XO Group Reviews

Updated March 23, 2015
121 reviews filtered by
Mike Steib

Pros
  • I never thought I'd have a job in NYC that gave me a work/life balance, but this is it (in 14 reviews)

• flexible hours or work from home (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • better work life balance for employees (in 5 reviews)

• Most upper management have jumped ship or were let go (in 7 reviews)

1. Fun place to intern, one of the few paid magazine internships

Former Employee - Intern
    Former Employee - Intern

I worked at XO Group

Pros

happy hour Thursday, fun intern specific events

Cons

typical magazine internship downsides, but you just get through it... not really a con in this industry

2. Interned for a year...

Former Intern - E-Commerce Marketing in New York, NY
    Former Intern - E-Commerce Marketing in New York, NY

I worked at XO Group as an intern (more than a year)

Pros

Great people, fun atmosphere, nice office

Cons

Some people are a bit clich-y (especially in the Fashion department), no forward mobility for employment

A great place to work, and getting better all the time.

I have been working at XO Group full-time (more than a year)

Pros

This is the best team I've ever worked with. Super-smart, dedicated, fun, and they understand the business, top to bottom. It's a very inclusive and collaborative environment -- especially in the past 6-9 months, it seems like any remaining silos have been knocked down, and everyone, across all departments, works incredibly well together. Plus we have a ton of fun, both on and off the clock.

I really feel like this isn't a job, but a career, with lots of room to grow. The work/life balance is great (no work emails on nights or weekends! woot!). There is a mentorship program, a Learn@XO club that hosts guest speakers and book clubs and webinars, and a Leadership training program. I'm hoping to be here a long time.

(PS: there's free coffee.)

Cons

We could do a better job working across our various office locations -- I don't get enough exposure to the other teams, and people sometimes complain that New York feels like a different company.

Please keep reinforcing our new mission + vision. It'll really boost everyone's confidence in the future of our company. But if it stops being visible, and stops being a part of our daily lives, it'll feel like so many other frivolous marketing exercises that we've all seen before.

Oh, and keep that stock price rising! Big fan of that trend.

5. XO Group has a fantastic atmosphere that is extremely desireable to work in, but unfortunately pay is horrible.

Current Employee - Advertising in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Advertising in New York, NY

I have been working at XO Group full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good culture & work-life balance, perks, open door policy of leadership team

Cons

Horrible pay, no negotiations for salary

Consider paying employees more to retain people for longer instead of so much turnover

Meh.

I worked at XO Group full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I worked with some of the best people. There was definitely an effort to make it a "fun" place to work.

Cons

Unfortunately, I was WAY underpaid for my position and the long hours that were required.

7. Product manager

Former Employee - Product Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Product Manager in New York, NY

I worked at XO Group

Pros

Interesting and fun editorial focus, who doesn't love weddings and babies? Smart peers, executives are approachable.

Cons

No career development or training. Pay is average, but don't expect raises or regular reviews. Upper management likes the constant turnover... Not a place to stay long term.

Focus on career development and your employees.

Hard work pays off, until a point.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at XO Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I learned a tremendous amount during my time at XO Group. I was able to switch roles based on the quality of my output and tenure. I had some great managers and a few crappy ones, but everyone has a few of those. The sky felt like the limit if I wanted it to be and if you want to grow you can really challenge yourself to make that a reality. There's so much you can do to bring positive change you'll never have nothing to do. I've worked with some really smart and talented people throughout the company as well, however the personnel makeup is changing and I'm indifferent if it's for better or worse (pardon the wedding pun).

Cons

Unfortunately after being at the company a 1/3 of its life I did hit a ceiling, more from an HR side. I watched new staff come in with big titles and big salaries, and those who had been there were still "fighting" to be paid market. People stay because they enjoy the product and/or the challenge, but ultimately they leave because people can make more elsewhere with a lot less stress and still grow. The culture is sink or swim, which happens to help weed out below average performers quickly so I personally liked it, but you have to be able to thrive in it or you may not be a culture fit.

HR practices of the past need to be thrown out entirely, especially around compensation and motivation. Allow frontline managers to have budgets that can be used to motivate their teams in a way that connects with that team's culture (i.e. many people on my team were disinterested in happy hours because they were more fitness oriented). Trust your managers are doing their best to prioritize, if they escalate that people are getting burnt out or a team needs more resources have HR help solve the problem instead of "there's no budget" coming down from the top. These types of changes will mitigate employees and managers from feeling trapped and ultimately feel they need to leave to escape.

9. Great environment but very demanding

Former Employee - Sales Executive in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Sales Executive in Atlanta, GA

I worked at XO Group

Pros

Flexibility, great regional management, compensation

Cons

Unreasonable expectations in certain markets

It's a mess!

I have been working at XO Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I loved this company when I first started and really believed in the product and services . Initially great team spirit and really felt that you were a valued member of the team.

Cons

High turnover, long hours, lack of communication, direction, and integrity. So little communication from corporate office and a general feeling that they really don't care. "Like it or leave mentality"

Value your employees and listen to what they have to say - good ones are hard to find. Improve the brand and products...remember to think about your customer - they also need to be respected.

Working at the Knot was a joke

Former Employee - Strategy Specialist in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Strategy Specialist in Omaha, NE

I worked at XO Group

Pros

Decent hours and pay, some of the employees tried to be helpful.

Cons

Virtually no training, very disorganized and management barely spoke 2 words to me the whole time I was there. They threw a "mentor" at me who was too concerned about getting her own work done, making the job that much more difficult to learn. The office was nothing but cliques.

Try to be more personable and actually help new hires learn the job.