WyzAnt

Updated December 15, 2014
Updated December 15, 2014
3.5

Andrew Geant

Pros
  • WyzAnt provides a great way for students and tutors to find each other (in 5 reviews)

• Site makes it simple to find work by sending email notifications and it is set up in a user-friendly way (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • They take 40% of pay when you start (in 10 reviews)

• You can't increase your commission without logging A LOT of hours (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

I am greatly enjoying my tutoring success with WyzAnt !

Current Employee - Academic Tutor in Newnan, GA
    Current Employee - Academic Tutor in Newnan, GA

I have been working at WyzAnt

Pros

The direct deposits are submitted in a timely manner eliminating the need to remind clients about payments due or overdue.

Cons

I have no cons to report at this time.

Endlessly flexible

Current Employee - Tutor in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Tutor in Seattle, WA

I have been working at WyzAnt part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I have loved working for Wyzant so far. I get to set my own rate and set my own hours. I have had it as a side job in addition to being a student and it has been great. I will likely continue to work for them even after I graduate since I genuinely enjoy teaching. All in all, it doesn't really get any better than being able to set my own rate and my own schedule.

Cons

The percentage of commission they take off my pay can seem fairly high until you tutor for enough hours.

Wyzant apps for better response time for students.

Great for a second income stream. You do the tutoring; Wyzant takes care of the business end.

Current Employee - Writing Tutor and Coach in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Writing Tutor and Coach in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at WyzAnt part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Easy to find clients
    Efficient systems for billing, payment, scheduling, lead generation, etc, take the hassle out of tutoring
    Free individualized marketing materials.
    Charges only 5% for clients that tutor brings into the system
    Great solution for a full time tutor who wants a ready made back office platform

Cons

Company takes a big chunk at first (40%) but on the plus side: (1) They provide significant value. (2) The percentage declines over time. (2) The charge is only 5% for clients that the tutor brings in. (3) Tutors set their own hourly rate.

Math tutor

I worked at WyzAnt part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Wyzant makes it very easy to find new students

Cons

They take 40% of pay when you start

Better than other tutoring work sources

Current Employee - Tutor in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Tutor in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at WyzAnt part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I work for a number of tutoring companies. Some of them are "real people" who match prospective students to recommended tutors... they generally charge the students a minimum of $60 per hour, and pay the tutor a maximum of $20 per hour... and that rate never changes. At Wyzant, I started at 60% of whatever rate I charge, and have now tutored for 200 hours, so my next hour will net me 75% of my rate. Some of those 200 hours have been at cut-rates for people who couldn't afford my rates (great flexibility), and some of them have been at 85% of my rate (people I brought to Wyzant for the convenience of not having to ask for money in person). Just be sure never to fail a test or you will never be allowed to tutor in that subject!

Cons

I'm not quite sure why many of the jobs I apply for don't end up in my resume.

You will get students, but the commission rates are insane!

Current Employee - Private Tutor in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Private Tutor in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at WyzAnt as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

The site is pretty highly trafficked, so you will likely get students quickly assuming you posted a complete profile, with a picture, etc. The "exams" they give you for different subjects are generally pretty easy to pass assuming you know what you are doing, and I have found them more reasonable than other tutoring site's examinations. They make creating a profile and even making referral fliers and links easy.

If you are lucky enough to be in a computer science field as I am and live in an urban area, the number of students who request your help around the "busy seasons" (usually late October through December, and April-early June) can be so high, if you are doing this part time as a side job, you may find yourself turning away work.

Cons

40% commission for a simply website that markets you is insane, and anyone who thinks otherwise has either not been tutoring long, or is just a sucker. I worked professionally for an in-office tutoring center a few years ago, and she took roughly 40% AND took care of things that Wyzant doesn't/can't, such as a secure quiet building to teach in, vetting student backgrounds more thoroughly for security, etc. Wyzant makes a point of trying to make the tutor jump through lots of hoops, but virtually any student can subscribe and ask for help with no security checks. You find yourself asking quite often what they are doing to "earn" their commission cut, given all they do is keep a website up with your profile after you pass the exams, and not all subjects have exams at all.

You can't increase your commission without logging A LOT of hours...it takes 400 hours to have them only take a %20 cut, which is a far more reasonable rate. You will have to set your rates so high to afford the commission cut, it can impact your business, especially for more popular subjects like English and basic math/sciences. I would much rather pay them a monthly fee (say $50) and collect cash directly from my students. Keep in mind that a student MUST register a credit card before they can set a date for you. This is to protect Wyzant, not YOU! They will filter any personal information such as phone numbers from your emails between students until they do, again to protect THEIR CUT, NOT YOU! There are many students who need help who may want to pay cash. Would it be that hard to allow Wyzant to have the tutor pay them the difference after the fact?

If you want the best tutors, you need to treat them better! Work out different payment structures to allow more flexibility. Many of us tutors want to pay you, but we want flexibility as to how. 40% commission for a simple website is unreasonable, and you shouldn't need to be told that honestly. You will lose your most valued tutors by keeping it this way without providing other options!

Very fair system and positive experience as a tutor

Current Employee - Math and Science Tutor in Englishtown, NJ
    Current Employee - Math and Science Tutor in Englishtown, NJ

I have been working at WyzAnt part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Wyzant has a very large client database, so finding potential students is very easy. Wyzant will help you create an attractive profile page, and email you with local job listings in your area immediately. Then, Wyzant does all the marketing for you! It is better than searching on Craigslist for students, which is much less organized and legitimate. The commission that Wyzant takes from your tutoring fee is fairly appropriate with the ease and organization that they do to ensure the recruitment and payment transactions operate smoothly. For instance, you can see when a student has uploaded payment information, so you can guarantee that when you meet with that student, you will DEFINITELY get paid (whereas, you can't guarantee that someone you meet externally will arrive to a session with a check in hand).

Also, you have a lot of flexibility as a tutor. You can determine your own hours, payment options, and radius of travel. You can even log your miles traveled, so when you file your taxes, you can make appropriate deductions. Wyzant has a highly organized system that makes tutoring a very simple process. I would recommend very strongly to tutors and students looking for extra income or help. I have been with Wyzant for less than a year and have already earned A LOT!

Cons

Wyzant takes 40% of the tutoring fee that you post, and in order to increase your earnings, you must work more hours. After you log 20 hours, they will take 35%. After 50 hours, they take 30% and with increasing increments of hours, you keep more money. At some point, you max out and can only keep 80% of what you charge. This isn't really a con- this is fair and serves as motivation to work more so you can earn more! But many people see this as a con.

Advertise more! I found out about Wyzant in a magazine, and have never seen any local ads or mentions of it since that day. This site is great and should be advertised in teen magazines, parent magazines, and all over different schools!

Absolutely horrific, unreliable and bad experience with this company

I worked at WyzAnt

Pros

Nothing but stress and dissatisfaction

Cons

Wyzant is an absolute joke. Tutors, go elsewhere where you will be respected and treated like a human being. Students, go elsewhere where you can get a reasonable lesson rate without a bloodsucking company down your throat.

The students who I found through Wyzant were shady and unreliable. I had three sessions with one of my Wyzant students. I have yet to receive payment for the third session (as of 3 weeks later) and Wyzant has been unhelpful. The payment still reads "pending" and the mother is ignoring my multiple texts, calls and messages.

I had an excellent first lesson with another one of my new students and her mother welcomed me back for further lessons. As I was leaving, she first threatened me saying that I would be fired from Wyzant for taking outside payments and then offered to pay me in cash. I declined, stating that I prefer to go through the website and she agreed that this was fine. She then left me 1 star feedback (the lowest).

I messaged her, no response. I called her and she answered, then abruptly hung up after I introduced myself and she realized who it was. Wyzant has again been unhelpful. They will only remove the negative feedback if I void the lesson and decline payment. Ridiculous policy that makes zero sense.

I WAS a valued tutor on Wyzant with multiple clients but now I refuse to give them any more of my business. Please do not support this underhanded and unreliable company.

WyzAnt's greed with regard to commisions negatively impacts both students and tutors.

Current Employee - Spanish Tutor in Manassas, VA
    Current Employee - Spanish Tutor in Manassas, VA

I have been working at WyzAnt part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Wyzant connects tutors with skills and experience with students needing individualized and personal instruction in a wide range of topics.

Cons

Althought the tutors do the work, Wyzant is like a leech sucking nearly half of the tutor fees for themselves. This is a serious negative for the students because it forces the tutor to charge a higher than feasible rate just to compensate for Wyzant's exorbitant commision and to be able to make a very tiny profit after paying for fuel and other expenses. Many of the students I assisted are high school students whose parents earn average salaries and work hard for a living. I wanted to offer the parents of that student a more reasonable rate because I knew their daughter needed help over a long period and at the rate Wyzant is charging, it was hard on their budget. The rate that Wyzant was charging the parents was 25 dollars per hour but after Wyzant skimmed off 40 percent, I was left with 15 dollars for one hour. Add to that the cost of fuel to get to the student's location and I ended up making less than mimimum wage. Due to Wyzant's excessive commision, I can't even offer the parent's of the student a rate that will fit their budget.

If WyzAnt expects to attract and maintain quality tutors with experience, they need to realize that the tutors are the ones who do the work. If you don't treat the tutors with respect for the experience and skills they have to offer and compensate them adequately, they inevitably will walk, and then you are left with the most inexperienced and unskilled because they are the only ones who would accept the poor compensation that you offer. You get what you pay for and unfortunately, your customers are the ones who suffer.

Tutoring for Wyzant

Current Employee - Tutor
    Current Employee - Tutor

I have been working at WyzAnt as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Well I like the way it provides flexibility in determining one's salary, location, the classes one teaches, one's schedule, and how one goes about teaching.

Cons

Well, one has to know a lot, be fairly smart, and be willing to drive around a lot, and not accumulate a lot of money.

Think they are doing well. Could add some more advanced, college-level course teaching opportunities.