World Affairs Council - Seattle

Really pleasant

Former Employee - Global Classroom Intern  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Global Classroom Intern in Seattle, WA

I worked at World Affairs Council - Seattle as an intern for less than a year

Pros

I interned with the World Affairs Council one summer as part of the Global Classroom program, and it was an all-around positive experience. The Global Classroom team has fabulous directors who work with and support the learning of their interns. A good amount of the time, there will be opportunities to work with computer programs and solve problems individually, knowing that there is someone to ask for help if needed. There is the chance to research, expand usage of Microsoft Office, and work with the team to keep in communication with students. It is a beneficial internship for first time interns.

Cons

It may be hard to build relationship with some others in the office, but this is usually remedied if you frequently take lunch in the main break room and make an effort to know everyone. There is an opportunity to learn about various work experiences from the others in the office, but you must make the effort to seek them out.

Great intentions; terrible execution

I worked at World Affairs Council - Seattle

Pros

The folks who work there are passionate about the mission.

Cons

Terrible management (though I hear that's changed); unclear mission and appeal to constituents.

Great place to start your career in International Affairs

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at World Affairs Council - Seattle part-time for more than a year

Pros

Friendly staff, Incredible Global Classroom supervisors, overall passion for international affairs, opportunity to connect with leaders from around the world, interns have the opportunity to learn many skills, meet with leaders from around the world, attend internationally focused lectures and other community events

Cons

Long walk from the bus station! But a beautiful walk along the water in the summer

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Meh

Former Employee - Intern  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Intern in Seattle, WA

I worked at World Affairs Council - Seattle as an intern for less than a year

Pros

IVP is like a travel agency. You get to meet heavy hitters from around the world. The WAC's events are also great for meeting lots of interesting people.

Cons

If you don't take well to punctuating itineraries and regurgitating material for program proposals, then you won't do very well, and then they will give you progressively more menial work. As with many internships, the possibility is always there that you will be in and out without meeting people that will help you find a real job.

Worthwhile only for someone with no prior work experience

Former Employee - Intern, International Visitors Program  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Intern, International Visitors Program in Seattle, WA

I worked at World Affairs Council - Seattle as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Theoretically this internship would open opportunities to meet many local professional people who could potentially be good job contacts in the future. Part of the internship (which is unpaid) is to set up an informational interview for the interns with a company of their choosing. The office has a nice location and the interns also have the opportunity to network with each other, as there are at any time up to 20 interns.

Cons

Too many interns, so no intern has any actual responsibility. On the other hand, the interns collectively do so much of the work for the actual staff members (especially in the International Visitors Program where I was an intern) that it is obvious they have created free time for themselves. There is a very condescending way of instruction paired with the occasional expression that the staff member didn't like their own job. Our supervisors never arranged informational interviews for us, despite repeated requests. It seemed it was because they did not want to call their contacts and ask about this. Lots of attempts by staff to posture as "professional," while in fact being mildly to quite rude to unpaid interns.

I would suggest having more interns and allowing them to have actual responsibilities. There needs to be some tangible benefit to the intern from this unpaid experience. When there are job openings, I think these should be directly marketed first to the interns as well, we were all surprised and discouraged when they were not!

Abusive President

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at World Affairs Council - Seattle full-time for more than a year

Pros

The majority if the staff are exceptional including the new director of IVP, but the President is a tyrant.

Cons

Abusive President who bullies employees and violates the rights of unpaid interns. Other staff members, in particular the program officers, treat interns and other staff members in a condescending manner. The supervisor of the program officers has been working on these issues since she is new, but the President makes daily attempts to sabotage her efforts and to belittle her in the process. I too left when the Board refused to remove the President.

The President will never change and his behavior has most likely influence the attitude if the program officers. Remove him immediately before you lose more talented people and more students and associates in DC learn about the fact that the President and Board who are claiming to be supporters of democracy and human rights are actually the biggest violators. Shame in the Biard of Directors.

Good internship, wouldn't want to stay long term

Former Employee - Community Programs Assistant  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Community Programs Assistant in Seattle, WA

I worked at World Affairs Council - Seattle as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Good people, really cool events, I got lots of responsibility at the events my first week on the job

Cons

Not enough work to keep all the interns busy, really high turnover rate, office drama

I know it's a non profit, but pay employees a little bit more (not including the unpaid interns that make up half the staff), and they may stick around a bit longer

Great Internship to get your foot in the door

Former Employee - International Visitors Program Intern  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - International Visitors Program Intern in Seattle, WA

I worked at World Affairs Council - Seattle

Pros

there is a great staff and the environment is friendly , there is also a lot of opportunity to network, it is in a good location downtown and you are working for a good cause

Cons

the position is not paid and the work can be a little monotonous. At the beginning they mentioned many programs that were set up to advance interns but very few were realized.

WAC

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at World Affairs Council - Seattle

Pros

The building has a really nice view of the water side. It requires one to be in a professional environment.

Cons

Commuting is not fun at all to work in downtown when you don't live around there. Besides that nothing else really. The people are nice and the view is great.

Be more detailed and specific about what is needed to be done after completing the tasks. Don't give the interns too much pressure. Try working with them and correct them as needed along the process of each project.

Shameful Leadership

I worked at World Affairs Council - Seattle

Pros

The staff are highly motivated and fun to work with. Friendships made there can potentially last a lifetime.

Cons

The President and CEO has not been forced out by the board. It is because of his extreme bullying, ineffectual leadership, and unrealistic and grandiose goals that the staff completely turns over on an annual basis.

Worked for World Affairs Council - Seattle? Contribute to the Community!