Working Assets

Working Assets Reviews

Be The First To
Add Photos

Laura Scher

A great place to work if you agree with the political stands the company takes.

Marketing Manager (Current Employee)

ProsI always felt like what I was doing was really making a difference.

ConsI worked a lot of hours and sometimes the company can be pretty disorganized operationally. One thing to realize is that you really have to believe in the causes that the company stands for (I did). If you don't it will drive you crazy and you most likely won't last.

Advice to Senior ManagementExplore being more on the cutting edge with job flexibility, telecommuting, job share etc. But overall, keep up the good work.

Not what it seems

San Francisco, CA

ProsThe company has an admirable mission. Most of the people who work there believe in the causes they support and want to make a difference in the world.

ConsThe management is disorganized and plays favorites. Some employees are easily promoted or given a lot of flexibility in work hours or location. Others do all they can to please management, but it's never good enough. Long hours are expected for moderate pay. If you don't fit in socially, your work is not given as much respect.

Advice to Senior ManagementPeople who are not good managers should not be managers. They should be valued for their work and promoted along non-management lines. Management positions should be reserved for people who are good at managing people, not simply those who excel in their area of expertise.

Not what it seems

Pros- Interesting mission, aligned with values of the area
    - Get to work with some very talented people from middle management down
    - Good benefits

Cons- Outdated style of management from the top. Attempts to bring this into the 21st century seems to get squashed
    - No vision on how to grow and expand the company, all politics
    - High employee turnover for such a small company

Advice to Senior ManagementPeople are your best assets. Treat them as such.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Excellent cause, treats employees like volunteers

San Francisco, CA

ProsThis company support progressive political causes, which I support as well.

ConsEmployees are expected to have a passion for the company's mission, and work long, low paid hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to work/life balance. Translate your progressive attitudes into a progressive workplace.

This place is a mess! Beware!

Marketing (Former Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsSome of the people there are nice and make the job more bearable I had good opportunities to improve professionally.

ConsThis is the most disorganized company I have ever worked for. The processes in place are so convoluted, but no one wants to change anything. Technology and processes are out of date. Internal communication is terrible. There is a lot of tension within the company. Incredibly stupid mistakes are made on a daily basis, and many greatly affect customers. They expect you to work crazy hours; this is not a 9-5 job, and yet the salary is horrible. When it comes down to it, the amount of money generated for charity is pitifully small.

Advice to Senior ManagementThrow everything out and start over again! Be more open to change. Create a more comfortable, less hostile working environment. Become more modern.

I love the mission of the company and am proud to say that I work there but the actual job is a grind.

San Francisco, CA

ProsThe overall mission of the company is noble. I like being able to tell people that I work for a company that cares about the world and actively participates in making it a better place.

ConsIt seems that you have to leave the company and look elsewhere if you want to get promoted or to find career growth potential. The amount of work expected can be overwhelming with little compensation or recognition for the effort.

Advice to Senior ManagementMost of the senior management team is very accessible and willing to listen to problems. Solving the problems can be a long and drawn out process though and efforts seem to be duplicated by many across the company.

An amazing place to work, where you can make a real difference--if the exec team figures out how to keep it going

Decline to State (Current Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsVery mature, functional work environment. Almost no politics or unfortunate egos. Disciplined, analytical and strong operationally. Clear goals and solid attention to measurement metrics. One of the only examples I've seen of a for-profit with a non-profit feel to it. Operates beyond question, ethically. Full of pragmatic idealists.

ConsAn odd lack of urgency in some parts of the company. Over the years I've been here I've seen several people get promoted to positions for which they weren't very qualified. Or their job description changed to one for which they weren't very qualified. I think it's because we try to promote from within and give opportunities for professional development. But I think we need to be more willing to hire outside experts. Oh, and we're operating under an unproven business model (wireless resellers).

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more outside experts throughout the company, including the executive team. A part-time CEO sends the wrong message to a company whose revenues are declining. Worry less about your legacy and more about the future of the company. Pat yourselves on the back for creating such a professionally mature, respectful, positive work culture.

To every thing there is a season

Pros-- Challenging environment
    -- Interesting political aspirations
    -- Unending mix of different personalities
    -- Noble intent

Cons-- Mission statement from the 70s, not the 21st century
    -- Work/life balance out of whack, although not for senior management
    -- High expectations without much mentoring or support; failures can be epic and depending upon the person, either ignored or harshly punished (turnover is huge!)
    -- Whimsical promotion of "favored" employees, without regard to qualifications, combined with overly critical scrutiny of less "favored" employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's time for senior management to bring in a crop of seasoned professionals in wireless communications who 1) work full time on the premises, 2) practice what they preach (submitting themselves for evaluation by outside professionals, as is required of other managers), 3) are willing and able to accept "the new world" rather than operating in the "good old days" and 4) don't play favorites, leading to backstabbing and undermining among employees.

Worked for Working Assets? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Working Assets reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Working Assets CEO Laura Scher. All 8 reviews posted anonymously by Working Assets employees.