Workday Reviews

Reset
4.2
Workday CEO, Co-Founder & Chairman Aneel Bhusri
Aneel Bhusri

Pros
  • Decent Work-Life Balance depending upon your role (in 11 reviews)

• Great product and huge market momentum (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Pay is horrifically below industry standards (especially for the Bay Area) (in 7 reviews)

• Can sometimes work really long hours to finish up a project before the deadline (in 6 reviews)

Corporate snake pit if you are on the wrong side of the political animals

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Walnut Creek, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Walnut Creek, CA

I worked at Workday

Pros

Good potential for IPO, if you have the right manager it can be a great place to work

Cons

Toxic political environment, all the downsides of a large company crammed into a startup

Advice to Management

Don't pigeon hole people and learn to accept criticism freely

Work Here if You Crave Bad Management, No Career Path, and Low Salary

I have been working at Workday

Pros

The product and development environment are definitely cool, and customers seem happy. Lots of very nice, humble people who could be working somewhere where they'd be better appreciated. Also, it's close to BART and a very nice mall, but you probably can't afford to shop there. Close to 680, but traffic noise makes being outside fairly unpleasant.

Cons

Hierarchical and inflexible. Middle managers from PeopleSoft appear threatened by any staff member who has better ideas for productivity improvements. Low pay compared to other Bay Area tech companies seems to be a PeopleSoft tradition. Take it or leave it. Only a few people really seem to work very hard. This was one of the oddest and most unpleasant work experiences I've had.

Advice to Management

Create an environment in which people can honestly say if they're happy with their manager. Ask people if they have ideas that could help their team. Pay people competitively. Reward good ideas. Stop with the cult and herd mentality. You don't deserve most of the good people you have, and there are some real losers in your management ranks.

If you choose to work here, you are making a mistake!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA

I worked at Workday

Pros

Exceptional technology, helpful well intentioned but completely disempowered middle management.

Cons

-Senior Executive leadership dictatorial approach is formula for failure. -While claimed domain expertise is HR, HR systems are lacking, sub-par integration with benefit providers (I still get mail and email from benefit providers as if i work there!) and well below market benefits and compensation packages. -HR and legal team way over their heads -Middle management completely powerless and has no control over their domain. -Culture is not as described. It is long workdays for low pay and no loyalty in return

Advice to Management

Good luck on your way to the scrap heap history with all the other companies with good technology, an outstanding founder who "let it get away" by entrusting the company to the wrong people. My advice is to make Sr. Leadership change NOW or all your great ideas will be for naught. Stretching the truth about customers and customer stories, about technology capabilities, about internal expertise only works for a while. Tell the truth! Practice what you preach regarding HR practices!

The IPO Train is full steam ahead..Hang on tight, or you might get run over

Current Employee - Applications Developer in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Applications Developer in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Workday

Pros

Next to Facebook, Workday's IPO is the most exciting in Silicon Valley. Cutting edge technology. The rate at which Workday can develop product is unbelievable, leaving our competition struggling to keep up. Vacation time was increased this year, and if the company hits its goals. Company meetings are fun, celebrities such as Captain Sully and Steve Young have attended in the past. We poke fun of our competition at the meetings,portraying SAP employees doing the goose step, and there is even art work of Larry Ellison being flushed a toilet at the company headquarters. Needless to say, product confidence is very high.

Cons

There is a lot of money at stake at Workday. Not only are the investments of our founders on the line, several millions of the famous Bay Area Tech funders and CEO's have there money wrapped up in Workday. As a result, things have tightened up. Salaries haven't been raised in years, and stock is being guarded tight. As it stands, the amount of work vs resources is stretched thin, and every overhead cost is scrutinized.

Advice to Management

Look past 2012. The IPO is a very big milestone, however, building a sustainable company with good morale is of even greater importance. The IPO is going to make several people very happy and wealthy, but is that enough to retain talent and create a company for the future?

Stay away if you are a smart technical person

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Workday full-time

Pros

Good culture, fun activities (a huge thank to employee programs team), work-life balance, strong CEO/founders

Cons

the company runs on technology written in 2000 even though its still "new" for HCM business. Irrespective of that if you are a smart technical person there are tons of reason why you should NOT join here unless you want to work for a government like job 1. innovation is highly discouraged and you can not change anything in the architecture/code unless you are one of the very few who joined the company in the initial stages. You are highly encouraged to be part of status quo and do whatever they asked you to do in the way they asked you to do. 2. EVERY decision has to be stamped by the few architects. If they don't understand it or don't wanna do it however compelling it is or how much of data you have to prove it, you can not do it. 3. You will sometimes encounter situations where you come up with ideas and they get shot down or ignored. But later, in few weeks, when an old timer suggests the same thing, everybody applauds it and rush to do it. 4. Unless you are part of one of the core teams, you will be working on their proprietary language which is about "clicking on sh*t" as they say it. It will make you a slave of the system and you won't learn anything. In fact, your value and your thinking abilities will go down drastically over time. You won't be able to use that experience in the future for your next job. 5. A lot of leaders in groups are either unaware of or afraid of new technologies. They don't want to even experiment with those and prototype new concepts unless they are comfortable with it. Always think in terms of how its gonna make there work complicated. In general, they have an old system even they are sick of keeping. But none of them want to rock the boat too much since its gonna affect their stocks at the end. The founders are wonderful to talk to and listen to and talks about the importance of innovation. But sadly innovation is really discouraged as long as the old timers are around. They have gotten comfortable with keeping a patched system and failing system than taking risks to improve things with new blood. If you want to improve yourself in few years, not afraid of taking risk and do innovative things don't even think about joining here. But if you want to find a place to peacefully retire, come at 9am and leave at 5pm, this is an ideal place.

Advice to Management

I attended the core values presentation and it talks about how important the innovation is. But sadly its not the case inside the engineering organization. Innovation is highly discouraged and gets shot down immediately if its not coming from an old timer. Also, every thing has to be stamped by an architect and those guys are not ready to take risks, research on new architectures/concepts. The company growth in terms of technology is limited by those few people. If the things needs to be improved, then there should be an environment for the newcomers to take risks prove concepts and move those into production. For now, everything is blocked. Even as an HCM company HR seems to be broken internally. They schedule unrelated interviews for certain candidates with no coordination. Employee referrals are ignored. Some candidates are left in the dark during the recruitment process.

A Cult Cleverly Disguised as a Software Company

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Pleasanton, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Pleasanton, CA

I worked at Workday full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The snack closet. Alas, that was as short lived as my "Career" at Workday.

Cons

There is palpable sense of falseness and fake frivolity that permeates the entire workday experience and work culture. Similarly, there is the same disingenuous tone to most of the positive reviews about workday, no doubt the product of some poor intern recruited by HR to game the review average with glowing accolades of the Workday Experience. Those young men hired right out of school (yes, Workday has the same extreme gender bias like the rest of Silicon Valley) and the interns seem to enjoy this culture of fakeness, perhaps because growing up they always got ribbons and trophies just for participating. Folks like myself, with 20+ years IT experience sense the falseness the moment we walk in the door and start coding. I liken the Workday culture to a cult. Cults typically prey on the young and naive and always have very rich, super controlling charismatic leaders and fiercely loyal lieutenants. And like any good cult, Workday doesn’t want you to leave. I had 4 exit interviews prior to my departure. When I handed my letter of resignation to my boss, instead of taking it graciously and professionally, he instead handed it back to me and said “Oh, we can talk about that later”. My immediate sense of that was, well you didn’t value what I did while I worked for you, while should you value what I say when I quit! As most of the negative (and in my opinion) decidedly accurate reviews indicate, Workday doesn’t pay that great. Their initial salary offer was a lateral increase in pay, justifying it with RSUs that vest over a 4 year period for as a yet unprofitable company. I held out for more salary (a 10% increase in salary), and much to my surprise they met my asking price. Unfortunately, it was all downhill after that. Overall, I felt my time at Workday was frustrating, confusing myriad of half-truths and promises made but never fulfilled, expectations set without timelines, time wasted and on an almost endless cycle of code re-working with out proper guidance, planning or direction. Oh and I did I mention that much of this wasted time occurred on my weekends or during the evening, that time, when according to all the positive reviewers written by that Intern from HR, I am balancing my life with work. The first sign that things were off to a bad start, was ironically my start date with Workday. I tried to push it back about 10 days (in order to get my semi-annual bonus from my previous employer), but the hiring manager was insistent and I stupidly agreed to it. A few months later, I was then hurried out equally quickly of the group I hired into and dumped into another group without prior consent. I strongly felt I was never given a chance to succeed or any kind of feedback on the work I did do. After approximately 2 months I did a performance review of myself that I wrote myself and never received any kind of feedback on that as well! I offered a co-worker approximately 30 documents (in addition to my daily coding tasks) I had written while trying to acclimate into the group. I even gave this same set of document to my Manager, only to have it summarily ignored. My genuine impression is that I was hired merely as a placeholder until the real candidate was available a few months later. The timing of my transfer to the other group I was put in left no question in my mind. This replacement candidate had previously worked with all the other members of my group (did some reviews say clique). The only other outsider within my group was accepted mostly because he seemed to fill the role of the team mascot and cheerleader. I was the true outsider in my group and for this, I was summarily banished because of it. Meetings were another cult like ritual at Workday. The first group I worked in met 3-4 times a week, and the 2nd group I worked in met daily for a 15 minute scrum that always went on for over an hour. All told, I would spend 10-15 hours a week in meetings and these meetings would spread throughout the day. It was genuinely difficult to establish a solid work rhythm when you’re periodically interrupted to talk about the work you’re trying to get done. A few months after I started at Workday, accrued vacation was rescinded. It was announced via an email, of course. There are of course, many more negatives – many of which were expressed in other honest (negative) reviews, such as the chronic back-stabbing, the lying, the Workday HR department that wouldn’t know a hostile workplace environment if they themselves worked in one (and they do) and so forth. I genuinely think it’s a good place for young people to work, especially those right out of college or interns. They can continue to earn their participation ribbons and trophies in the form of RSUs but for experienced IT folks (i.e. those of us who really know what we’re doing), I think it’s fake, it’s a facade, a cult trying way too hard to be(profitable) .Software Company.

Advice to Management

Stop lying.

EPIC FAIL

I worked at Workday full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Workday is built for technology of the 21 st century. I definitely recommend Workday HCM products - definitely on the right technology platform and headed in the right direction. Workday has one of the best UI amongst its peers/competitors. Intuitive, easy to navigate, multiple paths of navigation etc...Easily configurable business processes, communication events and methods, good reporting architecture. Object/Action oriented approach gives another dimension to personnel data management. Not an antiquated relational database.

Cons

No on-boarding at multiple organizational levels post (Corporate) "lift off orientation" – spent a great deal of time operating blind. • On-boarding at "Location Level" was nonexistent. i.e., Next steps? Working From Home? Go to Local Office? Contact Info? Office supplies? • On-boarding at "Departmental Level" was sporadic at best. Very California "centric". • On-boarding at "Team/Job Level" – No real interaction or introductions if you were not in the California offices. No ‘Go-to Person’ as a contact/mentor. Experienced very little peer/colleague camaraderie. "everyone out for themselves" or "got my own problems" or "no time". • On-boarding at "Individual Level" was nonexistent. Travel Policy? Expenses? Emergency Contact List? Appropriate Contact Protocol? Department Manager failed to make expectations clear. - how would individual performance be assessed? - bonus and promotion criteria/opportunities? - clear and written “objectives” that stated accountable and measurable ROI were non-existent. - generalized discussions on “time to productivity” was all over the map depending on conversation and WHO you were speaking with. - never presented with documentation as reference, guidance, expectations or accountability. Terrible, Terrible, Terrible!

Advice to Management

On-boarding is the “mechanism through which new employees acquire the necessary knowledge, skills, and behaviors to become effective organizational members” Helps your "new hires" make the transition to becoming: • productive • well-adjusted • and a happy contributing members of your company/team Post (Corporate) "lift off orientation on-boarding" ranked low on the list of hiring priorities – poorly designed and even more poorly executed if there was one in place. Very disappointing experience. Seems like a lot of emphasis goes into the nurturing of the “young / inexperienced” Grad Programs as opposed to the "seasoned / experienced” colleagues. Felt like a warm body filling a "hire requirement". I never at any given time felt the David Duffield “employee friendly” environment that is boasted. Definitely NOT the same (or better) "employee friendly" family from the old PEOPLESOFT days. And on an ending note: I do support the Workday products. (see Pro's)

Worst employment experience of career

Former Employee - Sales Executive in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Executive in New York, NY

I worked at Workday full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Company has leading a edge product and is rapidly expanding. The business has solid funding and is firmly established in the market.

Cons

Almost too many to mention - Lots of bad middle managers - Corporate culture outside of Head office completely different.- - Sales culture is same old " old school SAP/ORACLE" old boys beef up your chest, kill at all costs approach. - Management very disconnected from corporate "values" - Supremely arrogant company; we are better than everyone else; we have no issues, if you don't like anything we do we can find people lined up to take your job. - Management very hypocritical; " encourages staff to manage expenses " like its your own money" staff does and then management does the exact opposite.

Advice to Management

Clean out the " locker room" old boys sales types in sales management Tone down the " we are the better than everyone else" arrogance. Create an atmosphere and willingness to listen about poor middle managers

Dissapointing!

Former Employee - Product Manager
    Former Employee - Product Manager

I worked at Workday full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are very few, none stand out

Cons

There is no clear on-boarding or training process. New hires are left on their own to figure things out, and co-workers are less than willing to help with questions. Its like some sort of hazing. Most of the people I worked with felt a lack of confidence in their product knowledge, but they would never say that to a manager. operations are hap hazard, and there is no clear path to success. What are employees supposed to know / do and when? People are promoted based on their ability to talk the talk and come off like they know what they are doing. Then they are rewarded for being a one man show and put in charge of a team even though they have no leadership abilities. There is no training for new leaders and new direct reports pay the price. Senior Leaders are more concerned with how thoroughly you fill in your JIRA fields vs. actually leading and ensuing their teams are trained and productive. There is a lot of time spent on non-value work. In order to keep up with the chaos, people are working 7 days a week. If you are a "yes" person, and don't speak up when there is a problem, you may do well here.

Advice to Management

Help get new hires up to speed quickly through team members and training, stop enabling employees to feel like it's ok to not share knowledge and watch the new people struggle. Roll out some leadership training, drive a positive culture throughout the company. Do not reward people for simply having perceived expertise, leadership is about more than that. Stop the chaos, people are incredibly over-worked, which is why they may not want to help new hires with questions in the first place.

Very Political

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Workday full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent Technology and innovation. HCM is the bread and butter. The company is growing but has an Oracle/SAP feel to it...very tough to break in culture wise

Cons

Extremely low pay, poor benefits and immature management team. If you are outside of Pleasanton, it's very hard to figure out how to navigate, most managers assume that you should "just figure it out". In addition, territories are being cut so you may end up with very few accounts to call on and yet your number to reach Quota is huge...it's unrealistic. Very little in the way of upper management support.

RSS Feed </> Embed