Wyndham Vacation

Updated October 20, 2014
3.3

Wyndham Vacation President & CEO Franz S. Hanning
Franz S. Hanning

Pros
  • Great benefits, promotion opportunities, ability to work without micro management (in 16 reviews)

• Provides a sound work environment, and focus on work life balance (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management clearly plays favoritism (as long as you make them money) (in 8 reviews)

• and have been reported but no one is doing anything about it (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Bad place to work

Former Employee - Community Marketing Agent in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Community Marketing Agent in Seattle, WA

I worked at Wyndham Vacation full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I like the people I worked with there.

Cons

You got lied to from the beginning starting with the hours they would give to you etc...

Find another job

Okay if You want to work 7 days a week

Current Employee - Telesales in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Telesales in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Wyndham Vacation full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good company, in sales you get all kinds of great perks when you hit or exceed goals. Excellent team building practicres.

Cons

They treat you like dog meat if you don't and won't 'waste their time' trying to help you succeed. They are not family friendly either. You can't take off to take your kid to a doctor's appointment and what good are benefits if you can't take the time to go to a doctor? Likewise, not enough is being done to to change the bad business practices of those in the resort, hence falling back on those in corporate.

Create flex scheduling since its commission only and many do come in voluntarily over the weekends so that parents can go to a kid's recital or to the doctor. Learn how to be respectful of middle aged employees and especially single parent families.

I'd eat out of a garbage dumpster before I'd work for Wyndham again

Former Employee - Reservations Agent in Kiawah Island, SC
    Former Employee - Reservations Agent in Kiawah Island, SC

I worked at Wyndham Vacation full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

pay, benefits, schedule, comp stays at homes and condos

Cons

I complained to corporate about the way I was being treated by a supervisor because my managers refused to do anything about it due to the fact that they liked this supervisor. My coworkers were afraid to speak against her for fear of losing their jobs so when questioned by corporate, they claimed everything was fine. I knew when I made the complaint that I would pay for it and I did. My general manager made his displeasure known. Within a month, I got the first of several write ups. Nearly all the write ups were bogus. I was accused of coming to work late when I didn't. I was accused of discussing a confidential meeting, which I didn't. I was accused of being on Facebook when I wasn't. I was even written up for taking too many bathroom breaks. Someone actually documented each and every time I went to the bathroom. At one point, I was given a "final warning" and told that my next write up would result in my termination. Sure enough, the next write up did come and they put me on suspension pending the outcome of an investigation. I knew my termination was inevitable and my general manager was only doing this to hide the fact that he was punishing me for my complaint. In hindsight, I should have allowed them to terminate me but I resigned that same day. It is worth noting that I had been with the company for eight years and had a near perfect attendance record and never been in trouble until my complaint. In fact, less than two months before I complained, I was given a raise and excellent performance review. Corporate HR should have seen something suspicious about the timing of all the write ups and I am disturbed that they didn't. It was very blatant retaliation

Don't allow managers to retaliate against employees

I hated this job.

Former Employee - Vacation Planning Counselor in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Vacation Planning Counselor in Orlando, FL

I worked at Wyndham Vacation full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Some of the supervisors were decent.

Cons

Hard to be consistent week to week. Noisy, pep rally atmosphere, customers on phone usually extremely combative and rude.

Fix your timeshare product before continually trying to sell more to owner base. Funny thing about this business is that they train you to give high customer service and to be respectful but then when you are performing the job thet tell you that 'buyers are liars' and want you to be so aggressive on the phone that people hang-up on you!

Management get's all the Perks, while Associates do all the work.

Former Employee - Marketing in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Marketing in Orlando, FL

I worked at Wyndham Vacation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Nice building and perks (gym, cafeteria, nurse, starbucks, etc...) and I enjoyed casual days of summer and winter.
    Did take on a lot of responsibility and grew professionally that did help me move up in my career, sadly outside the company.
    Compensation is above average
    Would recommend to anyone who is a manager and a above.

Cons

NO opportunities for advancement in my business unit. Poorly structured, no clear career roadmap.
    Was there for two years and went through four department restructures where I watched Managers and Directors get more development opportunities and promotions then associates.
    Poor management that loves to micro-manage and take credit for work that wasn't theres.
    Vacation time is terrible if your not in Management. Managers, Directors, VP, etc... all earn more then associates.

Phase out the old school leadership. There is a lot of good new leadership but I think it's time to phase out the old school Fairwinds employees. All they think about is how it was done back in the day...
    Keep employees engaged and show them a career roadmap, and expectations of what it will take to get to the next step in their career.

Awesome company to work for

I worked at Wyndham Vacation

Pros

Team focused environment, work-life balance

Cons

Challenges facing the organization's restructuring

Traveling Desktop Support Technician

Former Employee - Migration Representative in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Migration Representative in Redmond, WA

I worked at Wyndham Vacation as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

I loved traveling and staying at the resorts and meeting new people.

Cons

I cant think of any.

Excellent training.

Vacation Planning Counselor

Current Employee - Vacation Planning Counselor
    Current Employee - Vacation Planning Counselor

I have been working at Wyndham Vacation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great benefits, supportive management team, personal growth, advancement opportunities. They genuinely want you to succeed and typically go above and beyond to help you reach your goals.

Cons

Call center culture can create competition and favoritism among employees and management. Working in a call center is not all that great anywhere, though.

It was ok, had to leave for another job.

I worked at Wyndham Vacation part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The attitude about the job is what makes it stand out. People are super enthusiastic.

Cons

Sales goals must be met, or you will be coached. No one wants you to make $8 an hour which is what you make when you have no sales. Downside is waiting to get a hold of people and when you do they hang up or don't listen.

Closer

Former Employee - Closer
    Former Employee - Closer

I worked at Wyndham Vacation full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Company overall has good company values

Cons

Management in certain departments has their political clicks

Pay closer attention to your employees personal needs