XO Communications Reviews

Updated September 22, 2014
Updated September 22, 2014
2.9

Chris Ancell

Pros
  • Great people that want to solve problems (in 19 reviews)

• XO has a relaxed environment with flexible schedules and allows you to work from home (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • The idea of a lay off over your head every year even when upper management said there would be none (in 14 reviews)

• Leadership out of touch, no raises, no promotions, no investment in employees, no growth (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Office manager for 10 years

I worked at XO Communications

Pros

The sales staff was great to work with every day.

Cons

Turnover due to sales people not making quota.

Herndon Is The Ivory Tower...and they don't know it.

I have been working at XO Communications full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

This was a great company when I joined a little over 10 years ago. The company focused on the customers needs, the employees and the future.

Cons

Now the company is led by the people in Herndon (you'll see the anonymous employee reviews from Herndon, aka The Ivory Tower) with a CEO that seems to be unaware of what it's like to work with people.

Every time there is an "all employee call" we get together, wondering who is going to be laid off next. How many times will we hear how great the company is doing, but we cannot have raises or bonuses "at this time?" And taking away the ability to work from home is punishing a lot of people for the few that abused it. Sure people were on calls with babies crying in the background. That's not a good idea. But what about the others that worked hard? Now the drive in will cost money for gas and parking as well as adding to the carbon footprint. So if XO was looking to be a "green" company, you can scratch them off that list.

Who is this new CEO? People in the Ivory Tower sing his praises, but those of us in the trenches have no idea why he's so happy on every call that announces the new lay-offs and destruction of people's lives.

Oh, and stop moving people around in their job functions without asking them. XO has become the game of shuffleboard. I have no idea what my job title will be next month!

XO was the best job I have had so far. I was there 11 years before my position was eliminated due to budget cuts.

Former Employee - Market Coordinator
    Former Employee - Market Coordinator

I worked at XO Communications full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

It was all about the office where I worked, great management, outstanding, talented sales people, intelligent engineers and an all around super environment. I was very pleased my salary growth and vacation and perk. When I left I had increased my salary $15,000 in 11 years.

Cons

Horrible benefits! In the past 2 years things really started going downhill. Customer Service was below par and installs were becoming long and painful for customers, plus the frequent outages were getting worse and worse. Upper and local management were like clowns at a circus.I am proud to have been with XO during their better years!

Take better care of your long term employees. Stop outsourcing to India, get rid of certain upper management akka "Funky" and others.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The aggressiveness of the new CEO, Chris Ansell, is refreshing and exciting to witness.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA

I have been working at XO Communications

Pros

What is expected is 8 hours of quality work for 8 hours pay. The possibility of personal growth is there especially with the new inclusive policy being instilled by the CEO. With the implementation of cloud products and the improvement of old products the sky is the limit.

Cons

The negative aspects are the people that believe that everything revolves around them, and therefore, are not willing or able to relinquish control or delegate tasks and authority. The insecurities displayed amongst the employees, along with the continuous demeaning and downgrading of others is tiresome and is leading to a mass exodus of good people.

I would advise getting rid of the dead weight and concentrate on the ones that are and can contribute positively to the bottom line.

XO Communications

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA

I have been working at XO Communications full-time

Pros

Nice people, relaxed atmosphere, people get along well and build strong relationships, the senior leadership is approachable and seems focused on improving the company in the right ways

Cons

Health benefits (high deductible plan), staff reductions resulted in many people feeling over worked and wearing multiple hats, no annual merit increase program, complaints that promotions frequently went to external applicants rather than promoting from within

Great place to work

I worked at XO Communications full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

nice environment, great benefits, comraderie with employees.

Cons

Opportunity for promotions and salary increases

Consider top performers for merit review and further development.

Bipolar C-management - authenticity gap between rhetoric and management policies

Current Employee - Financial Analyst, Lead
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst, Lead

I have been working at XO Communications full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

used to have flexible work arrangements

Cons

axing non cost benefits like telecommuting - benefits already bottom of the barrel

be transparent and own the unpopular decisions you make. consistent message across c-suite rather than thinly veiled power struggles/infighting

Great place to learn and grow

Current Employee - Director
    Current Employee - Director

I have been working at XO Communications full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Lots to do and plenty of opportunity to take on new challenges - as long as you make it happen for yourself.

Cons

Lack of long term vision and strategy from the board can be frustrating.

Continue your communications improvement efforts. Help people to find meaning and purpose beyond financial metrics.

KAMIKAZE Pilots

I have been working at XO Communications full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good people in the trenches.
    Lots of diffrent equipment to work on.
    Pays the bills.

Cons

Benefits are below the street curb.
    No direction what so ever.
    what is a merit raise?
     Organizational Effectiveness?? why will take away the work from home policy! now pay me big bucks.

Stop treating your employee like an adversary.
    Micro managing at it finest very counter productive.
    The executives have a revolving door.
    The Indians are riffed to almost genicide.
    there will be nothing but chiefs left to run the store and that works how?

National Repair Tech. Tier 2

I worked at XO Communications

Pros

Employees cared to make the working environment fun beyond call center setting. Work from home option was a plus.

Cons

Management was disorganized, HR hunted employees creating a culture of mistrust, and there was a lack of accountability for tenured employees versus the overbearing watchful eye on newer employees.

XO Communications Photos

XO Communications Headquarters
XO (Photo thanks to Flickr user Gem Images with permission, All rights reserved.)

+ Add Photo

Worked for XO Communications? Contribute to the Community!