XAP

Updated Jul 14, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Peter Knepper

A company that cares about serving their customers

(Current Employee) Culver City, CA

ProsThere is a strong focus on understanding customer needs.
    There are opportunities for professional growth, learning new skills, moving up in the ranks.
    Management is open to trying new ideas and innovating.
    People are recognized for their contributions.
    Compensation is very fair.
    There is a good work/life balance.
    This is a fun place to work. People work hard and play hard.

ConsIt's a great place to work. Sometimes the workload feels overwhelming, because XAP is growing quickly, but other staff are always willing to jump in and get things done.

Run the while you still can!

Software Developer (Former Employee) Culver City, CA

ProsOne Week holiday at the end of the year.

ConsOh god where do I begin.
    People are praised based on how well they are liked in the company, another words if you are a brown noser then you will get far.
    I don't know of anyone giving this company a 5 star review so that should tell you everything.
    I could write so much more but it would be a waste of time.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop giving yourselves raises and actually work for a change. Typing on a keyboard is not work fix real issues with the company and the clients.
    Listen to employees rather than managers so you know what is the hard cold truth rather than someone putting a spin to it.
    Advice to the owners not the management: Fire every last one of the executives bring new people who actually have worked and have experience in software.

Frustrating Place To Work

ProsThe workers that actually perform their duties. They are usually hardworking individuals who are friendly.

ConsManagement is disconnected with their employees. Complaints about things that prevent you from doing your job goes nowhere. Their "answer" for those roadblocks are pretty much "you can only change yourself" as opposed to actually taking the time to remedy the situation.

Skill level of most individuals are not up to par with industry.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdvice to CEO: Listen to all of Xap employees, not just your management. Management seems to always sprinkle sugar on the situation to cover up all the shortcomings. There is a reason morale is at an all-time low and why people are quitting at an alarming-rate.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A Group of Decent People With No Direction

Client Services Manager (Former Employee) Culver City, CA

ProsThere was a really talented group of people working at Xap at the time. Some seemed willing to work given a positive environment.

I had just come from a job where I always took work home with me. At Xap, this was not the case. I don't know if this speaks well of the company or not.

This work experience really helped me determine what direction I wanted to take with my life. In other words, I realized I was miserable working for a group of people that did not care about their employees and rather try to do something for myself, win or fail.

ConsUnfortunately, most folks seemed to have no guidance or directions besides general company "goals". Many promises made were not kept, including bonus delivery. Not sure if any of the same people are there now, many "favorites" were played, a lot of bullying.

Seemed like no room for upward growth unless you spent years with company. I've worked for better companies that fostered my talents and were willing to promote me within the first year. this was not going to happen here.

Very negative managerial experience. My manager used issues I raised (i.e. I have an issue about this and told them months ahead to help me work it out, which they refused to do) to downgrade me on my bonus review and also used an ADA issue as something I should improve. I still got my full bonus, but there was no understanding about health or DA issues.

Advice to Senior ManagementHope things are doing well with new management. Please take better care of employees and treat them with respect.

Company goal yes. Company plan no.

Director (Former Employee) Culver City, CA

ProsManagement latitude - you had relative freedom on hours and generally social corporate culture.

ConsLacking management direction, focus, and resources. Trying to do things non-revenue generating. Integration with Bridges still a prevalent problem with no end solution.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhat is XAP doing now? Haven't heard much of the company since I left.

Out dated process in SDLC

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood people to work with,

ConsThe process to develop software need to be revised, and management is fixed on ways of creating software and their deployments. Pay is very low. Politics play a role in the office

Advice to Senior ManagementXap needs to incorporate CI tools (Hudson, Jenkins), and to use automation to do regression tests

Xap's management and staff lack understanding for technology, insecure staff!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Culver City, CA

ProsIf you like to work with some serious, low IQ goofballs, this is the place.

Most of the people seem to work their just to have a pay-check - a low pay-check.

ConsXap's management lack proper education and experience to make the company become successful. People come from various backgrounds, Selling CocaCola to Cars with no proper education... The staff are extremely insecure. .

Advice to Senior ManagementProbably your competitor will eat you soon!

Tough

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Culver City, CA

ProsBecause it's a small company, you actually work for TriNet and all benefits are provided by them, which are generally very good.

ConsLack of investment in technical resources and design. Lack of structure and disorganization. No room for career advancement in most positions.

Products have great potential to make a social impact, the executive team lacks the skills to lead successfully

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Culver City, CA

ProsThe work is very rewarding and the people you work with for the most part are young and great to deal with on a day-to-day basis.

ConsThe leadership is myopic, poorly prepared to lead and is more often reactive than proactive

Advice to Senior ManagementTime to hire a new CEO and start over or move down to Southern California and do the real work necessary to make this company everything it is supposed to be!

Admirable mission: Provide tools and information to help people choose a rewarding career and a college/university.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Culver City, CA

ProsA large percentage of the employees are kind, interesting, engaging, smart people of good character. Your role will not be limited to the "traditional" tasks associated with your job title - you will have the opportunity (necessity) to reach beyond those and contribute in other areas also.

ConsYou will not be rewarded or even acknowleged for exceptional performance. Management has been in total chaos for at least 5 years and remains so today. They do not have a plan - nor do they communicate decisions effectively to employees. There is no accountability at the Executive level - instead, their responsibilities are pushed down to the middle managers without commensurate authority to make decisions or produce outcomes. Getting a policy decision that is comprehensible is impossible. Senior Management will not remove barriers to progress, nor attend to the fundamentals necessary to enable middle and lower level employees to achieve good outcomes. Management will violate your trust, as was done with the December 2009 and June 2010 bonuses, which were not paid - and there was no communication of this intent by management until they were already overdue. The executive team simply does not respect employees, nor any contract that is signed. Getting management to deliver what has been promised in a contract with a customer is nearly impossible, so you will always be stuck between an exasperated and hostile customer and an incompetent, irresponsible Executive.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind a new vocation. Your inexperience, cronyism, inadequate self-discipline, failure to plan, and woefully inadequate idea of what communication is have destroyed what could be a fantastic organization and an admirable business.

Worked for XAP? Contribute to the Community!