World Learning

Updated Jun 11, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Adam Weinberg

Great organization to start your career in international development

Washington, DC

ProsYou will have the opportunity to work with some really great, passionate, and enthusiastic people. The culture of World Learning in DC is friendly, inviting, and non-competitive. They value hard work and the staff regardless of level. There is room for personal and professional growth in the organization, especially if you start off as an intern or Program Assistant. You can make your way up to Program and Senior Program Officer with time and dedication. Depending on the team and project there is opportunity to travel internationally which has its perks. There is always international groups coming and going in the office so you also meet very interesting people around the world. Vacation and benefits are good, and salary is competitive to DC development orgs. World Learning recognizes all national holidays and is even closed for the whole week of Christmas to New Years, so you don't have to use any vacation time.

ConsMany times there is a culture of favoritism shown by senior management. It would be wise to get on the good side of the managers and directors early on. You do have fend and lookout for yourself, so if you want a raise or title change then you have to go after it. If you want to be noticed, then you need to make it apparent to do so.

Forward-focused organization with a friendly culture

Program Officer (Current Employee)
    Washington, DC

ProsIt's great to work for an organization working for positive change in the world. Projects involve people from all over the world, and the people who work here are interesting, fun, and extremely competent. Lots of opportunities for professional development, lots of internal mobility. Positive, fun work environment.

ConsThe structure of projects means that people advance only to fill vacancies, and some projects don't have much turnover at the program officer level. You need to show initiative in order to advance. Entry-level pay is modest but comparable to other organizations.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe organization should expend more resources to expand: for example, currently the proposal development team is small, so program staff often write proposals. Sometimes there aren't enough people to write proposals for projects that would expand the scope of World Learning's work.

Bad pay, no room to move, poor management

Program Officer (Current Employee)
    Washington, DC

Proscasual work atmosphere, no micromanagement, good work/life balance, interesting work

ConsBad pay - not on par with competitors
    No room to move (unless you are buddy-buddy with your manager which is rare)
    Poor management

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote from within.

It's such a shame when I see our wonderful interns (that we don't even pay) aren't selected to be entry level! So many things are wrong with that.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

waste of time

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosa place for summer time

Consno further career development and promotion

Great first job in DC; fun workplace with education exchange programs

Program Associate (Former Employee)
    Washington, DC

ProsEnjoyed meeting all the international participants; lots of young people make for a fun environment; learn about ECA programs up close; gain understanding about international exchanges

ConsSalaries in this field in general are just low, and this is on par. Also, it can take a while to advance beyond your initial hiring position

Advice to Senior ManagementGive associates more responsibilities and opportunities to exercise creativity or practice writing skills

What once was is no more

(Current Employee)

ProsVermont campus provides the opportunity to live in a beautiful part of the country. There are still a few talented, thoughtful administrators. There are still some very quality programs, but...

ConsVery shortsighted and vague 'vision' with terminology coined by a CEO that had to hire banking consultants to slash and burn...CEO is wisely retreating to a new job before the intermediate and long term consequences of those actions are realized by students and board members. Cannot speak to DC operations, but Vermont campus longs to be a data/marketing driven organization in order to play with the big boys. Quality, thoughtful programming has taken a backseat to ever-expanding marketing and enrollment (sales) departments. Proceed with caution.

Advice to Senior ManagementPrograms first, marketing programs second: wagging the dog is not a sustainable enterprise.

Great place for a first job

Associate (Former Employee)
    Washington, DC

Prosgood camaraderie with junior staffers. Nice location in DC. Numerous professional networking opportunities with people from all corners of the globe.

Conslong hours and low salaries for associates. no bonuses. They job really depends on which manager you draw as a boss. Many of them are good people who are just ill suited for the job. My first manager was perving on me during my first day of work and had to be transferred. My second manager, who lasted only a few months, was a super cool person, but totally unmotivated. My last manager was even worse.

you are born a program officer you die a program officer!

Program Officer (Former Employee)

Prosrelaxed: truly, I do not find anything else that is a pro here. Oh, yes, one more thing, even though health insurance premiums are really high for the dinky salary you get, they give you $3000 on a card to pay for out-of-pocket expenses. thank you World Learning. The rest.... see below:

Consno employee development, low salaries, no advancement opportunities, clicks surround you, only friends to the management getting promoted for no reason at all, cinical attitude to employees, very high turn-over. You are going to rot in one place if you do not move ahead with your life and you will develop no skills at all, yes, NO SKILLS.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive people a chance to move ahead. Do not feel threatened! Promote people for good work and show appreciation for their loyalty! My first reaction when I started working here - this is a great place for losers! You will feel adored if you do not have any wish to move ahead. You will be born a program officer and you die a program officer!

A great non-profit to work for.

ProsThe people are passionate and amazingly informed on foreign policy issues. They have great opportunities for students from all ranges of experience.

ConsThe non-profit world brings with it some mismanagement; especially those of basic funds. There could also be better communication between departments.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou should talk to the state department more about what outcomes they expect for grant money. Long-term projects should be highlighted.

Worked for World Learning? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at World Learning reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for World Learning CEO Adam Weinberg. All 9 reviews posted anonymously by World Learning employees.