World Wide Technology

Updated September 18, 2014
3.8

World Wide Technology CEO Jim Kavanaugh
Jim Kavanaugh

Pros
  • Excellent work life balance; balance being tilted toward life rather work (in 6 reviews)

• Company cares about the people and culture (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • The only con I can think of is that with the rapid growth the HQ in St (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

The company mission is achieved by truly following their core vales.

Current Employee - Dock Coordinator  in  Edwardsville, IL
    Current Employee - Dock Coordinator in Edwardsville, IL

I have been working at World Wide Technology full-time for less than a year

Pros

Management values your opinions and ideas. Open door policy encourages communication and cooperation.

Cons

Other than IT, Engineers, etc...employees must enter thru a temp service. Being hired on can be a long waiting process.

Sep 17, 2014Director of Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback. Our Warehouse and Logistics employees are typically hired through temporary staffing partners. The primary reason is to help manage fluctuations of business activity ... More

Review

I have been working at World Wide Technology

Pros

Relaxed environment and positive attitudes

Cons

The salary when moving positions internally is low

Sep 19, 2014Director of Human Resources

Thanks for your comments.

PC Techinican

Current Employee - PC Technician  in  Itasca, IL
    Current Employee - PC Technician in Itasca, IL

I have been working at World Wide Technology as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

great pay and help full

Cons

i have noting to say

Sep 16, 2014Director of Human Resources

Thanks for your feedback.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Best company I've ever worked for!

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at World Wide Technology full-time for more than a year

Pros

Management truly cares about the employees

Cons

Not the highest salaries, but great benefits

Keep up the good work!

Sep 12, 2014Director of Human Resources

Thank you!

A company that has developed and maintained a great culture.

I have been working at World Wide Technology full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Company focuses on its customers and how to best serve them. This has resulted in a great company that continues to grow which in turn brings in more people to help with new customers.

Cons

Continuous growth has resulted in challenges in training new people who are instantly thrust into working with new customers or in new situations.

Sep 8, 2014Director of Human Resources

Thanks for the feedback and for your 10+ years of service to WWT!

Fortune's 2014 100 Best Companies to Work For

Current Employee - Manager  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at World Wide Technology full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Amazing Culture- The people with whom I work make all the difference
    Opportunity to Grow
    Feels like I can actually make a difference
    Great Benefits
    Stable Environment
    Executive Team that is committed to all levels of the business

Cons

High Expectations of Employees which can lead to high stress
    Fast Growth, while overall a good thing, can lead to growing pains
    Inconsistency in Regions from time-to-time

Sep 8, 2014Director of Human Resources

Thank you and thanks for all your years of hard work!

Hypocrites on their "Great Culture"

I worked at World Wide Technology

Pros

Director levels and down are terrific. They seem to embrace the almost cultish culture which actually works well when they believe it and manage according to its doctrine.

Cons

VP's and up do not always practice what they preach. They don't always listen to employees without retribution, are not as humble as they obsessively and excessively continually claim to be (except for the founder), do not always maintain ethical and moral values (promoted a guy who for years lost money running an organization, cheated on his wife with a co-worker and got promoted!). More disturbing behavior: A key executive didn't shave his head at a major company event when challenged to do so for a cancer charity by a major partner CEO who donated a large financial gift. You'll also find sales leadership to be passive aggressive...so watch what you say even though they claim they want to hear opinions..they don't and in time it may cost you. Plus, many of the execs hire family members which is more reason you can't say what you think to improve the organization as you never know who has ties to whom. Maybe it is a mid-west thing which I don't understand, but it is not a healthy working environment unless you live in St. Louis and are related to someone.

Practice what you preach and hire outside of the family based on people with real and successful experience.

Sep 8, 2014Director of Human Resources

Thanks for your feedback. We are very sorry you had some experiences that were frustrating to you. Overall, we believe we have an extraordinary culture and are a great place to work. I will say ... More

Ok Place if you NEED a job

I worked at World Wide Technology full-time for more than a year

Pros

Company culture is great, if your in St. Louis. As a whole, one of the better companies to work for in the St. Louis Area.

Cons

Remote Employee's second class citizens, No vertical promotion potential, a large portion of the HQ out of St. Louis is related. the amount of family members working here is staggering many are not qualified for the jobs they do. Salary lowballed, maybe it's OK for the St. Louis area, but remote workers suffer on salary. Training can happen, depends on if your boss support it. The work is bland and uninspiring as is the salary provided for it. If your looking for a career in st. louis area, you may be in luck. beware if you work as a remote worker, your milage may vary.

Stop Treating Remote Employee's like Second Class citizens, maybe they would like a taste of the WWT culture you so constantly tout. Review the salaries you pay employees and stop lowballing them. Realize the economy in many places in the country are doing very well and prospective employee's need to be paid accordingly. Provide a detailed career path for remote employee's so they can target their own course through the organization. again, WWT is great at corporate HQ but those values stop at the Missouri border. I would not recommend this company to my contacts for employment, especially if they do not work remote. and it's quite obvious there is a massive push by HQ to increase Glassdoor ratings here why not let employees respond on their own without the HQ/HR "encouragement"

Sep 17, 2014Director of Human Resources

Thanks for your feedback. We agree, sharing our company culture on a global scale is difficult, but we are working on it every day. We have an open door policy at WWT, and we like to hear all ... More

Best company I have ever worked for!

Current Employee - PS Engineer  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - PS Engineer in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at World Wide Technology full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great opportunities, excellent work-life balance, senior management has a strategy and vision for how to really make a difference for our customers and our partners. The pay is excellent and the team I work with is the best in the industry where there are no egos and everyone learns from everyone else. I wish I was here 10 years ago!!!

Cons

More like advice: Make sure you negotiate your compensation up front because it will be more difficult once you are employed. There are no real cons because management / leadership does take great care of its employees.

Continue doing what you are doing, always communicating the strategy, vision, and mission for WWT. You guys are on the right track and are the best of the best in our industry.

Aug 15, 2014Director of Human Resources

Thank you very much for your feedback!

Analyst

Current Employee - Analyst  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Analyst in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at World Wide Technology full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Great Culture
    - Benefits: Very affordable health plans
    - Core values are truly observed and preached throughout the firm

Cons

- Not really terrible but employee training could be improved.

Worked for World Wide Technology? Contribute to the Community!