World Travel Holdings

Updated December 14, 2014
2.7

World Travel Holdings Co-Chairman and Co-CEO Brad Tolkin
Brad Tolkin

Pros
  • Great for people who want to work from home and don't need daily contact (in 27 reviews)

• But seriously, the best reason to work here is perhaps the people (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Even if you've never done a work-from-home job before (in 4 reviews)

• If you have worked in a call center then you know how bad those places really are (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Place To Work! Love working from home

Current Employee - Work At Home Customer Service Representative in Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at World Travel Holdings full-time (less than an year)

Pros

There is so much support while going through training. All of the resources are very easy to find. The calls are not what I am used to having worked in the contact center industry for 24+ years. Meaning, they are so much easier than what I am used! The coworkers are great. I am so pleased I accepted this position and love my job.

Cons

Honestly, the only con I have found is the schedules change every 3 months. I'm flexible so it's not an issue with me.

None. I am very pleased with my job.

Creating more than remarkable experiences.

I have been working at World Travel Holdings full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Open door to leadership teams. Constantly striving to get better and do more for employees to stay engaged and happy.

Cons

The pay is below market average it seems for middle management.

Continue to encourage employees to think more about what else the company could be doing and how to dominate the market place.

Great!

Former Employee - Vacation Consultant in Virginia Beach, VA
    Former Employee - Vacation Consultant in Virginia Beach, VA

I worked at World Travel Holdings full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

You can work from home, great support team and excellent benefits. Your earning potential is in your own hands.
    You also have the opportunity to go on Fam Trips, to see the product that you are selling.

Cons

Changing of compensation plans in favor of upper management, sometimes made for a hostile work environment.
    Caused the loss of some very good employees judging from their sales figures.

Keep compensation plans simple. In the training department it is very important that the person has a sound knowledge of Geography!

Great place to work from home

Current Employee - Customer Care in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Customer Care in Orlando, FL

I have been working at World Travel Holdings full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Overall, the company is an excellent place to work. No previous travel experience needed, 6 weeks of paid training, plenty of PTO and sick time offered, and well above average starting pay for entry level employees. Plus, the majority of the company is a virtual workforce, so you can work from home. No commute means no gas expense. Excellent training means you dont need to have a ton of travel experience, just the ability to interact with people and sell vacations.

Cons

The only real con to this company is its scheduling system. Shifts are assigned every 12 weeks and are mostly determined based on your performance, call handling, and attendance...hardly radical ideas. However as a 24/7 company this will (and does) leave some people with undesirable shifts that don't work with their personal lives. This can seem draconian, especially when it happens to you, but it is very well advertised both in hiring and training that this will be the case....its not a surprise.

Not really a con, but the company also uses a fairly straightforward attendance policy that rewards people that actually show up for work on time and penalizes those that don't, regardless of the circumstances. This comes as a rude awakening to those people that have been habitually late or have lots of "life happens" days at previous employers. It is by no means a one occurrence system though, there are plenty of opportunities to have "life happens", as it does to all of us. I felt I should put this in cons based on how many reviews spoke ill of it.

The travel industry is by nature seasonal, and as such, hours and work load can fluctuate from busy and flush with sales, to bored and hurting for hours. The company does a pretty reasonable job of balancing this with scheduling, timing their hiring season, and offering both a commission based position and an hourly based position.

Entry level pay is good, especially with no experience, but the hard cap for most positions is only slightly above entry level. This does not leave a lot of drive and ambition to increase performance once capped, other than the threat of termination. This can lead to a culture of "just doing enough to get by". Removing these caps would reward long time and devoted employees and give a target for those just starting, all for a very marginal increase in operating costs.

Advancement is available, with a focus on internal candidates, however openings for higher positions are scarce, as most of the workforce is in customer care, not support or management. This is another reason why there should be higher pay caps for hourly employees, and a higher base line for commission based positions.

Benefits are great, but health insurance premiums (as they are everywhere) are ridiculous. I don't feel like a lot of attention is paid to this other than "This is what we have from our insurance provider, take it or don't." More communication of health care benefits, what you're doing to bring down premium costs through negotiation and shopping around, and most importantly how the coming ACA changes are going to affect us and our pay checks would go a long way to reduce the burden your employees (and yourselves, since you supplement the plan) pay for health insurance.

Challenging, gratifying work with some excellent people

Current Employee - Analyst in Wilmington, MA
    Current Employee - Analyst in Wilmington, MA

I have been working at World Travel Holdings full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Some of the Good things that stand out to me are:
    1) Transparency and communication are high throughout the organization. You know how well the company is doing at all times and feel like you have a stake in it's success.
    2) There is committed, engaged ownership who are experienced in travel and genuinely enjoy being in the travel space.
    3) I have an open, honest relationship with my boss. There is very little I feel I can't share and I get regular performance feedback, both positive and negative. It is empowering to be given a clear sense of how I need to improve and where I'm doing well.

Cons

So many "priorities", not enough hands to accomplish them. The projects multiply like rabbits around here to the point that sometimes it feels overwhelming and unfocused. There is also a bit of an entrenched way of doing things, which limits testing new ideas/approaches.

yes i can attitude.

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Chili, WI
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Chili, WI

I have been working at World Travel Holdings full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

best service provided good guest communication and handling chutes.

Cons

to be on time according the guest .

more provided job opportunity.

Great place to work!

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Virginia Beach, VA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Virginia Beach, VA

I worked at World Travel Holdings full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Very supportive environment and wonderful people to work with. Great perks!!

Cons

Only 2 weeks of PTO per year which makes it difficult to take advantage of some of the travel perks.

Keep doing what you are doing because you are doing a great job! Consider increasing PTO as you are a bit below what other work at home companies offer.

AWESOME PLACE TO WORK

Current Employee - CCR in Altamonte Springs, FL
    Current Employee - CCR in Altamonte Springs, FL

I have been working at World Travel Holdings full-time (less than an year)

Pros

they promote within the company , alot of companys say it ... they DO it !!!!
    friendly , great open door policy

Cons

none really it is cold in the office

dont forget we do alot more work than yall see

Work hard, engage others, get rewarded

I have been working at World Travel Holdings

Pros

Wonderful people, great work/life balance, great performance is greatly rewarded. Progressive management team, love seeing that they are hiring more management positions from outside the company. promoting from within is great, when you have the talent, but it's also important to mix it up and bring in fresh sets of eyes now and again. I think there have been three external management hires in the last few months and I think it's about time!

Cons

There is quite a variety of folks -there are some amazing sales people with great attitudes and there are mediocre to bad ones who get frustrated because they want the benefits of being a great sales person without actually being one. If you aren't a great sales person or you dont like selling, I don't recommend entry level call center positions at WTH, it's not likely you will be happy as it is a performance driven environment.

Stop spending so much time/money trying to figure out scheduling and focus on other benefits for employees. The scheduling is what it is, so create things that make the crappy scheduling worth staying for. Better medical benefits, more recognition, or more travel opportunities. (just thoughts, there are many other options, i am sure) The way scheduling works is constantly changing because it has to - fine, just say what it is. People wont leave because of it if there are other things that make it worth staying. I think the brain power invested in all the focus groups and questions about how to schedule better would be better used thinking of ways to show love to the employees.

Incredible. I love my job, the role, the people and the direction we're heading in.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at World Travel Holdings

Pros

People, the work, hours, pay and and the fact that we are selling dreams. The travel industry is a fun industry to be in, especially since I love to travel.

Cons

We are a low margain business so there is a lot of pressure because every booking counts. It's a 24/7 business so it's hard to find employees willing to work the non desirable shifts.

Keep doing what you're doing! You did an awesome job at pulling this company out of hard economic times. You made the hard decisions and continue to keep your eye on the ball.

World Travel Holdings Photos