Worldwide TechServices

Updated November 10, 2014
1.6

Worldwide TechServices President & CEO Dov Horowitz
Dov Horowitz

Pros
  • There is no pros to work for this company at all (in 6 reviews)

• The only pro I can think of is the flexible schedule (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Absolutely no benefits for part-time employees, which are at least 90% of the workforce (in 10 reviews)

• Was hired as a temp, but was told there was a strong opportunity to get hired full-time (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Good starting point, but you can do better!!!

I have been working at Worldwide TechServices

Pros

One of the things I like about working for this company, is how flexible my schedule is. As long as I get my calls updated properly before 10:30, I'm pretty much free to schedule them any time between 8 and 5. This is an ok job if your going to college or need to work less then 40 hrs per week.

Cons

The other people how wrote reviews here are not lying, there are some serious draw backs to working for WWTS!

First, at least 90% of their employees are part-time. You know what that means: no benefits.

Second, it is true that you have to use your own personal vehicle to run calls. I burned out the engine on my truck after a few months of working here, and I have put several thousand miles on my other car since then. They do not compensate you for wear-and-tear on your vehicle, and they will not pay you for the first 40 miles on every call. The 33 per mile they do pay will not even cover the cost to get to a location.

Finally, if your thinking about working for this company, do yourself a favor and keep looking! This is a job an entry level tech, and you could never support yourself on the $16 an hr pay (with no raises) they give you; it will all go on maintaining your vehicle.

Increase the amount of money your are paying us to run these calls, 33 cents an hour doesn't even cover the cost of going there. Also you should pay us for the whole trip, and not subtract the 40 miles!

WWTS

Current Employee - Field Service Technician in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Field Service Technician in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Worldwide TechServices full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good Pay, better if you don't mind working all hours of the nights and weekends out in the weather

Cons

bad leadership, uncaring, misleading lost focus

remember who your best assets are.

Worldwide Techservices has great employees!

Current Employee - Project Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at Worldwide TechServices full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great mid level to tech level employees. They have a heart of gold and work their guts out.

Cons

Under-capitalized company which makes it hard to deliver services to customers.

Get some outside capital infused.

Field Service Technician

Former Employee - Field Service Technician in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Field Service Technician in Dallas, TX

I worked at Worldwide TechServices full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

There are no Pros for this company

Cons

You will be worked like a dog. You will be disrespected daily. You will be promised promotions that never come to fruition. You will be asked to use your vehicle until the wheels fall off with no compensation for same. Your managers as well as their managers ONLY care about themselves. Keep looking you DO NOT want to work for WWTS!

Ebola to you all!

Job Burnout

I have been working at Worldwide TechServices part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Some of the guys are nice to work with.

Cons

Been with this company 4 years now. I couldn't understand why I couldn't sleep, was always tired, job was totally depressing. So I do a lookup on Job Burnout and The Mayo Clinic listed a bunch of symptoms to look for. I had EVERY single symptom they list. Look for yourself. Google Mayo Clinic Job Burnout and you'll see them all. Of course the managers and HR could care less if your burnt out. I found out that you never call your manager and tell him stuff like this or your screwed. They wont give you calls for a long time. There's some other guys in the same boat but man dont let it be known your having problems with this job or your totally screwed. And for no reason a manager will just call you and start in yelling. It aint worth it anymore. Course you cant get insurance to see the doctor cuz it the company health plans premiums are too high. Like 4 years ago it was ok but a bunch of good managers left and now theres some real jerks.

You guys are total cold jerks.

A Political Party

I worked at Worldwide TechServices

Pros

Driving and seeing the scenery.

Cons

This company is all politics. You either have to be real good at keeping your mouth shut, or be a yes man to make management think you won't make waves. Cause if you do you're toast. That goes down to just breathing wrong. These managers that took over are really paranoid, and they protect their turf. A waste of time and effort.

Why waste good words.

Field Tech for Dell

I have been working at Worldwide TechServices part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Steady employment for Field Tech

Cons

Low pay rate and no benefits for part-time employment

Under the Eternal Microscope

Former Employee - Field Engineer in Bakersfield, CA
    Former Employee - Field Engineer in Bakersfield, CA

I worked at Worldwide TechServices full-time (less than an year)

Pros

You can get paid to certify in hardware repair, including PCs, laptops, and printers.

Cons

An unbelievable level of micromanagement by phone app.
    You have to document *every* minute of your work day\call progress.
    If you are on a call for longer than their algorithm says the task should take, they will actually call you and require you to explain things while still in the customer's home or office.
    When you get back home, you still have to complete admin tasks (posting outbound waybill numbers, etc.) and you are NOT allowed to charge the time for them because the calls will have already been closed when you leave the call site.
    There is no prospect for raises and very few positions are full-time and even the advanced position of Field Engineer as opposed to Field Technician only pays $17.50\hr.
    You have to use your own car, the reimbursement rate is .33\mile, and you do NOT get reimbursed for all of the miles *from* the call site (the first 40 you have to eat, so if it's 35, guess what?).
    I easily racked up 250-500 miles a week in this job and lost money just for that.
    You are responsible for picking up and dropping off parts for that day's calls from FedEx and UPS sites. These sites often don't open until 10 so you can't really get going on your calls until you have the parts (instead of being able to pick up the parts and use them for calls the next day so you could start servicing the customers right away).
    RTFM - except you can't when the manufacturers of equipment you are expected to service don't allow you to access them (this applies mostly to the LCD televisions that WWTS contracts to repair)...
    While getting the certification certificates is useful, the actual training is poor, even though it comes from the OEM sites.
    I would not recommend anyone work for this company unless it undergoes a complete transformation - RUN AWAY!

A job takes as long as it takes, not as long as some consultant says it should. Start actually trusting your employees. If the calls are completed, that should be the only 'bottom line' that counts.

If you are a glutton for punishment and disrespect then this company is for you.

Current Employee - Field Service Technician
    Current Employee - Field Service Technician

I have been working at Worldwide TechServices part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Training, access to technical service manuals and manufacturer certifications.

Cons

There are so many cons that I truly do not know where to begin. The lack of respect from management is appalling and the diversity of required forms is ludicrous. There are a multitude of mistakes on the web site where you need to post your hours, receive calls and post updates. After a week of training, you are expected to know how this elaborate maze of a mangled system is supposed to work and when asking for help expect "person that hates their job" to almost point you in the right direction.

Sending the upper management into the field to see what the techs go through daily would be a good idea. Perhaps having a suggestion box (or equivalent) and actually fixing some of the problems would be nice. Also, good luck expecting the part time employees to work with a good attitude paying them the mere pittance that you do.

WWTS going downhill rapidly!!!

Former Employee - WorldWide Engineer III in Des Moines, IA
    Former Employee - WorldWide Engineer III in Des Moines, IA

I worked at Worldwide TechServices full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Very few these days. Perhaps getting training and experience in order to move on to a better position with a company that will actually appreciate their employees, not treat them like the enemy as WWTS does.

Cons

The company has gotten progressively worse both with pay and micromanaging the employees. There is no trust for the employee here. They treat everyone as if they are out to cheat the company somehow. It is a "Screw them before they screw us" type atmosphere. They treat the employee as an adversary rather than a valued asset that provides their main customer interface. I worked for this company over 15 years, through many different acquisitions/buyouts/name-changes, and have watched the deterioration of a once great company since the merger with Banctec. No pay raise for a 10 year period and the pay actually went down since the Banctec merger debacle. They want more and more out of each employee for less and less pay. The administrative overhead involved with call management is unbelievable ... from taking photos and e-mailing them in for each part serial number replaced on an apple call, to posting endless codes and updates daily to each and every call in your bucket, to multiple phone calls from management wanting you to service upset customers right away that some other area did not have the resources to handle. It leaves very little time to actually do the calls you need to get done let alone do them with great care and pleasant customer service as they should be completed. The micromanagement has progressed to the point of now tracking the employees with GPS devices in order to ensure that an employee doesn't stop by the grocery store on the way home from his last call in a company vehicle.The senior workforce is now leaving in droves (as I have done) and the company is scramling to get any warm body in the position to plug the holes. Even at that they are having trouble finding people that will stay around after finding out what they have to do for the little pay received in return. Don't walk away from this company though ...... RUN !!!

If the company is that strapped for cash, cut the pay of senior executives and upper management (if you really need to) in order to pay the people who actually make up the face of your company what they need to survive. Show the employees that you appreciate them!!!