WorldStrides

Jim Hall

Time and Dedication are needed

Current Employee - ETS in Charlottesville, VA
    Current Employee - ETS in Charlottesville, VA

I have been working at WorldStrides full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great sales tools to help with you succeeding. Downtime is GREAT

Cons

VERY long hours during season, hard to obtain projected quota

I thought there were laws against sweat shops?

I have been working at WorldStrides full-time

Pros

Changing the lives of students. Offered 17 paid days off first year, leave bank accrues 1 day every year up to 27 days. Gym membership. Tuition reimbursement. Standard benefits. Usually hire fun, positive people. Decent pay, long hours.

Cons

A very intense work environment. This is a hard job and not for the faint at heart. Evening hours, close minded management that is stuck on the dying form of telesales and talk tracks. From what I have been told, this job pays off in 3-5 years.

6-7 of those paid vacation days MUST be taken during the winter holiday. There's NO work life balance from January-June and August- December.

Employees are questioned and borderline threatened when they need to take off for doctor's appointments, funerals, or other personal issues during "peak" season. Employees are micromanaged to the point where the office has created a new term "psycho-managing."Managers have insisted on multiple occasions that lunch should be in 15 minute increments spent at desks. Management also tells their employees that they need to be working over ten hours of overtime (unpaid) to meet unreasonable sales goals for new reps (when you accept this position you agree to 10 hours). Management in the new Richmond location is quickly pushing hardworking people out the door.

If it weren't for the sweat shop mentality, this job would be worth it.

Learn to hold up your end of the bargain and help your team grow and be successful. Picking apart every aspect of individuals doesn't help motivate them. It is unreasonable to ask others to be flexible and grow with you if you are unwilling to show the same courtesy.

Stop having 30-60 minute meetings then hounding people about making numbers. Keep meetings to a 5-15 min max unless you are training on new material. You want productive employees? Give us an efficient and productive environment. There's no reason to have six meetings a week.

There's a reason the reviews are poor. Don't defend the poor reviews, fix the highlighted problems. Happy employees = $$$$.

Send the HR department to Richmond for awhile. The morale is terrible, and you may even make some shocking discoveries.

I was an Education Travel Specialist

Current Employee - Education Travel Specialist in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Education Travel Specialist in Boston, MA

I have been working at WorldStrides full-time (less than a year)

Pros

They paid for me to fly to Charlottesville, NC for training and they were very welcoming.
    Training was adequate for the position.

Cons

The pressure to make 75 calls (or more) per day was horribly stressful.
    Having to work evenings and calling teachers when they were at home eating dinner was also not a pleasant experience.
    I was hired (along with one other person) to work remotely from home from Massachusetts - they had never hired people in New England before us.
    They laid both of us off after 3 months - no reason given. I suspected it was because we didn't drum up enough business for them quickly enough.

Don't use people as guinea pigs.

WorldStrides Response

Feb 12, 2015SVP of HR

This is a bogus/made up post. We have never hired Education Travel Specialists in the Boston area and we have not laid off anyone. This is a sad attempt at discrediting WorldStrides.

Eh

I worked at WorldStrides full-time

Pros

likeminded coworkers who share passion for travel

Cons

low pay/raises for amount of work, not enough travel opportunities/discounts for employees which is absurd considering this company prides itself in being the leader in educational travel, no room for growth in smaller divisions that are not in Charlottesville HQ

Listen to the people who are actually doing the operational work, upgrade your software, get better health insurance plan

WorldStrides Response

Nov 24, 2014SVP of HR

WorldStrides offers a employee only trip just about every year for employees. The price is below cost for employees and they can bring a guest for just slightly over the actual cost of the trip. The ... More

Good people, but definitely in a transition phase.

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at WorldStrides full-time (more than a year)

Pros

It was great to provide students with such an amazing opportunity to see the world. I would say that the tours are definitely the best in the business.

Cons

Very challenging hours, as you need to be available for teachers in their spare time. The large majority of your time will be spent cold-calling teachers both at school and at home. It can also be a difficult sell as competitor prices are significantly lower than ours.

Make a better effort to connect the offices. The only interactions between sales teams are when sales are overlapping and there is confusion. This is obviously a growing pain and I am confident that things will improve. Also, try to make things more fun with team bonding activities and exercises before call time in order to ramp up energy on the team.

Capstone programs - Excellent training/orientation and greeted with a warm welcome from everyone.

Current Employee - Account Manager in Charlottesville, VA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Charlottesville, VA

I have been working at WorldStrides full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Excellent training/orientation and greeted with a warm welcome from everyone - very helpful and informative. The culture and values of superb. There isn't a better mission than "enriching students' lives through experiential travel" that I can think of for expanding undergraduate and graduate students' educational experience. The programs are transformational and highly beneficial to personal and educational growth. This company does travel education like no other.

Cons

There are currently no known challenges at the moment. I'm sure this will change as time with the company progresses. But so far, there seems to be a great cultural fit with space for personal growth. Fully satisfied to date.

Management team with Capstone programs is great. They're informed, personable, patient, and intelligently capable.

Awful

Former Employee - Account Manager in Charlottesville, VA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Charlottesville, VA

I worked at WorldStrides full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Nice people as co workers

Cons

Management is awful, very greedy all about how much money you can make on a sale....not about learning opportunities for students

Better work life balance

Good experience

Current Employee - Developer in Charlottesville, VA
    Current Employee - Developer in Charlottesville, VA

I have been working at WorldStrides full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Keeps you busy. Opportunity to immerse yourself in the technology you are using.

Cons

Lack of support from management. No respect of personal time.

Support your employees more and respect the fact that most have families and lives outside of work.

Tough selling, but good programs

Current Employee - ETS in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - ETS in Detroit, MI

I have been working at WorldStrides full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Work from home, good starting salary

Cons

Health insurance is good, but expensive

Let us treat this like our own business and sell to adjust our salaries.

Great Opportunity

I worked at WorldStrides full-time

Pros

-Great teammates
    -Laid back work environment
    -Casual dress code
    -Many vacation days

Cons

Difficult to be heard by upper management
    Pay level does not match the work level for several positions

Take time to listen to your employees and take steps necessary to implement the changes they are requesting.

WorldStrides Photos