Wyndham Vacation

Updated October 13, 2014
3.3

Wyndham Vacation President & CEO Franz S. Hanning
Franz S. Hanning

Pros
  • Great benefits, promotion opportunities, ability to work without micro management (in 16 reviews)

• Provides a sound work environment, and focus on work life balance (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management clearly plays favoritism (as long as you make them money) (in 8 reviews)

• and have been reported but no one is doing anything about it (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Interview experience

I have been working at Wyndham Vacation

Pros

Like the culture. People are nice.

Cons

May want to describe the whole interview process more.

The best place to work bar none!

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Wyndham Vacation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The ability to move up the ranks and the friendliness of the people!

Cons

One of the best companies to work for...i have nothing bad to say!

Keep up the good work!

Temporary fun.

Current Employee - Vacation Sales Advisor in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Vacation Sales Advisor in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Wyndham Vacation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fun work environment, loved my coworkers, enjoyed some ok discounts. Vacation time was pretty generous as well.

Cons

It's sales, it's not for everyone. This job was great for the first 6 months but as time went on, it became mundane. It was also stressful to have to meet these sales goals when you are cold calling (despite what they tell you) most people screen numbers that they do not know. So If you aren't talking to people its really hard to sell. You have to be okay with "bending the rules" a bit to get ahead and make a descent pay. I'd rather make an honest living. Also, there is lots of favoritism. Some employees could do whatever they wanted and not suffer any consequences. While others would be termed for the same actions. Great company but the telemarketing positions need to be brought up to speed. It is 2014, people find better vacation deals on Groupon that do not require them to view a timeshare sales presentation in order to reap the benefits. The marketing department has an ever revolving door. Beware of companies who are constantly hiring for the same positions.

There needs to be a way for customers to see the offers presented. We live in a world where everything is one click away. People arent required to give there credit card to random strangers over the phone anymore. Maybe thay will increase your sales.

Good benefits, Good People, Caring Environment

Current Employee - Gifting Coordinator in Williamsburg, VA
    Current Employee - Gifting Coordinator in Williamsburg, VA

I have been working at Wyndham Vacation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

So far, Wyndham appears to be a good, people caring company. It appears (at least) at this location they are very much a promoter from within. They have low cost, quality benefits and a good vacation policy. Management seems to be genuinely concerned with the individual family and appreciate family time. They also promote quality time.

Cons

Cons are the IT department. The company does not seem to be overly concerned with location IT support. The telecommunications are under utilized and other technological advancements are unnoticed. At times the company is trapped in the 80's and has not seemed to move forward through the wave of new technology.

You need to spend more time working out new processes. Just because it does not seem broken, it still needs to be fixed. Technology will enable you to reduce your labor cost by easing the burden in heavily laden manual processes. Your IT department needs to be more accountable and accessible. There have been numerous occurrences of long ticket wait times (2 weeks) with no real resolution.

Sacrifice everything for a shot at success. I worked for worldmark by Wyndham in Redmond WA.

I worked at Wyndham Vacation

Pros

Money, the employees are nice. The older tenured ones are in it for themselves, they will call owners and tell them not to buy from anyone else if they call. But the money is fantastic if you are successful, there are some reps that made over 30k when I was there. Overall management wants you to succeed but is not proactive in doing so. The perks are great, discount fantastic oh and the money is amazing. Short road to retirement with major sacrifices or lack of life balance.

Cons

Top reps treated like Kings and Queens, honestly they get away with so much stuff, compliance failures, lack of talk time, more vacation time than others. When you are doing well you get the best leads to help you keep your numbers high as long as you go have a few drinks with the manager or go to there parties or bars with them or even sleep with them. Yea 2013 we heard it at. Draw pay normally wouldn't suck but it takes 3 weeks after a deal to close to get paid, so 3 weeks of draw adds up then add taxes ugh. No work life balance, I have a kid at home I needed a little more flexibility. Management preaches every day to make sacrifices, family, friends and anything and to be happy with money. You can make a lot of money there but even top reps don't always seem happy.

Be more professional, stop allowing drinking on lunch breaks, create a better training and nesting program to eliminate the turnover.

Absolutely horrible

Former Employee - Reservations Agent in Kiawah Island, SC
    Former Employee - Reservations Agent in Kiawah Island, SC

I worked at Wyndham Vacation full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

pay, good benefits, flexible schedule

Cons

HR ignored blatant retaliation against me when I filed a complaint. I had a supervisor who treated me in a very unprofessional manner for quite some time. First, I went to the reservations manager, who did absolutely nothing. Next, I went to the general manager, who likewise did nothing. Next, I went to corporate HR and they conducted an investigation but decided not to take further action. Afterward, my general manager and reservations manager, who were both very upset that I had complained about the beloved supervisor, started writing me up at every opportunity, often times for things I didn't even do. I believe several of my coworkers participated as well by making false allegations against me. Of course, my managers weren't concerned with facts. They just wanted to punish me. I was told my by the reservation manager "when you point fingers, don't complain when fingers get pointed back at you". The write ups went on for several months until they put me on a suspension while they did an "investigation" but I knew they intended to fire me. I quit before they could. I want to mention that before this happened, I was given an excellent performance review and a raise. They would be unable to give a logical explanation for why it was only after my complaint, a complaint they both made very clear they were unhappy about, that my conduct suddenly became problematic. I am shocked and appalled that the lady from corporate HR went along with them as they did this. It was very obvious retaliation and I don't even think they made any effort to hide it.

Vacation Ownership commission sales

Former Employee - Vacation Ownership Sales in Wisconsin Dells, WI
    Former Employee - Vacation Ownership Sales in Wisconsin Dells, WI

I worked at Wyndham Vacation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Team atmosphere was fun. Training was ongoing and thorough - WYNDHAM legal department insists on proper wording in training - but local Management teaches you how to say things to IMPLY things without really saying. You need to be comfortable with telling 1/2 truths to be successful in sales here.

Cons

VERY high pressure / stressful. Worst part was how many contracts I sold and then cancelled within 5 business days.

Great work

Current Employee - Vacation Guide in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Vacation Guide in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Wyndham Vacation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay, good vacation times and good incentives

Cons

Schedule. non flexibility, no nights

Internship at Wyndham VO

Former Employee - Internal Audit Intern in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Internal Audit Intern in Orlando, FL

I worked at Wyndham Vacation as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

I met amazing and friendly staff during my Summer internship, received hands-on, real-life experience. I always felt involved and cared for. Top management performed "Round Table" experience which I found extremely valuable. Definitely will be checking back for a job. Loved it.

Cons

During internship was involved in few students projects that were outside of actual profession, sometimes felt like did not have enough time to accomplish work.

Keep being supportive, involve students in professional projects.

An entry level position where you're trained to convince everyone that they should attend a timeshare presentation.

Former Employee - Marketer in New Orleans, LA
    Former Employee - Marketer in New Orleans, LA

I worked at Wyndham Vacation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There is a great opportunity to make money right off the bat, based on how well you've been trained and how eager you are to work. The hours aren't too bad, about 35 hours a week in Marketing. Sales will vary. You have to be tenacious and willing to ask what others won't because that's where the money is hiding. Management keeps marketers invested by throwing out spiffs every so often in order to have people who succeed and people who use their competition to succeed next time.

Cons

You have to convince people to do something that they don't want to do most of the time. It's difficult to self motivate when everyone around you is a shark and wanting to beat you at getting more money than you. There's always only so much that can be done you have to be super creative in finding ways to make more money.

Where I worked, the management did everything to make money (their commission was based on our commission) but they didn't want to work for it. They often used their team against each other and it caused a lot of issues. They wanted us to be leaders but didn't teach us how. They have to get their act together or else they'll keep having to hire new people.