WorldStrides Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.7
Jim Hall

Pros
  • Work from home, good starting salary (in 8 reviews)

• Everyone is so friendly, there is a great work/life balance - 17 days in your first year alone (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • There is no room for advancement or growth (in 3 reviews)

• Incompetency of upper management (in 3 reviews)

Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Account Manager in Charlottesville, VA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Charlottesville, VA

I have been working at WorldStrides full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I am so upset at reading some of the other post about WorldStrides. WorldStrides is the best place I have ever worked. The company does so much for us - last week we had a company picnic at a local country club and it was unbelievable. The holiday party we had last year was like being at an upscale event in a major city. We have happy hours on a regular basis, we seem to have all types of activities and get togethers with food. We have free coffee and sodas. There is a quarterly all staff meeting where we learn what is happening in the company. There is a company sponsored trip each year that you can go on and pay a really cheap price. There is a trip to Cancun every year for top performers. Like any workplace it is not perfect but I just don't understand all of the negativity from the other post. I know that sales is hard but these people must know what they are getting into. I work hard too - for about 8 months out of the year. In the downtime I am still working but it more than makes up for the busy times. At this point in my tenure I have over 20 days of PTO and really have a hard time even using this much time.

Cons

I have worked at places prior to WorldStrides that were average at best. WorldStrides is so much better than the average company. I wish I was paid more and got a bigger bonus but who doesn't? A lot is happening with acquisitions and growth and sometimes this makes it all seem really hectic but I would rather work at a place that is growing compared to one that is barely hanging on.

Good, Stable Company

I have been working at WorldStrides full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Company has been good to me. I have worked my way up and progressed in my career. Generally a fun and energetic place to work. Love the mission and what we do. Most people here are really nice and positive.

Cons

Really busy and a lot going on. Sometimes everything is critical. Very seasonal business cycle so things get compressed sometimes which can be stressful.

Advice to Management

Things are generally pretty good here. HR really works to have things like happy hours and other events.

Busy, inspiring, and a healthy challenge all for a great mission

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at WorldStrides full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Changing the lives of students across the country means driving home with a smile on my face. The employees, bar a very few, are positive, engaging, and a lot of fun. Management is fair and constructive. My office is always visited by many of the upper level managers. A great family atmosphere for a large midsize company.

Cons

Relaxed pace by IT to fix issues which occasionally crop up. We are supplied with free Pepsi sodas and coffee (keep us caffeinated) but I wish WS could provide healthier options with thought to wellbeing.

Advice to Management

Allow employees easier access to travel deals and tickets.

5. Customer Service Representative

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlottesville, VA

I have been working at WorldStrides full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work at home. Decent wages. Good benefites. Pretty flexible management.

Cons

It is hard to get answers from management about things that are important to you. For example sales incentives.

Advice to Management

Be more up front with your frontline employees. Example about sales incentives.

Long hours

I have been working at WorldStrides

Pros

Work from home and you can kind of plan out your days. You work hard during the season but you play harder in the summer.

Cons

Long hours. Poor work life balance. Lots of reports to send that aren't helpful. No room for a personal selling style.

Advice to Management

Stop so much micromanagement and all the reports give more time to just sell without all the mechanics!

Educational Travel Specialist

Current Employee - Educational Travel Specialist in Newport Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Educational Travel Specialist in Newport Beach, CA

I have been working at WorldStrides full-time (More than a year)

Pros

In this position, I source teachers from elementary through high school to set up a travel program at their school. It's a really fun product to sell. We work from home 95% of the time, WorldStrides pays for my internet and my cell phone, the people are friendly and loyal and for a sales team there are a lot of long-term employees. The expatiations for producing are reasonable and a large majority of the sales team hits the expatiation. In the industry we provide a premium product in student travel, so we have extra luxuries other similar companies cannot provide to teachers such as a budget for trip promotion and free vacations. The insurance benefits are excellent, long-term retirement benefits are solid.

Cons

Long turnover time to receive commission and bonuses. We get paid a draw, but the balance of our bonuses are paid 3 times a year with the biggest bonus occurring right before Christmas (which is helpful). However they will authorize other lump draws from your commission if you know it is coming to you.

Advice to Management

Provide a more comprehensive training program for new employees with more role-plays and feedback from multiple managers. More travel benefits to employees in the form of free trips or discounts on flights.

8. ets

I worked at WorldStrides

Pros

Summers off and most of the Christmas holiday

Cons

The pay structure is misleading and you can't make any money

9. Horrible HR and Managemenr practices

Former Employee - Marketing in Charlottesville, VA
    Former Employee - Marketing in Charlottesville, VA

I worked at WorldStrides

Pros

Great coworkers
    Cool product
    Nine month schedule available for certain positions
    Charlottesville is a beautiful and nice place to live

Cons

Administration is out of touch and does not value employees
    Fire employees without warning or notice
    Manage by fear

Advice to Management

Stop micromanaging and trust your employees
    Managers should be aware that they can be fired as quickly and easily as their staff

Great product to sell!

Current Employee - Educational Travel Specialist in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Educational Travel Specialist in Richmond, VA

I have been working at WorldStrides

Pros

Very detailed selling system and philosophy. they give you great tools to use and have a Recipe for Success that helps. Lots of coaching on different sales tips. I like the upper management that comes to help the office

Cons

Lots and lots of cold calling. it is tough to get teachers to speak with you and most think their school cannot afford the trips at first.

Advice to Management

Keep providing training! I have been in sales for 10 years and the tools are great but there is a LOT to know!

If You Want To Work With Some Great People - This Is The Place For You!

I have been working at WorldStrides full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fair compensation for a hard days work. Do people not know what 'Inside Sales Rep' or 'tele-sales' means? It means you sell a product via telephone from inside an office. They give you all the contact info - and yes, they expect you work hard. But you get paid fairly, they give you great catered meals during peak sales weeks, and there are other perks too - like tons of vacation time, benefits and a 401K. Sure, phone sales isn't for everyone but it's not like you have to travel all over the country banging on doors - just be prepared to work hard from the comfort of your desk and then reap the rewards. I've been here for a few years and I get tired during busy times too, but it all evens out and during the summer it's very slow and everyone gets a big break. Bottom line is WorldStrides offers a job you can believe in and feel good about at the end of the day - and the people here are fantastic. Many employees have been here for years because they know how good we have it. The staff here is fun, energetic, passionate and even generous - we have our own employee sponsored program to offer scholarships to get kids on our trips who need a little extra help. All in all I'd say the WorldStrides staff is amazing.

Cons

The flex schedule in the summer is great, but more opportunities to work from home would be welcomed, especially during the winter when the weather is bad. Most people would like to be able to work a full 8 hours rather then come in late or leave early because of bad road conditions - and it would keep the business running better too. For every one person who abused that privilege there would be 20 who would put in a very solid days work!

Advice to Management

Focus your energy on the loyal staff who work hard in ALL the departments, not only the big money makers. its the rest of us who are the building blocks of the company. Keep up the good work with the spirit team and the socials. Those events do a lot during the busy times.

RSS Feed </> Embed