WorldOne Reviews

Peter Kirk

1. Its okay

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte C H, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte C H, VA

I worked at WorldOne (more than a year)

Pros

CEOs and other upper level leaders can sometimes have a hard time empathising with front-line employees because, perhaps, they never had to work their way up through those sorts of jobs. In seeking drama and conflict, the TV show forces a leader to realise some empathy for his employees by literally putting him in their shoes

Cons

Think of the captain who is the last to leave a sinking ship, or the unwritten rule that lowest ranking Marines are first in line at the mess tent, while their commanders eat last. That kind of leadership is about an innate understanding of putting the needs of others above your own.

aaaaaaaaa
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
    aaaaaaaa

Company never kept promises

I worked at WorldOne

Pros

I can't really think of any.

Cons

Lower than appropriate salaries. Never kept promises.

Account Executive

I worked at WorldOne

Pros

Very few - I can't think of any off hand.

Cons

No career progression - old boys club. Hire mostly junior workers and then work them to the bone. Very long hour, very little pay, absolutely no career growth. While employed there, several employees had "meltdowns" from the stress, left work for 1-2 months then came back. Not worth that type of stress in comparison to salaries.

5. The band is still playing but the ship is sinking...

Former Employee - Sales in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales in New York, NY

I worked at WorldOne full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Before all the senior staff were forced out or let go it was a great environment, though getting anything remotely ethical pushed through was impossible. i.e. paying panelists for their time.

Cons

The message from management went from profits and revenue to this false altruism about saving the world by connecting doctors. Make no mistake - Peter Kirk is out to do two things: make money and collect champagne. Any notion to the contrary is completely disingenuous, and frankly pretty offensive.

Too late.

Don't Drink the Kool-Aid

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Charlotte, NC

I worked at WorldOne full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

- The Charlotte office is great. Employees are driven, smart, hard-working, friendly and generally a few years out of undergrad. The office atmosphere is very casual and always entertaining. They provide snacks on Mondays, free sodas, all-you-can-drink fancy coffee, and the occasional lunch.

- Team building events, office socials, and holiday parties are always good, with plenty of food and drink.

- The project management role is great experience. It's perfect for a recent grad who is looking to spend 2-3 years beefing up their resume. (I wouldn't suggest staying much longer as the benefits would no longer outweigh the cost.)

- Decent pay (depending on tenure), 401k match after a year of employment, competitive insurance, gym membership reimbursement (up to $5), four weeks paid vacation each year, and options for working remotely.

Cons

- Not much career advancement. Don't expect to climb the corporate ladder at WorldOne. Managers are generally not interested in training or developing talent.

- Dysfunctional review process. Most managers are not interested in the development of their employees, and therefore don't take an active interest in the review process. The process takes months, the feedback is bland and impersonal, and goals are vague and rarely measured at the next review.

- The company wants to be seen as technologically savvy, but spends more time starting jobs than it does finishing jobs. WorldOne employees, as a result, have to suffer through new upgrades, new tools, new systems, none of which have actually been tested by a functioning adult human.

- Salaries are low, and WorldOne knows it. Raises are rare, and when they do happen, they are nominal.

- Bonuses are based on an extremely small percentage of your salary, and are not directly related to your performance or effort.

- Make an effort to retain quality employees. Until then, don't be shocked when people quit.

- Listen to your employees. They may be young, but they're not stupid.

- Set more realistic financial goals. Give it the old college try!

- Change the bonus structure for teams. It's not a motivator currently since it's not predictable or even big enough to mention.

- Be proactive, but not with a reorg.

7. Always a surprise.

I have been working at WorldOne

Pros

Friendly team, hard working group of people, good benefits and opportunities for socializing and networking

Cons

Management does not seem very organized, constant changes both to people working within the organization and to company structure. They state overtime is not expected but still expect you to have work email on your phone so you can check in at all times and during busy times, completely normal to stay very late to meet deadlines that are not really feasible.

8. Account Executive

I have been working at WorldOne

Pros

The people are awesome and the atmosphere can be relaxing (sometimes)

Cons

no room for growth. overworked, under paid

9. A big vision with huge potential

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at WorldOne full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The company has transformed from frenetic to focused since its acquisition of Sermo about a year ago. The senior management distilled an admirable vision to improve healthcare globally. We are now executing on this charter and aligning our efforts toward empowering our physicians to be able to collaborate on patient cases, get paid for their insights in market research, and enjoy the camaraderie of a thriving community. We have a lot of work ahead, but the outlook is bright for the Sermo platform and its company.

Cons

While I believe the compensation is very competitive, the company is still very much run as a business. It is very thrifty with how it invests its money, but now how it invests its employees' time. Providing more tools, technology, training, and supports to enable employees' well-being, growth, productivity and success in both life as well as work would help grow the culture as much as the business.

- Don't underestimate the ROI of investing in your human capital and happiness once hired.
    - Keep focusing on the goals which matter most.
    - Keep listening.

10. Great culture and tremendous potential

Current Employee - Engineering in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Engineering in Boston, MA

I have been working at WorldOne full-time (less than a year)

Pros

People and culture are focused on success and attaining great things as a team. With a now solidified strategy of the Sermo acquisition the company has the potential to disrupt the whole market.

Cons

It took a little while after the acquisition to arrive at a comprehensive vision, but that has been attained and the direction is clear.

Continue the teamwork!

I'm glad I landed here - lots of personal ownership and accountability, little interest in bureaucracy or "cruising".

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at WorldOne full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I've only been at WorldOne a few months after spending years in start-ups. I'm really happy to have found a larger, more established company so full of energy and drive to help change the world for the better. It brings a lot of meaning to my work. My colleagues are eager, insightful, and there's a certain flatness to the company that makes me know my work is valued. "We" is the most frequently used word without it becoming hokey or cultish.

Having read some of the older reviews on here, I think what I'm experiencing is new - the result of a certain renaissance or blending of the company culture after it acquired Sermo. I've had a few conversations with the CEO - he's incredibly open-minded, and he has that reality-bending quality to him that seems to get the most out of everyone around him, including himself. The executive team certainly doesn't give any vibe of being off somewhere above the clouds.

While we work hard, coming from start-ups, I'm the one who has to adjust to a company that seems to really get work-life balance.

Cons

As with any company undergoing a cultural rebirth, there are some friction points, mostly caused by an imbalance of resources across functions, but that seems to be improving.
    From everyone I talk to, there's work to be done basically everywhere. I imagine that can frustrate people who need a lot of direction or struggle to define their contributions and road maps/ work plans.

If you're looking for career growth by way of promotions and incremental expansions to your role, it's probably not the best place to be. If you come with a defined skill set to drive your ownership of a share of the company's global mission/ vision without being an empire builder (it's too much of a matrix-style organization for that anyway), it's a great place to be.

Keep focused, be data-centric in the business cases made by people, get product-centric for scalability.
    Keep open minds and hearts, and listen for when people sound over-extended. Keep fostering teamwork.