Workplace Options

Updated December 12, 2014
Updated December 12, 2014
2.8

CEO

Very fair, very positive place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Workplace Options full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The work environment is great. People are respectful and the work that we do makes a positive impact on people's lives. The benefits are also great. Free gym access to all employees in Raleigh, discounted vending options that are actually pretty good, and there are a ton of services that provide work-life and emotional support for employees at all levels.

Cons

Because of the nature of the business, the company is open 24/7/365. There aren't a lot of dedicated company holidays simply because some of us need to be on call to answer the phones.

More lines of communication with employees, but this is getting better.

Keep and open mind, seek the opportunity, but don't get stuck.

I worked at Workplace Options full-time

Pros

WPO is a great place for someone fresh out of college and needing to get their career started. They offer health insurance and a 401-k. This is a great place if you want to improve your customer service skills. This company has very high expectations of the service you provide to the client and the amount/quality of work that you put out. So you have to be on your toes at all times. I can honestly say that I grew during my time here.

Cons

Salary sucks and raises are minimal. You will have to work major holidays because it is a call center that is open 24/7/365. It can be a stressful environment depending on your personality. If you are on the work-life team, which is where most people start out, you are expected to answer a certain number of calls per day and complete a certain number of cases...if you don't meet quota, watch out. Some people like the pressure, some collapse under it. I have seen so many quality individuals get stuck working here, not getting promoted and not moving on to better things. There are opportunities to move within the company, but you have to do your time on the baseline level and it sometimes takes a 2+ years to move up and when you do, don't expect that much of a pay raise.

Appreciate your employees more and give the more than 12 days off per year. Bring back the old bonus structure to encourage and reward them for quality and quantity....people are trying to financially take care of their families.

Growing company, great people

I have been working at Workplace Options full-time

Pros

Company is open and accessible. People are generally all friendly and communicate well. Room to grow and learn inside after hire. Promotions are available with time. Great benefits and retirement plans. They really care and want people to be happy and taken care of.

Cons

Company growing at a rapid pace, and is tight on money. May be hard to get salary you want, or annual increases. Wants to be a "career" company, but may not provide financial means to do so.

Amazing

I have been working at Workplace Options

Pros

The team. Everyone is supportive.

Cons

It can be really repetitive.

None

Don't Do It

I have been working at Workplace Options full-time

Pros

Literally cannot think of one

Cons

Small room with to many cubicles so creates an uncomfortable environment, average pay but BENEFITS ARE AWFUL! Only 5 holidays a year and a 90 day probation period where you are not paid for holidays, unrealistic expectations, medical is expensive and thought the people were nice until I found out they are nothing but a gossip chain..

Truly a horrible experience and hated going to work each day

consolidate your home officefinancially and enviromentally and stop expanding since you cannot afford to, make office environment more comfortable and pleasant, don't group people together like cattle, hire employee friendly executives

Great place to gain experience and learn about change and innovation.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Workplace Options full-time (more than an year)

Pros

WPO takes its employees suggestions to heart. If you have a good idea or a new and better way of doing something, they listen. The company truly believes in internal promotion. If you work hard, you WILL get rewarded. I won't deny that opportunities are presented daily and there may be some time before things open. This is only because people don't leave their leadership positions. I think that says something in itself. If there are no openings because managers don't leave, that isn't a bad thing.

Cons

I won't say everything is perfect, but I will say leadership does care. There are times where we may have a goal, but aren't sure how we are getting there. If you like the black and white, WPO is not the place for you. If you are open to change and trying new things, then this is the place for you.

Make yourselves more visible to teams you might not interact with daily. As leaders, people want to know who you are and want to meet you.

WorkPlace Options Bellevue is an oppresive place to work!

Current Employee - Work-life Consultant in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Work-life Consultant in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Workplace Options full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Fellow employees are a joy to work with

Cons

Employees are micro managed down to the most minute detail. They are treated like infants that have no thinking capability. Health insurance is unaffordable. An oppressive, tense work environment that makes an employee dread going to work. There is an appalling mismanagement that enhances the stress inherent to the job itself. A lot of misdeeds are swept under the rug. A truly joyless work enviorment.

Stop treating employees like children. This is a civilian job. We are not cadets in military school. Listen to employees and enact vital changes. Turnover will be high if this environment does not change. Revise the health care plan immediately.

All that glitters is not gold

I have been working at Workplace Options

Pros

You can gain a title quick if you associate with the right people. Access to a free gym and fruit in the kitchen. Incentives IF you have the time to do a wellness walk.

Cons

1) low pay for a ridiculous amount of work. 2) Nepotism is like a virus in this place 3) unrealistic expectations 4) they never seem to have any money to pay vendors and outside people or give people raises but they somehow manage to open up offices all around the world 5) they act as if it is a privelage to work for an organization such as theirs 6) the call center is like a sweatshop - all the company cares about is your EE score 7) as an Employee Assistance Program they need to practice what they preach-they have some of the most unhappiest employees 8) if you want to work really hard and then feel de-humanized at the end of the day, work here.

Grow a backbone and advocate for your staff because by belittling them you are not making yourself look better. Also, threats are not an effective management skill.

Workplace Options but not for me

Former Employee - Daily Life Consultant in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Daily Life Consultant in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Workplace Options full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The pay was good for entry level employee. The management was open and friendly.

Cons

The training was weak and confusing.

Negative attitudes permeate the culture thus the workers suffer

Former Employee - Work-life Consultant in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Workplace Options full-time (less than an year)

Pros

There are no pros except that if you are unemployed and desperate for a paycheck, it provides some money.

Cons

- Major con is that, as an adult human being, your lunches are timed (!) to only 30 mins.
    - Law-breaking con is that they deny you two 15-minute breaks (you are legally allowed to these - take them!)
    - Additional potential legal issue is that they send emails to sway your political vote - When I was working there, we received a company-wide email "encouraging" us to vote a certain way in an upcoming election.
    - Another legal breach is their blatant racism that I, as a white person, was ashamed and disgusted by - they treat their black employees like servants and rarely promote them.
    - More legal issues involve nepotism and sexism.
    - Further still are legal issues surrounding discrimination of overweight individuals. They make it known that heavy people drive up their insurance costs and have a mandatory "health screening". They bring in nurses to take your bloodwork and then you have to sign releases to the company. In other words, they have access to your cholesterol readings.
    - More legal problems for the company are that they don't pay their providers so, as an employee, you have to handle calls from people all over the country and the world wondering why they haven't been paid.
    - Not necessarily a legal issue but just a dangerous one is that there is a culture of "heavy drinking" dare I say - alcoholism. I believe those classic characteristics of the latter i.e., lying, meanness, immaturity, inability to respect boundaries, etc., come out every day in one way or another. Lying is in the form of cheating you out of your bonuses. Meanness comes out in negative, company-wide, emails blasts that are belittling and, well - mean. Lack of boundaries between employer/employee happens right in front of you too many times to count.

Get a good lawyer