World Resources Institute
www.wri.org Washington, DC 150 to 499 Employees

World Resources Institute Reviews

Updated Dec 11, 2013
World Resources Institute – Washington – “Trabalho da Adri em Washington, DC (Photo thanks…”

Andrew Steer

Great place. Great people

Intern (Current Employee)
Washington, DC

I have been working at World Resources Institute as an intern for less than a year

ProsPeople, value of work, and work environment.

ConsDifficult to land full-time position. Lack of funding.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave a program where there is a possibility to become full-time.

Great first job and entry to the field, no career growth

Washington, DC

I have been working at World Resources Institute full-time for more than 3 years

ProsWRI is at the cutting edge of environment and economic development. If your passion is in these issues, it is one of the best places to work for since WRI has so much network in this field. Very smart and passionate people, great work environment and great work-life balance. Despite the cons below, exit opportunities are great.

ConsDespite the pros, the biggest con is the lack of career growth in the organization. The organization is growing rapidly with the new CEO Andrew Steer, however, WRI strongly prefers to hire new people for new positions instead of promoting existing staff. Existing staff gets pigeon-holed to their existing roles and responsibilities. There are very little to no room for growth, esp for junior staff. The institute is a great place to get your foot in the door and start working in this field and gather contacts and experience, but to advance forward in your career you must leave and go elsewhere.

This is not to say that WRI is not a great place to work, it is absolutely wonderful but all future staff must realize this risk when coming in. Turnover is extremely high and average tenure is around 2 years. Currently there are no efforts to fix or even acknowledge this problem from senior management.

Advice to Senior ManagementEither better utilize the great talent the institute already has, or be transparent in the beginning that career growth is not an option.

Good environment and working towards important things, but a bit all over the place"

I have been working at World Resources Institute as an intern

ProsGreat people, good working environment.

I like how WRI approaches much of its work, particularly its emphasis on outcomes, increasing its impact, and global partnerships.

Very smart and qualified people.

ConsPeople's experience varies depending on program.

Lack of communication between program and throughout the chain of command.

Great place, amazing people!

EMBARQ (Former Employee)

I worked at World Resources Institute full-time for more than a year

ProsThis is the place to go if money is not an issue. You will be working with some pretty amazing (and super smart colleagues).
Opportunity to be creative and work independently.
Lots of brown bags - great place to learn

ConsSalary. Health insurance could be a little better
Not very organized.
Some overqualified staff

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop a stronger governance framerwork. Most people don't know who they report to and who should make the final decision. Also, improve operations. You have the capacity to do bigger, greater things but people are isolated in each program duplicating efforts and often wasting time with forms, broken computers and expense reports.

research position intern

Intern, EMBARQ (Current Employee)
Washington, DC

Prosvery nice NGO, a lot of international employees.

Conspaid rate could be higher.

Very prestigious, great work culture and colleagues, not very good overall administration and compensation

I have been working at World Resources Institute full-time

Pros- Fantastic reputation for quality, independent research. Ranked the #1 environmental think tank.
- Extremely intelligent program staff, well respected, and supportive of junior staff
- Good work culture, flexibility
- Great tuition benefits, supportive of further education
- Very international (~15% staff are international). The only think tank I know of that sponsors work visas for all levels of employees, ensuring that they do hire the best possible person for the job, and are genuinely a global organization.

Cons- Salaries are not competitive
- Far too many administrative staff (fundraising, communications, etc.) who don't provide much value to the program staff, and result in a very high overhead.
- Tendency to hire overqualified (masters level) candidates for entry level positions, which can lead to frustration

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus more on building great programs and better salaries for program staff, and reduce overheads. Note that this is based on previous senior management

Dream employer working in the intersection between environment and development

I have been working at World Resources Institute full-time for more than a year

ProsWRI was my dream destination post-graduating from university. The cutting edge place at the intersection between environmental and development issues.

Staff are very bright, international and progressive, senior management is accessible and willing to listen to ideas if you are bold enough to reach out to them.

Programs are very diverse and WRI's reputation is solid in the field.

Always consistently trying to improve itself. esp now with the new strategic refresh initiatives from the new president.

ConsStaff tend to focus too much on fundraising. Need a new and more flexible funding mechanism.

Due to project-specific funding, it is very difficult for staff to change projects or to work outside a narrow field of specialty.

Silo-ed organization. Little interaction between programs and projects

Staff turnover extremely high

Advice to Senior Managementflexible funding and facilitate cross project/program staff collaboration.

Enriching experience, talented staff

Fellowship (Former Employee)

I worked at World Resources Institute full-time for less than a year

ProsWas fortunate to have such a nurturing supervisor who genuinely cared about my experience working there. Absolutely talented staff with diverse international experience and very friendly. Some of my great friendships were started here.

ConsNot a lot of collaboration and project interaction between different projects, generally confined to your own project and project team members.

Advice to Senior ManagementFoster more interaction and collaboration between different projects, so staff can get to know one another better and learn what other staff are working on.

Brilliant minds but a stifling environment with poor life/work balance

I have been working at World Resources Institute full-time for more than a year

ProsThe institute is well respected worldwide and is doing amazing work. Staff are smart, and at the end of the day you can feel that you've worked toward making a difference.

ConsWorking an environment of smart people can be boring. People around here tend to spend most of their day in their office (or in their own head). It's not uncommon to say hello in the hallways and get a blank stare.

Everything decision is made by consensus (READ: nothing ever gets done). Leadership is very much lacking as promotions generally are driven by great research beng rewarded, as opposed to great management. This leads to an environment where no one is clear on their roles and responsibilities and unless you're a great self-starter, you will be confused about what you're meant to do.

Turnover is exceptionally high at WRI. This is driven by the fact that flexible funding is so scarce. The organization is worthy of 10x the amount of money it brings in per year. The funding model is broken. Staff therefore spends six months of the year working on their project, and the other six trying to justify staying employed at the end of the year.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou recommend and reward bold leadership in governments around the world, but don't apply this same standard within the walls of the organization. Be bold, take a leadership role. Consensus building is not the only way to inspire staff. Innovative leadership can be even more effective.

Brilliant but terribly disorganized

Associate (Former Employee)

I worked at World Resources Institute full-time for more than a year

ProsBrilliant people, meaningful work, pragmatic

ConsUnclear human resources, broken funding model, lack of passion

Worked for World Resources Institute? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at World Resources Institute reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for World Resources Institute CEO Andrew Steer. All 19 reviews posted anonymously by World Resources Institute employees.