World Resources Institute Reviews

Andrew Steer

1. Great internship experience at WRI

Former Employee - Media Intern in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Media Intern in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at World Resources Institute (Less than a year)

Pros

I found the internship on a whim and it was one of my favorite experiences in college. Everyone was very kind, open and supportive. I learned a lot from various people around the organization and in the department I worked in. The work they do is inspiring.

Cons

I don't really have anything bad to say.

Like a drunk man at a urinal, it's sloppy but somehow he manages to get the job done and not fall over.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at World Resources Institute full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fantastic colleagues, just a great group of humans. Greatest strength of the organization is a group of brilliant, passionate people that really care about the work we do who form the backbone of the organization (probably the main reason they put up with senior management). Work place culture is one that reflects the organization, balances the crunchy with the pragmatic. Respected research reputation that you can leverage for a better job or grad school. Average or slightly above average pay and benefits for a large nonprofit. Comm

Cons

Cannot underscore this enough, HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE management. The CFO is one of the most arrogant and disrespectful people I've ever met AND I LIVE IN DC! In the 2+ years I've been at WRI I have no idea what the HR dept does! The program PCs do all of the hiring (candidate screening, interviews, on-boarding, visa processing). They do hand out of file forms, that's something I guess. Senior management loves to issue internal policy changes by decree without asking for input on implementation from staff that actually are responsible for implementing the policies. If you're applying to be a Project Coordinator, DO NOT TAKE IT! I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy. You will be treated as a second class citizen in an organization that has two castes, researchers and project admin. You will enter as a wide-eyed, 20 something and leave burnt out and jaded. If you're applying to be a Research Asst/Analyst, CAVEAT EMPTOR! See above. Although you're in the higher caste, your lot is only marginally better mostly because you don't have to deal with WRI's dysfunctional administrative structure as much. You're probably just coming out of that Masters program and think you're ready to make a difference, THIS PLACE IS NOT IT! You're likely going to be treated as a glorified secretary, proofreading, writing, gophering while under intense pressure to work long hours you can't legally be compelled to work but are shamed if you don't. The best case scenario here is that you can leverage this position into a jump up the chain at another organization.

Advice to Management

Take project management seriously! Take junior researchers seriously! STOP THE LIP SERVICE ABOUT HOW YOU"RE LISTENING AND YOU CARE.

Research Analyst

I worked at World Resources Institute full-time

Pros

Great platform for policy research; Creative environment; Talent coworkers; Good benefits; work-life balance;

Cons

Researchers receive the same salaries as program coordinators/managers; Junior researchers receives lots of responsibilities which is great, but they receive the same salaries as program coordinators; Unprofessional management; personal development might be interrupted if your manager leaves the organization; hierarchical organization, very long decision making process, more directors/managers than researchers;

Advice to Management

less hierarchical, more opportunities to junior staff, better compensations to researchers

Amazing staff, Unprofessional Management

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at World Resources Institute full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I can echo what 99% of these reviews are saying - amazing, talented, passionate staff members with serious expertise in their fields. Networking opportunities are great as you are exposed to many related international organizations. Benefits are good. Flexible hours.

Cons

Management is really, really bad. It's also a large reason why Junior level staff have little to no growth opportunity and end up leaving - there are hardly any tangible gauges for performance assessment in this company as it is largely subjective (as is the delegation of work). If there is a gap in a team's knowledge base, rather than invest in staff who are interested in taking on professional development work to gain new skills and fill it, the solution is usually to hire someone new. Additionally, many staff are overloaded with meetings, many of which return little to no action items as a result. There is considerable sitting around and chatting about things, with nothing getting done. There is tendency to focus on getting big name organizations in the industry to become a "partner" with them, rather than the focus on the projects at hand and having a measurable impact, and the lack of motivation to conduct proper, through research, at times sacrificing scientific accuracy and quality in favor of putting out a flashy end product as quickly as possible. From what I understand, WRI was once a research driven think-tank, but it seems to have adopted a "more talking, less doing" operation over the years, at least in my impression. It is a place that people use as a stepping stone rather than somewhere to put roots.

Advice to Management

Invest in junior staff and give them reason to stay. Stop making people managers who have no desire to manage others, or at least conduct mandatory and extensive training.

6. Overall Review

Former Employee - Intern/Fellow in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Intern/Fellow in Washington, DC

I worked at World Resources Institute full-time

Pros

Great if one is interested in working towards real change in environmental and social issues

Cons

Workload can be choking Management level was distant and slow in decision making Little or no coordination between the various depts

Advice to Management

Quicken decision making process Encourage interdepartmental relations Little chance for real growth within the organisation, but it's a strong place to start one's career

7. Great place to work

I worked at World Resources Institute full-time

Pros

WRI was my first job out of college. I loved it there. Job location was excellent, easy to get to because of its proximity to the train station, and good pay. Professional Development opportunities were plenty.

Cons

I don't have much to say that's bad about WRI.

8. Great research and staff, terrible management

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Pros

The work and research going on at WRI is top notch and the staff is exceptionally smart and talented.

Cons

Extremely poor management. Noncompetitive salaries.

Advice to Management

HR needs to require managers to undergo management training and promote managers for their management skills, not their research or expertise. Junior staff need to be offered more competitive salaries and clearer promotion paths, otherwise turnover (which is extremely disruptive to the work at its current rate) will persist and WRI will continue to lose young talent. Overall, the institute needs to focus more on professional development and retention.

9. Good for 2 - 4 years

Current Employee - Research Analyst in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Research Analyst in Washington, DC

I have been working at World Resources Institute full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A good place for fresh grads and young professionals to start their careers

Cons

Less competitive pay Bad promotion system

Advice to Management

Stop turning WRI into a consulting firm Start to learn about what our actual projects are

10. Incredibly talented staff, groundbreaking work, some growing pains.

Former Employee - Intern
    Former Employee - Intern

Pros

Fast-paced, international work at the forefront of global climate policy. Very talented staff, most people are an absolute pleasure to work with. It's definitely improving in terms of organizational structure.

Cons

HR and finance/admin is a bit of a nightmare to deal with. Had to fight them for weeks to get my paychecks right, which is tough as an intern. No benefits, low wage. Staff is currently crammed into the office (although it will be expanding soon).

Advice to Management

Pay your interns at a fair rate. While it could definitely be worse, other think tanks of similar size are paying more and including benefits. And consider making the default internship period longer. There's not much you can get done in 3 months.

11. Terrible management

I have been working at World Resources Institute full-time

Pros

Great PTO, some smart and wonderful people

Cons

Horrendous management. Senior level people get away with harassment with nothing more than a slap on the wrist. Leads to high turnover among non-senior staff

Advice to Management

Stop rewarding bad behavior

RSS Feed </> Embed