World Wide Technology

Updated October 16, 2014
3.9

World Wide Technology CEO Jim Kavanaugh
Jim Kavanaugh

Pros
  • Excellent work life balance; balance being tilted toward life rather work (in 10 reviews)

• From the Core Values to the Passion & how each person is Embraced to showing that everyone's opinion counts (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • We are growing so fast it is hard to keep up with policies and procedures already in place (in 3 reviews)

• Also, they sell themselves as a high end professional services organization but their technical skills are very lacking (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

No employer is perfect - but WWT comes close

Current Employee - Principal Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Principal Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at World Wide Technology full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- As a top 3 reseller/integrator for the major IT vendors (Cisco, HP, EMC, NetApp, Citrix, VMWare), WWT conducts business with the largest clients (Commercial, Government and Service Provider). You get to work with all of these clients.

- The company is growing fast and there is opportunity for you to grow as well.

- Very collaborative, "do what it takes" culture. Low obstacles to progress.

- Good IT support - Mac and Windows, BYOD, lots of SaaS, fairly good single sign on, HTTP/web browser for most, responsive Service Desk, self-service options

- Competitive pay. Above average benefits with great healthcare.

- The company is involved in the community and devotes resources (time, money, access).

Cons

- Long term employees can exert some inertia at times. However, the company is generally really good at re-inventing itself.

- Very sales oriented. If you work on the Professional Services side of the house, it can seem that your only growth path is to leave PS and get into the sales side of the house.

Grow services - the ATC and ITC are star capabilities, but anything really complex requires strong Professional Services. Work on PS career paths to retain the best and brightest within PS

Oct 16, 2014Director of Human Resources

Thank you!

A company that truly believes in their core values and cares about the employees.

Former Employee - Warehouse in Edwardsville, IL
    Former Employee - Warehouse in Edwardsville, IL

I worked at World Wide Technology full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Working for a company that truly lives and breathes the core values makes this a incredible place to work, it feels like a family.

Cons

Not open to hear both sides of a story if issues occur.

Not open to hear both sides of a story if issues occur

Work Life Balance

Current Employee - Oracle Developer in Maryland Heights, MO
    Current Employee - Oracle Developer in Maryland Heights, MO

I have been working at World Wide Technology full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Work flexibility,
    Work from Home option,
    Employee friendly,
    Recognize/appreciate any good work done, motivate.
    Manager/Lead/HR Listen to employee concern and help them

Cons

So far good... I don't have any...

Outstanding Culture, Great Place to Work

Former Employee - Intern in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Intern in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at World Wide Technology as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

You are working for a company with an outstanding culture who actually practices what is preached on a daily basis. As an intern I was able to absorb so much information over two very short summers working in completely separate departments. The employees are laid back, enjoy coming to work, and are more than willing to help you when you need a hand. I liked that the company worked and played hard--a rewarding experience to say the VERY least.

Cons

Because the company is growing SO fast office space has become limited. I am not sure I would consider this a con completely though. This allowed alternating days of work from home and in office (telecommuting). Most full time employees loved the flexibility it created.

Oct 6, 2014Director of Human Resources

Thank you for your comments and I'm glad you found value in your internship with us!

Great People, Great Culture, Great Place to Work!

Current Employee - Manager in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at World Wide Technology full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I am a long time employee of WWT. While I love the work I do, I could do it in a wide variety of organizations. I have stayed with WWT for over 10 years not because of what I do, but because of who I do it with! The people within this organization are phenomenal. I work with some of the most intelligent, driven and hard working people I have ever known. No task is beneath anyone, there is no one here that acts like they are too good, or too big to get their hands dirty and get involved. There are no 'talkers', only 'doers' I feel a true sense of pride and accomplishment just about every day. An incredible sense of TEAM and PEOPLE FIRST. Leadership of this organization not only recognizes their employees, they participate in the 'doing' at every turn.

Cons

Nothing is perfect, no job or organization is perfect. WWT could do better with certain things. Their rapid growth has presented challenges when it comes to office space and other amenities. They have been slow to react to their growth in this regard. Additionally they could be more competitive with salaries with existing employees. As a long time employee, my salary growth has been slow. I feel that those that leave and come back to WWT have gotten substantial pay increases, while those that have stayed are locked into a very marginal yearly increase. I understand and agree that salary should have no tie to tenure...but seldom have I seen out of the norm increases for top performance. Salary negotiations are always a battle.

Take action on the office space within St. Louis. We have had 100+ employees in a sub-optimal work space for over two years! Buy the property and renovate or move...quit delaying. Also, if you want to stay on the Fortune GPTW, you really need to give more consideration and action to the employee requests like a cafeteria, gym, daycare, etc. These are suggested over and over again but it seems like they are 'blown off' by leadership. I have traveled and seen the amenities provided by many different organizations large and small, WWT is falling behind! Do not be so quick to scoff at these requests, they are huge difference makers! Last, take a good look at how employees are compensated year over year. Top performers often leave this company because of the 'standard' increase you provide. Managers need to be given to opportunity to provide substantial increases where necessary for top performers. The market moves much faster than your pay scale.

Oct 9, 2014Director of Human Resources

First, thanks for your 10 plus years of service working for WWT! Also, thanks for your thoughtful and constructive feedback. Growth of over 400 employees year-over-year the past several years has ... More

Great Culture, Great Company

I have been working at World Wide Technology full-time

Pros

Core value are the driving force behind our culture. Core values are not just a poster on the wall; everyone from executives on down are expected to live up to our core values. There is an Innovative, entrepreneurial work environment where people work as a team to exceed customer expectations.

Cons

40 hour weeks are NOT the norm, but it is a good kind of hurt.

Oct 3, 2014Director of Human Resources

Although it's very hard work, I'm glad you're having fun too. Thanks!

Fantastic culture of people that really want to see the company succeed.

Current Employee - Employee in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at World Wide Technology full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I love the innovative technical environment, employee-oriented and customer-oriented environment, total lack of "executives in a tower somewhere", and a company that does so much for the community. There is a general overall sense of sharing and teamwork.

Cons

Often too many people needed to make a decision causes delays in innovation. Remote employees struggle to feel part of the "corporate" side of things.

Consider a more deliberate services strategy. Better enforce remote meeting "rules", and video.

Oct 3, 2014Director of Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback.

It is a great company with very friendly working environment. And people here are very good with very well future.

Current Employee - Associate Business Analyst in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Associate Business Analyst in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at World Wide Technology full-time (less than an year)

Pros

1. Good working environment
    2. People are very friendly
    3. Good working life balance

Cons

1. salary increase base may be not that big
    2. Nothing really. For people want a comfortable place to stay, it is good.

Thank you!

This company is very innovative and also a great place to work.

Current Employee - Material Coordinator in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Material Coordinator in Austin, TX

I have been working at World Wide Technology full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

We have excellent benefits and also have telecommute days with flexible schedules. The work is very challenging and fast paced with hardly any micro management.

Cons

Lack of training and development. Different sites don't always have the same business tools to get the job done.

Please invest more in your employees with training and development opportunities that are directly related to their current position or career aspirations.

Oct 3, 2014Director of Human Resources

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and advice. Thank you also for 10+ years of service!

Office Politics will control your life.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edwardsville, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edwardsville, IL

I have been working at World Wide Technology full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Compensation is great as are the benefits. Discounts at various retailers and companies are fantastic. I enjoy my healthcare from WWT and because of that I'm hesitant to leave. Most of my co-workers are friendly and helpful and I love them like family and would do anything for them.

Cons

Office Culture is a joke. They act like they don't want anyone to feel like anyone else is better than anyone else. That's a full on lie. They no longer allow warehouse employees into the office area or office break room at all (unless you happen to be a Supervisor or Lead). However, Office employees are free to use all breaks rooms and access all areas of the warehouse and office. Office employees have a Monthly birthday Excel file and they get bagels and doughnuts bought for them. The warehouse employees gets nothing unless they involve everyone in the warehouse. There are also several incompetent people left in the office that should have been fired a long long time ago but yet they are allowed to make mistake after mistake and then even get promoted or recognized as a "Difference Maker" for doing their job. Not for actually going above or beyond their work. I used to love this company but now I hate coming into work. I feel like all I do is apply for position after position and I get the same generic email telling me that I'm not qualified but yet they are hiring people off the street that turn out to be related to someone in the office. Disappointing

Stop with the Office Politics. Hiring only your close family and friends and ignoring those that want to work and make a real difference within and for your company. Have your employees actually embrace the core values and learn them. I don't know how many people in the office can't even recite the vision, mission, and values. It's pathetic.

Sep 30, 2014Director of Human Resources

Thanks for your feedback. I'm sorry you don't feel more connected to the culture. I don't know the reason(s) for limiting access to the office areas/break areas but I will see what I can find out ... More

World Wide Technology Photos