World Duty Free Group

World Duty Free Group CEO Jose Maria Palencia Saucedo

Jose Maria Palencia Saucedo

Great workplace

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Portland, OR

ProsThe people you meet. Full time employment. Benefits.

ConsIt's not a Monday through Friday 9-5.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone.

Exhausting

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Millbrae, CA

Prosbenefits are decent, good security.

ConsTerrible LONG hours. There will be no time for your life outside of work.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire from within. Everyone is hired from outside and ends up messing up the company since no one really knows the reality of what it's like on the floor day and and day out. Also, no one has any advancment even though they have been there for 30+ years.

You are a machine not human to them

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Portland, OR

Prosworking at the airport is fun, that's it. nothing good in working with them

Consno flexible schedules, if you ask about some flexibility they will told you we don't care about your needs, we care about the business needs, if you don't like it you can leave. they keep hiring people and take hours away from our schedule to minimize cost.

Advice to Senior ManagementCare more about your employees needs and less about making profit, don't you ever wonder why you have high rate of turnover?? and please put stools in stores, you are killing your employees when they have to stand for 8 hours and more!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

World Duty Free Group is a company in growth with the integration of former retail division of HMS Host North America.

Store Manager (Current Employee) Saint Paul, MN

ProsEstablished European Company with new growth opportunities in North America. The company is working hard to understand the North American Travel Market in order to expand its foot print. Upper management recognizes and promotes talented and capable individuals. Some of the specialty divisions have won awards for their visual displays and the company is working to take advantage of that talent throughout its divisions. Even though this is travel retail and the hours of operation are long, associates are not expected to work unreasonalbe hours and management is not worked to death.

ConsAs with any transition there are and will be teething pains and changes. The company is in the process of disseminating its core values of excellent customer service to the new North American Division. This means there are and will be challenges ahead in communication, training. Because this is mainly travel related retail the hours of operation are long, and schedules need to be flexible, presenting challenges to management and employees alike.

Good ideas , too bad the follow thru on promises falls short.

Sales Supervisor (Current Employee) Tampa, FL

ProsLoved working with the people at the airport.
    Loved working with most of the people I worked with.
    Work was fast paced and demanding but I thrive on this type of environment.

ConsDisconnect between management and employees.
    Top managers want customer service to be number one but store level management is stuck in the task related environment. In other words it was more important to get all your task done for the day even though it would mean customer service suffered.
    HR is a joke no body goes to them with real issues because then everybody in the airport knows your business.
    Manager never posted opportunities for other airsides because she didn't want the good people to leave

Advice to Senior ManagementFind out why your people are leaving in droves.
    Follow the directions that are set out in the training/introductions that we got from wdfg.
    We are human beings first ,start treating us as such.
    Teach hr and your managers what workplace bullying is ?

Up and coming company from the UK that offers internal growth and succession planning.

HR Generalist (Current Employee) Bethesda, MD

ProsEmployees are not stuck and have room to advance.

ConsLots of travel may be required

Advice to Senior ManagementReducing Retention starts with treating people right, coaching, training, development and encouragement. These things go a lot further than telling others what your title is and letting it define who you are as a manager. Leaders lead!

Its a job.

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Tampa, FL

ProsPretty decent pay for a basic retail position.

ConsNo room for advancement in the company. Never promote internally. Good luck at getting a raise. HR is there but they do not help with any issues.

It's been a roller-coaster ride

Local Business Manager (Current Employee) Heathrow, England (UK)

ProsYou're able to make a real difference

ConsDealing with all the different time zones

Advice to Senior Managementwin more duty free competitive tenders

stressful but rewarding

Night Leader (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

Prosgood benefits and working patterns. Higher wages than high street retail. Lots of opportunity for development if you try. Good facility's for staff.

Consvery top heavy management structure leads to micro management and over involvement of management in minor issues. Over complicated procedures and outdated systems.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay more to skilled staff to attract better people in to roles. streamline middle management to save money. invest in systems to bring the company up to date with competitors.

Customer Services

Customer Service (Former Employee)

ProsLoved the job.
    Discount after 12 weeks.
    Members of staff were nice, mostly.

ConsManagers don't care about staff, favouritism, gossiping, lying.
    Hours we a nightmare too.

Worked for World Duty Free Group? Contribute to the Community!