World Wide Technology

Be The First To
Add Photos

World Wide Technology CEO Jim Kavanaugh

Jim Kavanaugh

Pros
  • Excellent work life balance; balance being tilted toward life rather work(in 6 reviews)

• Company cares about the people and culture(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • The only con I can think of is that with the rapid growth the HQ in St(in 3 reviews)

Great place to work!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThey have some really fun parties/celebrations, and hire great people. Fun environment to work in, very work hard play hard atmosphere.

ConsTraining is good but not great.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing!

Absolutely the best company I have ever worked for.

Consulting Systems Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsLives and breathes company culture. Phenomenal benefits, great leadership, great pay. Remote workers have flexible schedule without micro-management. Get you job done and everyone is happy!

ConsThere are a few employees that have not bought into the culture which makes working with them challenging. 90% of the people are great to work with and really share the common vision of the executive team.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue the path. You are doing great!

Overall a good work experience until the last 3 years.

N/A (Former Employee) Maryland Heights, MO

ProsThe executive team always says that employees are their most valuable asset. That shows with great benefits, starting with the health insurance.

ConsThe "Core Values" that the executive team strives for do not mean the same thing company wide. To me, some departments use only a handful of the "Core Values" in the day to day operations of the company. Also, advancement is nearly impossible. It's not driven by what you know and how you do your job, it's based on who you know and if you party with department management. Some people get promoted based on how far they can have their nose in their bosses butt (stated very politely). Also, on occasion outside consultants have more say in how departments are run. Enough said!

Advice to Senior ManagementCore values need to mean the same along all lines of business and through departments

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Inside Sales Representative

Inside Sales Representative (Current Employee) Maryland Heights, MO

ProsAfter 6 months at World Wide Technology, employees are allowed to work from home one day a week. After a year, that number jumps to two and three days a week of telecommuting. It works out to working 2.5 days a week from home, which is, of course, half of your work week. Telecommuting is a huge perk that increases productivity, satisfaction, lowers stress and saves workers on gas money. There are employee appreciation days at least once a quarter, and there is free lunch 2-3 days per week. Also, as a single person, I only pay $25 per month for health and dental insurance combined. The perks really are great here.

ConsEmployees are underpaid and raises are extremely hard to come by. The high-salary positions (Account Managers, Systems Engineers) all have at least 10-20 years of work experience under their belts, so moving into these positions is extremely difficult for younger employees. It is a growing company, so it seems like there should be a lot of room for upward mobility, but in my experience that has not been the case. Management attempts to keep their teams intact, so horizontal movement in the company is typically the only place to move. In fairness, I am in Sales Operations, and there are many other departments that could be different.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your employees more.

Co-workers were great but management was clueless

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Maryland Heights, MO

ProsGreat benefits, very flexible and co-workers are always willing to help out

ConsManagement is very gossipy, rude and most are on power trips.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a closer look at your managers and team leads. Not everyone is leader and there are a couple managers and leads that really shouldn't be in those positions.

Top rank employer in the nation highly professional and top notch tech firm

ATC Director (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsEveryone who enters the premises lives and breaths core values

And it can be observed even the USPS, UPS, Fedex people who come in to pickup/drop mails, and those who come to clean up the building they also live and breath the core value as its written/framed on the wall across the office.

ConsKeep up pace in salary with outside companies and increase pay and benefits

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more, spending 2 hours every day in office is too much

Great company & great culture

Project Manager (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsGreat support from management to explore what's interesting to me. Great people & a lot of fun. I look forward to going everyday. Good benefits with medical/dental that hasn't gone up in 10 years.

ConsCompensation could be closer to industry standard. Need better recruiting practices. The interviews are done by panels & can be a bit daunting.

Business Operations Intern

Business Operations (Former Employee) Edwardsville, IL

Pros-Great company to work for-- they definitely care about their employees and treat them well
    -Solid company to have on a resume as a college student, and as a full-time employee
    -Work hard, play hard mentality
    -Good experience and introduction to the business world

Cons-Internship was pretty plain and didn't particularly challenge you

Advice to Senior Management-You advertise your internships as demanding, but thats not the case in every department. Do what you can to make it challenging across the board.

good place to grow

Network Engineer (Former Employee) Saint Louis, MO

Prosgreat place to grow and expand your skills. excellent benefits. people are amazing and it truly embraces and work life balance depending on the department and manager you work for.

Consas they got bigger they became just like the rest of teh big companies.

Advice to Senior Managementbring back the start up culture.

Contractor for 6 mos; permanent employee for another 19 mos

(Former Employee)

ProsBenefits, Access to the ATC, IT and HR were very helpful when I had questions, Had a great opportunity to get hands on experience with new Cisco technologies, Was allowed to grow and management had confidence in my abilities

ConsI was pigeonholed into one position and could not transfer out. They preferred to lose me as an employee than let me move on to a new challenge. I would have fared better if I did not have family obligations.

Blatant employee favoritism, pathetic compensation increase after a good review and the company posting a profit, Each business vertical is its own separate entity and if Jim K does not know your manager's name or how much profit he is bringing in your vertical will not get any corporate 'love'

No recognition. None, nada, zilch. Worked my fingers to the bone. Got recognition from the client in writing, which I showed management but received no praise or recognition from them.

Upper management does not provide any guidance to lower management. A lower manager can ask for advice/experience/thoughts/input and be told, "You have to make that decision on your own. I can't make that decision for you." Not asking for you to tell me what to do, just what your years of experience thinks about this situation.

Advice to Senior ManagementFirst and foremost - Follow your own core values

Secondly - You get awarded Best Places to Work in St Louis and you offer the employees T shirts?!? Come on; it is 2014. Get real.

Worked for World Wide Technology? Contribute to the Community!