XO Group Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.9
Mike Steib

Pros
  • There is a great work/life balance at XO (in 14 reviews)

• flexible hours or work from home (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • better work life balance for employees (in 5 reviews)

• Most upper management have jumped ship or were let go (in 7 reviews)

1. Featured Review

A great place to work, and getting better all the time.

I have been working at XO Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This is the best team I've ever worked with. Super-smart, dedicated, fun, and they understand the business, top to bottom. It's a very inclusive and collaborative environment -- especially in the past 6-9 months, it seems like any remaining silos have been knocked down, and everyone, across all departments, works incredibly well together. Plus we have a ton of fun, both on and off the clock. I really feel like this isn't a job, but a career, with lots of room to grow. The work/life balance is great (no work emails on nights or weekends! woot!). There is a mentorship program, a Learn@XO club that hosts guest speakers and book clubs and webinars, and a Leadership training program. I'm hoping to be here a long time. (PS: there's free coffee.)

Cons

We could do a better job working across our various office locations -- I don't get enough exposure to the other teams, and people sometimes complain that New York feels like a different company.

Advice to Management

Please keep reinforcing our new mission + vision. It'll really boost everyone's confidence in the future of our company. But if it stops being visible, and stops being a part of our daily lives, it'll feel like so many other frivolous marketing exercises that we've all seen before. Oh, and keep that stock price rising! Big fan of that trend.

2. Welcoming, fun, hardworking bunch.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at XO Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There's a lot to learn- from self development workshops and goal setting TO interesting presentations by industry leading executives. Happy hours every Thursday! And other team bonding activities. I haven't come across someone who doesn't work hard at their job.

Cons

No free subway pass, but I guess everything can't be free.

Advice to Management

Promote with in! - This is definitely already done in certain departments but could be done more often.

Cool company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Pros

Friendly environment, interesting work, and competitive salary.

Cons

There's been a decent amount of turnover since I started here.

Fun on the move company

I have been working at XO Group full-time

Pros

The people are great, company is working hard to transform, it is an exciting time to join. Lots to do but making great progress.

Cons

With growth in team, there are some typical growing pains but they will get figured out. Folks are ready and willing to help when a team effort is needed.

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on management training. Keep it fun.

Strong product-centric company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at XO Group (Less than a year)

Pros

Team-oriented, Good compensation, Nice people

Cons

Relentless responsibility Long hours Little structure

Buzzwords, but no direction

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at XO Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fun co-workers (most of them anyway), free soda & snacks. Within walking distance of some good places to eat. The office manager takes really good care of making sure that all supplies are kept well stocked.

Cons

Management is filled with control freaks who like to throw buzzwords like "ownership" around, but cannot tell you what to do take "ownership." Directors lay blame on employees for project lag, when employees have no guidance on what needs to be completed or how to go about completing them. Tasks are thrown about and after completed certain managers then say that isn't what they wanted, creating more work for employees. Managers just know how to criticize, not give any guidance to correct the problem. If you want to work in a toxic, back-stabbing,over-worked & over-whelming atmosphere, then this is the perfect place to work.

Advice to Management

Look at the directors & senior management, some house cleaning needs to be done.

Ok for a start, but not the place for long-term employment

I have been working at XO Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

• Medical / Dental / Vision coverage is good. • Work-from-Home flexibility. • Unlimited time off. • Nice office space (lots of windows with awesome views of downtown). • Game Room. • Unlimited (& FREE) snacks, coffee, fresh fruit, oatmeal, sodas and water provided for employees.

Cons

• Very, very much like a high school environment where everyone is in their own cliques and exclusive. • Long work hours in and out of the office. 9-6 means nothing. • Management uses you, works you to your absolute max (maybe even a little past your max limit) and burns you out. • Extremely high employee turnover. Constant team changes that become disruptive to overall productivity. • Most managers don't know how to manager. They need "management training". They're thrown into the manager role with little to no training. • Your ideas and thoughts are only taken into consideration if you're a manager or above. • Open space office. No privacy, no physical separation between people. You barely have enough room for your computer, phone and laptop launch pad. Forget putting pictures up of your family / friends / pets and definitely forget being able to do any other personalization for your work area.. There's no room.

Advice to Management

• Provide formal management training for your managers. And promote for the right reasons. They shouldn't be promoted based on how "likeable" they are or pushed through the "assembly line" because the next position above theirs is "open" and they happen to be "next in line". • Give people more of an incentive to stay for longer than 1, 2 or 3 years.

XO Group Response

Aug 26, 2015 – Director of Talent Acquisition

Hi there, thank you so much for your feedback! We're a bit surprised you didn't know, but we started mandatory manager training last July (2014), which has been broadly communicated across the ... More

Challenging and Improving All The Time

I have been working at XO Group full-time

Pros

There's lots of room for growth. If you want to learn and improve, there are the resources to do it. Plus, there are a lot of very smart, fun people who make it a pleasure to come to work everyday. The work can be tough and challenging at times but the work we do is real and meaningful.

Cons

A lot of changes among management and organization over the years have changed the culture and left some of us feeling uneasy and unsure about our future.

Advice to Management

We have a lot of smart, young people at the lower to middle management level. Listen to their ideas and find more ways to include them.

It's progressively gotten better and better

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at XO Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Love the people I work with -HR cares about growth and happiness -CEO has made major improvements to the culture since starting -Fun atmosphere

Cons

-Benefits could be more affordable, but that comes with a small company -Open floor plan creates a loud environment -Lack of meeting space and quiet work spaces -Not much personal space between co-workers -Raises are hard to come by, even when you get a promotion, but process seems to be improving since I started a few years ago

Advice to Management

-Create more quiet spaces for people to work or encourage some work-from-home flexibility -The cost of living increases EVERY year. Everything gets more expensive, yet I have to fight for a decent raise, even when I earn a promotion. Not cool.

Excellent Lifestyle Company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE

I have been working at XO Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great, friendly work environment. Everyone is really supportive and the company is very pro-family. They work hard to show employee appreciation and goals are clear cut.

Cons

Not a lot of mobility in the Omaha office. The workflow is steady, but there are slow periods where there's very little to do. Other times it's so busy the overtime is just killer.

RSS Feed </> Embed