XO Communications Reviews

• Any Status
Employment Status

Reset
Chris Ancell

Pros
  • Great people that want to solve problems (in 20 reviews)

• Work from home option was a plus (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • The idea of a lay off over your head every year even when upper management said there would be none (in 15 reviews)

• Leadership out of touch, no raises, no promotions, no investment in employees, no growth (in 7 reviews)

Glad to have a job!

Current Employee - Technical Support Representative in Saginaw, MI
    Current Employee - Technical Support Representative in Saginaw, MI

I have been working at XO Communications full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Pros would include the people I work with that do their jobs correctly, the ability to work from home, wellness benefits (they pay you to get fit!), and vacation time is plentiful. There are also many opportunities for lower Tier support to advance. Good place to also get time served in the telecom business.

Cons

The health benefits are junk, also there are a lot of whiners (people who think they deserve more than they do), and there have been lay offs that could keep you on edge if you work in certain departments who have been affected by them in the past.

Advice to Management

Don't give them any reasons to say you choose favorites. Keep hearing that on this site but don't really see it from my job perspective.

Best call center job in Michigan.

Former Employee - Inbound Customer Service in Saginaw, MI
    Former Employee - Inbound Customer Service in Saginaw, MI

I worked at XO Communications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great management, great co-workers, employee morale days. They really want to make their employees want to come to work. I never dreaded showing up.

Cons

They have A LOT of layoffs. If you're performing well, you're probably safe, but some people will just get through with training, only to be laid off.

Advice to Management

Only hire people that you intend to keep.

Frustrating

I have been working at XO Communications full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Been with the company for many years, have lots of great relationships

Cons

Too much focus on irrelevant metrics which affect performance reviews, merit increases, and bonus amounts. If you don't meet the metrics, it costs you money. Time spent trying to meet metrics takes away from time that could be dedicated to providing a better customer experience by going the extra mile for our customers.

Advice to Management

You seem to have forgotten what a little recognition can do to help motivate us

Has been eventfull

Current Employee - Nation Repair Tech III in Saginaw, MI
    Current Employee - Nation Repair Tech III in Saginaw, MI

I have been working at XO Communications full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Pay is good for the area. The people on the tech level are great. Good product set in place. Next level support folks for the IP side know what they are doing. just a all around general ok place to work.

Cons

The good ole' boys club at the local top

Advice to Management

None they know what needs to be changed

Great people and talent to work with but very unorganized in focus and direction on managements part.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saginaw, MI

I have been working at XO Communications full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Vacation benefits are great. Salary is decent. Co-workers willing and able to help each other. Opportunities for overtime for hourly employees.

Cons

Constant change in direction and lack of communication is driving moral down. With the constant change in management we have seen more focus on numbers and less focus on quality. Lack of personal training.

Advice to Management

Provide classroom and personal/interactive training for new products you want your technicians to support. If upper management suggests a knee jerk reaction to a temporary problem, lower management needs to have the gumption to tell them it is a knee jerk reaction and that it is not beneficial to the long term goals of a successful company instead of blindly following.

Great training, poor management

Former Employee - Technical Support Representative II in Saginaw, MI
    Former Employee - Technical Support Representative II in Saginaw, MI

I worked at XO Communications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Full month of in house training, trained on a wide variety of products.

Cons

Poor management, lack of accountability., lack of any opportunity to move up within the company, job security.

Advice to Management

Be more in tune with the employees you have working under you.

With the right direction, XO Communications could be great

Current Employee - National Repair Technician II in Saginaw, MI
    Current Employee - National Repair Technician II in Saginaw, MI

I have been working at XO Communications full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Great people - Cutting edge technology - Good working environment

Cons

- Salary doesn't keep up with the cost of living - High co-pays - Poor local management - Going above and beyond is seldom noticed - Poor hiring practices - Under-staffed making it difficult to get time off. - Poor scheduling

Advice to Management

Local management - You need to follow the most basic management rules. Fair, Firm, Consistent (no matter how difficult it will be). Based on previous employer standards, I don't know how HR approves of some of your practices. Senior Management - I know profits are everything but you need to take care of your employees all the way down to the lowest.

Micro managed into the ground.

Current Employee - National Repair Technician in Saginaw, MI
    Current Employee - National Repair Technician in Saginaw, MI

I have been working at XO Communications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The "sink or swim" training creates a camaraderie with the other team members who have been through the process. The company does provide paid national holidays.

Cons

There is internal strife between departments, which creates an us versus them mentality. Employees are judged on a full gamut of miniscule details. The under performing employees are given the easier assignments and the top performing employees are rewarded with the most difficult assignments. The metrics, which each employee is required to maintain, does not change. This micro management is then carried over to the yearly review and, if the wage freeze has been lifted, applied to your raise.

Advice to Management

Enough with the micro management and stop creating a culture that hinders the growth of your employees.

Xo sucks out your soul, wont give raises and makes up new terms to spin the reason why.

I have been working at XO Communications full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

People you work with, besides that None left, they have taken everything.

Cons

Beyond unacceptable medical coverage, they find ways around giving everyone a "salary adjustment". Play with words to make it sound correct. Human Resources is the biggest joke in the company. Hourly jobs seem to being laid off, but friends of a certain director in SAGINAW seem to loose their SENIOR MANAGEMENT jobs just to find another high paying position. Why don't that ever happen to an hourly person. No advancement opportunities. Managers get recognition, person doing the work gets nothing, no compensation, award. mangers under the impression the "Work Environment" or this weeks spin word "CULTURE" at XO is great. wake up free coffee don't make anyone that happy, we want money. Over 5 years and no raise, come on. Get your head out of the SAND.

Advice to Management

Many people been with the company for years, time to pay out some compensation. Stop traveling we don't want to see your "show" its all tall tales. Were told to shut up and not say anything. Ethical my ass.

More Pros than Cons

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saginaw, MI

Pros

Great work/life balance. You get 10 vacation days, 5 floating holiday's, and 5 sick days in your first year. Vacation goes up to 15 days after your 3rd year. Wellness program - XO will pay you up to $400.00 each year to purchase exercise equipment, to join a gym or exercise program. Good work environment - laid back most of the time. Lot's of work events such as Biggest Loser walking contests, special days such as coffee days and popcorn days. They have a great take your child to work day with things for the kids to do and learn, one year they had a interviewing skills contest, which actually helped my child when they interviewed for job that summer. Usually business casual dress - but we have a lot of casual days and weeks - Friday's are always casual. Can be a fun place to work

Cons

Low pay - with no raises - even though upper management will get their bonus no matter what. Little to no room for advancement. There are a lot of employees who have been here 10-15 years. To advance you have to be friends with the managers. If you are not in "the group" you have no way to advance. Upper management - Especially Sr. Mangers, Directors, VP and above have no understanding of what the real employees jobs are. They keep changing how the teams are set up - each time it makes less sense than the time before. No real understanding of what will help the customers.

Advice to Management

Get involved in what we really do every day. Sit with your employees - listen to them - then do something about it. We know what will work and can help fix the situation; You just don't give us a voice. Come out of your offices and walk around the center - I don't care if you are the VP or a director - we'd like to see you every once in awhile. We are busy too, however you make time for what’s important to you. Maybe the VP could actually show up in the office from time to time. We get tired of only see her assistant.

RSS Feed </> Embed