WorldStrides

Time and Dedication are needed

Current Employee - ETS in Charlottesville, VA
    Current Employee - ETS in Charlottesville, VA

I have been working at WorldStrides full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great sales tools to help with you succeeding. Downtime is GREAT

Cons

VERY long hours during season, hard to obtain projected quota

Eh

I worked at WorldStrides full-time

Pros

likeminded coworkers who share passion for travel

Cons

low pay/raises for amount of work, not enough travel opportunities/discounts for employees which is absurd considering this company prides itself in being the leader in educational travel, no room for growth in smaller divisions that are not in Charlottesville HQ

Listen to the people who are actually doing the operational work, upgrade your software, get better health insurance plan

WorldStrides Response

Nov 24, 2014SVP of HR

WorldStrides offers a employee only trip just about every year for employees. The price is below cost for employees and they can bring a guest for just slightly over the actual cost of the trip. The ... More

Good people, but definitely in a transition phase.

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at WorldStrides full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It was great to provide students with such an amazing opportunity to see the world. I would say that the tours are definitely the best in the business.

Cons

Very challenging hours, as you need to be available for teachers in their spare time. The large majority of your time will be spent cold-calling teachers both at school and at home. It can also be a difficult sell as competitor prices are significantly lower than ours.

Make a better effort to connect the offices. The only interactions between sales teams are when sales are overlapping and there is confusion. This is obviously a growing pain and I am confident that things will improve. Also, try to make things more fun with team bonding activities and exercises before call time in order to ramp up energy on the team.

Capstone programs - Excellent training/orientation and greeted with a warm welcome from everyone.

Current Employee - Account Manager in Charlottesville, VA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Charlottesville, VA

I have been working at WorldStrides full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Excellent training/orientation and greeted with a warm welcome from everyone - very helpful and informative. The culture and values of superb. There isn't a better mission than "enriching students' lives through experiential travel" that I can think of for expanding undergraduate and graduate students' educational experience. The programs are transformational and highly beneficial to personal and educational growth. This company does travel education like no other.

Cons

There are currently no known challenges at the moment. I'm sure this will change as time with the company progresses. But so far, there seems to be a great cultural fit with space for personal growth. Fully satisfied to date.

Management team with Capstone programs is great. They're informed, personable, patient, and intelligently capable.

Awful

Former Employee - Account Manager in Charlottesville, VA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Charlottesville, VA

I worked at WorldStrides full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Nice people as co workers

Cons

Management is awful, very greedy all about how much money you can make on a sale....not about learning opportunities for students

Better work life balance

Good experience

Current Employee - Developer in Charlottesville, VA
    Current Employee - Developer in Charlottesville, VA

I have been working at WorldStrides full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Keeps you busy. Opportunity to immerse yourself in the technology you are using.

Cons

Lack of support from management. No respect of personal time.

Support your employees more and respect the fact that most have families and lives outside of work.

Tough selling, but good programs

Current Employee - ETS in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - ETS in Detroit, MI

I have been working at WorldStrides full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Work from home, good starting salary

Cons

Health insurance is good, but expensive

Let us treat this like our own business and sell to adjust our salaries.

Please don't believe the hype!!

Current Employee - Educational Travel Specialist in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Educational Travel Specialist in Richmond, VA

I have been working at WorldStrides full-time (more than an year)

Pros

17days vacation in first eyes cause trust me you will need them!

Cons

They don't tell you everything in the interview. Yeah I was told my hours were from 7:30am to 4:30pm not that I was expected to go home and make calls from 7pm to 9pm that day and 4 hours on Sunday also. Guess what your salary also, so no overtime. They will tell you about their nice commission structure but none of the ETS meet their goal for last season so they are fighting to make it this season.

Also when I went to the pantry my supervisor asked what I was doing. I said taking a break. I was told we don't get breaks get back on the phone. Oh and on Melt the phone week they had us work from 7:30am till 9pm ordered us lunch and dinner then expected us to not go out but to stay on the phones and work. I'm sorry I need a break. These longer hours took place every Monday which they never told me about in the interview. They give you a goal of 325 calls a week the they want more. Once you reach that the supervisor will come say give me 100 more and so on. Melt the phone week your goal is 500 out calls. This company may be good to travel with but to work for forget it!!! I bet they come back and talk about how high season is only 7 months long and you get 17 days vacation. By the way your pretty much told you have to use it Christmas week and New Years week cause they close the office. Yes you get Christmas Day and eve same with New Year's Day and eve but what if I don't want to use my vacation the rest of the days.

Last season in Richmond their were 10 of us ETS's as they call us but when the new season started last month only 4 were back. You do the math!

This is a telemarketing job that's it. You will be calling the same teachers at home and work every day till they get sick of hearing from you and tell you to stop. They leave what they call a grey message on their voicemail or with a secretary even tell the secretary when asked what it's about that it's a personal matter. So teachers step out of class only to hear two sentences of your spill before telling you they can't talk or not interested. I know in a days time we as a team made over 1000 calls to find only 4 teachers who showed interest. Lot of work for little reward.

Higher a night team so the hours are not so demanding. Tell your employees upfront what they are getting into.

Great Opportunity

I worked at WorldStrides full-time

Pros

-Great teammates
    -Laid back work environment
    -Casual dress code
    -Many vacation days

Cons

Difficult to be heard by upper management
    Pay level does not match the work level for several positions

Take time to listen to your employees and take steps necessary to implement the changes they are requesting.

Capstone Department is the best place to work

Former Employee - Account Support Representative in Charlottesville, VA
    Former Employee - Account Support Representative in Charlottesville, VA

I worked at WorldStrides full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Young energetic department where management knows what they're doing and works hard to make sure you have all the resources you need to succeed

Cons

The company is growing very quickly and it didn't quite seem prepared for all of the change. Also, the Capstone department just moved into a new office that is really dark

Request more lights in the operations area

WorldStrides Photos