Workday Reviews

Updated October 7, 2014
4.3

Workday CEO, Co-Founder & Chairman Aneel Bhusri
Aneel Bhusri

Pros
  • work-life balance is great, they give you reimbursements for fitness so they want you to go work out (in 9 reviews)

• Great product, well-managed at the higher levels, expanding, very positive and flexible work environment (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Benefits are the worst a Bay Area Tech company can ever offer (in 6 reviews)

• Can sometimes work really long hours to finish up a project before the deadline (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Long interview, sometimes lack of information flow to new employees, MASSIVE hiring!

I have been working at Workday full-time

Pros

The company does a great job of making all new hires feel welcome. However, they're hiring so many, so fast, that some new hires are waiting a long time to get access to file for their benefits and other resources. The training for consultants is quite arduous but you learn a lot in a short time.

Cons

I think the IT staff could use some supplementing to help keep up with the new hires.

Incredible leadership and execution

Current Employee - RSM
    Current Employee - RSM

I have been working at Workday full-time (less than an year)

Pros

With more than 15 years experience in enterprise sales, I can say Workday bests all previous experiences. Although growing at light speed, this company is very methodical and intentional around strategy and execution, keeping the focus on cust sat rate at 99% (yes 99% is the current cust sat rate!).

Cons

This pace of growth will inevitable have its pains along the way, but this leadership team and team member base is made up of the best of the best in the industry and it shows.

Great company for new college grads

Current Employee - Corporate Sales Development in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Corporate Sales Development in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Workday full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Management and senior employees take a genuine interest in your success and future, as well as your current job satisfaction. Company culture is unparalleled. Free bagels every day, plus fruit twice/week. The people at Workday are laid back, genuine people, who are ambitious and driven to see the company succeed. We are led by Dave Duffield, whose down-to-earth nature and core values resonate throughout the company.

Cons

So much fast-paced growth creates a lot of shifts within the organization. Particularly within my department, there are shifts on a quarterly basis. Some people respond well to these shifts and others would prefer more continuity.
    Also, no employer match for the 401k (at this time)

Try to maintain the great company culture as we grow.

It's challenging and fun

Current Employee - Associate Software Engineer in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Associate Software Engineer in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Workday full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great resources, great people, great culture, and free bagels! There are lots of things to do with Workday, both at and outside of work. We have fun, and we produce. That's the way it should be.

Cons

There really aren't any cons. This place is fun and challenging to work at.

Keep it up, management.

Great people , great company, great leadership

Current Employee - Principal Consultant in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Principal Consultant in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Workday full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Workday is a company full of smart and dedicated people that work their butts off. I love coming to work and being around professionals that are willing to help each other and listen to each other.

Cons

Seems like the company has started inserting many levels of management and not sure what they all do

Grow existing talent

Awesome - Simply Awesome!

I have been working at Workday full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Over the top culture - programs, fun, parties, giving back to community
    CEO is a saint - Seriously.
    Very people friendly
    Understand work life balance
    Incredible technology

Cons

Fast growth
    Not looking inward enough at own resources - primarily because of growth

Keep it up - Just don't forget about those down the chain

The best place I have ever worked

Current Employee - Senior Enterprise Architect
    Current Employee - Senior Enterprise Architect

I have been working at Workday

Pros

After many years in Enterprise software and corporate America in general, I was starting to lose faith that there were any really great companies (or ideas) out there. Joining Workday two years ago changed my mind about everything that a corporation can be. I wake up every morning excited to get to work and feel fulfilled by my job. I have no desire to move into management but that decision has been respected and I have been consistently rewarded for being a top individual contributor.

I feel fortunate to work with fantastic people on all levels of the organization. My peers in sales are excellent and they respect the value that I bring to the company. My direct management has always been very supportive of my work and me as a person. I feel this is a company where people genuinely care about the people that they work with, and that starts at the top with Dave Duffield and Aneel Bhusri.

One of the exciting things about my job is that I work with many different companies (in pre-sales) helping them understand the value of Workday. I get to experience the corporate culture of these companies as we go through the sales process. How do they treat vendors? How do they talk to each other? I get to see these aspects and many more as part of the sales cycle. That has given me a deep appreciation for just how few companies are like Workday in how they treat employees. I feel very lucky to be a part of building such a great organization.

I work from home on the days I am not travelling and I feel well integrated even though I am in the field. My work-life balance is respected by both my peers and management. I recently took a week off during the busiest time of the quarter and my management didn't complain.

Cons

We have been trying to hire an additional person in my position for over a year now and still have not found someone who can satisfy all the requirements. This means that I been very busy (and getting busier). My management has gone out of their way to ensure I don't get overworked, but at some point we just need more people to do the job.

I am also still somewhat confused about our commission compensation, how it is calculated and how long it takes for us to get our compensation plans. I understand we are a growing company, but for variable compensation to be a motivator the plans need to be clear and delivered on a timely basis.

Because the company is still relatively young and growing fast some of our internal processes are not fully matured. Things like performance reviews are not conducted on a regular basis (even though I get regular informal feedback on my performance). I think for some this may be frustrating because they need more consistent "official" feedback. I suspect this is particularly true for younger workers who are looking to constantly improve their performance. I hope this is something that can be addressed as we continue to grow.

Workday is a great place to spend your day.

I have been working at Workday

Pros

We are building apps in the 21st century and as such want new fresh ideas. We hire smart people who have experience but can take a fresh approach - this is key to our success. The product requires collaboration across the entire company.

Cons

We are still in the growth mode and the work - life balance is not there yet, but it is getting better.

Truly a great place to work!

I have been working at Workday

Pros

Team mentality; very positive working environment.

Cons

Onboarding was difficult - not a lot of structure/formality. Hard to meet/get to know coworkers. But, I think this has to do with the fact that they in such a big growth phase right now and they're trying to get procedures in place to handle this.

The Right Place To Be

I have been working at Workday

Pros

I feel fortunate to be working here. Workday is one of the most exciting places to work right now, and has a very bright future. I have a fantastic relationship with my supervisor, and the work is fun and interesting. I've never been afraid to say what's on my mind, which is rare.

Cons

It's a fast growing company and changing quickly, so only join the ride if you can handle the speed. With all the new hires, there is a bit of a "land grab" for ownership of things, but that's what happens when a lot of ambitious and smart people come together. Not really a worry since there's plenty of work and opportunity.