Wyndham Vacation

Updated October 28, 2014
3.2

Wyndham Vacation President & CEO Franz S. Hanning
Franz S. Hanning

Pros
  • Great benefits, promotion opportunities, ability to work without micro management (in 16 reviews)

• Provides a sound work environment, and focus on work life balance (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management clearly plays favoritism (as long as you make them money) (in 8 reviews)

• This is a very high pressure sales situation with secrecy between the sales staff and clients (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Excellent place to grow and learn

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Wyndham Vacation

Pros

The grown opportunities are great, allot of people to learn from and new experiences. Awesome benefits.

Cons

Definitely a large company, very political and full of corporate clicks. They want you to move alot.

Some people at higher levels are extremely political, they over look great talent and performance for the suck ups. Get our of the high school popularity game and get into the professional world.

Very competitive with very high turn over, top performers are rewarded; low performers are let go

Current Employee - Community Marketing Agent in Honolulu, HI
    Current Employee - Community Marketing Agent in Honolulu, HI

I have been working at Wyndham Vacation full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Management is very helpful as their pay depends on the number tours that are booked, they are willing to offer specific training for your needs and can be very helpful. Hours are decent with shifts running from 7 am - 2 pm or 2 pm to 9 pm.

Cons

Very competitive, and very stressful. If you do not book a certain amount of tours per week you will be making less than minimum wage

Great company, great culture,

Former Employee - Front Line Sales Representative in Myrtle Beach, SC
    Former Employee - Front Line Sales Representative in Myrtle Beach, SC

I worked at Wyndham Vacation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This is such a fun company to work for. The management and people who work there are very laid back and funny. The pay can be good depending how successful you are. You really just need a few excellent months to make money. It is a industry leader with large market share. Time off is easy to get.

Cons

If you are not good, you will not make money, 100% commission. Things are constantly changing.

Frontline Sales Rep

Former Employee - Front Line Sales Representative in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Front Line Sales Representative in Nashville, TN

I worked at Wyndham Vacation full-time (less than an year)

Pros

If you don't mind high pressure sales and the corporate atmosphere this job might be for you. If you sell well, you are rewarded but the spiffs are high and the yearly perks almost impossible for frontline to get in the Nashville area. Great sales training and teamwork. Energetic upper management (when you do well).

Cons

While there is decent money in the beginning (if you sell, sell, sell) during slow seasons they collect a tally on your hourly and make your pay it back. My last paycheck should have been over $1,000 but I got NOTHING. With such a large and profitable company this is just bogus. If you have a sales slump your boss will not be kind about it. This is a very high pressure sales situation with secrecy between the sales staff and clients. They don't want you to tell the whole truth. If you have any morals or empathy this job is hard to pursue. This job is also very time consuming and you never have a planned lunch break and can often work 12 hours without eating. I actually did very well here but couldn't stay when I realized I would only be "making money" part of the year and the other half trying to keep up paying back hourly to the company.

Pay a base salary that doesn't require a payback.

Great culture, poor pay.

Former Employee - Vacation Planning Counselor in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Vacation Planning Counselor in Redmond, WA

I worked at Wyndham Vacation full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The culture is positive and amazing, if the pay would have been more I would have stayed. Positive, excited forward moving company.

Cons

Poor pay and bonus structure compared to the economy.

Look into a better bonus structure.

Has some highs but mostly lows.

Current Employee - Tour Reception in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Tour Reception in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Wyndham Vacation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Honestly, the pay isn't too bad. They do seem to pay more then other time share companies and the work hours are steady. In fact, because they understaff, you have more work to do but that means better money because of the overtime. But even the overtime comes at a price. I guess one of the big things I can say is a plus, is some of the people they get though are very nice and wonderful people. But the problem with that is, because of the micromanaging, it pushes the good ones out and you get left with the not so friendly people.

Cons

Employees are allowed to bully other employees. Even when reported, management does nothing about it. I've ended up having to file police reports just because of that. In the marketing Admin role I had, which was basically processing the tour invites that the marketers write up, and that they get paid a commission on. Well, if they don't make their quota, or whatever sets them off, they would make threats against me, even though I have no control of who shows up to tour, or if the guest has bad credit, and cannot tour, they would still get upset. Not all, but I've been threated that they will burn my house down, follow out of work and wreck my car, etc. I reported all this to management but it falls on deaf ears.

Benefits aren't all that too. Health insurance is very expensive. After you pay the premiums which can be from $50 for the cheapest insurance to over $200 for the top of the line, you still have co-pays of $40-60. That's working at least a full shift just to cover the premium and co-pay.

Because they do understaff, you have a lot more work to do then possible during an eight hour shift. It never fails once or twice a month they always get after us on the amount of overtime we have, but they don't give us the support to do our job within the 8 hours. It never fails to be there at least 10 hours on Monday's since those are our busiest days, but then other days, when it's slower and we can get done in 8 hours, they get after us to leave early to offset the overtime we have. I'm sorry, I worked that 12 hours, I'm keeping my overtime pay for it.

I've also had more vacations cancelled then kept. They will approve the time off then take it away "because of business needs". Sicne we lose our vacation hours every year and they don't roll over, it can make it hard to use them up before the end of the year.

Company values are a joke. The company value is money. Money always comes first. Guests come second and employees are last.

They don't listen anyway. They make us do quarterly survery's, which I believe are fixed. 90% of the employees I talk to, have these same issues and put them in these survery's. But then we hear how Wyndham is still a top company to work for? Something isn't adding up.

You are just a number.

Former Employee - CMA in Panama City, FL
    Former Employee - CMA in Panama City, FL

I worked at Wyndham Vacation full-time (less than an year)

Pros

They are willing to work with your schedule most of the time. Great teamwork environment.

Cons

They don't seem to care about the employees or customers for that matter. They will do anything to get people in the door. You are treated as just another number. The pay structure is also dodgy.

Please put more effort into caring for your employees. I know there are a lot but some kind of incentive would be nice.

Temporary fun.

Current Employee - Vacation Sales Advisor in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Vacation Sales Advisor in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Wyndham Vacation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fun work environment, loved my coworkers, enjoyed some ok discounts. Vacation time was pretty generous as well.

Cons

It's sales, it's not for everyone. This job was great for the first 6 months but as time went on, it became mundane. It was also stressful to have to meet these sales goals when you are cold calling (despite what they tell you) most people screen numbers that they do not know. So If you aren't talking to people its really hard to sell. You have to be okay with "bending the rules" a bit to get ahead and make a descent pay. I'd rather make an honest living. Also, there is lots of favoritism. Some employees could do whatever they wanted and not suffer any consequences. While others would be termed for the same actions. Great company but the telemarketing positions need to be brought up to speed. It is 2014, people find better vacation deals on Groupon that do not require them to view a timeshare sales presentation in order to reap the benefits. The marketing department has an ever revolving door. Beware of companies who are constantly hiring for the same positions.

There needs to be a way for customers to see the offers presented. We live in a world where everything is one click away. People arent required to give there credit card to random strangers over the phone anymore. Maybe thay will increase your sales.

Good benefits, Good People, Caring Environment

Current Employee - Gifting Coordinator in Williamsburg, VA
    Current Employee - Gifting Coordinator in Williamsburg, VA

I have been working at Wyndham Vacation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

So far, Wyndham appears to be a good, people caring company. It appears (at least) at this location they are very much a promoter from within. They have low cost, quality benefits and a good vacation policy. Management seems to be genuinely concerned with the individual family and appreciate family time. They also promote quality time.

Cons

Cons are the IT department. The company does not seem to be overly concerned with location IT support. The telecommunications are under utilized and other technological advancements are unnoticed. At times the company is trapped in the 80's and has not seemed to move forward through the wave of new technology.

You need to spend more time working out new processes. Just because it does not seem broken, it still needs to be fixed. Technology will enable you to reduce your labor cost by easing the burden in heavily laden manual processes. Your IT department needs to be more accountable and accessible. There have been numerous occurrences of long ticket wait times (2 weeks) with no real resolution.

Sacrifice everything for a shot at success. I worked for worldmark by Wyndham in Redmond WA.

I worked at Wyndham Vacation

Pros

Money, the employees are nice. The older tenured ones are in it for themselves, they will call owners and tell them not to buy from anyone else if they call. But the money is fantastic if you are successful, there are some reps that made over 30k when I was there. Overall management wants you to succeed but is not proactive in doing so. The perks are great, discount fantastic oh and the money is amazing. Short road to retirement with major sacrifices or lack of life balance.

Cons

Top reps treated like Kings and Queens, honestly they get away with so much stuff, compliance failures, lack of talk time, more vacation time than others. When you are doing well you get the best leads to help you keep your numbers high as long as you go have a few drinks with the manager or go to there parties or bars with them or even sleep with them. Yea 2013 we heard it at. Draw pay normally wouldn't suck but it takes 3 weeks after a deal to close to get paid, so 3 weeks of draw adds up then add taxes ugh. No work life balance, I have a kid at home I needed a little more flexibility. Management preaches every day to make sacrifices, family, friends and anything and to be happy with money. You can make a lot of money there but even top reps don't always seem happy.

Be more professional, stop allowing drinking on lunch breaks, create a better training and nesting program to eliminate the turnover.