Working America

CEO

"I was Working America."

Former Employee - Canvasser in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Canvasser in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Working America full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Getting paid to advocate for the working people of your hometown.
    Plenty of outdoor walking.
    Good pay and benefits.
    Working with great, like-minded people.
    Overall progressive organization.

Cons

Having to canvass in brutal weather conditions.
    Getting laid off after election.
    No job security even if you've shown longevity and loyalty.
    Fear of "cycling out" even if you're a good employee and barely miss quota.

Take a hard look at the employees who are actually proud and motivated to advocate for the issues that Working America believes in and work to keep them in the organization. I had worked through four different cycles and got laid off after every one. Apparently you have to be "connected" to be kept on or offered a transfer to another city.

YOU WILL LEARN ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT POLITICAL PERSUASION, FUNDRAISING, MARKETING, AND RECRUITING.

Former Employee - Canvasser in Holbrook, NY
    Former Employee - Canvasser in Holbrook, NY

I worked at Working America

Pros

Great pay! Diverse group of ppl! Great way to network!

Cons

alot of walking. working til night, can be unsafe. ppl can be rude at doors.

when recruiting, need better promo on social media and radio and tv stations.

Union employer for the working American.

I have been working at Working America

Pros

The pay is decent for a job requiring only interpersonal communication skills and the ability to go on long hikes.

Cons

The employees are hot or miss, I can't say they are terrible, but the qualifications for the job aren't really high.

The people who worked, worked well, those who don't, you knew and basically made working there somewhat miserable.

The bosses were all young, not really something I would consider very well trained either.

You're recognized for filling quotas, not your performance.

Be less fake and recognize that some policies are down right absurd and pointless.

Does not live up to it's image.

I worked at Working America

Pros

Good gateway to the labor movement.

Cons

This organization is top heavy and there is often very little respect for those workers at the "bottom of the chain", such as canvassers and other organizers. The management micro-manages from the office in DC and the element of secrecy and self-interest unintentionally portrayed by the management makes for a sour working condition. Canvassers earn very little respect from management and work in unsafe working conditions. The organization does not encourage a very worker friendly environment. By the end of my experience I realized that while the organization claims to be driven by working class values and standing up for working families, the main driving force is money (much like a corporation). There are manipulative tactics and they will try to convince you that working in unsafe conditions with little job security or other protections is all for the good of the movement.

Listen to the legs of your organization. Without your canvassers, member coordinators, field directors and office managers you have nothing. Work on a more democratic environment and encourage innovative ideas.

Amazing Organization, doing amazing work for working families

I have been working at Working America full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of room for growth from Trainee - Field Director. In the DC office there isn't as much fast moving growth as in the field, but it is there - you just need to work hard, and be passionate about what the organization is all about.

Training for the Field Program couldn't be more professional or organized. A great set of leaders on the ground

Cons

The top tier leadership is a clique of friends that are difficult to crack. If you aren't like them, it can be difficult to move up.

Karen is an amazing leader. Follow her advice, with everything.

Great organization to work with

Current Employee - Canvasser in Greensboro, NC
    Current Employee - Canvasser in Greensboro, NC

I have been working at Working America full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Salary, Hours, experience in grassroots organizing

Cons

Quotas put a lot of pressure. Ultimate pay for peformance

Listening to the field organizers

I only worked there for one week because I did not meet my fundraising quota during my very first week of training.

Current Employee - Canvass Organizer in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Canvass Organizer in Houston, TX

I have been working at Working America full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good hourly wage for an entry level, no educational or particular skills required type of job.

Cons

They are very strict on their daily/weekly quota requirements, and you can expect to be fired at the end of the week if you have not met your quota.

Be more flexible with your quota requirements, especially during the supposed 5 week training period.

A good organization to campaign with.

I worked at Working America

Pros

Decent pay and benefits. Good training for political persuasion and face-to-face cold calling. Some really good and really interesting people to work with. Can be exciting and rewarding during campaign season.

Cons

Poor organizational structure. Little support for entry level canvassers. High turnover. Job seems much harder when campaign season is over. Campaign workers may not be employed long enough to qualify for benefits.

Horrible.

I worked at Working America

Pros

Working America offers good pay and steady hours. They also offer paid holidays and understand if you need a day off.

Cons

I first loved what I was doing. I felt like I was making a difference in the community and the state that I love. However, if they arent a fan of you, they will find a reason to get rid of you. They promoted me into management two days before they fired me. Its a little convenient that as management, you lose your union and thats when they decided to let me go. With solid steady numbers and good repoire with my coworkers. Shame on you, Working America. You're supposed to be fighting for the little guy...not holding them down.

Dont be sneaky.

Never

I have been working at Working America

Pros

Wanted to know more about the organization. Did not like the reviews and feedback. Apparently they have big problems with quality control.

Cons

Good management is hard to find. Unions went downhill while allowing our mfg.jobs to be sent abroad. Not everyone goes to college and we need our lower skilled jobs back!

Clean House! You are the problem! The truth is you cannot keep good talent in a toxic environment. Start over everyday. The challenge is in front of you and inside of you. Commit to change.