Workday

Workday Reviews

Updated Jun 30, 2014

Workday CEO, Co-Founder & Chairman Aneel Bhusri

Aneel Bhusri

Pros:
  • "My work-life balance is respected by both my peers and management"
    in 7 reviews
  • "Great people and a really great company"
    in 8 reviews
Cons:
  • "Long hours but this is understandable given company's stage of growth"
    in 6 reviews
  • "They push you to vote for them to be one of the best companies in the bay area"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Corporate snake pit if you are on the wrong side of the political animals

Walnut Creek, CA

ProsGood potential for IPO, if you have the right manager it can be a great place to work

ConsToxic political environment, all the downsides of a large company crammed into a startup

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't pigeon hole people and learn to accept criticism freely

Professional, hard-working environment

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsWorkday's SaaS-based software is innovative and is gaining customers in human resources and financial management markets. Employees are very positive about the company and the customers. The environment is usually collegial and cooperative. A professional atmosphere is emphasized.

ConsMany employees started working together at Peoplesoft (now Oracle) and it is difficult to have the same rapport if you don't have that background. There is an emphasis on having experience with human resources and financial management markets even if that isn't your primary job.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement should seek to value diversity in terms of employee background. It would be nice to see a greater variety of experiences.

Don't work there unless you worked at PeopleSoft and/or don't have a life.

Pleasanton, CA

ProsThe company is definitely in high-gear mode and I think it will be tremendously successful, if they can ramp up hiring and continue to execute well. The technology base is good, with caveats noted below.

ConsThe pace is relentless and the work not particularly interesting. Very political, and very much "The Ex-PeopleSoft We Hate Larry" club. The toolset is completely proprietary, and there is explicit lack of investment in the application development environment. Unfortunately, the mindset is "work harder, not smarter" and number of hours in the office (and nights and weekends) are an important metric for success.

Advice to Senior ManagementTop management is excellent -- I really do think that Dave and Aneel walk on water -- but middle management is poor. Need to reward creativity, not just drone-like groupthink. Good luck hiring/retaining once the economy turns around.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Best Place to Work in the Bay Area

Communications (Current Employee)

ProsDedicated to core values
    Respect from colleagues and management across the board
    Enjoyable vibe
    Exciting time for change in industry
    Innovative technology

ConsAny workday can be a high pressure one.

Advice to Senior ManagementStay true to core values and customers.

Great place to work if you think CRM is exciting.

Accounts Payable Specialist (Former Employee)

ProsCasual Atmosphere
    They pay very well even to the lower positions
    Successful Company

ConsBoring service, I didn't feel excited to help the company grow.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive more appreciation and reviews of their workers.

Workday is the best place to work!

Pleasanton, CA

ProsThere is a lot of room for career advancement and development
    Very strong leadership
    Recognition/Reward based on performance
    Surrounded by talented people
    A fun place to work with pool tournaments, wine tasting, and Friday get-togethers
    Innovative, leading edge technology
    Forward thinking company

ConsWhile Workday can be "clique-y" if you're not an ex-PeopleSofter you can still get ahead in the company. I never worked at PeopleSoft, but have worked smart & hard at Workday and have been rewarded with promotions and the training I need to help make my career successful. They are investing and "taking a chance on me" and I am putting in all my effort to make it pay off.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the momentum! Workday will be enormously successful.

Workday is on fire! This is one fast moving, fast growing, great company.

ProsIf you like fast paced...and I mean, fast paced, hungry, passionate places to work - Workday is it. With extreme success so far, this company is going places. The people are great, management is driven and experienced, and opportunities abound.

ConsLots to do in little time, so the work load and expectations are high, but huge opportunities should come out of it.

Advice to Senior ManagementStay focused and always remember honest communication is key.

Great Start-up company to work for

Pleasanton, CA

ProsCommunication is free and open between different teams, which is comparable to the rest of the software industry. It's a very tight knit company despite its growing size. Has free bagels and coffee every morning. flexible work time.

ConsPay is relatively average.
    It's hard to advance within the company.
    Company location is not in the city.
    Innovation is treated with care, but it's necessary because it's offered as a service

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great job, you have developed a sustainable company culture, as you establish workday as a reputable company, i think it's necessary to recruit more young people

Work Here if You Crave Bad Management, No Career Path, and Low Salary

Pleasanton, CA

ProsThe product and development environment are definitely cool, and customers seem happy. Lots of very nice, humble people who could be working somewhere where they'd be better appreciated. Also, it's close to BART and a very nice mall, but you probably can't afford to shop there. Close to 680, but traffic noise makes being outside fairly unpleasant.

ConsHierarchical and inflexible. Middle managers from PeopleSoft appear threatened by any staff member who has better ideas for productivity improvements. Low pay compared to other Bay Area tech companies seems to be a PeopleSoft tradition. Take it or leave it. Only a few people really seem to work very hard. This was one of the oddest and most unpleasant work experiences I've had.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate an environment in which people can honestly say if they're happy with their manager. Ask people if they have ideas that could help their team. Pay people competitively. Reward good ideas. Stop with the cult and herd mentality. You don't deserve most of the good people you have, and there are some real losers in your management ranks.

An Excellent Place to Work!

ProsWorkday has restored my belief that corporate America can provide jobs that are fun, rewarding and challenging. My managers have respect for my work/life balance and I feel I can give honest feedback to anyone in the company (including upper management). My coworkers all seem genuinely enthusiastic about their jobs and that makes a huge difference for my attitude too. Recently I was walking through the development cubes and saw a developer staring intently at his screen with a wide smile on his face. I figured he was looking a youtube video, but when I peeked at the screen I saw that he was working on some code. He, like many other people I have seen around the office, just seemed to be enjoying his work. It's a refreshing and contagious attitude that I really enjoy at Workday.
    Of course having Dave Duffield as Co-CEO is fantastic. He is a great person, genuine and welcoming with a drive to build a company that lasts. The other thing that is really powerful about having Dave as Co-CEO is that he attracts really talented people based on his excellent (and deserved) reputation. I really feel honored to be part of the team at Workday.

ConsI wish I was closer to the HQ (I work from home) so that I could participate in more of the company activities. A vast majority of the staff are very experienced, but we will need to start hiring junior people that can grow as the company matures. I realize that the executives are working hard on this, but it will be an ongoing challenge.

Advice to Senior ManagementFinding great junior people will be an ongoing challenge for Workday. Over time we will end up with a generation gap that will be difficult to fill if we don't work hard on recruiting college grads and people new to the industry.

Worked for Workday? Contribute to the Community!

Workday Videos

Workday – Why Work for Us?

The Enterprise Cloud for HR and Finance In 2005, longtime friends and software visionaries Dave Duffield and Aneel Bhusri set out to change an industry. They started with a clean sheet of paper and combined decades of… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Workday reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Workday CEO Aneel Bhusri. All 124 reviews posted anonymously by Workday employees.