I've worked in previous companies where this hasn't been the case which is really refreshing.

Maybe they teach this stuff at Harvard - who knows.

Cons

Honestly, I was a little worried about starting here after reading the glassdoor reviews but haven't really seen much of this myself. I'm thinking maybe things were pretty bad a year or so ago but there's some new blood in management in almost every aspect of the organization over the last year months and it's been a lot of fun. Maybe work/life balance if I had to be super picky but it hasn't been a requirement I've done this to myself!

Keep it up! Some of these recent initiatives have been great for the employees. Any company that makes employee satisfaction a company wide priority is something I'm happy to be a part of. From what I can tell, they've done a great job of weeding out their prior issues because for me It's been a great time here since day 1.

amazing startup spirit - but startups aren't for everyone!

Current Employee - Product Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Work4 Labs full-time (less than an year)

Pros

It's disappointing to read some of the other reviews here, but also misleading. True, the company has had a lot of interns in the past - like any company with a presence in France. Universities there require 6 month internships as part of a degree, so the French co-founders actively participate in the top universities and support students with internships in both our Paris and SF offices. Many have made amazing contributions - as with our full-time employees, interns can take on as much responsibility as they want, getting access to people, information, operational insight about companies, etc that would never be possible in a huge company.

That being said, if you've never worked in a startup before (and/or this is your first "real world" job), it can be overwhelming. Yes, we work hard, but we play hard too. And yes, because internships are for 6 month periods according to the university curriculum, there's turnover.

Personally, I love the team, company culture, and most of all the startup spirit. If you want to be part of a team and have immediate and significant impact, and part of a tech company that will disrupt an industry and be really successful, this is the place!

Cons

Communication between teams can be confusing or disorganized, but this is improving. Less flashy/wasteful than some startups in terms of posh office furniture or luxe perks (unlimited PTO, free food - yes, but in-office massages for engineers, 10k for your dream computer etc - not so much).

More interaction with junior people on other teams, don't just rely on a department's manager to report employee feedback to the exec team.

Great place to work

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Work4 Labs full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great place to work for tech guys. The CTO is by far the best boss I've ever had : knowledgeable, good technically, always knows what everyone is working on. And at the same time really human, understanding when you encounter unforeseen difficulties.

Very flexible work hours and WFH policies as long as you do your fair share of work.

Really nice environment to work in more generally, especially if you're young : almost everyone is in their twenties, made a lot of friends.

Cons

Be sure to discuss early on with your boss what her/his personal time-off policy is, because the company policy of 'unlimited PTO' is quite weird and ill-defined otherwise.

Get rid of this 'unlimited PTO' policy.

Turn and Burn at it's best (worst)

Former Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Work4 Labs full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Some cool technology with a genuine sales opportunity, and lots of new products coming out all the time.

Cons

The new products they launch are never ready to sell, some products get sold and then discontinued.
    Management has, historically, been among the absolute most insane micromanagers ever. Regardless of your size of role, prepare to be grilled by C-Level executives on a regular basis.
    The space may not be defensible, new competitors often come in with equivalent or superior products for less money, if not free.
    Not fun, super uncomfortable place to be every day, turnover is approaching 100% for the sales team since 2012.
    Sales team was too big for interest level from prospective customers.

Doing the right thing shrinking sales and focusing more on marketing. Senior management needs to relax or hire a development team that builds products that work well enough and launch fast enough to justify the false sense of urgency placed on sales. Sometimes you can't change the people, so you have to change out the people.

laser focussed team that works hard and is dominating the social recruiting space

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Work4 Labs full-time (more than an year)

Pros

unique mix of experienced professionals and brillant up and coming talent, lightning speed innovation and execution, solid management team

Cons

extreme pressure to perform in effort to maintain and grow its leadership position, not enough time to celebrate (always on to the next milestone)

Great Company with a Fantastic Opportunity

I have been working at Work4 Labs full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Amazing, innovative product with the perfect timing and marketing opportunity.
    CEO that works hard and is able to make LOTS of great things happen quickly.
    Great culture for someone who wants to "Think Big" and "Own It".
    Hardworking, dedicated, committed leadership.
    Fun environment and a true team spirit that is responsible for how far the company has already come.

Cons

High expectations and the level of hard work required might not be for everyone.

Keep hiring for a great fit - the startup world is not for everyone, but there are many people thriving in the Work4 environment.

Work4 Labs Photos