World Vision International

Be The First To
Add Photos

World Vision International President and CEO Ken Jenkins

Ken Jenkins

WVI has a mission, the resources and talent - should be challenging themselves further

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at World Vision International full-time for more than 5 years

ProsBuidling God's kingdom, working with great people, serving beneficiaries all over the world, tackling seemingly insurmountable challenges... it does not get better.

ConsI felt World Vision could be doing so much more as a voice for the children (a mantle taken by Save the Children).

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to decide if they are a "Christian" organization (e.g., bible-based, beleives in the Great Commission, the Great Commandment, responsibility to witness), or an NGO with a Christian ethos (I think under current leadership they are rapidly moving towards the latter).

Great coworkers, working for a great cause

Global Treasury Intern (Former Employee)

I worked at World Vision International as an intern for less than a year

Pros- Coworkers were all positive, intelligent and capable people
- Very effective at what they do
- Great work environment

ConsCan't think of any off the top of my head

A Calling

I have been working at World Vision International full-time

ProsThe people are the best, and when you go home at night, you can feel like you've helped folks, even if only indirectly. The organisation has a commitment to excellence, and is not satisfied resting on its laurels, but continually seeks to improve.

ConsTries to be/do too many things. The commitment to excellence and to trying new things can also result in a lack of attention on developing what is already in place in favor of what's new. Too much reliance on everyone having a say in every decision.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive up the drive to make WV more "corporate". It didn't get to where it is because it lacked "corporate-ness". People who want to work for WV see it as a calling, and are driven. Deal with it.

Managing group works with proper plan and follow-up monitoring

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at World Vision International

ProsWorking at the world's biggest developmental international NGO gives me opportunities to learn latest/modern approaches to implement project effectively and efficiently. Moreover, I was constantly provided with the information of the community development at the international level.

ConsAlong with perpetually updated information, many things should be changed in short time at least a half year. It gives challenge to facilitate team workers to adapt new methods and take monitor constantly to meet the requirement.

Advice to Senior ManagementTaking evaluation is always good to know frontline workers' condition and get invaluable information about target community and the most suitable developmental tendency.

Excellent organization to support; mediocre organization to work for.

Director (Current Employee)

I have been working at World Vision International full-time for more than 8 years

ProsExcellent vision and work carried out in the field

ConsDifficult working condition due to the nature of the work, organization is moving toward being more "corporate like" in the past 3-4 years, management doesn't walk the talk, too bureaucratic that adversely impacts the efficiency/effectiveness, became "too big".

Advice to Senior ManagementWalk the talk, especially starting from the Core Values, in valuing the employee you have. Employee is the greatest asset World Vision has.. without their commitment and dedication, the work of World Vision cannot carry on. Keep ignoring them, and the good employees with the heart in the right place will leave.

Great place to work but lots of instability, limited potential for promotions and ineffective management.

Senior Systems Administrator (Current Employee)
Monrovia, CA

I have been working at World Vision International full-time for more than 5 years

ProsServe God in a Christian Non-Profit, wonderful staff, grass-roots org structure, lots of changes lately.

ConsDecentralized management (federated org structure), if you are mission oriented (at the expense of your own personal career and monetary compensation) then this is the right job for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue and listen to your staff. Gather feedback and 'act' on the information you collect. If great employees are being held back or down by poor low-level management, fix the root cause of the problem.

Great field staff, strong corporatization

I have been working at World Vision International full-time for more than 3 years

ProsFlexible work place and hours
Generally highly qualified staff
Competitive salaries for the sector
Field driven and predominantly staffed in the field by nationals

ConsSome senior leadership don't walk the walk
Rampant misuse of finances and excessive travel
Lack of will to implement innovative practices
Lack of clear internal career path

Great place to work

I have been working at World Vision International

ProsOpportunity to live out the Christian faith at work
Great people
Challenging environment
Service to those in need

ConsSenior Leadership team is lacking leadership
Lack of global strategy

Advice to Senior ManagementReconsider leaders in place and their commitment to serving the staff, donors, and communities.
Develop trust within the organization.

Potentially great workplace with archaic management practice & organisational culture

I have been working at World Vision International

ProsDynamic mission, passionate, dedicated and highly qualified staff

ConsAntiquated HR culture leads to burn-out, very little opportunity for advancement, old boys club in emergency division, appalling gender equity in leadership

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat staff 'as if' they are truly WV's greatest asset, take cues from leading private and public sector agencies on developing a healthy and positive and transformative internal organisational culture that will work to not only further WV's mission but serve to better the employees as well.

Good

Senior Financial Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at World Vision International

ProsGreat work-life balance and my immediate supervisor is fantastic.

ConsImpossible to get things done

Worked for World Vision International? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at World Vision International reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for World Vision International CEO Ken Jenkins. All 30 reviews posted anonymously by World Vision International employees.