Workday

Workday Reviews

Updated Apr 14, 2014

Workday Co-CEO, Co-Founder & Chairman Aneel Bhusri

Aneel Bhusri

Pros:
  • "My work-life balance is respected by both my peers and management"
    in 6 reviews
  • "Great people and a really great company"
    in 8 reviews
Cons:
  • "Long hours but this is understandable given company's stage of growth"
    in 6 reviews
  • "They push you to vote for them to be one of the best companies in the bay area"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Pleasant applications development intern experience

Associate Applications Developer (Current Employee)
Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Workday as an intern for less than a year

ProsThe office had a laid back atmosphere, the other employees were extremely friendly and outgoing. Everyone was helpful and it seemed like the other employees wanted me to succeed.

ConsTheir framework is unconventional and may take some time to get used to. It was a while before I could confidently start developing something without constantly needing guidance.

All that glitters is not gold

Software Engineer (Former Employee)
Pleasanton, CA

I worked at Workday full-time for more than a year

Pros- If you are the type who takes instructions and follows them without any space or time for creativity join this firm
- If you also are the type who work better under inefficient leaders - Join this Company

Cons- I agree with everyone else on this portal about Workday's Clicky culture - If you are in the in crowd you get away with almost anything.
- There is no room for innovation or creativity, coz you are expected to follow procedure every single second of your time here. Creativity is for the higher ups, if you are in the low rung and want to be creative you are going to be shot down almost immediately.
- The nickname - WorkDaynNight is very true. Hence no work life balance at all.
- Don't expect your manager to help you figure out your career; strengths or weaknesses. She will have no interest or intention to contribute to your professional growth.
- Benefits are the worst a Bay Area Tech company can ever offer.

This is the part that is most frustrating - They do not like you moving around teams. They discourage that with all their might.

ps: The key to success here is to suck up to HR; There is very little sense of confidentiality in that department.

Advice to Senior ManagementPost IPO phase for any company is tough -- tread carefully; compensate and appreciate employee; Review your benefits; don't try so hard to behave like a big firm.

Great Company

I have been working at Workday full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat health care, growing company

Consemployee perks are few but on the rise

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the workday way and culture #1.

incredible work environment

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Pleasanton, CA

I worked at Workday as an intern for less than a year

ProsGreat atmosphere, competitive working environment, high collaboration, All in all a great fun company to work for that is a "work hard, play hard" mentality

ConsCan sometimes work really long hours to finish up a project before the deadline. When you get onboarded you get thrown right into the mix of things which can be overwhelming

Advice to Senior ManagementHelp out the new hires so that they become familiar faster with the company

Workday - a good place to join the cloud

I have been working at Workday full-time for more than 3 years

ProsVery smart team - easy access to resources

ConsToo many hours - no work/family balance

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work

Workday is a great place for smart and creative people

I have been working at Workday full-time for more than 5 years

ProsAt Workday, you'll work with the best and the brightest. Everyday you get to be inspired by someone with whom you work, and you get to try things you've never done. Workday is a very flat organization, which means that your voice always matters. Workday is filled with people who are givers rather than takers, as the culture is built on collaboration rather than politics.

ConsI've never worked as many hours as I work at Workday. The pace can either be invigorating or draining, depending on your personality.

Advice to Senior ManagementFor the most part, Workday's management seems terrific. It's great to have a visionary CEO, and to have people who really seem to care about the future of Workday as managers.

Opportunity if you are in the "in" crowd

I have been working at Workday full-time for more than 3 years

ProsCompany is growing fast and gaining market share. Good ride while the other ERP companies struggle to get in the cloud.

ConsVery cliquey, and if you are not Peoplesoft alumni, your career options are limited.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize and utilize experience of employees who have other than Peoplesoft backgrounds. Give the over 30 yo new hires as warm a welcome as the new college graduate kids.

Great place to get suckered into with empty promises

I have been working at Workday

ProsWorkday has generally a great product and innovative technology. They are on course to become market leaders in a very competitive space with room for growth and expansion. There are some good coworkers to be had with lots of industry and technology experience. Good place to grow your career and explore (especially for younger new grads).

ConsPay is horrifically below industry standards (especially for the Bay Area). Even being here for over a year, the promise of a pay raise is just a dream that's teased by upper management and HR (many people can attest and have left because of this). Even post-IPO, many people had hoped that pay raises and compensation normalization would come quickly, as of this writing, this has yet to come. Like many reviews here, unless you were here in the early days, you will not be cashing out a ton of money from the IPO.

There are 'in' crowds and 'out' crowds, your experience here will vary by which crowd you get into.

The 'best company in the bay area' claim is such a joke. The bagels (which you get sick of), free fruit (which only come 2x a week) do not offset the bad company benefits, lack of any other relevant 'extras', lack of bonuses, promotion, etc. The claims in that 'award' is a lie and is clearly a bribe from HR to boost applicant volume.

If you're considering a career at Workday, proceed with caution and come in with very low expectations.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop kidding yourselves and listen to employee's plights if you really do 'care'

Great learning experience; Politics are subtle but dangerous

Marketing (Former Employee)

I worked at Workday full-time for more than 3 years

Pros* Fabulous technology
* Experienced leaders
* Great potential for growth and world domination

Cons* Political scene among leadership is subtle, but when the big dogs don't like something/one, watch out
* Coworkers are not as helpful to each other as I expected them to be / they describe in their culture
* They underpay in salary (but it's made up in stock)

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in some training to managers. Discourage "territory building" amongst higher level VPs. Compensate people in salary at market rates please.

Mgr

I have been working at Workday

ProsThis is a great place to work

Consdoes not pay that well

Worked for Workday? Contribute to the Community!

Workday Videos

Workday – Why Work for Us?

The Enterprise Cloud for HR and Finance In 2005, longtime friends and software visionaries Dave Duffield and Aneel Bhusri set out to change an industry. They started with a clean sheet of paper and combined decades of… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Workday reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Workday CEO Aneel Bhusri. All 113 reviews posted anonymously by Workday employees.