Work4 Labs Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
4.0
Stéphane Le Viet

1. Great company and team!

I worked at Work4 Labs full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great team with lots of energy. Fun atmosphere and fast pace. Most people liked working there.

Cons

Long hours. Product was in its early days when I worked there so lots of stuff to figure out from a strategic perspective

Advice to Management

Have more fun and try to take some time off once in a while.

2. Now you see it, now you don't.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Work4 Labs full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some real talent there; caring people having a good time. The French talent pipeline is a nice little market advantage, and means smart, hungry grads are incoming regularly. Enterprise recruitment via social is indeed a growth area.

Cons

Product is not sticky enough to fight off larger, more powerful competitors (in other words, "social recruiting" turns out to be too niche for a population, HR, that is more comfortable with large, existing solutions that can just "add social.") Paper-thin upper management is unreliable, as is funding, and a few random mid-level folks with seniority end up with most of the power. One day W4's hiring and adding a few tools; the next they're laying off people -- or whole departments -- and back to talk about "staying lean." The root problem is that the CEO / board / investors don't know what direction they're going from one moment to the next, and a number of times it came out on us workers... A lot of that is on the CEO, who seems not to know what the real shot-callers are thinking. And while his presence is spotty (which trips up the entire org below him) there's literally no one else at that level to share decision-making, which was even true before several rounds of layoffs claimed most of their US workforce.

Advice to Management

There's no plan to ever be big/important enough to go public. I'm told the CEO was within about $10-12M of desired sale price for the company, but was holding out for his number. My advice: he should take it.

Grab a Life Jacket!

Former Employee - Strategic Account Director in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Strategic Account Director in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Work4 Labs full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You will learn why working for a startup can be a bad idea and what to look out for to avoid these type of companies in your future job search.

Cons

Terrible management. The CEO cant be 100% to blame as he is young and lacks experience.

Advice to Management

Stick with and idea and go without. Constant change is generally not the best way to achieve your goals.

5. Good learning experience

Former Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Work4 Labs full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Opportunity to contribute and wear many hats. Colleagues were fun to be around and we would often go out together around town after work

Cons

Micromanagement comes from the CEO down. Management does not keep promises and can be stingy as far as tools needed for the job.

Advice to Management

Trust employees to do their jobs and have integrity

6. Great company, team, and environment

Current Employee - Sales and Marketing in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Work4 Labs full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A product customers love, supportive and collaborative teams, a fast growing company and growing opportunities inside and across the company. What else can you ask for?

Cons

It's great that so much responsibility is given to younger employees (really!), but a bit more tactical help from managers would be really helpful, in addition to the strategic guidance. More 1:1's and help on process would be great. Some other reviews have mentioned this and it's true, but it's a super hard working place. Definitely be prepared to put in the hours, but overall it's worth it to contribute in such a big way.

Advice to Management

Keep hiring great people, building a great product, and listening to your customers / employees.

A great team moving in the right direction

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Work4 Labs full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The product is cool and interesting, the team is great. I made great friends and I have really enjoyed working with smart, hard working people. Now is a great time to join Work4. They have made the right decisions to focus on customers and make employees happy. The CEO is solid, the executive team has changed a bit since last year which has been good overall: they are great managers, eager to move the needle, to mentor you and let you have an impact. We're moving in the right direction and it feels good. If you're ready to work hard, learn a lot and join a great and dynamic team, this is a great fit.

Cons

Be ready to work hard, there is always lots to do. It's a small team so if you expect to manage a team of people, it might not be what you're looking for career-wise. Also, working in the HR industry is challenging because it's not easy to prove the ROI of your solution.

Advice to Management

Keep making the right choices for employees and customers. We're going in the right direction!

30 days in, no complaints at all!

I have been working at Work4 Labs full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This is my 3rd startup and by far the most unique. Unique that the HQ is in France and the CEO has moved to SF to open this office and be closer to silicon valley. So there is a major French influence in all areas. Other great 'pro's': location, great culture (havent seen any of the mentioned negavtivity - likely those are from former regime), leadership is accessible and great product/vision.

Cons

I haven't experienced anything to speak of yet. We do share our floor with two other smaller companies so finding available conference rooms sometimes is a challenge.

Advice to Management

Keep it up! I especially appreciate the open communication and access. I've had a great experience so far and really like that even at our size, culture and employee satisfaction is a priority.

Things must have definitely changed for the better.

Current Employee - Web Developer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Web Developer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Work4 Labs full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Work4 has been a blast since I joined up in February. Fun people, cool products, fun startup office environment, amazing location etc. The Franco/American mix is really really cool and pretty unique to Work4 in San Francisco. Whether it's product, ops, marketing, sales - everyone seems to get along really well. They do a great job interviewing and making sure that everyone works well together which is really nice. I've worked in previous companies where this hasn't been the case which is really refreshing. Maybe they teach this stuff at Harvard - who knows.

Cons

Honestly, I was a little worried about starting here after reading the glassdoor reviews but haven't really seen much of this myself. I'm thinking maybe things were pretty bad a year or so ago but there's some new blood in management in almost every aspect of the organization over the last year months and it's been a lot of fun. Maybe work/life balance if I had to be super picky but it hasn't been a requirement I've done this to myself!

Advice to Management

Keep it up! Some of these recent initiatives have been great for the employees. Any company that makes employee satisfaction a company wide priority is something I'm happy to be a part of. From what I can tell, they've done a great job of weeding out their prior issues because for me It's been a great time here since day 1.

amazing startup spirit - but startups aren't for everyone!

Current Employee - Product Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Work4 Labs full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's disappointing to read some of the other reviews here, but also misleading. True, the company has had a lot of interns in the past - like any company with a presence in France. Universities there require 6 month internships as part of a degree, so the French co-founders actively participate in the top universities and support students with internships in both our Paris and SF offices. Many have made amazing contributions - as with our full-time employees, interns can take on as much responsibility as they want, getting access to people, information, operational insight about companies, etc that would never be possible in a huge company. That being said, if you've never worked in a startup before (and/or this is your first "real world" job), it can be overwhelming. Yes, we work hard, but we play hard too. And yes, because internships are for 6 month periods according to the university curriculum, there's turnover. Personally, I love the team, company culture, and most of all the startup spirit. If you want to be part of a team and have immediate and significant impact, and part of a tech company that will disrupt an industry and be really successful, this is the place!

Cons

Communication between teams can be confusing or disorganized, but this is improving. Less flashy/wasteful than some startups in terms of posh office furniture or luxe perks (unlimited PTO, free food - yes, but in-office massages for engineers, 10k for your dream computer etc - not so much).

Advice to Management

More interaction with junior people on other teams, don't just rely on a department's manager to report employee feedback to the exec team.

Great place to work

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Work4 Labs full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great place to work for tech guys. The CTO is by far the best boss I've ever had : knowledgeable, good technically, always knows what everyone is working on. And at the same time really human, understanding when you encounter unforeseen difficulties. Very flexible work hours and WFH policies as long as you do your fair share of work. Really nice environment to work in more generally, especially if you're young : almost everyone is in their twenties, made a lot of friends.

Cons

Be sure to discuss early on with your boss what her/his personal time-off policy is, because the company policy of 'unlimited PTO' is quite weird and ill-defined otherwise.

Advice to Management

Get rid of this 'unlimited PTO' policy.

RSS Feed </> Embed