World 50, inc. Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.3
David Wilkie

The place to work if you love to learn and be challenged

I have been working at World 50, inc. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

As an associate at world 50 I have unprecedented access to the ideas, experiences and knowledge of the world's senior most executives, world leaders, authors, academics and celebrities. The business knowledge and acumen I have developed during my time at World 50 is better than an MBA.

The culture is unique and vibrant, and the younger people drive the spirit and soul of the business.

The work is very fulfilling and and I am given the training to develop the skills that I need to reach my full potential and the space I need to be creative, try new things and to grow

Cons

I have seen a rise in office politics over the last 2 years, some of it is natural as an organization grows at a relatively fast pace, but I feel there is too much of it and have seen it ramp up quickly over the past few months.

Advice to Management

Do not waiver on the non negotiable tenants of the business, proactively seek out the more junior people and get to know them.

The ELT should never be the source of office politics......

2. Beware if not 25- year old WHITE MALE

Former Employee - Membership Development Associate in Atlanta, GA

I worked at World 50, inc. full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lax culture, no rigid corporate feel

Cons

Lack of diversity
    Lack of in-house trainer
    Lack of upward monility

Advice to Management

Find a balance between the lax culture and traditional corporate environment/

3. Positive culture, great service and smart people

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at World 50, inc.

Pros

The people are phenomenal; smart, welcoming, creative and can-do. A symbol of the culture is the fact that the weekly all company meetings are not to be missed and inevitably there is laughter and cheering, it is truly driven by the team and not the management which makes for a vibrant and especially fun place to work. It is also a place to grow and build a serious career because of the amazing people we work with and for (members). The product is both pure and differentiated from the market.

Cons

High growth environments are amazing but can have their challenges like growth outpacing structure and decisions being made without a precedent to work from -- comfort with ambiguity is an advantage at World 50! Overall, I would take these challenges any day over a slow growth, super-structured environment.

Advice to Management

Stay creative and keep shaping the company for the future. Don't waiver on the non-negotiables around the product. Keep the environment fun because it is a special place.

5. Committed to culture goals (it's a journey) and fun, smart people doing inspiring work

I have been working at World 50, inc. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I feel like World 50 is a great place IF you are the type of person who loves to collaborate with others to solve problems. It seems like there are opportunities IF you do good work, work hard and seek opportunities to add value. Work life balance didn't really matter to me because I became friends with my colleagues - but it is a lot of work. I found it to be rewarding and fun and I wanted to do it (I have a family and found no problem in balancing it all). It's a small co so policies like maternity are getting better. I am sure the policies and benefits are better in a big co. Also I feel like some of the feedback on growth opportunities fails to acknowledge that this is a small, "start-up" environment - to me that is the good thing about it, but if you are looking for a place with regularly scheduled and planned "next steps" then you might find small company life frustrating. To summary the pros - the work is very interesting and the environment is casual and fun. There is a lot of laughing in the office. People seem to really enjoy one another. A lot of very smart people.

Cons

As mentioned in Pros...this is a small company and there are positives and negatives that come with that. I like the small co vibe - things are less formal and there is unlimited opportunity for growth IF you are able to push through. I can see that some people who have worked here found these same characteristics frustrating. Also, there is a lot of flux in the workload - during busy times it can be very heavy. Last, the company and the management team are very focused on "values" but the team is growing quickly and is pretty young so I think there is always room to make this better (though I argue that it's all of our jobs, not just management). To summarize the cons - there aren't clearly defined next steps AND there is a lot of competition because most employees are very smart and ambitious. If you just do your job, it probably won't be enough to excel in this environment.

Advice to Management

Keep the focus on the values. It seems there will be high points and low points, but keep giving the power to the organization and the people to solve this/move this forward. Management handing down directives on "values" will never work. The culture is very good (especially when compared to other organizations I have worked for) and I do appreciate the commitment to keeping it good. It's never easy. Continue to empower and trust people. You have some of the smartest people I have ever worked with - keep them!!

6. Great company, dysfunctional leadership

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at World 50, inc. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Chance to rub shoulders with accomplished and famous thinkers and leaders
    - Always something to work on
    - Certain managing directors were a pleasure to work with
    - Open working space

Cons

- Leadership often argued with each other to no resolution
    - The managing director was often the go-between for the members--had to interpret the work that would be meaningful based on what the group director / managing director said and it seemed to change often
    - Those who were simply good at their jobs did not seem to do as well as those adept at office politics
    - There was an inner circle and those within it were promoted

Advice to Management

Find a way to give everyone in the company insight into what's important to the members. Let people take more risks. Focus less on events and more on meaningful connections between members and across groups.

7. Great company, great values and people as well. If you join the sales team you will learn everything that you need to

Former Employee - Membership Development Associate in Atlanta, GA

I worked at World 50, inc. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

training,benefits,culture,relaxing,senior management - its is a great company to work for and i highly recommend for a first job or out of college

Cons

salary, growth,nothing nothing nothing - there are no real cons to the company besides what I have listed and if you perform it is not that bad.

8. Looking at the other reviews, they collectively tell the full story

Former Employee - Sales in Buckhead, GA
    Former Employee - Sales in Buckhead, GA

I worked at World 50, inc. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You feel like you are part of something bigger. It's fun to be a part of the events and programs. Truly amazing that such a small company is providing value to the largest organizations in the world. I found this to be a great place for the first 1.5-2 years to learn about business and sales.

Cons

All of the negative reviews are true as well. I think most people should probably hang around for just a couple years and consider moving on. The upward growth is limited, and even the promotions are mostly a joke. I instantly made more money when I left.

Advice to Management

Don't overwork or over stress your younger employees. They can make more money for less stress elsewhere. Or at least I did.

A decent short-term stop

I worked at World 50, inc. full-time

Pros

Many wonderful coworkers, plenty of laughter (if you're in the right department), great benefits (so much free food). If you're just starting your career, a good blend of people in their 20s but also more seasoned employees to mentor you. Depending on your role, some really unique opportunities to experience things the average American never will, like eating at Michelin star restaurants and meeting celebrities/business execs/world leaders.

Cons

World 50 has absurd turnover—literally, absurd—about every 3-6 months there's a period where it feels like a quarter of the company is either changing roles, getting fired or leaving (often because of some questionable management decisions). Because of this, company morale fluctuates wildly. The company is also in this conundrum where it's too small to provide real career development, but wants to pretend that it's not (maybe to limit the turnover) by "promoting" (read: meaningless title change) a group of people every 6 months. Usually a few of these are absolutely deserved, but the majority go to people who either (a) whine, or (b) are "in" with the right people in upper management (and the whole company recognizes it).

There's also ridiculous difference in expectation among levels; for example, directors leave at 3 every other day and no one blinks, while their associates work like slaves 60+ hours a week and can't even turn off their phone while on PTO.

Advice to Management

Think longer term, and walk your talk. If you are going to preach about having a "flat" organization, at least make an effort toward it.

10. It will most likely be the best job I ever had

I worked at World 50, inc. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Culture: The W50 I stepped into 2+ years ago wasn't the same W50 I left 2+ years later. Culture is everything and I miss it most.
    -The job: Every job is exciting. The access to thoughts (and depending on the position) and presence of world leaders, senior-most executives and celebrities of all types really inspire you to be the best you can be. If you want to learn, you won't have a problem at W50.
    -Colleagues: The people make this company great. Supportive and friendl...it's hard to have long-standing grudges.
    -Opportunity: As long as you have the initiative, drive and time, you can essentially take on as many projects on as you can--even if it's not within your department. Anyone can make an impact on the business.
    -Benefits: Really great, considering it's a small company

Cons

-Communication between leadership and the rest of the company is somewhat lacking. This leads to miscommunication and distrust. It was improving however...
    -Global company based in Atlanta: You'll have clients on the other side of the world, meaning you'll always be checking your phone and/or working at odd hours some days, depending on your job and drive.
    -Feedback: It's inconsistent, depending on reporting lines

Advice to Management

Continue to build trust with the long-time employees, the new employees and everyone in between. Hold managers accountable for the talent they are entrusted with by making their goals and responsibilities as managers clear.

Incredible atmosphere unlike anywhere else, brilliant minds

I have been working at World 50, inc. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-CEO cares so much about what we do and the culture of the company
    -access to C-suite executives across all functions and greatest thought leaders in the business world
    -flexible environment
    -passionate and hardworking co-workers that love what they are doing
    -fantastic benefits (20 days PTO, 12 paid holidays, 401k match, very large $$ contribution to healthcare from the company, etc.)
    -fun committee

Cons

-communication can sometimes be challenging. The company is growing very quickly and is still learning how to effectively communicate across all departments (but this is improving as more time passes)
    -you're always "on" to some extent. If a member needs something on a Sunday night, you often will need to reply because the members are always first

Advice to Management

-be comfortable sharing responsibility. Not everyone needs to be involved in everything for the company to run. Delegate people you trust to manage specific business units or initiatives and let them do their job.

RSS Feed </> Embed