World Fuel Services

World Fuel Services Reviews

Updated Apr 14, 2014

World Fuel Services President & CEO Michael J. Kasbar

Michael J. Kasbar

Must feed mgmt's ego's, if you don't or won't, collect a paycheck or leave...there's no advancement for you here.

Accounting (Current Employee)

I have been working at World Fuel Services full-time for more than 3 years

ProsMost of the people are genuinely nice. They attempt to foster a good culture. The benefits are really good. Healthcare plans are great, they offer 401K matching. They also have pre-tax deductions for health care FSA and child care FSA. Vacation is great, but holidays aren't always guaranteed. This depends on department. Work life balance in my dept is pretty good, but could be better and this varies greatly from dept to dept. Growing company.

ConsThe people who aren't genuinely nice are usually fake, backstabbing rats who will do anything or say anything to make themselves look great and others look bad. Many times these people are in management. These are the same individuals who are rewarded with promotions and raises (which doesn't speak very highly to the fostering of the culture they tout). There are people who work their butts off and are overlooked for raises because they won't "sell out" and "drink the culture kool-aid". Positions very silo-ed. "Jane" doesn't know what "Dick" does, etc.

Advice to Senior ManagementLive the culture. See through people who are just sucking up and stroking your ego. Maintain the culture through acquisitions. The reason I came to the company was salary and culture, the reason I'm going to leave will be culture.

If you like to work your weekends and vacations and have no empowerment this is the place for you

Senior IT Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at World Fuel Services full-time for more than 3 years

ProsLong lunches are the norm and the quality of the roses from the lobby vendor are outstanding.

ConsIT sr. management expects everyone to be at his beckon call - this includes weekends, evenings, holidays, etc. Planned vacations are not guaranteed, expect that your vacation plans can be cancelled at any time. Ability to be transparent with business partners is completely limited. You may only disclose and discuss what you've been told to say. Incredibly micro-managed culture at all levels of this organization. Don't expect to be respected for the expertise you were hired for and don't expect any investment to be made in you while you work here. This is an anti-training, anti-consultant, anti-learning culture. Very insular.

Advice to Senior ManagementLeadership changes are required across nearly every single organization from the uppermost levels down. The company and its negative culture are reflective of leadership. This leadership continues to cultivate a culture that is dragging this entire company down.

No Growth Potential

Senior Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at World Fuel Services full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood compensation package and work life balance

ConsExtremely disorganized; lack of training

Great experience!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at World Fuel Services as an intern for less than a year

ProsCaring co-workers
Provided substantial guidance
A lot of growth opportunities

ConsPolitical culture at times
Too many meetings

Fast paced, entrepreneurial and addicted to growth

Senior Vice President (Current Employee)

I have been working at World Fuel Services full-time for more than 3 years

ProsHighly entrepreneurial culture encouraging every single employee to think about bringing new business, whether organically or through acquisitions. Never a boring company.

ConsInternal flexibilities that allow for entrepreneurship also create confusion and conflicts among employees. Processes and procedures are often times vague.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore, not less, structure with clear goals and objectives for every employee. Reward people for their successes and hold people accountable for their mistakes. This should add value to the entrepreneurial culture the company is so intent in fostering.

Poor Interview process with lack of feedback

IT Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at World Fuel Services full-time for less than a year

ProsPerformance bonus in addition to the annual salary

ConsRecruiter do not get back to you if they do not select you.
Very disorganized interview process with lack of direction and organization

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat candidates with respect because they can recommend other to interview

Unaligned senior exec team

IT Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at World Fuel Services full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat location, work life balance is no challenge here - largely a 9-5 crowd

ConsNo strategy, indecisive CEO, culture of ridicule,tyranny in IT, no respect for skills and expertise of individuals, hugely inefficient operations, shortage of strong leaders, clueless board

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is a lot of money being left on the table as a result of the inefficiency, ineffective leaders and absent strategy. Most of us want to make money.

World Fuel Services Review

I have been working at World Fuel Services full-time for more than a year

ProsGood Place to Learn New Things.

ConsCareer Growth is very limited

High expectations...terrible experience...if you're good at "sucking up" and playing the game you'll fare better than I

Flight Planning/Logistics (Current Employee)

I have been working at World Fuel Services full-time for less than a year

ProsWork for a Fortune 100 Company--looks good on resume...WFS is one of the original players in the flight planning/ services for airlines/ corporate jet operations. The benefit package was excellent.

ConsThe technology in use is absolutely the worst I've ever seen/ used. The computers were at least 7 years old...the "Flight Coordinator's" that produce the flight plans for flight crew's are not licensed dispatchers--"computer monkey's" would be a better term. If flight crews (pilots) were aware that those running flight plans have no formal dispatch training (not licensed Dispatchers) it would certainly raise concern by most flight crews/ Captains. I never saw one flight planner even open an enroute chart...no clue how to read a SID or STAR....to me it seemed like a culture of ego's and was absolutely the worst experience of my career.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe technology in use is absolutely horrid. A sixth grade classroom would most likely have better quality computers than those in use for "flight planning." Those persons running "flight plans" are not even licensed dispatchers--most cannot even read weather, a METAR or TAF. No one knew what a "cost index" was...and if you really want to see what goes on?? Put a video monitor and/ or recorder on, during the shifts...the staff is great with the clients over the phone, but when the call is terminated--the things that were said about the clients, and the bitching that goes on is sickening.

High Performance Culture in a Stable Growing Fortune 100 Company

Human Resources Professional (Current Employee)

I have been working at World Fuel Services full-time for more than 5 years

ProsCompany is very entrepreneurial and you can come in & make an impact in your first year.

ConsDue to ultra fast growth there is a general committment to get a lot done each year.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep focused on your #1 Asset which is the great people in your organization. Promote even more from within. If you look at the financial performance there is not much you want to change so just keep improving.

Worked for World Fuel Services? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at World Fuel Services reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for World Fuel Services CEO Michael J. Kasbar . All 28 reviews posted anonymously by World Fuel Services employees.