Working Families

Be The First To
Add Photos

Dan Cantor

Rewarding but grueling

Field Representative (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsI never felt as though the work I was doing was without merit. Management is knowledgeable, helpful, and more than willing to promote talented newcomers.

ConsThe hours are remarkably inconvenient. I rarely got home before 10 pm, and my schedule almost never synced with my friends'. I developed an inflammation in my feet after a few months of canvassing that was quite painful.

Advice to Senior ManagementExpecting everyone to come up through the canvassing ranks is not terribly realistic, though it might seem like it gives everyone a common background. Some valuable workers are simply not good fundraisers.

A great organization with little organization.

Canvasser (Former Employee)
    Brooklyn, NY

ProsThey are a passionate group of people who love what they do.

ConsThere are few career opportunities other than becoming a field manager for other canvassers.

Advice to Senior ManagementSomeone who can't fundraise might be great in the office. It's worth reconsidering where people are placed.

Hectic, disorganized apathy that led me despise data analysis!

Data Analyst (Former Employee)
    Brooklyn, NY

ProsI was introduced to very core of political issues in the city of New York, I was exposed to first hand brainstorming in regards to tacking these issues. And finally, I was there so see all the changes happening first hand.

ConsDue to various, in my opinion, unnecessary hierarchy that appeared to be new to the company, lot of conflicts, confusions and egocentric explosions occurred during my time there.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo carefully pick the people next to them, because obviously the goals that the lower staff strives to are not the same as the upper positioned staff goes for.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Experience Overall Working for the Working Families Party in New York, NY

Canvasser (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsIncredible organization and a pleasant group of people to work with.

ConsThe hours during a canvassing event can be a little extensive.

Solid money for good work

Canvasser (Current Employee)
    New City, NY

ProsOnly four hours of actual work a day.
    $9 an hour to start, $10 an hour after 2 months, for work you can perform without a college degree.
    WFP is absolutely one of the best forces in New York State politics for progressive change.
    Coworkers are fantastic.

ConsHave to show up for 8 hours, despite only working 4 because of commute.
    The promotion structure is very strange and advancement depends more on luck and timing than on suitability for the position.
    Hours are inconvenient. 2-10 PM will cut you out of everyone's life except on weekends.

Advice to Senior ManagementHaving a more open and transparent approach to promotions.

Fun but not lasting.

Field Representative/Manager (Former Employee)
    Brooklyn, NY

ProsGreat social environment, there was lots of enthusiasm for the work from the people who work there. They sure know how to hype things up
     (if you know what I mean). The job also gives you some good networking opportunities because they work with so many different candidates.

ConsLet's face it. Little pay, heavy workload, and sore feet aren't exactly on the top of anyone's list of prospective career paths, well that's what working for them entails. They overwork you and under-pay you. There's very no appreciation for your work. Also a lot of backroom office politics going on in this place-it's dirty.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to create a more professional environment. Instead of posing as a political party trying to do justice and good, just reflect on how the place is actually the opposite. Stop operating WF as a legalized criminal organization and do (or atleast try to) what you preach, embezzlers.

It's a great place with great people

Field Representative/Field Manager (Former Employee)

Pros-on the job paid training
    -very relaxed/natural work environment
    -great issues to work for/towards
    -outside in nature in beautiful weather during spring/summer months
    -great supportive staff
    -opportunities for advancement
    -anyone can work there whether you have a degree or not
    -quarterly promotions for all employees

Cons-hours are not flexible
    -limited positions/ job limited to field work
    -pay is per shift, not per hour
    -outside in nature in horrible weather during winter months

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you're passionate about the issues, and your performance shows in the amount of money you raise, how you treat your fellow canvassers, how motivated you are about the job and how determined you are to see real progressive change in government, they Will take notice, and you will be promoted. Working Families is about making change and creating leaders.

Worked for Working Families? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Working Families reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Working Families CEO Dan Cantor. All 7 reviews posted anonymously by Working Families employees.