X-IO

Not yet rated.

Ken Hendrickson

Smart people

I worked at X-IO full-time

ProsThere are a lot of smart people at the company but, with smart people, there were also quite a few differences of opinion among staff. Normally this would be a negative but it often involved some really cool (and at times heated) discussions. The end result was often a much better product.

ConsThe future of the company seems a bit hazy.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember to listen to the customers and, just because something is cool, doesn't mean it will necessarily sell.

Making an impact.

Systems Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at X-IO full-time for more than a year

ProsX-IO is full of extremely talented and hard working individuals who believe in their products and want to positively impact their customers.

ConsName Recognition. X-IO has struggled to pin down their identity but with the recent evolution of the marketing team you can expect this to quickly change.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to hire smart people and give them the resources to execute.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

account exec

I worked at X-IO

ProsThere are some truly good, talented people who want to make a difference but cannot because of management.

Consi would concur with what most have said, there has been talk of change, and lots of action with little to no results. Pay is going down, no true support. You are on your own.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire managers, people who know people and can motivate others, not tear them down.

schizophrenic

Sales (Former Employee)
Eden Prairie, MN

I worked at X-IO

Prosvery much on your own, if you like that. lots of freedom, heavy emphasis on selling each month. great product, and the engineers have great passion for their technology.

Consit is run by the investors. has lost money for years, and they are running out of patience. the market place sees Xiotech (XIO Storage) as yanking itself around all the time, never focusing on what works, just chasing the dollars. in 2010-2011 they got rid of most of the employees, and the service department went completely downhill. Got rid of the Magnitude product, which was the bread and butter (much better than Compellant ever was!). In it's place is a very fast, performance storage array, called the ISE, which few companies really need. If you think of XIO Storage as a startup, it might help understand what they are doing.

Advice to Senior ManagementI believe they realize they are only selling one product, to a very small market. The ISE technology is great, however, it's not what people want. Hopefully things have gotten better. Used to be an awesome place to work. Resellers are actively replacing Xiotech gear with other storage vendors' products.

I've learned a lot from a lot of very smart engineers

Principal Engineer (Current Employee)
Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at X-IO

ProsThe engineering talent at Xiotech is incredible. I've learned more working there than at any previous company. Some of the technology we've come up with is amazingly advanced for a company of our size.

ConsIn Xiotech, like many companies of it's small size and engineering background, middle and much senior management is made up of engineers that were promoted. This has caused the problems you typically see when this happens, a lack of communications from management and management being too involved in making low level engineering decisions.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou've got a lot of smart people working for you so communicate high level goals to them and then let them do their jobs!

Lukewarm

Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at X-IO

ProsFlexible Schedule, work/life balance is very good.
Technology is very interesting and challenging.
Good group of competent people, friendly atmosphere.
Not afraid of innovation or fixing what isn't working.
Very open with employees about current business status.

ConsManagement has been very bad in the past, starting to come around.
Startup mode forever. No raises, no reviews, no career advancement. Layoffs have been brutal (although where hasn't it been).
Seems to be a glass ceiling there. The same group of people get all the promotions, recognition and compensation while the rest are in the pit crew regardless of contribution.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed some morale improvement.
Less favoritism for the old guard.
Show some love to the sneeches without stars for a change.

Troubled company looking for second wind.

Director (Current Employee)
Eden Prairie, MN

I have been working at X-IO

ProsThe employees of Xiotech are outstanding individuals.

ConsUpper management has had instability that has caused repeated changes in direction. Communication from upper management limited.

Advice to Senior ManagementCurrent management seems to have a strong direction. Communicate to the employees taht direction and empower them to assist you.

Sr system engineer

I worked at X-IO full-time

ProsA lot of knowledge in current staff

ConsUnstable company. Layoff every other year or so.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to those in the trenches

Some Good People, Good Pay but your on an island

Sales (Current Employee)

I have been working at X-IO

ProsGood Pay, the company has a good niche that they are trying to cut out for themselves. They have some loyal customers. Employees are able to influence change.

ConsPoor customer service with very few support people in the field. No communication at all to the field and inability to make decisions at mid level. Lots of "no we can't". Lots of lost people to other competitors.

Advice to Senior ManagementLots of communication is the key and making decisions quickly and not having to go to the CEO/CFO for a decision. More focus on customer service.

Slow to start but upside is tremendous

Account Executive (Current Employee)

I have been working at X-IO

ProsXiotech has some incredible technology and tremendous upside.

ConsA lot of long tenured individuals with narrow band of experience. Marketing and focus are erratic. The company, even though over 15 years old, is still very immature when it comes to process, procedures, training, field readiness, communication and such.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more realistic and conservative. Do what your best at and fill in the gaps with industry veterans, not just "locals". Communication, training, and an overabundance of marketing would be first on my list.

Worked for X-IO? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at X-IO reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for X-IO CEO Ken Hendrickson. All 13 reviews posted anonymously by X-IO employees.