XL Group

XL Group Reviews

Updated Jul 11, 2014

XL Group CEO Michael McGavick

Michael McGavick

Pros
  • Employee friendly company, good working environment, work life balance is also good(in 8 reviews)

• I previously worked at another global company, but never got the day-to-day engagement with global colleagues like I do here at XL(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • There is very definitely a line between what is allowed and what isn't, ESPECIALLY from senior management to their staff(in 4 reviews)

solid stuff

Prosinterns can get their hands dirty

Conslittle cooperation between the group members little guidance from the mentor to its employee yet mentors are very willing to help

Horrible place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Hartford, CT

ProsI seriously am unable to think of one right now. Beginning of my career was good....Toward the end, very disillusioned.

ConsToo much butt kissing, not enough recognition of work actually accomplished. Senior managagement goes unsupervised, unchallenged and retaliation for complaints is high. Learning curve is zero and the bonus system is based on if they like you (even though they say it's performanced based.) There is very definately a line between the cans and the cannnots. There is very definitely a line between what is allowed and what isn't, ESPECIALLY from senior management to their staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementSeriously, advise to management goes unheeded. If I could offer one piece of advise....come out from behind closed doors. Look at your employees and see that only a select few are happy. Walk the halls and LISTEN. Observe morale and then DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT. Lastly, top executives also need supervision. Regardless of how well they may do their jobs, do a couple of expense audits and do a vew audits of cell phone usage. You'd be amazed at what you find. With respect to McGavick - don't know him. It might benefit him to be a little more visible.

Loved working here!

Financial Business Analyst (Former Employee) Wilmington, DE

ProsLots of fun and team feeling. No pressure and great work life balance.

ConsToo many meetings. Meetings to schedule another meeting about another meeting. Didn't feel like much was accomplished

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good Company but division has challenges

Underwriter (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsEmployees work together and collaborate well, compensation and benefits are solid, good risk control support and colleagues are bright, intelligent people that have lots of intellectual capital to share.

ConsDivisional management is stale and full of personal fiefdoms. Unit management has crushed moral. No real opportunity for advancement within organization

Advice to Senior ManagementReally revamp. Clean house and create a sense of vision, leadership and empowerment with your underwriting team. Loss ratios won't improve if underwriters don't take a vested interest because they do not feel empowered.

Great Place to Work

ProsMy management team: both my manager and second-level manager foster collaboration, out-of-the box approaches to problems.

ConsNone that I can think of.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep being great to work for.

Good company to work for

IT Project Manager (Current Employee)

ProsSmall company culture, positive environment, great learning experience

ConsDemanding environment, not too exiting

Great place to work

Vice President IT (Current Employee) Hartford, CT

ProsReal nice place to work & flexible

ConsI haven't wanted to leave so no cons right now

Advice to Senior ManagementNice job

Used to be a lot easier here

Underwriter (Current Employee)

ProsBenefits are good. 401k is extremely good. Medical ins could be better. Salaries seem competitive. Very dynamic company - pro and con. A lot of very talented people here. Global company with a lot of camaraderie with overseas colleagues. Nice working environment.

ConsPractice of rewarding incompetence with promotion rather than removing that incompetence from the company. Not enough manpower, low head counts in critical functions. Not much opportunity for progression - incompetence with friends in high places will win over talent very time. Used to be a quality based company now there is a much more production driven mentality.

Advice to Senior ManagementReward talent not incompetence. Bring back the focus on quality.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Very good experience with XL Group

Data Quality Assurance II (Former Employee) Remote, OR

ProsVery professional and competent people to work with.

Consnone, nada, no problems with these guys.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work.

Too Political! Stay Away

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Stamford, CT

ProsWork Life Balance, Environment, Salary & Benefits Plans. Employees are passionate about their fields of interest and collaborate well with others.

ConsToo political/bureaucratic! Management doesn't praise or provide recognition of good work quality, and doesn't give credit where credit is due. They're only looking out for their own interests. Constant miscommunication and disconnect between manager and employee and department to department.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize the hard work of those who work under you, and for the goodness sake extend a compliment/praise every once and a while! Without those people, you wouldn't be "qualified" to do your own job.

Worked for XL Group? Contribute to the Community!