World Vision

Updated December 8, 2014
Updated December 8, 2014
3.3

Richard Stearns

Pros
  • Work that is making a difference around the world (in 7 reviews)

• Work-life balance is encouraged and possible (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • As a non profit they cannot match market wages, so total compensation can be a challenge (in 6 reviews)

• Very few opportunities to advance past the call center (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Company vision is on target and leaders are sound and relevant.

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Atlanta, GA

I worked at World Vision full-time (more than an year)

Pros

This is a Christian based company and devotionals are held in the office. There is a day devoted to praying where all of the employees come together and bowls of prayer requests are placed on the table. These prayers come from donors and recipients.

Cons

Compensation is a little less than mainstream. The executive team knowingly takes pay cuts when they join World Vision. If you are looking for the most money this is not the company for you but if you are looking for rewarding work you will enjoy the company.

Recognize more of your domestic workers. Let them know they matter.

Highly fulfilling, awesome and great work environment, too big, making it hard for integration and collaboration.

Current Employee - Volunteer Coordinator in Bronx, NY
    Current Employee - Volunteer Coordinator in Bronx, NY

I have been working at World Vision as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

World Vision's love for children is overwhelming. I've never had a day where I regretted working for the Organization. There are some really great people that are leaders in and out of the organization. The integration in our office is like no other! Always leave home feeling fulfilled. Also they offer great opportunities for personal growth and capacity development. World Vision knows how to take care of their own.

Cons

Sadly, because it's such a large organization, information doesn't spread out equally. At times it hinders integration between departments. Even though it's a Christian organization, it get a bit discouraging when staff don't behave as such. Lastly, sometimes there are too many strategy meetings and meetings about meetings, and it feels like nothing gets done. World Vision tends to move slow at times to make decisions.

Meet less, do more. Follow through on feedback received from staff.

World Vision is a complex Christian subculture. You will love some parts of it and be frustrated by other parts of it.

I worked at World Vision full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You meet some great people and can make some good friends outside of your team. People who leave World Vision miss the people. The organization is becoming more supportive about alternative work schedules, but it still has a long way to go. You can be open about your Christian faith. If you have a job where you get opportunities to travel to the field, you may enjoy your employment more.

Cons

World Vision is confused about its identity; is it a business or a ministry? It tries to be both, and the employer sends confusing and often conflicting messages about employee expectations and behavior to employees. Conflict generally is not dealt with in an open and constructive manner. Passive aggressiveness is practiced by many within World Vision as a highly reformed art. Some employees, including some leadership, can have an unhealthy sense of pride that they are doing God's work because they work at World Vision. The organization restructures its workforce too often. It can be difficult to get things done and is bureaucratic. The HR Department is not respected by most individuals.

Provide more than two weeks vacation to junior level employees. Seriously look at how conflict is and is not addressed within the organization. Consider spending time on conflict resolution in the New Employee Orientation. Decide who you are and then be clear to employees if you want them to act like they work in a ministry or a business.

Blend your corporate experience with your faith in God!

I worked at World Vision

Pros

Very bright and seasoned professionals, as well as a deeply Christian environment. Very dedicated to your growth as a Christian.

Cons

As a non profit they cannot match market wages, so total compensation can be a challenge. Opportunities for advancement are very limited. A great place for those who have spent years in the for profit world...a difficult place for those with little experience trying to grow.

Great Place to Work if You Want to Contribute Something Meaningful

I have been working at World Vision full-time

Pros

Work-life balance is encouraged and possible. Benefits are decent. Great place to work if you want to practice your faith at work.

Cons

I don't always love the office culture, yet it is the greatest group of people I have ever worked with, by far if that makes any sense. Sometimes the faith based aspect of things is too intense for people that are more shy. Praying with coworkers is a very constant thing, but sometimes that leads to a lot of sharing about one's personal lives, and that can be uncomfortable for some. Most departments require leading devotions at least occasionally, and so it may be very uncomfortable for people that are shy about public speaking. It doesn't always seem respected that some people express their faith in quieter, more private ways.

Great place to work

I have been working at World Vision full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Doing great work to help the least of these

Cons

Too much process and heirachy.

Stop promoting people into leadership positions that do not have good people leadership skills

Great people, transparent organization

Former Employee - Intern in Federal Way, WA
    Former Employee - Intern in Federal Way, WA

I worked at World Vision as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Tight community bonds with co-workers, widespread belief in the organization's mission a unifying theme, transparent and accessible leadership, beautiful campus, opportunities to volunteer in the community, lots of social opportunities for employees.

Cons

A bit far away from the city (Seattle) and lots of traffic, very large organization so hard to meet everyone, very few offices (expect to work in a cubicle).

Grateful for my job, my great friends, and my awesome bosses.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Federal Way, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Federal Way, WA

I have been working at World Vision full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I have made some incredible friends at work. They care deeply about me and my family. They are funny. They are kind. You will not find a group of nicer people. Middle management is smart and works hard. My boss genuinely looks after me, as well as the other managers in my department. We are like a big family.

Cons

It's a large organization, and so the usual challenges come along with that: slow to move, but powerful when moving. Like a heavyweight boxer.

They generally didn't walk the talk

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at World Vision full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They strived to remain Christian centered in the midst of some contentious social issues.

Cons

They generally failed at remaining true to their Christian ethos in the day-to-day business of their work.

Be more transparent when making difficult decisions and address people issues after downsizing. Silence is NOT golden.

Great People, Poor Policies

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at World Vision (more than an year)

Pros

The people are passionate, caring, hard-working, and very intelligent. They treat you with respect and help you in your career development. The workplace is a good mix of serious and relaxed, but very fast-paced at times. There are lots of optional events to attend and expand your knowledge into different sectors. You can develop very good relationships with all of your co-workers despite the size of the workplace. The gender equity is apparent and appreciated.

Cons

The top-down policies on homosexuality and religion are antiquated. The organization is not very innovative and adaptive. The leadership gives off a conservative and authoritarian vibe. Associates seem like they are expected to work ridiculous hours.

Adapt to the modern world with new policies on homosexuality, religion, technology, proselytizing, etc. Develop your staff enough so that people are not so overworked.