XLA Reviews

Updated August 24, 2014
Updated August 24, 2014
2.6

Lloyd M. Mustin II

Good Company that cares about the people

I have been working at XLA

Pros

Benefits, flexibility, great people. Excited about the move to Tysons

Cons

In treating the people great they sometimes forget about the management teams needs

Just a normal gov contractor

I have been working at XLA full-time (more than an year)

Pros

IF you need a job it is ok, but it depends a lot on the work site.

Cons

Poor project management, and not much in the way of corporate culture

Great people with lots of experience and fun personalities

I have been working at XLA full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Small Business feel for a large business. Fun group of passionate people and a lot of transparency by senior management.

Cons

Not a ton of professional development programs in place yet.

Keep up the good work!

Working with XLA was the best contracting company I ever worked for. Great benefits!

Former Employee - Office Management Specialist in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Office Management Specialist in Washington, DC

I worked at XLA full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, The best Christmas parties and cruise ships and really nice people.

Cons

Did not do a good job with placing me with another Bureau.

Could do a better with reaching out to your employees that are waiting to be placed with jobs.

Awesome

Former Employee - Human Resources Department in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Human Resources Department in Washington, DC

I worked at XLA full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great salaries, great leadership, flexible schedules

Cons

A lot of contract-to-hire work if you're a consultant/contractor

ALON... another word for anti-integrity

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at XLA full-time (less than an year)

Pros

A lot of the employees that actually performed were extremely nice.

Cons

The program managers I reported to were deceiving. There was no employee support. Their only goal appeared to be to do whatever they could to make sure their employees were bringing in revenue. I was paired up with an employee that did not want me there. The environemt was hostile and the only people that either did not see it or refused to acknowledge it was ALON PMs and management. The customer was aware of it. Even to the extent that a lot of the models I created were either sabotaged if I did not file-protect them, or they were not actually supported by ALON PMs... even if the customer liked them and wanted to utilize them. My PM went as far as to tell me that if the task order I was on was not funded past a certain point, that I would have 3 positions waiting for me on another task order. He then went on vacation, and I was informed the next week that it would be my last week, and that there were no positions for me anywhere. This is definitely an organization with an extremely low level of integrity. They seem to have no real sense of fiduciary responsibility to the customer.

Get some integrity... the service you are providing to the customer where I worked is over-priced compared to what you are delivering and what you pay your employees actually doing work at the client site. Concentrate more on nurturing the employees, and less attention to your profit margin. You appear to be portraying yourselves as a "champagne vendor" with "beer integrity".

Not a quality employer

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at XLA full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I had no previous consulting experience, but ALON was willing to give me a chance.

The company does provide annual bonuses and has a stellar holiday party.

Cons

On-site management was of little help when it came to resolving issues (either internally or with the client). They were unwilling to have honest discussions with employees and even more unwilling to actually take action on their behalf.

I was handed leadership responsibilities for extended periods of time despite the fact that I was the lowest paid member of the team. When I requested an early evaluation and increased salary I was told to put my request in writing so that it could be sent to HQ. Months later I realized that the on-site PM had never actually submitted my request.

My opinion of the on-site mangagement was shared by the other employees I spoke with. There was no real vision for the company or leadership exhibited by the managers. They consistently showed a level of disrespect toward their co-workers that would not be accepted at most companies. Oddly enough, though, at ALON, these were the only people moving up the corporate ladder. They failed to take care of good employees and allowed sub-par employees to linger in positions as long as they didn't rock the boat.

You will never have quality employees stay more than a year or so if you don't first hire managers who are up to the task. Managing employees is just as important as managing your clients.

Would not recommend

Current Employee - Technical Writer in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Technical Writer in Washington, DC

I have been working at XLA full-time (less than an year)

Pros

This is not a highly demanding job. The pay and benefits are good. If you are an unmotivated individual with little aspirations, this is the place for you.

Cons

The lackadaisical atmosphere permeates through the organization resulting in an unchallenging work environment and lazy culture. I was placed on client site as a Technical Writer and discovered that they in fact hired me to act as a personal assistant for the client. There is a lack of direction from leadership. The company and its workforce is young and lack the experience to direct and lead properly. The contract I was hired for is now in jeopardy and there has been minimal action taken to save it. I feel very deceived by what was communicated in the interview about my role and opportunities for advancement.

Pay attention to what is happening on client site and determine a course of action when the contract is not performing well. Do not oversell yourself if you cannot deliver.

Kick you on your way out

Former Employee - Project Manager in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at XLA full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I will say without this company I would not be where I am and I know a few other employees that were junior level that used this company for a launch. They do have a great Christmas party as well. The company has some young energetic employees that can make it a fun place to work.

Cons

ALON does not pay you when you out perform your original title. No matter if you go from doing normal analyst work to management. It is so clear they refuse to pay for your work. I have never seen a company try to pay so little in my career in consulting. It is almost embarrassing how cheap they can be. There HQ support is also average to poor. This company grew so fast but did not hire any more HQ support. I know they have merged now with XL Associates so maybe this has improved. Also, when you leave the company some of their senior managers treat you like garbage. Don’t fall for the “we will get back to you tomorrow with a counter”. Tomorrow will come they will not even give you a courtesy “sorry can’t match” they totally ignore you. This has happened to about 4 people I know including myself that left the company. Most of their senior managers are untrustworthy. I fully understand managers can’t tell you everything but these guys have a total disregard for you as a person.

Quit and hope XL ALON can hire people better than you.

Terrible place to work

I have been working at XLA full-time

Pros

The salary is competitive and they give young consultants challenging work.

Cons

1. HR has no standard operating procedures and everything is communicated verbally and changes frequently and/or policy is created on the fly.
    2. Management cares only about making the client happy and not actually producing positive change in the organization.
    3. There is not transparency about how long your contract will last. I was told in the interview that the contract with the client had a couple of more years on it. On my first day, I found out from my corworker that in fact the contract was ending in 6 months and we would be out on the streets if it was not extended.
    4. Due to the lack of transparency, there is a lot of fear among employees and misinformation. People are mostly not happy with their jobs.
    5. Did I mention that HR has no procedures? I have sent countless emails trying to find out what is going on with my benefits, etc.

Get some SOPs in place.