World Wide Technology

Updated February 22, 2015
3.9

World Wide Technology CEO Jim Kavanaugh
Jim Kavanaugh

Pros
  • Excellent work life balance; balance being tilted toward life rather work (in 10 reviews)

• From the Core Values to the Passion & how each person is Embraced to showing that everyone's opinion counts (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • We are growing so fast it is hard to keep up with policies and procedures already in place (in 4 reviews)

• CORE Values not seen in practice in the IT department, rife with gossip and back biting from leadership down to lower levels (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Outstanding place, Hands down the best work experience I have had by far.

Current Employee - Network Engineer in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Network Engineer in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at World Wide Technology

Pros

Very open and family oriented work environment. As many has started there is some nepotism but in a private company of this size it is expected. You can not say that because of the nepotism you can't advance. I did fairly quickly and I'm not related.
      The company believes and lives it's core values and that spills over into your personal life. They have classes to teach the core values and help maintain the work environment.

Cons

Company is growing so fast that an opportunity for advancement will come and go very quickly so your long time goal or plan now has to be your short term and your short term is right away.

Never go public. With all the growth the company is experiencing please don't forget to stay in touch with employees outside of HQ. When I first started Dave and Jim has been to our location though it was to express their concerns. Come out and show your support, besides in emails.

Feb 24, 2015Director of Human Resources

Thanks for your review. WWT does at times hire friends and family members of our current employees but they still must be qualified and adhere to our core values (no exceptions). Thanks for the ... More

Great

I have been working at World Wide Technology

Pros

Great place to work! I started out a a temporary contracted employee and now i am a full time associate. The benefits are great. Everyone has an open door policy.

Cons

No downside to working for WWT! Best job i've had in my entire work history.

Feb 19, 2015Director of Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback!

Best Company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Maryland Heights, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Maryland Heights, MO

I have been working at World Wide Technology full-time (more than a year)

Pros

This is the best company I have ever worked for. The compensation and benefits are amazing. The culture is great and there is a good work/life balance. I enjoy the flexibility in my schedule with telecommuting. Management is interested in if you are truly happy with what you do help you grow in your profession. This is the first company that I have worked for and thought I can work here for the rest of my career.

Cons

There are very few cons. It was different getting used to the desks that we use. Most people do not have traditional cubes but there are long desk/tables with dividers to help promote collaboration. This is not necessarily a bad thing but it was different when I started. I have since learned to love it as well!

Feb 13, 2015Director of Human Resources

Thanks and good luck!

Great Place to call "work"

Current Employee - Voice Engineer in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Voice Engineer in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at World Wide Technology full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The culture is fantastic and it really resonates throughout the company. I feel like I can walk into anyone's office and ask a question without being talked down to. Medical benefits are outstanding. I love getting up and going to work each and every day.

Cons

I have found none so far.

This company is growing at an astonishing rate. Please, please, please make the culture the number one priority as we continue to grow.

Feb 9, 2015Director of Human Resources

Thank you and yes, culture is the number one priority.

over 1 year, and still drinking the coolaid!

Current Employee - Consulting Systems Engineer in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Consulting Systems Engineer in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at World Wide Technology full-time (more than a year)

Pros

My boss is AWESOME! Give good guidance, clear direction, no bs.

Cons

The entire company is surrounded by St. Louis folks. Others fly in, but the core is SL. Its not really a bad thing, but living in a high tech area sometimes is hinder-some. Have to admit, they are really good.. I think its a really good company

Some cloud service is right up our alley. Great company. Could use better work life balance.

Feb 9, 2015Director of Human Resources

Thank you! Please suggest to us (your manager, HR, executive team member) how we can help improve your work life balance situation. Thanks again.

Great People, Great Leadership, Passion, Integrity

Current Employee - Contract Administrator in Edwardsville, IL
    Current Employee - Contract Administrator in Edwardsville, IL

I have been working at World Wide Technology

Pros

A group of very smart individuals who are all passionate about doing good work, internally and externally. What I can't get over is how a company of this size is able to stick to its core values, and for over the past 25 years. This is the first job I've had that when I get up in the morning I look forward to going to, and it’s because of the people. There is room for growth and this is supported by leadership. From the top down, all I've seen since working here is integrity. The benefits are great, and from what I've been told this is something that has been consistent through the years. This company truly cares about each employee; it’s an extended family.

Cons

None that I've seen at this time

None at this time

Great company, great resources

Current Employee - Account Manager
    Current Employee - Account Manager

I have been working at World Wide Technology full-time

Pros

Dedicated engineering resources. Privately owned company means management always has an eye on the long term, not "next quarter". Company is always exploring new ideas and technology innovations to sell to customers. Work-life balance is highly valued. Good training program.

Cons

Little room for upward mobility. Sometimes can feel like an "old boys network".

Feb 5, 2015Director of Human Resources

Thanks for your feedback. What can you be doing more for your career advancement? Do you know where you want to be and what you want to do? Have you proactively talked to key people in these ... More

WWT thrives on Teamwork.

Current Employee - Supplier Coordinator in Edwardsville, IL
    Current Employee - Supplier Coordinator in Edwardsville, IL

I have been working at World Wide Technology

Pros

Teamwork gives us the edge that makes winners out of all of us.”

Cons

Don't have any cons at this time

Feb 6, 2015Director of Human Resources

Thanks!

Impressed

I have been working at World Wide Technology full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Benefits are great and compensation is fair. It's nice to see members of the executive team invested in all levels of the company. I appreciate the commitment and makes me feel like I'm working for a very stable company.

Cons

Some of the internal tools/software is outdated and I'd expect a technology company to have cutting edge resources.

Continue to invest in employees because we appreciate it.

Feb 4, 2015Director of Human Resources

Thank you!

Good - But not as good as they say

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at World Wide Technology full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

- Benefits are really good.
    - My manager is terrific
    - They at least attempt to do fun events
    - Relatively flexible schedule (I wouldn't say it's flexible but it's better than most places)
    - Corporate updates are very helpful

Cons

- Compensation is very low
    - Some employees don't seem aware of how their job affects others (really makes meeting deadlines difficult)
    - I love the casual dress code, but some people abuse it. Some people don't even look like they're here to work.
    - Too much of a social culture both in and out of the office. Lots of off-topic talking throughout the day. And an almost scary emphasis on drinking at any WWT events.
    - Too many IT issues for being an IT company.
    - Understaffed in some areas and overstaffed in others
    - Lots of preaching and bragging about the culture, but that doesn't mean they actually are that way.
    - Way too much favoritism shown towards people with connections.

It's a good place to work and there are a lot of things in place to make it even better! The benefits are nice, but simple math shows that taking a new job with a more fair salary is better even if benefits are slightly worse. Don't be cheap. When I first started, I was promised a much better salary after year 1, but then there were some changes in my department and it took me over 5 years to reach the salary that they originally indicated.

At times, I feel like I'm in high school or in a college frat considering the constant talk about drinking and the drinking at literally every corporate event.

I wish every manager was like mine. I know a lot of people have problems with their managers so I would suggest more training for them.

There is a lot of talk about how great the culture is, but you have to do more than just talk about it. All the employees need to buy in to the culture or else that culture doesn't really exist.

Keep employees on task. I have to come to the HR building a lot and I see a lot of employees constantly screwing around and nobody doing a thing about it.

Have plans and communication in place as we continue to grow.

My only other comment is that it appears that those who give negative comments are kind of blown off and nothing is done about it. There is a lot of consistency in the negative comments yet nothing has changed at WWT. The comments to the negative reviews kind of seem like you guys are saying "You just had a bad time. We're a perfect place to work."

Reading these reviews is a really good idea by WWT. Now they just need to do something about it. Fix the negatives and build on the positives. If not, then why even read the reviews?

Feb 10, 2015Director of Human Resources

Thanks for your feedback. I agree we definitely have an informal workplace but that doesn’t mean that work isn’t getting done. If people are loose and talking around the office but productivity is ... More

World Wide Technology Photos