World Vision

Updated September 18, 2014
Updated September 18, 2014
3.4

Richard Stearns

Pros
  • Making a difference for children in need around the world (in 7 reviews)

• Work-life balance is encouraged and possible (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • As a non profit they cannot match market wages, so total compensation can be a challenge (in 6 reviews)

• Very few opportunities to advance past the call center (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

26 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great people, transparent organization

Former Employee - Intern in Federal Way, WA
    Former Employee - Intern in Federal Way, WA

I worked at World Vision as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Tight community bonds with co-workers, widespread belief in the organization's mission a unifying theme, transparent and accessible leadership, beautiful campus, opportunities to volunteer in the community, lots of social opportunities for employees.

Cons

A bit far away from the city (Seattle) and lots of traffic, very large organization so hard to meet everyone, very few offices (expect to work in a cubicle).

Grateful for my job, my great friends, and my awesome bosses.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Federal Way, WA

I have been working at World Vision full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I have made some incredible friends at work. They care deeply about me and my family. They are funny. They are kind. You will not find a group of nicer people. Middle management is smart and works hard. My boss genuinely looks after me, as well as the other managers in my department. We are like a big family.

Cons

It's a large organization, and so the usual challenges come along with that: slow to move, but powerful when moving. Like a heavyweight boxer.

It's great to feel like your work is doing something more useful than improving shareholder value!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Federal Way, WA

I worked at World Vision full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

People you work with are really good people and everyone that is there is really committed to making a difference in the world. It's a great environment to be in.

Cons

It is a religious organization and so only Christians are hired and basically only devout, church going Christian's are marketed to. This invades the overall culture, where everyday, conversational language is infused with religiosity, people gather every day for devotions or chapel and meetings typically begin with prayer. It can be a little overwhelming if your religion isn't such a dominant part of your life.

Encourage more inclusive language. Even though Catholics do work there, Protestants dominate and derisive comments about Catholics (or people of other religions in general) are not that uncommon. A more ecumenical environment is needed.

Dysfunctional management ruining potential

I have been working at World Vision full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great mission, great field operations, many strong, dedicated employees

Cons

Other reviews have done a great job of pointing out some of the weaknesses which largely have to do with the marketing department. It's lead by a long-time employee with no grasp of marketing or strategy, key VPs lack basic management skills, and one VP has accurately been called "toxic" in other reviews. They are a big part of the problem but have no self-awareness to change. Instead, it's a gossip driven, finger pointing place with a very deserved reputation for being passive aggressive.

Morale is very low as the rank and file have lost confidence in the marketing team's leadership. Hopefully significant change will come soon, or the best employees will continue to leave. Until a COO and CMO are in place and big changes in management happen, I just can't recommend it as a place to work.

It's time for sweeping change in marketing leadership and organization. There are many really strong employees who could be given a chance to provide leadership and a much healthier environment. World Vision's marketing leadership is not living up to the Christian values that the organization is based on and needs to be revamped.

Fear and mediocrity holding us back

Current Employee - Director, Marketing in Federal Way, WA
    Current Employee - Director, Marketing in Federal Way, WA

I have been working at World Vision full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The work that World Vision does around the world is pretty amazing. There is a very smart, experienced approach to fighting poverty and oppression. It is aimed at the roots of the problems we face, and World Vision is dedicated for the long haul in the areas where it works. For those of us who work in the support (fundraising) office, which is what the HQ in Federal Way is, this makes us feel that we're working for an organization we believe in. If you are a marketer, you have a brand that you would be proud to represent. But....

Cons

Our fundraising office has failed to grow revenue for years. There appears to be a dedication to remaining unremarkable.

The following problems are well known within the company, discussed every day by employees, and are not addressed by leadership at all. This is demoralizing:
    - The marketing department (called Mobilization) is run by a homegrown 25+ year employee who is not a marketer. As a result, the direct marketing approach the company has taken for, well, 25+ years hasn't changed with the times. This person is simply not equipped to lead a change.
    - A system of SMART goals perpetuates silos and inefficiency with people working at cross-purposes.
    - The culture is also a thing of the past, hierarchical and overly deferential on the basis of rank, even when leadership is lost or incompetent.
    - There is little to no career path for bright young stars, so they leave. This perpetuates mediocrity. Underperforming, or "pretty good" employees are rewarded for playing the game. They can stay as long as they like.

The following problems are not recognized by management and therefore are not addressed by leadership either. Also demoralizing:
    - They are a big part of the problem.
    - Forays into new marketing practices or new markets are withdrawn too quickly if initially unsuccessful. Fear is at the heart of this.
    - The brand is stuck in the way back machine, and the stewards of the brand are tired. Any true creativity was sucked out of them long ago.

Embrace change, grow a pair, or retire. Make way for leadership with a braver, more current approach to the market.

Realize that the current course is NOT the safe course. We are dying a slow death!

Don't try to dress up poor management with "Christian values". Putting up with poor performing employees is poor stewardship. Firing them would be more "Christian" then trying to nurture them to perform. At best they'll become mediocre. We CAN do more with less. Addition by subtraction.

Good COO, CMO are vital. PS - identify your best people and let them do the interviews and hiring.

Ineffective and Disorganized

Current Employee - Manager in Federal Way, WA
    Current Employee - Manager in Federal Way, WA

I have been working at World Vision full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

There's a strong sense of feeling called to work here. There are some amazing stories of God working (or "coincidences" if you're not a God-person) to bring people to work there.

Cons

The organization is not unified - autonomy leads to wasteful spending, duplication of effort, a fractured voice and fighting over who gets to talk to the donors. A long history of direct mail (which is still highly effective) makes it difficult for newer methods of fundraising from getting legitimate attention. When direct mail finally fails, they're going to be in a world of hurt. Political infighting and complacent management have really ruined what should have been an amazing opportunity. On the business side of things, no one recognizes the value of the data they have any so are not using if effectively. On the marketing side, everything is an urgent tragedy and that wears thin quickly.

I'm currently actively looking for a new job in the for-profit world. If I'm going to have to deal with this kind of behavior, it might as well be for better pay and not off the hard-earned dollars of our donors. I had explored another position within the organization but eventually withdrew. I asked the recruiter what the career path and they actually said this out loud to me "Well, the position's supervisor, so-and-so, well, they aren't planning to leave any time soon so there isn't much in the way of a career path right now." Now I had heard rumors that people thought that way, but I would have never thought in a million years that someone would actually verbalize that your career is solely dependent on the square above you on the org. chart freeing up. That is not career development or career pathing, that's horrifying.

Lead us. Take us in a single direction. Eliminate competing scorecards. Appoint a CMO. Hire a CIO. (Your CIO is really a CTO.) World Vision needs to present itself as a singular organization with a consistent brand voice that's relatable and that everyone on staff can immediately understand and use to filter their choices through. You don't need to micromanage, but you need to be more involved and establish that voice and tone.

Oh, and stop spinning everything. We never fail at anything. Ever. You think that would be awesome. But when all they do is repeatedly adjust the goals, it stops feeling good.

Good experience overall...

Current Employee - Senior Systems Administrator in Federal Way, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Administrator in Federal Way, WA

I have been working at World Vision full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Christian environment, flexibility with schedule, pension + 403b

Cons

similar to politics in the public sector...favoritism...not much recognition of achievements

Recognize the achievements of employees more...

Good work, good people.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Federal Way, WA

I worked at World Vision full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Working for the greater good makes it all worth it. My manager was very supportive and flexible when it comes to family. Easy environment to adapt to. Everyone is very accommodating. Daily devotionals and weekly chapels on Wednesday help keep you focused on the mission and updated on the latest news from the field.

Cons

Expect a pay cut from what you would normally make in the for-profit world. Promotions and advancement may be slow. Lots of talk before it actually happens.

It's a highly matrixed and complex org., but a positive work environment, great benefits, and highly meaningful work.

Current Employee - Writer II in Federal Way, WA
    Current Employee - Writer II in Federal Way, WA

I have been working at World Vision full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Making a difference for children in need around the world. Working with people who share your faith. Great health/PTO benefits. Pretty decent wages for it being a non-profit. Generally encouraging, positive work environment. Value of work-life balance.

Cons

Below market salaries for similar jobs in the for-profit world, but better than average for a non-profit. Promotions and advancement can seem mysteriously political.

The Professional Development plans can be a bit of a joke, depending on your manager. Would be great to have a clearer development track into management.

Challenging Job at a Fantastic non-profit

Current Employee - Donor Service Representative in Federal Way, WA
    Current Employee - Donor Service Representative in Federal Way, WA

I have been working at World Vision full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Work Satisfaction
    Christian atmosphere
    Decent Wage
    Wednesday Chapel
    Passionate Co-workers
    Job experience for future endeavors
    Hard work gets you promoted

Cons

The processes that we had to follow in the call-center were ridiculously strict, since I have left, I have spoken with co-workers and many of those policies have been removed. much better environment now.
    promotions seemed to be based on favoritism and not merit.

Make sure that your team leaders are held to the same standards as employees