Workday

Workday Reviews

Updated Jul 16, 2014

Workday CEO, Co-Founder & Chairman Aneel Bhusri

Aneel Bhusri

Pros
  • My work-life balance is respected by both my peers and management(in 7 reviews)

• Great people and a really great company(in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours but this is understandable given company's stage of growth(in 6 reviews)

• They push you to vote for them to be one of the best companies in the bay area(in 5 reviews)

Workday is a great place for smart and creative people

ProsAt Workday, you'll work with the best and the brightest. Everyday you get to be inspired by someone with whom you work, and you get to try things you've never done. Workday is a very flat organization, which means that your voice always matters. Workday is filled with people who are givers rather than takers, as the culture is built on collaboration rather than politics.

ConsI've never worked as many hours as I work at Workday. The pace can either be invigorating or draining, depending on your personality.

Advice to Senior ManagementFor the most part, Workday's management seems terrific. It's great to have a visionary CEO, and to have people who really seem to care about the future of Workday as managers.

Exciting, discovering and building the future of ERP-Cloud.

Talent Acquisition Recruitment (Current Employee) Amsterdam (Netherlands)

Pros- Great to work for true ERP-could business
    - Winning business of the legacy SW enterprise
    - Start-up with intelligence, ambition and longterm vision
    - Great Leadership, greater employers.

Cons- A start-up is not for everybody
    - short lines of communication and efficient lines can be difficult when not used to it.
    - Very senior people with a "can do" and "will win" mentality can be confrontational

Advice to Senior Management- Keep zooming in on the floor
    - Keep excluding and not accepting average in everything you plan and execute.

Helpful People, Great Enviroment

Software Development Intern (Current Employee) Pleasanton, CA

ProsGreat staff, wonderful community especially for interns. Plenty of work to do.

ConsLocation is a bit offsetting but you get used to it.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep on keeping on.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Exiting place to be.

ProsCulture
    People
    Growth
    Being part of something special and very unique.

ConsNo convicts work here, why do you ask?

Great internship program

UI Engineer - Intern (Former Employee) Pleasanton, CA

Pros- Interns get to do real work for the company
    - Well paid
    - Flexible start and end dates
    - Flexible work hours
    - Great learning experience
    - Lots of other interns to hang out with
    - Guest speakers helped me learn about other areas of the company

Cons- Mandatory intern events distracted from work
    - It took several weeks before I was assigned to a project and become part of a Scrum team.

Wonderful company with great prospects. Extremely supportive.

Associate Software Engineer (Former Employee) Pleasanton, CA

Pros- Great benefits
    - Clear an apparent advancement opportunities
    - Supportive leadership offering mentorship where appropriate
    - Flexible, understanding working environment
    - Clean modular codebase
    - Willingness to listen to newcomers' ideas

Cons- Too much training
    - Not enough pressure to push yourself
    - Social events and startup attitude seem forced for such a large company
    - App development platform is very slow and cumbersome to use

Advice to Senior ManagementWhile I think they have created an excellent product and a great place to work, they are underutilizing their engineering staff. This obviously affects different people differently, but there is no real pressure to push yourself. Thsis is a severe mismanagment of the high-potential talent. At best, it leads to suboptimal performance; at worst, it leads to boredom and loss of talent.

Also, the training is far too cushy and extensive. Research has demonstrated time and time again the superior effectiveness of on-the-job training, but Workday instead forces employees to attend

Fun, Fast and Friendly

ProsSuper smart, engaged and fun people who are really passionate about the products and their customers

ConsGrowing very quickly so sometimes things seem a bit scattered. It's still a start up -- albeit a very sophisticated start up.

Advice to Senior ManagementDelegate

Great company with unlimited opportunity...

Associate Consultant (Current Employee) Pleasanton, CA

Pros- Flat organization
    - Accessible executive leadership
    - Innovative
    - High Growth
    - Amazing culture
    - Great people
    - Opportunity for upward mobility

Cons- High-Growth can be exciting, but stressful

Advice to Senior ManagementAs we continue to grow, we would love to maintain the visibility and accessibility we currently have to learn from all of you

Workday is a company determined to keep its customers and employees happy... and it shows!

Associate Applications Developer (Former Employee) Pleasanton, CA

ProsWorkday is a fast-growing company that aims to deliver a high-quality SaaS product, but also does not overwork its employees. Company culture includes an annual company picnic, bring your child to Workday, and various company-sponsored events (note, this was all during one summer as an intern).

ConsThe proprietary application development language is not something you can put on a resume, but the development and problem-solving skills you learn by using it can.

Great Internship

Associate Applications Developer (Former Employee) Pleasanton, CA

ProsFormal training, great people, and easy to contribute. People can work from home and whatever hours as long as work gets done. Very nice people, no politics. As employee, I felt as if I was contributing and was useful. There was always someone there to help when I needed it.

ConsProprietary language may not be transferable, however, the skills of development in general are. Application Development framework has pesky limitations.

Worked for Workday? Contribute to the Community!