XL Group

XL Group Reviews

Updated Jun 26, 2014

XL Group CEO Michael McGavick

Michael McGavick

Pros:
  • "Employee friendly company, good working environment, work life balance is also good"
    in 6 reviews
  • "I previously worked at another global company, but never got the day-to-day engagement with global colleagues like I do here at XL"
    in 4 reviews
Cons:
  • "Senior management used to be fairly incompetent but with McGavick this seemed to be changing"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

It is a worst place to work.

Regulatory Data Analyst (Current Employee)
    Exton, PA

ProsBenefit is good. The work load is small.

ConsThe managers have too much powers to do whatever they want. Such as favoritism is very popular.

Advice to Senior ManagementHR should work actively to stop favoritism

Flag Review
    XL Group Head of Global Talent Acquisition responded to this review Dec 6, 2013 EditDelete
    It's disappointing to hear that you're not happy here at XL. I encourage you to connect with the Exton HR team to see if there's anything we can do to address your concerns. As you likely know ... More

Great Company to Work for! Very dynamic environment.

New York, NY

ProsVery good and dynamic work environment. Truly global company. Senior management has a lot of vision and supportive and encouraging to the business units. Good compensation package and career development opportunities. Management aware of and very supportive to employee's need career development.

ConsIT and operations should be more supportive and aware of the needs of each business unit.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep on doing the good work!

Highly collaborative environment.

Stamford, CT

ProsI'm constantly challenged by my colleagues and boss to be innovative - turning ideas on their head and doing something different from our competitors. I also like the global reach of XL (22+ countries) as I'm constantly engaging with colleagues around the globe. I previously worked at another global company, but never got the day-to-day engagement with global colleagues like I do here at XL. I specifically like engaging and collaborating with our colleagues in India - we learn so much from each other.

ConsThe firm has grown rapidly so there are a lot of processes and procedures that need to be put in place. That provides a great opportunity for me and others to "add value" here at the firm, but it requires a lot of work. Sometimes that excites me and other times I feel overwhelmed.

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer a rotational program for junior-to-mid-level colleagues to spend 6 months in one of our international locations.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good and intelligent colleagues

ProsColleagues are very supportive, smart and intelligent, know the products and help if asked for.

ConsNothing comes to mind, really a good company

Upper management clueless

Re-insurance Accountant (Current Employee)
    Exton, PA

ProsIf you work in London you get 30!days off a year

ConsIf you work in the USA, they use you

Advice to Senior ManagementAcknowledge the people below you who make you look good.

A great organization to work for!

Underwriter (Current Employee)

ProsColleagues are very professional and supportive, great reputation in the insurance world, cross-selling opportunities, very team-oriented approach to products, open to innovative coverages

ConsTransition from change in upper management affected relationships, culture changed to an "AIG" production oriented approach

Good Environment...HIGH turnover

Technical Assistant (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsGood environment, easy going management

ConsTurnover seems pretty high. You could be temping for a long time before getting offered a full-time position.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake more temps permanent if they've been there a while

For good quality of life, this is the spot

IT Project Manager (Current Employee)
    Hartford, CT

ProsXL treats employees as professionals and has good policies for remote working, travel, and time off
    XL pays well and has very good benefits (for example: 140% 401k match up to 5%, uncapped, in the US)
    XL has great collaboration and communication tools.
    XL is global, so you have a good range of people to work with
    XL is dynamic, so getting stuck only doing 1 thing is a choice mostly
    XL treats their people to events such as an annual XMas party, a Glboal Day of Giving (socially responsible), and in some locations, a summer party.

ConsCommon management theme: "How cheap can you get the work done, and I need it done yesterday"
    Lacking clearly defined roles & responsibilities
    Want big things on small budgets

Advice to Senior ManagementYou can't buy a Mercedes on a Honda budget - be reasonable with expectations
    Get better at quantifying and tracking capital investment returns. There is reasonably good rigor that goes into project definition, but when benefit assumptions do not hold true, hold managers accountable - do not whip people to work harder to make your number slook good

XL Global Services Great Company!!!

Process Architect (Former Employee)
    Stamford, CT

ProsManagement takes ownership of their respective functional areas. Company has a clear vision of where it would like to be in the future. Their main focus is on improving colleague experience.

ConsThere is a very clear negative distinction between Contractors and FTE's in the company culture. There are not enough resources to do all of the work and sometimes priorities change on a day to day basis. If working as an employee, must be flexible enough to handle constantly shifting priorities.

A great place to work, if you love matrix management

Underwriter (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsDecent pay, good health/dental coverages; good 401k match. Friendly work atmosphere with knowledgeable people

ConsParent company ships all funds from US operations offshore to avoid taxes. Matrix management a pain to navigate. No one is empowered to make decisions.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt feels like you have 3000 people managing 2000 people. You need fewer captains and more soldiers.

Worked for XL Group? Contribute to the Community!

XL Group – Why Work for Us?

​​​​​​ XL at a Glance We're risk specialists. Our knowledge and strength help unleash the world's capacity to advance. XL Group plc, through its subsidiaries, is a global insurance and reinsurance company… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at XL Group reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for XL Group CEO Michael McGavick. All 58 reviews posted anonymously by XL Group employees.