XDx

www.xdx.com

XDx Reviews

Updated Jul 26, 2014
XDx – Brisbane – “Front of the Building”

XDx – Brisbane – “Front of the Building”

XDx CEO Peter Maag

Peter Maag

Great product, culture discourages personal growth

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Brisbane, CA

ProsAlloMap is a great product and sustainable into the next generation of personalized medicine. Post IPO means there is money to fund R&D on a promising new product as well. Most people recognize the value of the test to the patients and work very hard to provide quality results. Business is improving and sales will continue to rise over the next two years, but there is a cap with such a specific test.

Cons-Division of office - business operations and mgmt is on second floor while the daily tasks of the company are on the first floor. Literally 'beneath them'.
    -No opportunity for growth, job tasks are mainly tasks - no room for input or creative thought - the managers save all the important decisions for themselves in order to seem important.I'll echo the sentiment of another reviewer that the employees/manangement who have been here the longest seem to keep valuable information and tasks to themselves in order to succeed - withholding information and experience that could help new hires.
    -Inadequate training policies, haphazard procedures that could be made many times more efficient with an overhaul.
    -Discouraged from suggesting improvements. I have suggested many improvements to daily tasks and have been shot down each time.
    -High turnover. A company of 60 people fires 5 of them in less than a year, and several experienced and competent employees left willingly.
    -Bad communication between departments and a lot of snark about what 'they' want, do, or need. No teamwork attitude.
    -Overwork. Several coworkers work >40 hours EVERY week. This is not healthy, and it encourages new hires to feel like they have to follow suit.

Advice to Senior ManagementEncourage cross departmental communication and understanding, trust your employees to be competent and responsible (you hired them, after all), take time to review each departments procedures and question everything - some are operating on their own agendas.

Had potential, but change was needed in order to be successful

Commercial (Former Employee) Brisbane, CA

ProsIt was always a pleasant experience working with most employees of XDx. The people actually cared about the technology and believed in the product and how it affected patient quality of life.

ConsDiscouraged transferring departments. Don't accept a job in a group thinking you can transfer once you get in. Also lack of growth opportunities.

Advice to Senior ManagementDuring my time at XDx, people made a lot of waste and workflow and employee inefficiencies that could have been improved. However, management was always against change. My advice -- don't fight technology, else bioTECHNOLOGY is obviously not your calling.

Not worth your time

ProsGood technology that is changing peoples lives, some good people…

ConsOverworked, underpaid, unpaid shutdown, aging infrastructure, no opportunity for growth or improvement...
    People who have been with the company since the early days are very clicky. They make newcomers unwelcome, they don’t train people adequately, and by keeping the historical knowledge for themselves they make themselves irreplaceable. They come to work when they want, leave when they want and they are more interested in playing office games that doing actual work. When things go wrong instead of investigating to find out what actually happened they look for scapegoat to point finger on.
    General idea is that new CEO is here to tighten things up before they sell the company. I wouldn’t not recommend working here unless you are really starving for money and you don’t have any other option

Advice to Senior ManagementDo you ever wonder why everyone who was capable left the company and found another job? And those that are still here are actively looking!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It was a good place to work until management changed.

Management (Current Employee) Brisbane, CA

ProsGood product, people were nice, very dedicated and knowledgeable. Some of upper management were great and really tried to improve the culture - others not so much.

ConsNew CEO changed things, more interested in making a profit than a good product. Company barely hanging on didn't help.There are big issues with the company ever becoming profitable and there is no money to spend on R&D which limits the chances for future success.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind a big lab to buy the company

XDx

ProsSome good people and the work/life balance is great

ConsNo advancement opportunity and lots of layoffs which influences the culture

Review

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsPeople were fun.
    The work was interesting.

ConsToo political.
    Didn't seem like much opportunity to grow.

Almost no one remains

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Brisbane, CA

Prosget a lot of experience doing work previously done by three employees

Consunpaid shutdown during the holidays
    no bonuses and weak salaries
    head count has been drastically reduced while business is booming

Advice to Senior ManagementIt is borderline unethical to continue to reduce staff from the bottom of the company while business increases. Stop forcing staff to celebrate sales milestones while other people are laid off, or at least try to make those events happen on different days.

Great product -- poor upper management

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee) Brisbane, CA

ProsThe benefits were amazing, and the people were brilliant. The work was always challenging, and engaging.

ConsMassive layoffs meant the heart of the company was gutted. After a second round, it never recovered. Senior management talked a good talk but had no direction. Thankfully the product moved forward despite many poor decisions at the executive level.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease listen to the employees who are making it work.

downward slide

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Brisbane, CA

ProsValuable product that makes life better for patients. Some smart people who want to do the right thing.

ConsLack of business sense helped drive the company into the ground. It's amazing it is still alive. Ruled by politics instead of what is best for the business.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to care about the business more than what you can personally get out of the company. They pretend to be transparent, but the hard facts are not revealed.

No one left standing

Clinical Laboratory Scientist (Former Employee) Brisbane, CA

Pros-Small company
    -Pre-IPO
    -Good to working parents

Cons-management
    -advancement opportunities
    -pay

You'll see that the good reviews are from years ago or interns that learned a lot. You can go anywhere and make $20,000+ more and most have. Once a thriving company, there is a skeleton crew of misfits left.

Worked for XDx? Contribute to the Community!