Workday

Updated January 31, 2015
4.3

Workday CEO, Co-Founder & Chairman Aneel Bhusri
Aneel Bhusri

Pros
  • With that said, work life balance is respected (at least in the orgs I have experience with) (in 11 reviews)

• Great product and technology - development team at corporate was a blast (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Benefits are the worst a Bay Area Tech company can ever offer (in 7 reviews)

• Can sometimes work really long hours to finish up a project before the deadline (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Corporate snake pit if you are on the wrong side of the political animals

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Walnut Creek, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Walnut Creek, CA

I worked at Workday

Pros

Good potential for IPO, if you have the right manager it can be a great place to work

Cons

Toxic political environment, all the downsides of a large company crammed into a startup

Don't pigeon hole people and learn to accept criticism freely

Professional, hard-working environment

I worked at Workday

Pros

Workday's SaaS-based software is innovative and is gaining customers in human resources and financial management markets. Employees are very positive about the company and the customers. The environment is usually collegial and cooperative. A professional atmosphere is emphasized.

Cons

Many employees started working together at Peoplesoft (now Oracle) and it is difficult to have the same rapport if you don't have that background. There is an emphasis on having experience with human resources and financial management markets even if that isn't your primary job.

Management should seek to value diversity in terms of employee background. It would be nice to see a greater variety of experiences.

Don't work there unless you worked at PeopleSoft and/or don't have a life.

I have been working at Workday

Pros

The company is definitely in high-gear mode and I think it will be tremendously successful, if they can ramp up hiring and continue to execute well. The technology base is good, with caveats noted below.

Cons

The pace is relentless and the work not particularly interesting. Very political, and very much "The Ex-PeopleSoft We Hate Larry" club. The toolset is completely proprietary, and there is explicit lack of investment in the application development environment. Unfortunately, the mindset is "work harder, not smarter" and number of hours in the office (and nights and weekends) are an important metric for success.

Top management is excellent -- I really do think that Dave and Aneel walk on water -- but middle management is poor. Need to reward creativity, not just drone-like groupthink. Good luck hiring/retaining once the economy turns around.

Best Place to Work in the Bay Area

Current Employee - Communications in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Communications in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Workday

Pros

Dedicated to core values
    Respect from colleagues and management across the board
    Enjoyable vibe
    Exciting time for change in industry
    Innovative technology

Cons

Any workday can be a high pressure one.

Stay true to core values and customers.

Great place to work if you think CRM is exciting.

Former Employee - Accounts Payable Specialist
    Former Employee - Accounts Payable Specialist

I worked at Workday

Pros

Casual Atmosphere
    They pay very well even to the lower positions
    Successful Company

Cons

Boring service, I didn't feel excited to help the company grow.

Give more appreciation and reviews of their workers.

Workday is the best place to work!

I have been working at Workday

Pros

There is a lot of room for career advancement and development
    Very strong leadership
    Recognition/Reward based on performance
    Surrounded by talented people
    A fun place to work with pool tournaments, wine tasting, and Friday get-togethers
    Innovative, leading edge technology
    Forward thinking company

Cons

While Workday can be "clique-y" if you're not an ex-PeopleSofter you can still get ahead in the company. I never worked at PeopleSoft, but have worked smart & hard at Workday and have been rewarded with promotions and the training I need to help make my career successful. They are investing and "taking a chance on me" and I am putting in all my effort to make it pay off.

Keep up the momentum! Workday will be enormously successful.

Workday is on fire! This is one fast moving, fast growing, great company.

I have been working at Workday

Pros

If you like fast paced...and I mean, fast paced, hungry, passionate places to work - Workday is it. With extreme success so far, this company is going places. The people are great, management is driven and experienced, and opportunities abound.

Cons

Lots to do in little time, so the work load and expectations are high, but huge opportunities should come out of it.

Stay focused and always remember honest communication is key.

Great Start-up company to work for

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA

I worked at Workday

Pros

Communication is free and open between different teams, which is comparable to the rest of the software industry. It's a very tight knit company despite its growing size. Has free bagels and coffee every morning. flexible work time.

Cons

Pay is relatively average.
    It's hard to advance within the company.
    Company location is not in the city.
    Innovation is treated with care, but it's necessary because it's offered as a service

Keep up the great job, you have developed a sustainable company culture, as you establish workday as a reputable company, i think it's necessary to recruit more young people

Work Here if You Crave Bad Management, No Career Path, and Low Salary

I have been working at Workday

Pros

The product and development environment are definitely cool, and customers seem happy. Lots of very nice, humble people who could be working somewhere where they'd be better appreciated. Also, it's close to BART and a very nice mall, but you probably can't afford to shop there. Close to 680, but traffic noise makes being outside fairly unpleasant.

Cons

Hierarchical and inflexible. Middle managers from PeopleSoft appear threatened by any staff member who has better ideas for productivity improvements. Low pay compared to other Bay Area tech companies seems to be a PeopleSoft tradition. Take it or leave it. Only a few people really seem to work very hard. This was one of the oddest and most unpleasant work experiences I've had.

Create an environment in which people can honestly say if they're happy with their manager. Ask people if they have ideas that could help their team. Pay people competitively. Reward good ideas. Stop with the cult and herd mentality. You don't deserve most of the good people you have, and there are some real losers in your management ranks.

An Excellent Place to Work!

I have been working at Workday

Pros

Workday has restored my belief that corporate America can provide jobs that are fun, rewarding and challenging. My managers have respect for my work/life balance and I feel I can give honest feedback to anyone in the company (including upper management). My coworkers all seem genuinely enthusiastic about their jobs and that makes a huge difference for my attitude too. Recently I was walking through the development cubes and saw a developer staring intently at his screen with a wide smile on his face. I figured he was looking a youtube video, but when I peeked at the screen I saw that he was working on some code. He, like many other people I have seen around the office, just seemed to be enjoying his work. It's a refreshing and contagious attitude that I really enjoy at Workday.
    Of course having Dave Duffield as Co-CEO is fantastic. He is a great person, genuine and welcoming with a drive to build a company that lasts. The other thing that is really powerful about having Dave as Co-CEO is that he attracts really talented people based on his excellent (and deserved) reputation. I really feel honored to be part of the team at Workday.

Cons

I wish I was closer to the HQ (I work from home) so that I could participate in more of the company activities. A vast majority of the staff are very experienced, but we will need to start hiring junior people that can grow as the company matures. I realize that the executives are working hard on this, but it will be an ongoing challenge.

Finding great junior people will be an ongoing challenge for Workday. Over time we will end up with a generation gap that will be difficult to fill if we don't work hard on recruiting college grads and people new to the industry.