XM Satellite Radio Holdings
www.xmradio.com Washington, DC 500 to 999 Employees

XM Satellite Radio Holdings Reviews

Updated Feb 28, 2014

XM Satellite Radio Holdings Chief Executive Officer, Sirius XM Radio Inc. Mel Karmazin

Mel Karmazin

A good internship and learning experience

Internal Tech Support (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsDiverse staff with a dynamic office. I was doing internal tech support and was able to work a lot on some big installation projects for the studios and was trusted with a lot.

ConsThe NY office is split between a few locations and I often found myself needing to be in several places in a short period of time even though they were a few blocks away from each other.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company merged with Sirius at the end of my internship, so I have nothing to say about management because it was in flux

great internship with lots of opty

Finance Intern (Former Employee)
    Washington, DC

ProsThe company lets you really challenge your self and find ways to expand your horizon

Conslack of work as an intern at times which lead to dead ends

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Great Culture, non existing opportunities for women in tech

Technical (Former Employee)
    Washington, DC

Pros- cafe in dc office
    - trips to nyc
    - free performances
    - being around the music
    - stock options - issued in the leu of bonus

Cons- unfair rules where some employees can telecommute while others are required to be in the office even if both are performing the same duties
    - no advancement for women. one can be in the same job for years and not get a promotion, while men tend ot get ahead much sooner
    - small salary adjustments, and rarely a bonus
    - no learning opportunities, no training

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize that women are just as capable and educated as men in the workforce. And often times the work is carried on the shoulders of women, while the credit always goes to the man in charge. Promote gender equality.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Working Hard Pays Off

Semior Manager, Marketing Strategy (Former Employee)
    Washington, DC

ProsA place looking for good, hard working, smart people who can add value. It was a great place if you're self-motivated and find areas of improvement that you would like to work on. Great for entrepreneurial spirits!

ConsNot very sophisticated or advanced relative to competition and forward thinking.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to competition outside of satellite radios

It was a fun place to work, where you felt like your home life was valued.

Senior Marketing Specialist (Former Employee)
    Washington, DC

ProsCasual atmosphere, open door-policy with management, ability to work from home, convenienet to metro, shuttle buses provided to and from train station, in-house concerts, free subscription to satellite radio; room for nursing moms

ConsMerge caused lack of company morale, budget contraints and insecurity regarding job stability; lack of communication surrounding merger lead to lack of trust in management

Advice to Senior ManagementBe open with employees on upcoming changes. That will prevent feelings of dissapointment and disbelief when changes take place. We often felt like we heard everything from outside sources before we did from our own company.

Understaffed and undermanned

Vice President (Former Employee)
    Washington, DC

ProsDynamic environment. Programming team was great, especially music programming

ConsSenior leadership didnt listen to top strategic partners. Very arrogant

Advice to Senior ManagementSit and talk with strategic partners (retail, OEM, distributors) and ask for help in becoming relevant again

Lost potential

Account Manager (Former Employee)
    Washington, DC

ProsFlashy Brand (at least it was), Great for resume, generated interest needed to get in the door to other employers, good cross between tech/manufacturing, retail, and media.

ConsCompany was split between products vs. media content, and could never make up its mind. Result- little synergies. Also had no structure for developing bench, proper resource allocation for projects, and no pervasive mgmt ethos. Messy financials=empty promises. Unless you can use it for your resume in a media/marketing field- have an exit strategy upon entering.

Advice to Senior ManagementMgmt- all ideas, no execution. If it's still the same- Nate- that is a big ship to turn around.

Good while it lasted.

Vice President (Former Employee)
    Washington, DC

ProsGood company in the beginning. Exciting new technology and growing future.

ConsShort-sighted management who made decisions based more on "gut feelings" and personal competitiveness with Sirius Management.

Advice to Senior ManagementSirius should unload as many of the "strategic" thinkers that they acquired from XM, or else Sirius will also fall. Clearly, all they managed to do, was make XM ripe for Sirius to acquire.

This was such a great place to work

Producer (Former Employee)
    Washington, DC

ProsAlthough this company was recently merged into Sirius Satellite Radio, this was a fantastic place to work. I always felt supported by senior management and was encouraged to learn, grow and try new ideas and launch new projects. It was a supportive, creative, but sometimes tough environment to work in. We got lots of feedback and the review process was actually something that managers took seriously. Senior management was accessible and definitely practiced a "open door" policy at all times. All in all, I have to say that I really loved working at XM Satellite Radio. It's too bad that it was merged into Sirius.

ConsLong hours and some behind the scenes sniping. When we were launching new projects -- like anywhere else, I'm sure -- we could have incredible stressful evenings of putting projects together. These were often disorganized, but some liked to use the words "controlled chaos" to describe it. As the company's business prospects soured during the past few years, and a lot of new managers were brought in from the outside, the attitude of the place definitely went south. There were some key hires, I believe, that were mishires in programming. But the big mistakes were made in the financial management of this company, which is why it was puchased by Sirius Satellite Radio.

Advice to Senior ManagementI cut my journalism teeth here, and miss it a lot. I wish you guys didn't mess it up!

Now is probably not the best time to go to this company

Production Assistant (Current Employee)
    Washington, DC

ProsXM is a place where you can be exposed to lots of things. Marketing, Creative, and of course music. Depending on your position there are ample opportunities to travel. Also to go to concerts. Even if you are stuck in your desk most of the time, so many artists come through the building studio you have a good chance of seeing a really big artist in a really small venue. Also the benefits package is pretty good. Not google good, but few packs are. The building itself is also pretty amazing. All I have to say is X M Radio.

ConsWorking here, like many places these days you are going to be overworked and underpaid. Plus now is especially bad with the merger nearly complete there is a good chance many positions will be cut. Also the management team is not the most competent in the world. Almost all the people who founded the company have moved on to other positions. This does not bode well for the company. As the company has grown they have seemed to take a bit more into consideration employee morale, doing such things as employee recognition programs (at least they did a year ago). However overall I found the morale to be quite low and the recongition programs didn't do much to boost morale.

Advice to Senior ManagementRespect your employees more, especially in hard times

Worked for XM Satellite Radio Holdings? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at XM Satellite Radio Holdings reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for XM Satellite Radio Holdings CEO Mel Karmazin . All 13 reviews posted anonymously by XM Satellite Radio Holdings employees.