World Vision

Very fulfilling.

Advocacy (Former Employee)
Washington, DC

I worked at World Vision as an intern

ProsSenior-level employees are very eager to build into interns.

ConsI have no significant cons to list.

Challenging Job at a Fantastic non-profit

Donor Service Representative (Current Employee)
Federal Way, WA

I have been working at World Vision full-time for more than a year

ProsWork Satisfaction
Christian atmosphere
Decent Wage
Wednesday Chapel
Passionate Co-workers
Job experience for future endeavors
Hard work gets you promoted

ConsThe processes that we had to follow in the call-center were ridiculously strict, since I have left, I have spoken with co-workers and many of those policies have been removed. much better environment now.
promotions seemed to be based on favoritism and not merit.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure that your team leaders are held to the same standards as employees

It's a highly matrixed and complex org., but a positive work environment, great benefits, and highly meaningful work.

Writer II (Current Employee)

I have been working at World Vision full-time for more than 5 years

ProsMaking a difference for children in need around the world. Working with people who share your faith. Great health/PTO benefits. Pretty decent wages for it being a non-profit. Generally encouraging, positive work environment. Value of work-life balance.

ConsBelow market salaries for similar jobs in the for-profit world, but better than average for a non-profit. Promotions and advancement can seem mysteriously political.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe Professional Development plans can be a bit of a joke, depending on your manager. Would be great to have a clearer development track into management.

Great company culture; could listen to employees more

Donor Services Representative Trainee (Former Employee)
Federal Way, WA

I worked at World Vision full-time for less than a year

Pros*Christian culture is strong; daily devotionals with your team and one weekly "chapel" service

Cons*Management did not seem interested in my desire to contribute elsewhere
*Outgoing call campaigns are a huge morale drain; the general vibe given off by donors receiving these calls is mostly negative, but the donations are probably coming in at a satisfactory rate because the concept of outgoing calls doesn't seem to be going away anytime soon.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf your employee wants a shot at a different position, give them a chance. They may be happier and/or more productive at the other role.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Great Company

Senior Solutions Architect (Former Employee)
Federal Way, WA

I worked at World Vision as a contractor for more than a year

ProsNon Profit organization for a really good cause

ConsNot up to date in Technology and People are not honest about the job performance

Advice to Senior ManagementUpdate Oracle

Great company to get your feet wet in the non profit world.

Account Executive (Former Employee)

I worked at World Vision full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat co-workers, teachable environment with room for career growth.

ConsHigh pressure to reach goals, goals are sometimes unrealistic

Lacking true Christian values and integrity

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at World Vision part-time for more than 3 years

ProsTheir mission to provide help and hope to children and their communities around the world.

ConsPoor stewards of the financial resources provided to them from their donors. Poor management, if you aren't kissing someone's behind, you will be left behind. No clear defined career path available. They use every ploy available to get money from donors. Unscrupulous practices.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe managers set the tone for their employees, the CEO sets the tone for the organization. If the CEO acts elitist, then it's to be expected that his directors and other managers will have an elitist mentality also. It would be nice if Rich Sterns would say to people working there that he doesn't know once and a while. Like in the elevator.

Caring people, sometimes pulled in too many different directions

I have been working at World Vision full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThe main positives are unity of purpose, clear articulation of principles, high integrity, measured risk taking, diversified sources of income, and talented and loyal staff. A highlight of the year is the annual day of prayer at the beginning of the fiscal year.

ConsThe persistent negatives are a passive-aggressive culture, a department-level silo mentality that hampers collaboration, a pattern of slow and incremental adaptation to industry change, an increasingly stingy benefit package, and unclear career paths.

Advice to Senior ManagementLead by example in sacrificing for the common good. Require all managers to participate in "360" reviews in a format that protects reviewers against retribution.

Hit And Miss

I have been working at World Vision full-time for more than 10 years

ProsDoing great work around the world, Some truly great people, see a difference in people's lives from your daily work.

ConsOverworked and underpaid (even for non profit), management does not always show minimum value for employees (depending on the department - very hit or miss), difficult to move up.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue your people, give real incentives - not just the good feeling you get by helping others, pay people what they are worth.

Controlling, favoritism, not much room for advancement.

Call Center Employee (Current Employee)

I have been working at World Vision full-time for less than a year

ProsServe the poor in the name of Christ.
Gain basic understanding of international development.
Many friendly coworkers.
Full-time.
Benefits.

ConsExtremely controlling environment--for example, employees have been interrogated and almost fired due to technical glitches due to the archaic software/phone system. Employees have been fired for hanging up on people who were screaming and cursing at them.
Repetitive. You almost have to beg to learn new things and work on special projects.
Very few opportunities to advance past the call center. Very little desire for management to advance you.
Favoritism. (what little promotions are given are often based on favoritism, not skill level or job knowledge)Management will make up inaccurate excuses to not promote or advance agents.
Almost weekly pressure to fundraise or bring donated goods to the call center.
Constant monitoring with cameras, coaches, sign in systems, etc.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive employees more space, get rid of the rigid point system, quit with the dishonest favoritism, and be more transparent when it comes to internal issues. Employees should not have to go to Google to find out information management won't tell them.

Worked for World Vision? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at World Vision reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for World Vision CEO Richard Stearns. All 47 reviews posted anonymously by World Vision employees.