XO Communications

www.xo.com

XO Communications Reviews in Herndon, VA

Updated Jun 2, 2014

Chris Ancell

Pros
  • Great people that want to solve problems(in 18 reviews)

• Flexible working hours, work-life balance, easy to get to location(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • The idea of a lay off over your head every year even when upper management said there would be none(in 14 reviews)

• No raises, limited or politically motivated employee recognition(in 7 reviews)

14 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Company on the rise!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Herndon, VA

ProsGreat people/talent! Flexible work schedule and telecomute day (a plus with the DMV) area. Always something new to learn.

ConsEmployee engagement, some of the leadership team, benefits are weak, career pathing

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop your talent before the leave for a company that values them.

Totally Unprofessional Environment

Accountant (Former Employee) Herndon, VA

ProsCommute, company-wide telework days, location

ConsIncompetent managers, lack of leadership, horrible medical benefits, very high turnover rate of employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake some classes on how to be an effective manager

XO employs very talented people

Project Manager (Current Employee) Herndon, VA

ProsFlexible working hours, work-life balance, easy to get to location.

ConsA lot of organizational changes every year.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Drowning in process

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Herndon, VA

ProsThe techies were razor sharp and frequently pulled magic out of their gear to keep the customer happy. Most of the people I worked with were fundamentally decent.

Cons- XO is not so much a telecom carrier as a financial vehicle (owned by Carl Icahn). Therefore there is not so much a long term vision informed by technology, such as you might find at AT&T or Level3, as a determination to keep the magic EBITDA number looking good whatever it takes. Layoffs, risky deals, ruthless price-cutting that makes it impossible to satisfy clients, etc.
    - the IT systems and the bureaucracy that has grown up around it are strangling the company. They're actually losing good people whose dream of implementing real improvements for customers get grounded in 50-person conference calls and 9 month development cycles just to put a line item in the product catalog. Meanwhile, XO's rivals park their tanks on their lawn.
    - churn in senior management is a concern. The CTO has gone, the chief process office has gone, the CEO just got demoted to CFO, etc. I suspect that the CEO decision in particular was a human sacrifice on the altar of EBITDA, but it starts to look bad.
    - at a personal level, the healthcare plan is absolutely terrible. If you are offered at job at XO, review the out of pocket costs for the plan extremely carefully and know what you are getting into before you sign.

Advice to Senior ManagementStrip the assets, break up the company and sell off the pieces.

An HLau

Project Manager (Current Employee) Herndon, VA

ProsThe people are great. HR does what it can to try and improve morale, but they can only do so much, given the culture.

ConsQuarterly lay offs- definitely a "black cloud"

No Place to Go

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Herndon, VA

Pros- Flexible schedules
    - Telework policy (if your boss allows you to take advantage of it)
    - Not alot of bureaucracy to get things done
    - Love the people I work with; have made some great friends

Cons- Terrible Benefits
    - Use it or Lose It Vacation Time
    - Good luck getting a raise
    - Even better luck trying to get a promotion
    - The constant threat of losing your job at yearly (and sometimes biyearly) layoffs

Advice to Senior Management- Invest in the front line managers
    - Stop laying off people to get your yearly bonus
    - Train managers; you have some totally inept people managing others and ruining their careers

A stable telecommunications company now privately held by Carl Icahn

Director Finance (Former Employee) Herndon, VA

ProsThis is a stable company with a capable and likeable CEO in a desirable location

ConsDifficulty in visioning and excuting a growth plan

Advice to Senior ManagementFill the service pipeline with services that enhance the customer experience

XO Communications

Account Executive (Current Employee) Herndon, VA

ProsGood company with broad portfolio

Consno real data center solution to compete with others

Hate the job, but like the company

Account Executive (Current Employee) Herndon, VA

ProsGreat corporate culture, lots of communication between upper management and staff, etc.

ConsCompany has a shady past

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to be transparent and honest

Whatever happened to unity, teamwork and pride?

Associate (Former Employee) Herndon, VA

ProsVery generous with Paid Time Off. Although "PTO" is not the proper name at XO due to the fact that if the individual does not use the time by the end of each calendar year, they will lose it and not be compensated it for it.

ConsManagers will say one thing in hopes of getting the team all on board but once it's time for them to hold up their end of the bargain a "Jekyell & Hyde" transformation takes place and the lower level employees are bamboozled again. Extremely thick skin and deep pocket books are necessary for survival. Also,they never promote within. Great pitch during the interview process but nothing could be further from the truth.

Advice to Senior ManagementScrutinize, question and test Project Managers/Program Managers. Even though some of them have been employed by you for over a decade, they are clueless with XO product set, pricing and the management of people. If they are constantly asking you how to price things, that should be a red flag!

Worked for XO Communications? Contribute to the Community!