XO Communications

Updated June 30, 2014
Updated June 30, 2014
2.8

Chris Ancell

Pros
  • Great people that want to solve problems (in 19 reviews)

• XO has a relaxed environment with flexible schedules and allows you to work from home (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • The idea of a lay off over your head every year even when upper management said there would be none (in 15 reviews)

• Leadership out of touch, no raises, no promotions, no investment in employees, no growth (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

8 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Has been eventfull

Current Employee - Nation Repair Tech III in Saginaw, MI
    Current Employee - Nation Repair Tech III in Saginaw, MI

I have been working at XO Communications full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Pay is good for the area. The people on the tech level are great. Good product set in place. Next level support folks for the IP side know what they are doing. just a all around general ok place to work.

Cons

The good ole' boys club at the local top

None they know what needs to be changed

Great people and talent to work with but very unorganized in focus and direction on managements part.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saginaw, MI

I have been working at XO Communications full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Vacation benefits are great. Salary is decent. Co-workers willing and able to help each other. Opportunities for overtime for hourly employees.

Cons

Constant change in direction and lack of communication is driving moral down. With the constant change in management we have seen more focus on numbers and less focus on quality. Lack of personal training.

Provide classroom and personal/interactive training for new products you want your technicians to support. If upper management suggests a knee jerk reaction to a temporary problem, lower management needs to have the gumption to tell them it is a knee jerk reaction and that it is not beneficial to the long term goals of a successful company instead of blindly following.

Great training, poor management

Former Employee - Technical Support Representative II in Saginaw, MI
    Former Employee - Technical Support Representative II in Saginaw, MI

I worked at XO Communications full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Full month of in house training, trained on a wide variety of products.

Cons

Poor management, lack of accountability., lack of any opportunity to move up within the company, job security.

Be more in tune with the employees you have working under you.

With the right direction, XO Communications could be great

Current Employee - National Repair Technician II in Saginaw, MI
    Current Employee - National Repair Technician II in Saginaw, MI

I have been working at XO Communications full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

- Great people
    - Cutting edge technology
    - Good working environment

Cons

- Salary doesn't keep up with the cost of living
    - High co-pays
    - Poor local management
    - Going above and beyond is seldom noticed
    - Poor hiring practices
    - Under-staffed making it difficult to get time off.
    - Poor scheduling

Local management - You need to follow the most basic management rules. Fair, Firm, Consistent (no matter how difficult it will be). Based on previous employer standards, I don't know how HR approves of some of your practices.

Senior Management - I know profits are everything but you need to take care of your employees all the way down to the lowest.

Micro managed into the ground.

Current Employee - National Repair Technician in Saginaw, MI
    Current Employee - National Repair Technician in Saginaw, MI

I have been working at XO Communications full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The "sink or swim" training creates a camaraderie with the other team members who have been through the process.
    The company does provide paid national holidays.

Cons

There is internal strife between departments, which creates an us versus them mentality.
    Employees are judged on a full gamut of miniscule details. The under performing employees are given the easier assignments and the top performing employees are rewarded with the most difficult assignments. The metrics, which each employee is required to maintain, does not change. This micro management is then carried over to the yearly review and, if the wage freeze has been lifted, applied to your raise.

Enough with the micro management and stop creating a culture that hinders the growth of your employees.

Xo sucks out your soul, wont give raises and makes up new terms to spin the reason why.

Current Employee - Project Manager in Saginaw, MI
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Saginaw, MI

I have been working at XO Communications full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

People you work with, besides that None left, they have taken everything.

Cons

Beyond unacceptable medical coverage, they find ways around giving everyone a "salary adjustment". Play with words to make it sound correct. Human Resources is the biggest joke in the company. Hourly jobs seem to being laid off, but friends of a certain director in SAGINAW seem to loose their SENIOR MANAGEMENT jobs just to find another high paying position. Why don't that ever happen to an hourly person. No advancement opportunities. Managers get recognition, person doing the work gets nothing, no compensation, award. mangers under the impression the "Work Environment" or this weeks spin word "CULTURE" at XO is great. wake up free coffee don't make anyone that happy, we want money. Over 5 years and no raise, come on. Get your head out of the SAND.

Many people been with the company for years, time to pay out some compensation. Stop traveling we don't want to see your "show" its all tall tales. Were told to shut up and not say anything. Ethical my ass.

More Pros than Cons

I have been working at XO Communications

Pros

Great work/life balance. You get 10 vacation days, 5 floating holiday's, and 5 sick days in your first year. Vacation goes up to 15 days after your 3rd year.
    Wellness program - XO will pay you up to $400.00 each year to purchase exercise equipment, to join a gym or exercise program.
    Good work environment - laid back most of the time. Lot's of work events such as Biggest Loser walking contests, special days such as coffee days and popcorn days. They have a great take your child to work day with things for the kids to do and learn, one year they had a interviewing skills contest, which actually helped my child when they interviewed for job that summer.
    Usually business casual dress - but we have a lot of casual days and weeks - Friday's are always casual.
    Can be a fun place to work

Cons

Low pay - with no raises - even though upper management will get their bonus no matter what.
    Little to no room for advancement. There are a lot of employees who have been here 10-15 years. To advance you have to be friends with the managers. If you are not in "the group" you have no way to advance.
    Upper management - Especially Sr. Mangers, Directors, VP and above have no understanding of what the real employees jobs are.
    They keep changing how the teams are set up - each time it makes less sense than the time before. No real understanding of what will help the customers.

Get involved in what we really do every day. Sit with your employees - listen to them - then do something about it. We know what will work and can help fix the situation; You just don't give us a voice. Come out of your offices and walk around the center - I don't care if you are the VP or a director - we'd like to see you every once in awhile. We are busy too, however you make time for what’s important to you. Maybe the VP could actually show up in the office from time to time. We get tired of only see her assistant.

XO Communications, has all your telecom needs, minus the satisfied employees

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Saginaw, MI
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Saginaw, MI

I have been working at XO Communications

Pros

one of the only jobs in MIchigan that are still here.

Cons

benfits and their rules. You have 20 hours of sick time, but if you come in and go home sick after your shift starts, you get an occurence

quit taking away our sick days and running the company so it benefits the upper management. Some of us on the front line don't have the luxery of a stay at home spouse who can stay home with the sick child. We used to have 10 sick days, now we have 5. "but you may have taken away 5 of our sick days, and given us 2 floating holidays, that trade sounds equal"

XO Communications Photos

XO Communications Headquarters
XO (Photo thanks to Flickr user Gem Images with permission, All rights reserved.)

+ Add Photo