World Travel Holdings

Updated December 14, 2014
2.5

World Travel Holdings Co-Chairman and Co-CEO Brad Tolkin
Brad Tolkin

Pros
  • Great for people who want to work from home and don't need daily contact (in 27 reviews)

• But seriously, the best reason to work here is perhaps the people (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Even if you've never done a work-from-home job before (in 4 reviews)

• If you have worked in a call center then you know how bad those places really are (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

employment through intimidation

Former Employee - Customer Care Representative in Virginia Beach, VA
    Former Employee - Customer Care Representative in Virginia Beach, VA

I worked at World Travel Holdings full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The ability to work from home. The ability to sell cruise vacation's while in your PJ's. I worked for the company for over 3 years and when I first started it was a different place than it is now. BE WARNED!!! I left the company under good terms but I won't be back!!

Cons

I felt such a sense of relief when I left this company. I was actually able to stop taking the anxiety drugs that I had been on for a little over a year. You will stay employed as long as you are feeling that your job in jeopardy daily. If you can make it through the first year with no real issues and continue to live in fear of your job - you are safe. The top leadership has stepped away from the helm and left the running of the company to a woman who is out of touch with the most valuable asset, the employee. Team leaders are not experienced in real leadership but are promoted by their ability to intimidate or simply follow instructions with no question and those that do have great leadership skills are beaten down until they conform or they are demoted/fired.

Top management needs to get back to the basics of running your company. It used to be the most amazing place to work. You have let down your employees and your customers. The excitement that was once generated is now replaced by fear and intimidation. Take your company back!! Remember what you are doing is about creating a great place for your employees that you used to refer to as family but now you cannot even remember the names of the faces you see. You used to come to the office locations and really open yourselves up to your employees but now you have shut the door to them. Your company will continue to be blasted until you make it what it once was.

Should be better

I have been working at World Travel Holdings full-time

Pros

work from home, pay is over $10 per hour, benefits, full time work

Cons

The attendance policy is horrendous. You are on a points system so when you drop below a certain number you get wrote up. They take into account that people get sick but even if you do provide a doctor's statement you still get points deducted. That's the point in providing a doctor's statement if you still get points deducted?

Upper management is completely dislocated from reality making me wonder if they ever did call work at all.

If your stats aren't what they consider great you'll get written up or an email sent to you stating all the things you aren't doing even though you technically are. Power hungry supervisors, team leads and upper management. Only thinking about themselves instead of the well being of their employees that keep them in business.

Start from the top and weed out the problems first before taking it out on your call agents.

Caring company, excellent to work for, strong ethics and leadership

I have been working at World Travel Holdings (more than 10 years)

Pros

Truly ethical leadership, strong corporate culture, recognize talent

Cons

Very conservative, not always industry leader or innovative enough

Set Up For Failure, Not Success

I worked at World Travel Holdings full-time (less than an year)

Pros

You do get to work from home, hired as an employee instead of a contractor and the pay is seemingly more than most work at home call centers.

Cons

6 weeks of training yet you are not very prepared for the calls and questions you will get asked which leads you to put the customer on hold until you can get the answer. The team lead that I was assigned to was more interested in sales than actually helping someone so I always had to go another route which took extremely too long at times. My training class was led to believe we would be getting more service than sales calls which was the exact opposite once we were on the phones full time. As you are a CCR you don't get commission from bookings you make as you are paid strict hourly wages with little to no incentives.

Unless you are a top seller within the first six months they do set you up to fail. My situation was given a schedule that would not fit my personal needs at all. They forced me to choose between my family and the job itself. I later found out they did this to more employees over the last week or two when the new shifts went into place. As someone here stated they get rid of the low sellers with the new shift changes causing the high turnover process.

They used my vacation times without approval a few times when I called in sick in turn dwindling down my paid time not even telling me but letting me find out when I got my pay stub so there wasn't a way to get it back. When I did ask for time off it was only approved after I had to almost beg the scheduling department.

Travel discounts are laughable plus you have such a hard time getting paid time off you don't get to take advantage of the small discounts you do receive.

Upper management is a complete joke. They don't care about the employee or their personal concerns. Don't have an open door policy if you don't intend to use it correctly. The turnover rate is something you should definitely take a look at. If you are having to do a massive hire for new employees every year then something is not right. This is the first job I've ever had that lost so many people it required you to basically restaff at the end of the year. Listen to your employees, make changes that keep them happy and there to answer calls. Have your team leads retrained because they are not there for support at all. You pay them higher wages to attach pictures to emails they send to everyone.

MOST DISRESPECTFUL PEOPLE I HAVE EVER MET

Former Employee - Virtual Travel Agent in Virginia Beach, VA
    Former Employee - Virtual Travel Agent in Virginia Beach, VA

I worked at World Travel Holdings full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Nothing but rude and disrespectful people.

Cons

horrible program, disrespectful people, no true management,
    My daughter was injured at school... and my husband is active duty... They were all about me I was going to be one of their BEST employees and yadda yadda... boy they lied!
    My husband was leaving and they point blank told me that since my husband was leaving they didnt care... they were not going to work with me.. MY HUSBAND IS GOV. PROPERTY I dare them tell the government no. I called HR and they said go ahead... well then my Step daughter that I have emergency custody of (because of sexual abuse as they were told) and my other child had chickenpox.... I work from home.. so I should be allowed to have my chickenpox child here.. nope they told me that I was to find someone to watch her or they were gonna fire me.. THEN my step daughter came in to let me know that someone was here and i was on a CALL nothing major just a call with training.. * that is ridiculous and just unnecessary.* and they told me they were gonna fire me if I didnt show Military proof and doctors notes that my children had been sick and sexual abused! ARE YOU SERIOUS.. I sent over the information and proof because i have nothing to hide... and they kept threatening me.... I called military and black listed them as a company of recommendations!

BEWARE HORRIBLE COMPANY!

FIND ANOTHER JOB!

Not that impressive

Former Employee - Customer Care Representative in Wilmington, MA
    Former Employee - Customer Care Representative in Wilmington, MA

I worked at World Travel Holdings full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Work from home, full time

Cons

Training will have you believing this place is a level above the rest but it's nothing special. Never could get a day approved off so I eventually just started calling in whenever I had appointments or outside responsibilities. My team lead was horrible. She wasn't interested in talking with you unless you were in the top 10 for sales.

There aren't any notable perks of working here. Travel discounts are very minor but even then you can't take off time to use them. Benefits are higher than most companies.

HR is worthless if you have a real problem or concern. You get the fake empathetic tone telling you they completely understand yet make no attempt to help.

There is no point in advice. These people don't like change and are fine with the high turnover rate.

They force you to quit

I worked at World Travel Holdings full-time (less than an year)

Pros

decent pay, work from home

Cons

They will eventually force you to quit if you are not a top seller. I was a CCR, not the best but honestly I didn't want the job for sales experience. I was told upon hiring it was for customer service. Dead wrong about that. Was there for 10 months and with this last shift bid they forced me to quit. The schedule was not even close to my availability and when stating my case as to why I needed specific hours they basically told me too bad. I was in absolute tears and resigned a few hours later. What's so wrong with allowing people to keep a set schedule? Why do you have to change every 12 weeks? Oh that's right, so they can weed out the low sellers. Beware all new hires. You won't last a year.

My advice isn't professional enough to put in.

Dishonest

I have been working at World Travel Holdings

Pros

Call centers are high energy. Work from home option is good idea for some workers.

Cons

Just a totally dishonest, greedy company. H.R., supervisors, upper management all lie. The dishonesty begins with the job ad. They advertise for customer service reps, but in reality the job is a sales rep position. Firing decisions are based on sales totals alone regardless of ones customer service performance or customer commendations. They own several websites and pretend to callers to be different companies-deceptive to say the least. They even lie about their employee surveys. They send out surveys that they claim are anonymous. Any dissatisfation that you report is then addressed with you in a day or two and then the supervisors start targeting you for close scrutiny. It happend to meand I remember thinking "wow an aanonymous survey that really is not".Dishonest, unethical............sucks

Pray and ask God to grant you all character.

Good Benefits for WTH

I have been working at World Travel Holdings

Pros

Travel Benefits, Insurance, 401K, Bonuses avail etc

Cons

schedules change very fast, strict metric requirements

Don't Be Suckered In!

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at World Travel Holdings full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The pros - well, it's a job in "travel" I guess & you work from home.

Cons

Where to begin...1st of all, the people in this company couldn't care less about anyone new. They don't even advertise & hire "Sales Reps". You are considered "Customer Service" however your only job-goal is to SELL. They treat you like they expect you to fail & the give nothing extra to ensure that you don't. They ILLEGALLY gather ALL phone numbers of customers without their knowledge. When a customer calls into one of the many phone numbers, they think they're getting an actual cruiseline customer service when in actuality, they're getting a call center that answers calls for MOST of the major cruiselines. The customer's phone number is visible to the phone agent, if if the customer blocked their number. IS THIS EVEN LEGAL?? Even if you've never done a work-from-home job before. It's like a factory & working on production. They will never allow you to send an email or written note to a customer. They ask "why do you need to send an email"? Well, because the customer specifically ASKS you to send them an email. WTH says there's never a reason to NOT close a sale when you've quoted a rate. It's absurd & agents are setup to fail. If you happen to luckily make some sales, then you will be scrutinized as to why you said a instead of b, or should have upsold the cruise with a better cabin. NOTHING IS EVER GOOD ENOUGH...NOTHING. The only people who do well with this organization are the ones who are already working there. DON'T BE SUCKERED IN!!!

HERE'S A NOVEL APPROACH...START WITH HONESTY, both with yourself & with new employees. Stop illegally capturing all your callers' phone numbers, stop treating your new employees like you have no faith in them & expect them to fail. Spend more time placing value on your staff & you might see a decrease in your mind-boggling turnover rates. Correct the job titles & call it what it is...customer service & sales are 2 different things, in the rest of the world outside of WTH. STOP taking on more & more cruiselines as clients until you FIX what you already have.

World Travel Holdings Photos