World Vision International

Internship

Current Employee - Intern in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Intern in Washington, DC

I have been working at World Vision International

Pros

Great environment to work in, be pushed to learn more and expand skills. The staff is very friendly and generous to help interns learn more.

Cons

Employees are traveling often so it is hard to see people on a regular basis.

An organization with a great mission, but lacks consistency in leadership and follow through on execution of strategy.

Former Employee - Knowledge Management Specialist in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Knowledge Management Specialist in Washington, DC

I worked at World Vision International full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

A large, diverse international organization that cares about its employees and stresses work-life balance. Very flexible in allowing tele-work. Good medical and retirement benefits.

Cons

Work teams span multiple international timezones forcing meetings to occur late into the night on a regular basis. Management is not disciplined in terms of follow through with commitments to initiatives. The company is in a constant state of restructuring which makes it difficult to implement programs before priorities shift and budgets are reallocated. Salaries are below market.

Provide stronger more consistent leadership.

I had the opportunity of improving the lives of children and their community through sponsorship.

Former Employee - Systems Operator
    Former Employee - Systems Operator

I worked at World Vision International full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Working with world vision will give u the opportunity of having passion for children, they have good facilities like medical, child care, free lunch, good salary etc. promotion is at your disposal as long as you are had working.You will always acquire new knowledge and skills working with world vision as they are always improving on their system and organizing training sessions.

Cons

Their works are challenging in the sense that you are always in the rural areas working with the poor and oppress. But it was good for me because so many skills were acquired.

I think no matter the experience one may have acquired ,there is always the need to continue learning. In view of this I advise that training and adherence to work ethic should be the key to company success

Not the organization I thought it was

I worked at World Vision International full-time

Pros

This organization has an amazing mission statement and does great grass roots work around the world.

Cons

The management is not in touch with the employees and their needs and is not consistent with the values of the organization

Start living what your words are saying, be consistent with the values of the organization, people are watching you...

Highly political - issues around power/senior leadership turfs unduly determine outcomes

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at World Vision International full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible working environment - can work from home or office which is great if you have a long commute.
    Salaries and benefits on par with peer orgs.

Cons

The organization exists to service the higher end VPs or partnership leaders. If you work under a good one, then life will be easier. Most do not.
    Rampant travel often disconnected from outcomes.
    Downhill funding outlook as donors move away from the sponsorship model.
    Very little evidence of and investment in proof of impact despite being one of the largest INGOs.

Not what I thought it would be at all

Current Employee - P&C
    Current Employee - P&C

I have been working at World Vision International full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

*You can gather enough vacation time when you get laid off or quit you will have a couple paychecks covered
    *There is some departments that do impactful work

Cons

*Management-centric with a loss of the mission to help and impact children. Multiple projects with unstable funding
    *Management is dishonest in hiring candidates-upward mobility, advancement, and pay increases may be exaggerated. Ask how the project is funded, about any recent layoffs on the team, and be smart if they start to make promises. Get everything in writing.
    *Low pay, and a pension plan, and the pension will become your severance and you will lose your retirement if you are laid off-and I Have yet to meet anyone that retired from here.
    *HR has PR people that put positive reviews on here-for every negative you may notice there are three positive. A company that doesn't have something to hide wouldn't need to do this. World Vision has become about saving face, not saving lives.

Get back to the mission you're good at-helping-not entertaining USAID on the global stage.

I spent six months at WVI as an intern, and loved it.

Former Intern - PDP in Chicago, IL
    Former Intern - PDP in Chicago, IL

I worked at World Vision International as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Professional development opportunities
    Unified by beautiful, global vision
    International teams and multicultural experiences
    Commitment to values

In my six months there, I got a wonderful glimpse into a cool organizational culture.

Cons

Compensated with stipend
    "Multi-denominational" can lead to passive aggression or ecclesiological disagreements
    The size of the organization can slow down decision-making, and little tasks can get lost in the scope of work.
    Multinational work has its challenges: Skype calls at 3AM are among them!

Keep it up!

proper salary for many, great mission and nearly practises its own value

Current Employee - Global Centre
    Current Employee - Global Centre

I have been working at World Vision International full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The majority are good shepherds of donor dollars, meaning there are policies in place so we do not get caught up with the entitled technocrats of the UN (business class airfare and 4/5 star hotels). You join WV to ensure your actions are louder than your words, as it should be in the INGO world.

Cons

There policies can be great; however, the training budget for personal development always gets hit first...its a unrealised benefits lost for four years in a row now.

Let's ensure we do not forget that this was once a grassroots org...in the field, the top level management is getting a little top heavy. Like CARE, maybe a good housing cleaning is in order; done properly you can gain a lot of efficiency, not to mention leaps in efficacy.

Solid mission and good intentions, but lacks innovative, forward-thinking management and organisational culture.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Monrovia, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Monrovia, CA

I have been working at World Vision International full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Ability to align values and beliefs with a mission-driven organisation. Opportunity to gain experience in one of the world's largest humanitarian and relief organisations.

Great vacation benefits. Availability of flexible work options.

Cons

Archaic, hierarchical organisational structure stifles innovation, open communication, productivity, candid feedback and employee development/career advancement. Pair that with a lackluster organisational culture and a mostly apathetic, uninspiring management and you begin to see why ambitious, talented and passionate individuals tend to move out, not up. A lot of people sitting in a lot cubicles staring at computers "doing stuff" while a general lack of accountability and aversion to cross-department collaboration breeds inefficient and redundant practices. Oh, and forget about using (or introducing) new technologies or anything resembling a coherent enterprise-wide integrated system or project management platform. Get used to Excel, paper and Lotus Notes, seriously.

Re-work organisational structure and culture. Focus on recruiting smart, talented and driven high-potential emerging leaders who can bring a fresh perspective and innovative ideas to create real impact...and then put them to good use. Stop wasting time and energy on low performers, in fact, it's time you start doing the dirty work of talent development and fire those people to make room for more talent. Recognize and develop promising internal employees. Create a culture of open communication and genuine feedback. It's time to start leveraging the $2.8 billion dollars in donor money more effectively and efficiently, otherwise I'm afraid this organisation may get left behind in rapidly-developing industry and ever-changing global landscape.

Great for an Internship

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at World Vision International as an intern

Pros

They trusted me and allowed me to do a lot of work to gain valuable experience for my resume

Cons

They had a deficit and had very little openings for interns to transfer over into jobs

Keep doing a great job!

World Vision International Photos

Secure Environment
Pictures in the lobby from the second floor
Business Front