Wunderman (New York)

Updated July 17, 2014
3.1

Wunderman (New York) Chairman and CEO Daniel Morel
Daniel Morel

Pros
  • Great people, supportive atmosphere, dedicated employees with good work ethics (in 7 reviews)

• You can have complete work/life balance here (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Most Senior management gone within months of my experience (in 7 reviews)

• Work-life balance is not a priority and there is no "overtime" for working long hours/weeks (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Overall great working experience, salaries are on the low end and if you receive a promotion, don't expect a raise.

I have been working at Wunderman (New York)

Pros

Great people, great company culture, really fun and creative environment, good career paths available for those who are able to self-manage.

Cons

Low salary base and when I received my promotion I did not receive a raise. The company seems to be able to spend a lot of money on company functions and small perks (like endless coffee, milk, cereal, chips supply) but is always on a "raise freeze". There is not a lot of mentorship offered by management. I felt most of the emphasis was placed on client-focused and creative output initiatives.

More Management should advocate for raises for their hardworking employees, especially those that receive promotions. What's a promotion without a raise? Basically just a different job title with more responsibility. Also, better attention to employee/team well-being should be paid and people in leadership roles should take more interest in being a good leader.

Create action

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Wunderman (New York) full-time for more than a year

Pros

You will work with clients that push you to your limits and force you to think and prioritize. The team of people in the office are highly creative and gifted thinkers.

Cons

It's a mess, no one is willing to step up and take responsibility. No one manages client relationships, expectations are out of whack, and business development doesn't exist. The action being created is wheels spinning faster and faster. Smart people are leaving this place at an unsustainable pace and a lot of knowledge is lost. Management seems perfectly happy with the shrinking staff given the lack of revenues. The office is exclusively dependent on one giant retainer (hint: software company) and it's shrinking fast because leadership has let the relationship go stale. No new clients are coming in because Wunderman Seattle has a deserved reputation for being expensive and slow.

Feel shame. The first step is admitting there's a problem, be open, honest and transparent about what's going on. The monthly Town Halls have become a joke since they focus on meaningless happy news and new snacks, while glossing over very obvious problems. Stop rewarding yourself with giant promotions when you tell the rest of us no raises and promotions are coming. To be honest the best thing you could do is resign and spend more time with your families because you've let the Wunderman Seattle family down.

Wunderman was a great company to intern for

Former Employee - Account Executive  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY

I worked at Wunderman (New York) as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Young, friendly environment. Location is amazingly convenient. Intern Program is very well done and I felt like I learned a significant amount about the advertising industry.

Cons

Direct marketing can get a little dry

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Positive Interning Experience

Former Employee - Account Management Intern  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Account Management Intern in New York, NY

I worked at Wunderman (New York) as an intern for less than a year

Pros

The interns are given things to do and side projects with an actual client, whether or not this be used it is still a positive learning experience. There were lectures about Advertising by VPs and we got to meet the CEO, as well as Mr. Wunderman himself.
    The program itself is well run and rewarding.

Cons

Unfortunately the client project is not a "real" project and will not be used.
    Interns are not always given real work. Some of the people seemed to be there as a career stepping stone.

It's a pretty good place to work

Current Employee - Account Supervisor  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Account Supervisor in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Wunderman (New York) full-time for more than a year

Pros

The people here are great -- everyone is nice and friendly and doesn't put up with arrogance or BS. We're all "in it together." Company also has a generous PTO calendar (and people are encouraged to use it), but that's off-set by lower salaries.

Cons

Salaries and promotions are dictated by a corporate office in London, and is based upon how the entire network is performing. So it's pretty difficult to work a 50 hour week on a regular basis and not get anything out of it (esp. when your industry peers are making far more). Morale is pretty low as a result and our attrition has been extremely high (it seems that anyone that's been here for two years is a "veteran").

Figure out a better way to retain employees. There is a cost associated with losing so many good people to time and morale.

Pretty Great Place to Work

I have been working at Wunderman (New York) full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I have worked with a few other agencies in other cities, and Wunderman by far is the best place I have worked. The people are awesome, the office is in a great location, alot of small perks. In the past I worked with much smaller agencies with smaller budgets, and not as exciting work.

Cons

I think fi you looked at lot of other companies right now, things are pretty good at Wunderman. You hear a few complaints about raises, promotions, etc. I know a lot of people who are still out of work, I am happy to have a job I really enjoy, working on challenging projects.

Good experience, for a short while. High turnover rate due to burnout.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Wunderman (New York) full-time

Pros

- Good experience, especially for young professionals
    - Good pay and vacation (paid time off)
    - A lot of fun people to work with

Cons

- Contractors not treated as well as full-time employees
    - Culture is dictated by major client
    - Low morale
    - High turnover rate
    - Long hours, burnout

Great people, dated client base

Current Employee - Account Supervisor  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Account Supervisor in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Wunderman (New York) full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

smart people. great culture. good work life balance

Cons

client base could be better.

Great people, not so good pay

Current Employee - Project Manager  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Project Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Wunderman (New York) full-time for less than a year

Pros

The people that you work with, have great personalities and fun to be around.

Cons

There are not many project managers, so you tend to work on many accounts.

Give annual pay raises

Great people, mediocre work

Current Employee - Senior Creative  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Creative in New York, NY

I have been working at Wunderman (New York) as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

A mix of talented creative people make this a good place to spend your time.

Cons

The place is run by account, seemingly, and doesn't seem to have a coherent vision of who they are or where they want to go - it is reflected in the work.

Lots of Jrs, lots of Chiefs - no one in between to offer real creative direction or to push the work to the next level.

Worked for Wunderman (New York)? Contribute to the Community!