Workday

Updated December 11, 2014
4.4

Workday CEO, Co-Founder & Chairman Aneel Bhusri
Aneel Bhusri

Pros
  • With that said, work life balance is respected (at least in the orgs I have experience with) (in 11 reviews)

• Great product and technology - development team at corporate was a blast (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Benefits are the worst a Bay Area Tech company can ever offer (in 7 reviews)

• Can sometimes work really long hours to finish up a project before the deadline (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Overall, great product and excellent senior management; Beware, toxic CSD environment.

Former Employee - Corporate Sales Development in Pleasanton, CA
    Former Employee - Corporate Sales Development in Pleasanton, CA

I worked at Workday full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great senior leadership, fun company events. All employees are invited to company meetings. Workday is leading provider of ERP in the cloud, stock is performing well, keep it up.

Cons

Many of the old reviews regarding the CSD environment from 2012 remain true well past their date.
    Senior management may not have any idea how bad it really became, or just didn't care;
    bait and switch. Limited career advancement from CSD, most after their CSD tenure end up in positions filled with recent graduates. Some have made it into very interesting roles, the majority went into other support roles not related to prospecting for new customers. Long story short: Your CSD skills have little value in other areas of the company. (Not worth it for all the grunt work that you're enslaved to do.) Especially if you have to do it in SLC.

If you're interested in 2+ years of cold calling, only to find yourself rotating around to a somewhat related support role, be my guest. If you're passionate about sales, and you want a much more linear and logical career path, salesforce.com might be a better choice.

fantastic company with great future prospects. Without a doubt going to be the ERP leader in the cloud

Current Employee - Pre-Sales Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Pre-Sales Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at Workday full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

hire top quality talent, management is fantastic, product is great and the customers are happy

Cons

lots of hires from legacy companies. need more youth and innovative thinking in the sales force

hire from more innovative companies rather than from those that we deem are antiquated

Great company, CEOs, product and co-workers!

Current Employee - Product Manager in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Workday full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

CEOs who believe in me and, unlike some others, are not weasels.
    Everyone here is really smart and motivated.
    Constant opportunities to innovate, as the kind of work we do has not been done before.
    Satisfied customers.

Cons

Long hours.
    Not paid competitive to the market, but that is balanced by great stock options in my case.

Need some kind of sabbatical program for those of us who have been running at full speed for quite a while.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Workday full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Collaborative work environment, good sense of community, great products, great customer services
    Family Friendly
    Pet Friendly

Cons

Usual office politics, no flexibility for remote work or office hours

So far so good...

I have been working at Workday full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Innovative company with energized employees all working together to make the company succeed. Core values are refreshing.

Cons

Success and growth keep company in a constant state of change. Not an environment that everyone is comfortable with.

Keep doing what you've been doing

You get out what you put in

Current Employee - Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Workday full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very Experienced Senior Leadership
    Great Product
    Happy Customers
    Long Term Growth Opportunities

The software is in very high demand, and there we are filling a need that is really only supplied by one company. The incumbent vendors are doomed (with perhaps the exception of SAP). Oracle will soon leave the ERP market, because no one will be buying on-premise ERP in 5 years. Tech comes and goes, and we are on the way in.

Cons

Growing pains associated with any hyper-growth company (i.e. processes are fluid and sometimes unclear)

Keep up the good work. As long you continue to treat the front-line employee with respect and honesty, our future is extremely bright.

All that glitters is not gold

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Pleasanton, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Pleasanton, CA

I worked at Workday full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- If you are the type who takes instructions and follows them without any space or time for creativity join this firm
    - If you also are the type who work better under inefficient leaders - Join this Company

Cons

- I agree with everyone else on this portal about Workday's Clicky culture - If you are in the in crowd you get away with almost anything.
    - There is no room for innovation or creativity, coz you are expected to follow procedure every single second of your time here. Creativity is for the higher ups, if you are in the low rung and want to be creative you are going to be shot down almost immediately.
    - The nickname - WorkDaynNight is very true. Hence no work life balance at all.
    - Don't expect your manager to help you figure out your career; strengths or weaknesses. She will have no interest or intention to contribute to your professional growth.
    - Benefits are the worst a Bay Area Tech company can ever offer.

This is the part that is most frustrating - They do not like you moving around teams. They discourage that with all their might.

ps: The key to success here is to suck up to HR; There is very little sense of confidentiality in that department.

Post IPO phase for any company is tough -- tread carefully; compensate and appreciate employee; Review your benefits; don't try so hard to behave like a big firm.

a most pleasant company to work for!

Current Employee - Software QA Engineer
    Current Employee - Software QA Engineer

I have been working at Workday full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Smart, motivated, enthusiastic people and an overwhelmingly positive culture
    Leading edge technology
    Excellent business model
    Excellent sales pipeline

Workday is a fast paced software company with vision and leadership. It is an excellent place to advance internally, and also excellent for a future resume since it has a reputation for hiring well, and uses leading edge technologies. People work together without the paralyzing politics found in so many corporations, because the management has made it so by having policies that reinforce and reward teamwork and innovation.

Cons

no cons. this is a great company.

keep doing what you are doing

Pleasant applications development intern experience

Current Employee - Associate Applications Developer in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Associate Applications Developer in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Workday as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The office had a laid back atmosphere, the other employees were extremely friendly and outgoing. Everyone was helpful and it seemed like the other employees wanted me to succeed.

Cons

Their framework is unconventional and may take some time to get used to. It was a while before I could confidently start developing something without constantly needing guidance.

Great Company

I have been working at Workday full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great health care, growing company

Cons

employee perks are few but on the rise

Keep the workday way and culture #1.