XO Group

XO Group Reviews

Updated March 1, 2015
Updated March 1, 2015

Mike Steib

Pros
  • I never thought I'd have a job in NYC that gave me a work/life balance, but this is it (in 14 reviews)

• flexible hours or work from home (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • better work life balance for employees (in 5 reviews)

• Most upper management have jumped ship or were let go (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

XO Group has a fantastic atmosphere that is extremely desireable to work in, but unfortunately pay is horrible.

Current Employee - Advertising in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Advertising in New York, NY

I have been working at XO Group full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good culture & work-life balance, perks, open door policy of leadership team

Cons

Horrible pay, no negotiations for salary

Consider paying employees more to retain people for longer instead of so much turnover

Product manager

Former Employee - Product Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Product Manager in New York, NY

I worked at XO Group

Pros

Interesting and fun editorial focus, who doesn't love weddings and babies? Smart peers, executives are approachable.

Cons

No career development or training. Pay is average, but don't expect raises or regular reviews. Upper management likes the constant turnover... Not a place to stay long term.

Focus on career development and your employees.

Meh.

I worked at XO Group full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I worked with some of the best people. There was definitely an effort to make it a "fun" place to work.

Cons

Unfortunately, I was WAY underpaid for my position and the long hours that were required.

Hard work pays off, until a point.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at XO Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I learned a tremendous amount during my time at XO Group. I was able to switch roles based on the quality of my output and tenure. I had some great managers and a few crappy ones, but everyone has a few of those. The sky felt like the limit if I wanted it to be and if you want to grow you can really challenge yourself to make that a reality. There's so much you can do to bring positive change you'll never have nothing to do. I've worked with some really smart and talented people throughout the company as well, however the personnel makeup is changing and I'm indifferent if it's for better or worse (pardon the wedding pun).

Cons

Unfortunately after being at the company a 1/3 of its life I did hit a ceiling, more from an HR side. I watched new staff come in with big titles and big salaries, and those who had been there were still "fighting" to be paid market. People stay because they enjoy the product and/or the challenge, but ultimately they leave because people can make more elsewhere with a lot less stress and still grow. The culture is sink or swim, which happens to help weed out below average performers quickly so I personally liked it, but you have to be able to thrive in it or you may not be a culture fit.

HR practices of the past need to be thrown out entirely, especially around compensation and motivation. Allow frontline managers to have budgets that can be used to motivate their teams in a way that connects with that team's culture (i.e. many people on my team were disinterested in happy hours because they were more fitness oriented). Trust your managers are doing their best to prioritize, if they escalate that people are getting burnt out or a team needs more resources have HR help solve the problem instead of "there's no budget" coming down from the top. These types of changes will mitigate employees and managers from feeling trapped and ultimately feel they need to leave to escape.

Great environment but very demanding

Former Employee - Sales Executive in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Sales Executive in Atlanta, GA

I worked at XO Group

Pros

Flexibility, great regional management, compensation

Cons

Unreasonable expectations in certain markets

Unorganized, no motivation or career advancement

I worked at XO Group full-time (more than a year)

Pros

1 - Snacks but even that has gone down hill. It started with huge variety and stocked often. Then it became just really dull and boring snacks that no one wants.
    2 - Salary if you are lucky to negotiate a fair salary otherwise you are screwed
    3 - Decent/flexible hours

Cons

1 - Appreciation, acknowledgment, annual raises, bonuses, anything that involves recognizing and rewarding good work is none existent. Super low annual raise that is not even on par of inflation rate. Titles are meaningless, and promises are never fulfilled.

2 - Most of their positive app review is reviewed by their own employees. If you took those away the rest is 1-2 star reviews of how their apps really is. It is very sad that if they have 1 - 2 star reviews, they ask employees within the company to rate it 5 star. If your apps is good you should never need to do that.

3 - Smiliarly to #2, they also ask us to give 5 star reviews on Glassdoor!

4 - Manager titles are given because of them staying at the company long, not earned. There are many managers who can not manage if their life depended on it.

5 - Only lifers and non-talented people stay, everyone who has talent realize what XO really is and quickly leave.

Promote managers who are worthy of that title. Too many cooks in the kitchen. If your company is good and your apps is good, no need to have your employees rate them. Get rid of useless talent, dont just stick them somewhere.

Working at the Knot was a joke

Former Employee - Strategy Specialist in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Strategy Specialist in Omaha, NE

I worked at XO Group

Pros

Decent hours and pay, some of the employees tried to be helpful.

Cons

Virtually no training, very disorganized and management barely spoke 2 words to me the whole time I was there. They threw a "mentor" at me who was too concerned about getting her own work done, making the job that much more difficult to learn. The office was nothing but cliques.

Try to be more personable and actually help new hires learn the job.

It's ALL a facade

Former Employee - Tech in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Tech in New York, NY

I worked at XO Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The views can be inspiring but even become the ONLY source of motivation.

Cons

Cut your teeth or die trying. So much emphasis on the superficial and the novelty, but there are no real leaders, just big titles, and no confidence in workflow, procedure and no consistency. The turnover speaks volumes and those there with any type of seniority couldn't cut elsewhere. If your strategy and methods are akin to throwing darts, this place is for you.

Advice to Management, with that arrogance? Clearly they have it figured out.

Dishonest, rude, nightmare.

I worked at XO Group full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Lots of work, some of it interesting

Cons

Nightmare. Avoid. Micromanaging to the extreme, from the top down. A revolving door of employees culled by semi-annual layoffs, not based on job performance. Acceptance into the core clique is the only thing that insures job security. There's no morale, since employees are trying to screw each other over to keep their position. The success of the company stems exclusively from acquisitions of competitors, not because of management or a great product.

Editorial department is a huge mess

Former Employee - Editor in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Editor in New York, NY

I worked at XO Group full-time

Pros

Coworkers are great. My peers were always willing to work hard and had awesome ideas, unfortunately upper management doesn't give them a chance to explore those ideas and things are done the way they always have been. The unlimited vacation is awesome too.

Cons

Where to even start....Pay is abysmal for online editorial, way lower than other online editorial positions. Editorial team is very discouraged from working from home (told "we don't really do that here"). Online editorial management is disorganized and all over the place (frequently admitted to having no idea what's going on, never available for feedback or questions). I didn't ever feel like I was learning anything, just inputting copy onto the site with no feedback or guidance. Questions and concerns went ignored. I never felt like a my work was worth anything or like I was a valued member of the team. There's a reason editorial turnover is so high, but nobody seems willing to figure out those reasons and change something.

There should be new editorial management. Current management seems to be afraid of new ideas and is unaware of how the web and online content is changing.