Workday

Workday Reviews

Updated Jun 30, 2014

Workday CEO, Co-Founder & Chairman Aneel Bhusri

Aneel Bhusri

Pros:
  • "My work-life balance is respected by both my peers and management"
    in 7 reviews
  • "Great people and a really great company"
    in 8 reviews
Cons:
  • "Long hours but this is understandable given company's stage of growth"
    in 6 reviews
  • "They push you to vote for them to be one of the best companies in the bay area"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Fast paced exciting company

Sales Manager (Current Employee)

ProsSuccessful company
    Good product and happy customers
    Work hard; play hard

ConsEveryone seems to work very long hours and you need to be OK with this to be successful
    Corporate culture and values doesn't always translate to the actual work environment

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep your people happy and you will keep your customers happy

Interesting company to work for

Product Manager (Current Employee)
    Pleasanton, CA

ProsWorkday is truly re-inventing how ERP systems work. Having been in ERP for 10 years, there is the opportunity to make business processes more efficient utilizing object modeling. That coupled with being SAAS makes for some interesting work.

Workday is really telecommuter friendly; they don't care where you work as long as you are available and you meet your deadlines.

I do believe the founders of the company want people to enjoy where they work. Lots of company events, a couple of game rooms, and people joking around make for a good environment even with the high workload. (The CEO does expect you to work). Certain departments are more stressful than others.

ConsHealth care and 401K options are disappointing; I've had better at other companies this size. Also the corporate culture can wear on you over time.

Advice to Senior ManagementRe-examine the health care benefits. I feel strongly that we are not getting the best value for what we pay.

Senior Software Engineer

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)
    Pleasanton, CA

ProsNice people/management, challenging projects, cool technology

ConsI have no cons so far

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Technical

Senior Applications Developer (Current Employee)
    Pleasanton, CA

ProsWork flexibility, good pay, fun

ConsNoisy working conditions, no private phones, nice but tough, too much of a cult environment.

Great company for new college grads

Corporate Sales Development (Current Employee)
    Pleasanton, CA

ProsManagement and senior employees take a genuine interest in your success and future, as well as your current job satisfaction. Company culture is unparalleled. Free bagels every day, plus fruit twice/week. The people at Workday are laid back, genuine people, who are ambitious and driven to see the company succeed. We are led by Dave Duffield, whose down-to-earth nature and core values resonate throughout the company.

ConsSo much fast-paced growth creates a lot of shifts within the organization. Particularly within my department, there are shifts on a quarterly basis. Some people respond well to these shifts and others would prefer more continuity.
    Also, no employer match for the 401k (at this time)

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to maintain the great company culture as we grow.

It's challenging and fun

Associate Software Engineer (Current Employee)
    Pleasanton, CA

ProsGreat resources, great people, great culture, and free bagels! There are lots of things to do with Workday, both at and outside of work. We have fun, and we produce. That's the way it should be.

ConsThere really aren't any cons. This place is fun and challenging to work at.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up, management.

Great people , great company, great leadership

Principal Consultant (Current Employee)
    Pleasanton, CA

ProsWorkday is a company full of smart and dedicated people that work their butts off. I love coming to work and being around professionals that are willing to help each other and listen to each other.

ConsSeems like the company has started inserting many levels of management and not sure what they all do

Advice to Senior ManagementGrow existing talent

"Bait and Switch"

Corporate Sales Development (Former Employee)

ProsDisruptive technology
    Impressive brand name customers
    Top leadership well respected in the industry
    IPO on the horizon
    Chance to make a mark on a promising new company

ConsThe term "bait and switch" comes to mind when thinking about my experience at Workday. I was sold on the idea of joining up with a hot company that values building and grooming talent. That is the whole premise of what Workday's very own product is supposed to provide...isn't it? I was promised that there would be ample opportunities to explore different areas within the organization and grow my career. Soon after joining the team, I came to the harsh realization that was not the case.

The leadership of the sales development team quickly proved that they make empty promises. The idea of "talent management" and helping employees to grow is nothing more than a feel-good slogan on the front page of the website. Employees are not treated in a respectful and adult manner, and are openly criticized in front of peers. Team morale only continues to decrease, and there is no improvement in sight.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you want to continue to attract top talent, you better start taking a look at how well the current talent gets treated by those you put in management positions.

Great company, bad department

Corporate Sales Development (Current Employee)
    Pleasanton, CA

ProsWorkday is a great company, has a phenomenal product, and is for the most part very well managed. It also has very good values that it tries to embody in every aspect of their business and how they treat employees

ConsThe values I just mentioned don't seem to be equally carried out in every department.
    The inside sales department is run in a fashion that doesn't represent the values the owners work so hard at implementing, which is a shame.
    Also, there seems to be rampant nepotism going on.

Good break after graduating from UC Berkeley

Software Engineer (Current Employee)
    Pleasanton, CA

ProsLaid back attitude, allowed to work from home sometimes, good work-life balance are all great parts of working at Workday. Also, the company is successful and generally people are upbeat. Also nobody gets fired here. So considering the company outlook, this is a great place to work if your priority is job security and low stress.

ConsLimited exposure to widely used frameworks and development tools--this is especially true for Application Developers. On the Tools team you get more exposure, but it's mostly just Java and a little bit of XML processing. The problem is a "Not Invented Here" attitude, that results in more work for you and fewer employable skills to gain. A little too much company kool-aid; sometimes the hype gets to me. Not all managers are top notch (they get fired more rarely than employees) and some are just plain ineffective and annoying (but most of them were at least developers at some point). Also pay is low.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive your employees enough work to feel like they are productive. Don't be a nervous nanny, nobody likes a micro-manager (a little bit of an epidemic here). Treat your employees like adults, not kids.

Worked for Workday? Contribute to the Community!

Workday Videos

Workday – Why Work for Us?

The Enterprise Cloud for HR and Finance In 2005, longtime friends and software visionaries Dave Duffield and Aneel Bhusri set out to change an industry. They started with a clean sheet of paper and combined decades of… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Workday reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Workday CEO Aneel Bhusri. All 124 reviews posted anonymously by Workday employees.