WorldFish Center Reviews

Reset
3.8
CEO

1. Good Working Environment

I have been working at WorldFish Center full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working with friendly people and beautiful environment. Flexible and provide learning opportunity.

Cons

High turnover rate causing the project handover is unclear and confusing.

Advice to Management

The future policy to upgrade national research staff to senior level, or provide opportunity to further study or education. Stagnant career opportunity will result in high turnover rate. Keeping an experienced and dedicated staff is an asset to the center. Research is a long term process.

2. Great learning experience

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Current Intern - Anonymous Intern

I have been working at WorldFish Center as an intern

Pros

I had direct exposure to senior directors, great mentoring, and a great learning experience, though that may have been specific to my position. It was a project based position and I had full responsibility for the whole project assignment to me, but bi-weekly support with my boss who adjusted the project as needed. A great work experience.

Cons

I didn't have any office space, so I worked remotely. But that was okay with me.

3. Senior Scientist - contact point for Climate Change Agriculture and Food Security Program.

Former Employee - Marine Scientist in Selsey, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Marine Scientist in Selsey, England (UK)

I worked at WorldFish Center full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some excellent colleagues, interesting work program and international scope make Worldfish a potentially fun and inspiring place to work.

Cons

The pigs have taken over this farm. The flagship (Aquatic Agricultural Systems) research program has failed spectacularly to achieve its aims in the area of poverty reduction. Huge sums of poor peoples' money are squandered on unnecessary business class flights and 5* hotels. Poor overall leadership. Senior management usually absent. Director much more interested in building personal property empire than in Worldfish and its staff. Nepotism and cronyism rampant. Total failure to translate the laudable aims (diversity, fairness etc.) of the Personnel Policy Manual into reality.

Advice to Management

Turn up for your work. Minimise time spent 'working from home'. Take an interest in you staff and talk to them. Listen to feedback.

5. Good platform to start a career in research for fresh graduates and experienced hires. HQ is at Batu Maung.

Former Contractor - Research Assistant in Ayer Itam (Malaysia)
    Former Contractor - Research Assistant in Ayer Itam (Malaysia)

I worked at WorldFish Center as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Good working environment with staff from different background and countries. The office is in a beautifully landscaped environment. Work culture is generally good although it differs from one department to the other.

Cons

Research assistant is based on a contractual basis. No job stability, although if there is adequate funding, there could be a possible career progression in research at the international level.

Advice to Management

Please invest to nurture more Malaysian researchers to the level of scientist.

RSS Feed </> Embed