XO Communications

Updated November 17, 2014
Updated November 17, 2014
2.8

Chris Ancell

Pros
  • Great people that want to solve problems (in 19 reviews)

• XO has a relaxed environment with flexible schedules and allows you to work from home (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • The idea of a lay off over your head every year even when upper management said there would be none (in 15 reviews)

• Leadership out of touch, no raises, no promotions, no investment in employees, no growth (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

account executive, Los angeles

Current Employee - Account Executive in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at XO Communications full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Decent pay, small office, good product set, good training, good on ramp commissions.

Cons

You have to pay for parking,

None

Good Internship experiences. Good program, manager and HR.

Former Employee - Intern Network Engineer in Herndon, VA
    Former Employee - Intern Network Engineer in Herndon, VA

I worked at XO Communications as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Nice co-workers, manager and office environment.

Cons

Not much training seminars.

Not for Everyone

I worked at XO Communications full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great people. Flexible (depending on where you work) They Try.

Cons

Constant change. CONSTANT. Extremely click-ish. Rewards more on who than what you know.

Try to recognize impact of constant instability -and recognize those that stick with you

Very Dissorganizted and too much change.

Former Employee - Sales in Herndon, VA
    Former Employee - Sales in Herndon, VA

I worked at XO Communications full-time

Pros

A relatively small company given the industry and its easier to get approvals on pricing and contract revisions which are always a constant in that verticle

Cons

Very disorganized and a downright depressing place to work. Constant changes and lack of focus, Very poor implementation when it came to circuit delivery.

No vision coupled with miss-guided information by uninformed executives to leadership

Current Employee - Sales Manager
    Current Employee - Sales Manager

I have been working at XO Communications full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people at the day-to-day activity level that drive the company are great. It's what had kept people here for many years.

Cons

The company lacks vision into market trends that are obvious mover and shaker technologies and solutions that their competitors are adding to their portfolios. The company will always be a network company at its core with little else of value. There is no experience or knowledge outside this core to take the company to the next level and what they are scared of or lacking in insight/vision, equates to someone providing wrong information and miss-information which also means opportunities missed.

The leadership doesn't appear to have the where-with-all or the insight to read through the miss-guided direction provided internally that is driving decisions. Pull your head out, gain your own perspective through other avenues of advise and direction vs. making decisions on products/solutions and technologies you know very little about.

IT Work Experience

Former Employee - IT Manager in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - IT Manager in Plano, TX

I worked at XO Communications full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Very laid back work environment. This can only be appreciated after you leave the company and go work for another.
    Pay is ok, management is laid back in IT. Get to go home at 5pm. Parking lot is empty at 5:30. Allows time for your family.

Cons

technology can be upgraded. They still use MS Word to do requirements. Outdated tools. Raises skipped. Benefits are not even there. Management do not know how to take advantages of their talents.

go get refresher in the technology. Some of you need to go to College.

Day to day co-workers were great, upper management out of touch"

I worked at XO Communications full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The people I worked with in Nashville were great. I was there for 10 years and for the most part my co-workers were like family. The best thing about that job was the people I worked directly with. Local management was good about arranging a flexible work schedule. That may have changed since I left, and then changed back after a few changes in management since then.

Cons

Most execs and upper management are out of touch with he front line workers. They often manage with fear tactics. There was always a layoff looming. I was fortunate to never get let go in any of them, but it was always in the back of my mind. Pay was mediocre for some, but if you really want to get ahead it isn't going to happen at XO unless you get lucky. Hard work plays into it as well, but moving up isn't totally dependent on doing a good job here, at least from my experience. The job itself doesn't really give you the sense that you are doing anything worthwhile in life. You are there to make a paycheck get your numbers and come back the next day to do it over again.

Care about your employees a little deeper. Got the extra mile for them and they will return the favor. That is what is missing at XO.

Office manager for 10 years

I worked at XO Communications

Pros

The sales staff was great to work with every day.

Cons

Turnover due to sales people not making quota.

The aggressiveness of the new CEO, Chris Ansell, is refreshing and exciting to witness.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA

I have been working at XO Communications

Pros

What is expected is 8 hours of quality work for 8 hours pay. The possibility of personal growth is there especially with the new inclusive policy being instilled by the CEO. With the implementation of cloud products and the improvement of old products the sky is the limit.

Cons

The negative aspects are the people that believe that everything revolves around them, and therefore, are not willing or able to relinquish control or delegate tasks and authority. The insecurities displayed amongst the employees, along with the continuous demeaning and downgrading of others is tiresome and is leading to a mass exodus of good people.

I would advise getting rid of the dead weight and concentrate on the ones that are and can contribute positively to the bottom line.

Herndon Is The Ivory Tower...and they don't know it.

I have been working at XO Communications full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

This was a great company when I joined a little over 10 years ago. The company focused on the customers needs, the employees and the future.

Cons

Now the company is led by the people in Herndon (you'll see the anonymous employee reviews from Herndon, aka The Ivory Tower) with a CEO that seems to be unaware of what it's like to work with people.

Every time there is an "all employee call" we get together, wondering who is going to be laid off next. How many times will we hear how great the company is doing, but we cannot have raises or bonuses "at this time?" And taking away the ability to work from home is punishing a lot of people for the few that abused it. Sure people were on calls with babies crying in the background. That's not a good idea. But what about the others that worked hard? Now the drive in will cost money for gas and parking as well as adding to the carbon footprint. So if XO was looking to be a "green" company, you can scratch them off that list.

Who is this new CEO? People in the Ivory Tower sing his praises, but those of us in the trenches have no idea why he's so happy on every call that announces the new lay-offs and destruction of people's lives.

Oh, and stop moving people around in their job functions without asking them. XO has become the game of shuffleboard. I have no idea what my job title will be next month!

XO Communications Photos

XO Communications Headquarters
XO (Photo thanks to Flickr user Gem Images with permission, All rights reserved.)

+ Add Photo