Workopolis

Updated December 13, 2014
Updated December 13, 2014
3.1

Kelly Dixon

Fantastic place to work and belong

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Workopolis full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing Culture, Solid Compensation, Good Benefits, Great Autonomy, Excellent Vacation, Excellent Leadership Team - this is a unique place to work. People really matter and leadership cares about both you and what you deliver to the organization equally. Overall, my time here has been engaging, fun, and challenging. Totally pleased with the experience.

Cons

Data Systems are inconsistent but improving, Pricing is ever evolving and a bit slow to keep pace with the industry, Consistency of service delivery and support can be improved. Times are tough these days with all of the new competition entering the market but we're still doing a great job delivering results.

Keep working with and listening to your people as they are very good and in touch with their business. Keep a focus on training and development of skills. Keep being innovative and free thinking.

Account Manager - Inside Sales

I worked at Workopolis

Pros

Great benefits, nice office, fun cultutre

Cons

Basically a glorified telemarketer. Do nothing but call people all day. Majority of leads are stale.

Nice people to work with

I have been working at Workopolis

Pros

The people are very nice and helpful. Very relaxed environment and little arguements. People are very professional and qualified whom you can learn from. Decent perks and good chance for promotion.

Cons

There are no free snacks provided throughout the office. Work procedures are not uniformly enforced throughout company.

Keep doing what you do but somethings should be enforced.

Used to be great, but still a good place to work. Disguises real problems with fun...superficial

I worked at Workopolis full-time

Pros

-Web company- forward thinking in terms of culture, fun, human
    -Pays well, good perks
    -Downtown location

Cons

- Ethics- lots of cliques and favoritism. High tolerance for some, and none for others. Not a balanced/objective approach
    -Doesn't want to deal with difficult issues. Would rather disguise things with having fun
    -Lack of professionalism across the Mgmt team
    -The market is different then it was a while back. I think that is more business reality than a con though, and they still do a very well.

Fun & dynamic environment

I worked at Workopolis part-time

Pros

open concept office, excellent onboarding program, friendly coworkers, ping pong room to alleviate stress, transportation allowance

Cons

going through an organizational re-structure so the environment can get somewhat tense

Lacking in vision and innovation

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Workopolis full-time (more than an year)

Pros

King West location (downtown Toronto), fun/laid back work environment, focus on work/life balance

Cons

Lack of innovation and vision from senior management; management is deliberately non-transparent; mediocre benefits/compensation; few growth opportunities; overcompensation on "fun" to mask serious shortcomings on the business side; too much reliance and focus on Sales

1. Resting on one's laurels has been the downfall of so many other companies: being a market leader without innovating will lead you to the history books.

2. Fun doesn't pay your employees' rents: telling employees that they will be paid the national average salary for their position in one of the highest cost-of-living cities in the country regardless of their performance will not motivate, no matter how "fun" you think you're making it for them

3. Decide whether the business is a technology business, or a media business: If you decide it is a technology business, the product should be in a state where it sells itself, if you decide it is a media company then you need a really really good sales team to compete with technology companies like LinkedIn and Indeed (read: you will fail)

Great experience so far

I have been working at Workopolis full-time

Pros

Great Culture ! Great People ! Drive and desire for innovation. Good benefits.

Cons

Communications gaps between senior and middle management who hide underground problems leaving only pink colors Not learning lessons.

Sometimes listen to doers while taking big decisions

If I were to leave Workopolis one day, the people will be what I miss the most.

Current Employee - Corporate Development in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Corporate Development in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Workopolis full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I've worked at large corporations before. In a lot of big companies, you feel like a number as you are just one of the hundreds of people working in the office...But here at Workopolis, people are so nice and respectful. People care about each other. It actually feels like a family.

I started with an entry level position and I always feel that I have a say in the projects I'm involved with. And it is a really great feeling when your voice is heard and appreciated by the management.

I am really lucky to have a great manager who is very supportive and caring. I feel really comfortable to come to her whenever I have a question or problem at work. And with her help, I was able to grow both personally and professionally.

Cons

Sometimes communication between departments can be an issue. For the same project, different people may not have the same level of commitment.

Once great company, becoming a white elephant in recruitment world.

I have been working at Workopolis

Pros

Great work environment, good downtown location, still seen by many candidates as the main job board in Canada, good strategic partnerships.

Cons

Constant "restructuring" means most staff are looking to get out. Employees not invested in taking company forward as no real leadership from above.

Listen to and trust your employees, stop playing favourites and get Workopolis back to its former glory.

Great Experience

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Workopolis as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Good culture, great co-workers, many events to keep the employee happy. Work is interesting and always changing in order to keep up with the ever changing internet.

Cons

There is technical debt that slows down some development but is being cleared away steadily to make way for newer technologies to be implemented.

Workopolis Photos