World Travel Holdings

World Travel Holdings Reviews

Updated May 29, 2014

World Travel Holdings Co-Chairman and Co-CEO Brad Tolkin

Brad Tolkin

Pros:
  • "Working from home is nice, there is a good support structure even though you work from home"
    in 17 reviews
  • "But seriously, the best reason to work here is perhaps the people"
    in 3 reviews
Cons:
  • "Throw them on the phones for the busy season during the first part of the year and when it slows down they are glad to see you go"
    in 4 reviews
  • "There's so much this company need to improve on for their call center"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Decent company

Customer Care Representative (Current Employee)
    Orlando, FL

ProsWorking from home is nice, there is a good support structure even though you work from home.

ConsDon't even think about vacationing during "wave season". Was told upon hire could have off for family wedding at end of March and was told after working for them I wouldn't have that time approved due to busy season.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe honest about PTO and requests from the beginning.

They simply don't care, no constancy and show favoritism only if you're a yes person. Over 10 years, lol who cares!

CCR (Current Employee)
    Woburn, MA

ProsWork from home, travel perks

ConsThey lie to you and are very shady! They remove you from positions with no reason, no advance warning or if they so desire to give you a reason it's bs. No matter who you go to in management to address concerns, they don't care they all stick together, even in HR. Open door policy doesn't exist! They will find any reason to fire you. People who've worked there for a Centry are treated like they just started yesterday. Dedicated, loyal and hard working employees mean nothing to them. People who have stayed that long only stayed for the travel perks and work from home. I'm one of them. Honestly at this point in my opinion it's not worth my sanity. Every thing most come to end and I feel the end is near. I believe in karma and believe there's a better plan for me.

Advice to Senior ManagementGROW SOME! Stick up for your employees, look out for them and stop abusing them because of the title you hold, you think you can treat people that way. Give poisonous boss classes and instead of finding everything wrong with agents that are forced to sell vacations or forced to stay in available when most of the time it's highly impossible, investigate the team leads and the CS managers, that's where you need to clean house. Come visit us, email us and ask us how where doing and what issues we have and you will be surprised that while you're sitting on your yacht some where or in some fancy million dollar home. Your management team is taking advantage and mistreating us like slaves! Slavery days are over! We are the reason wth is business!

It"s all about the bottom line and the owners egos...NOT about the employees

ProsThe best thing is the other employees, though that has changed since most people now work from home...NOT management....the are terrible...UPPER management that is...

ConsYou name it...unprofessional, no one knows what is really going on, management is a mess, will work employees until they quit or are fired for a simple mistake (or whenever they want new blood in), want to appear as though they are a good company,but the budget is the most important thing.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of some of the upper management in both cruise and villas. They are shady and only looking out for themselves.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Repetitive, Work at Home, No support

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee)
    Virginia Beach, VA

ProsWork from home saves money
    Pay is decent

ConsThis seems as if it's an easy job right? Well it could be really but the standards they put on you are really unnecessary. I was hired as a Customer Service Rep, not a sales agent but what they don't tell you until you actually get into training is that your employment relies on sales instead of the service role you were hired from. I'm not a pushy person and I don't feel comfortable being overbearing. Sometimes people just really want to call and get prices. Cruises aren't cheap so yeah if I'm going to spend that much money I'm going to do my research but WTH doesn't see it that way. Plus you have to factor in travel insurance into all that, many of which don't want it as it is an extra cost that they just don't have the money for or see it as being wasteful. We're supposed to be travel experts but the training in no way left me feeling that way. Once you learn the initial booking software you are on your own.

They have a guide that you are supposed to follow for every call but honestly the customers won't let you even touch on some points. I don't blame them, when I call a place I want my problem addressed not having to sit and verify a bunch of information that in the end doesn't pertain to my initial issue.

Then there is the even more unnecessary post call survey. Most of the time I don't even mention it because nobody wants to take those. It's a one and done thing, you call in for something specific, it gets answered and you get off the phone. That's really the gist of this kinda of work.

I was off for 5 days due to sickness and come back only to get an email about my stats not being high enough for the month. I was told not to send back excuses and that I obviously wasn't including travel protection in my quotes since the percentage wasn't high. I do include it but I'm not going to tell someone you either take it or don't bother making a reservation. That's really how they think. But did the woman emailing me take into account that I missed 5 days? Nope she just sent that rude email and that was it.

The schedule is another thing. What I have works for our family but I feel so isolated being in a room behind a closed door that it's like I actually am in a separate building. If it gets busy they actually tell you not to take a break. You get a new schedule ever 12 weeks but you never get two days off in a row.

Then you have to deal with customers who go to a website and don't read the fine print on promotions only to get rude when you tell them the truth behind how those work. You can only explain things so many times before you yourself start to get frustrated. And don't get me started on foreign people who think they are entitled to the moon and stars when there is absolutely nothing you can do to help them.

Overall if I wasn't paid decently and in the process of finishing up college I wouldn't be here. I've got to the point where I cringe every single time a phone call comes in but in this job market it's hard enough to find something to keep you at home with this kind of pay. There are some calls where I know I'm being rude but there are certain people in this world you can't be nice to no matter how hard you try. I'm not one of these people that can kill them with kindness because I look at the big picture. The general population thinks that any person they call in and talk to are below them. They think they are always right and I've got news for some of these people you are so far from being right it's laughable. If you think the prices are too high, then take a land vacation. Nothing in this world is free so stop acting like it is.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook over your blessed customer connection as it's a waste of time. It's not something that magically works as all your higher management types say. Stop having team leads that are so pushy and let us do our job the way we feel comfortable. Otherwise give us a script to follow, from start to finish and tell us exactly what to say, don't suggest things just outright tell us. Let the customer call in with a question and let us fix it. Exclude all the useless things they don't want to hear about and be glad that at the end of the day you have their business. Verifying their first/last name is all you need. The post call survey needs to go because all it does it lower our stats and give you something to complaint to us about.

Not a bad place to work

Wilmington, MA

ProsFocus on employee retention, promote from within, management all the way up to CEO's are approachable and accessible.

ConsCommunication can be an issue, pay doesn't always seem fair, double standards with some managers and supervisors, not all departments are always treated equally which can make people feel undervalued.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove communication between departments, model the behavior that you want your direct reports to display - "do as I say, not as I do" doesn't work well.

Terrible communication, company is behind the times in most ways.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Wilmington, MA

ProsDepending on the team, a good work/life balance
    Decent compensation

ConsTerrible top-down communication as well as between cross-functional teams
    Review system is flawed and executives have no motivation to empower employees
    No career path
    Bogged down in outdated processes

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest time and money in your young, motivated employees to keep them engaged and make them want to stay.

Great place to work from home

Customer Care (Current Employee)
    Orlando, FL

ProsOverall, the company is an excellent place to work. No previous travel experience needed, 6 weeks of paid training, plenty of PTO and sick time offered, and well above average starting pay for entry level employees. Plus, the majority of the company is a virtual workforce, so you can work from home. No commute means no gas expense. Excellent training means you dont need to have a ton of travel experience, just the ability to interact with people and sell vacations.

ConsThe only real con to this company is its scheduling system. Shifts are assigned every 12 weeks and are mostly determined based on your performance, call handling, and attendance...hardly radical ideas. However as a 24/7 company this will (and does) leave some people with undesirable shifts that don't work with their personal lives. This can seem draconian, especially when it happens to you, but it is very well advertised both in hiring and training that this will be the case....its not a surprise.

Not really a con, but the company also uses a fairly straightforward attendance policy that rewards people that actually show up for work on time and penalizes those that don't, regardless of the circumstances. This comes as a rude awakening to those people that have been habitually late or have lots of "life happens" days at previous employers. It is by no means a one occurrence system though, there are plenty of opportunities to have "life happens", as it does to all of us. I felt I should put this in cons based on how many reviews spoke ill of it.

The travel industry is by nature seasonal, and as such, hours and work load can fluctuate from busy and flush with sales, to bored and hurting for hours. The company does a pretty reasonable job of balancing this with scheduling, timing their hiring season, and offering both a commission based position and an hourly based position.

Advice to Senior ManagementEntry level pay is good, especially with no experience, but the hard cap for most positions is only slightly above entry level. This does not leave a lot of drive and ambition to increase performance once capped, other than the threat of termination. This can lead to a culture of "just doing enough to get by". Removing these caps would reward long time and devoted employees and give a target for those just starting, all for a very marginal increase in operating costs.

Advancement is available, with a focus on internal candidates, however openings for higher positions are scarce, as most of the workforce is in customer care, not support or management. This is another reason why there should be higher pay caps for hourly employees, and a higher base line for commission based positions.

Benefits are great, but health insurance premiums (as they are everywhere) are ridiculous. I don't feel like a lot of attention is paid to this other than "This is what we have from our insurance provider, take it or don't." More communication of health care benefits, what you're doing to bring down premium costs through negotiation and shopping around, and most importantly how the coming ACA changes are going to affect us and our pay checks would go a long way to reduce the burden your employees (and yourselves, since you supplement the plan) pay for health insurance.

Keep looking! There are reasons why the turnover is so high.

Sales Pro (Former Employee)
    Pittsburgh, PA

ProsYou can be promoted if you can endure the schedule, team leads, dubious ads and still act like you are the happiest person in the world.

ConsAdvertising usually is targeted at those people who want the absolute cheapest cruise, while management creates pressure to maintain the highest results. What suffers is usually the sales peoples earnings. Much of your earnings would be from selling travel insurance and someone who is looking for a $99 three night bargain is not interested in increasing their costs.

The software program that drives their system is a patched up, decades old relic that should be retired. It will cause you to waste hours of time talking to their tech people to try to get cruises booked, which is time when you would be earning $0. It can be very frustrating, especially when you are trying to end your shift and you end up staying over on your time to try to get things done.

Their phone system is designed to sort out the incoming calls. People who want longer cruises or international cruises will go to those employees who typically been there the longest and have the best closing rates and insurance sales. It is very hard to generate the necessary level of results that produce the better incoming calls when the phone system channels people looking for a cheap 3 day cruise bargain to your phone. Even if you get to the top levels of performance it is still possible that management will flood the market with a massive amount of emails that are designed to get that super cheap shopper to call in and flood the phone lines which then goes to everyone and will drive everyone's performance down.

Entry level shoppers can take just as long as a high end cruise shopper and many entry level cruises will pay less than $10 in commission and can actually cost you dollars if it drops you insurance sales to a lower commission percentage. I once worked a 9 hour Saturday, sold $6600 worth of cruises and ended up earning less for the week than when I started working that morning. This was because management did an email blast featuring super cheap cruises. I sold just enough cruises to those buyers that dropped my insurance percentage down and I lost more than I gained. However management made out great. They got me work a Saturday evening, gained $6600 in cruise sales and I still sold some insurance and then they paid me less than zero for the day. Not a bad deal for them and I doubt if that policy will ever change.

It is a real shame that this company does business this way. I was hired in a group of about 33 sales people, (I believe that over 120 total where hired that fall). Of the 33 I would say that over 30 of them had been experienced middle aged professionals who came to WTH with sales experience and the expectation that they would succeed because they had in the past, me included. When I left 9 months later, there were 7 from that group left and to my knowledge only one was let go. The others decided that a “work from home career in the travel industry” just wasn’t worth it. If you decide to work at World Travel Holdings there is a very high probability that you will not stay. Management really doesn’t care. There company has evolved with a business model where they hire and train a lot of people in the fall. Throw them on the phones for the busy season during the first part of the year and when it slows down they are glad to see you go. In the meantime most new hires will be taking all the calls and work all the worst schedules that the handfuls of their top producers just don’t want. It works for WTH but didn’t for me.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire some true professional sales and business managers from outside of the industry. Also it wouldn't hurt to try to improve your employee turnover rate. But that would take some new thinking and a lot of work to change the well engrained business model that you currently have. On second thought, just brainwash your managers that having an artificially sticky sweet personality is what sales management is all about.

OK at best

Travel Agent (Current Employee)
    Virginia Beach, VA

ProsVirtual positions available, no commuting or clothing expense

ConsConstant pressure from team leads who are never available to help you. Travel pros and CS reps work very hard while the team leads find pictures and cartoons to put in emails. Ever changing goals can make you crazy especially during very busy times. Days off are scarce. They expect you to experience cruises but don't give you enough time off to go. Schedules change every 12 weeks and are assigned by performance. Family vs work balance is poor. The only thing important is company needs. Do something wrong and you become a target. Very high turnover.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a good look at lower and mid management.

employee turn out is insane

Customer Care Representative (Former Employee)
    Virginia Beach, VA

Prosopportunities for advancement are promising, starting pay is great for entry level employees with no formal education, incentives are available, hires and promotes from within the company

Consthe scheduling system is really bad, management only wants a warm body answering phones and making sales, they don't care about your life outside of the office, team leads are poorly trained if at all (often times they go on power trips), if you aren't a top seller in the first 3 months team leads do whatever it takes to get you out of there

Advice to Senior Managementspend more time on training everyone, staff, and management, it will make a huge difference in long run

Worked for World Travel Holdings? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at World Travel Holdings reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for World Travel Holdings CEO Brad Tolkin. All 65 reviews posted anonymously by World Travel Holdings employees.