XO Group

XO Group Reviews

Updated November 25, 2014
Updated November 25, 2014

Mike Steib

Pros
  • I never thought I'd have a job in NYC that gave me a work/life balance, but this is it (in 14 reviews)

• flexible hours or work from home (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • better work life balance for employees (in 5 reviews)

• Most upper management have jumped ship or were let go (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

It was just ok

I worked at XO Group

Pros

Beautiful office space and unlimited vacation

Cons

I've never worked at a company with so much turnover. Everyone was unhappy and trying to leave. Salaries were not great, especially for edit.

Innovative company with great vision

Current Employee - Software Engineering Director in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Software Engineering Director in New York, NY

I have been working at XO Group full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

There is a great work/life balance at XO. The technology dept is willing to take chances and try out new technologies. There is really good collaboration between tech and product groups. The execs have a strong vision of the future of this company

Cons

There are alot of products to manage. Timelines can be tight, especially during the end of the year.

Continue to trust individual contributors. Invest more in increasing staffing.

Dysfunctional and poor compensation

Former Employee - Advertising in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Advertising in New York, NY

I worked at XO Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you like the subject matter, you should work for XO Group (weddings, babies, newlyweds). Otherwise, stay away.

Cons

The office culture is purposely "sink or swim" - they pride themselves on being cutthroat, and not even for the right reasons. The founder is often described as a tyrant behind closed doors, and even online, and she delights in being feared by her employees around her. If someone is looking for growth, this is not the company for you. Is someone is looking for fair compensation, this is not the company for you. In fact, I recently learned that the company was so worried about their negative reviews that they told employees they MUST write positive reviews of the company for recruitment purposes. The culture is one of feat and everyone discusses it but is too afraid to speak against it particularly as they lose business thanks to new websites and apps that they run smear campaigns against.

Try to value your employees more - take a cue from your new CEO who is improving your culture. Removal of one founder isn't enough, try both.

Avoid at all costs

Current Employee - Product/Tech
    Current Employee - Product/Tech

I have been working at XO Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The Knot was a right place/right time company that has sustained because of one reason, the brand. Because the brand is so powerful, the company has been able to survive 18 years of what could only be described as complete incompetence within the product, tech, finance and HR departments. The company executives come up with the harebrained product ideas, implement it in the sloppiest most expensive way imaginable, and because the brand is so powerful, the company manages to survives.

Cons

*No tech leadership

*Product shifts direction constantly

*Very few internal promotions or clear career development paths

*Poor benefits (expensive healthcare, smallest 401k contribution

*Culture is vicious and verbally abusive (executives will literally scream at you and threaten you with your job)

*The CEO tells people to write positive Glassdoor reviews (those are the only ones you see on here that are positive, all from the company sycophants described in the other review as "hangers on")

*The compensation structure considers all but entry level "senior level" and instead of giving raises, offers a yearly bonus that vests over 4 years. This means you would not fully realize the rewards for your efforts in 2014 until 2018.

*Technical debt is enormous which means any new idea is virtually impossible to implement

*No loyalty

Show yourselves the door

Very sad

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redding, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redding, CA

I have been working at XO Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

It was fun at first. I loved the content and products.

Cons

Most upper management have jumped ship or were let go. That sends a very bad message.

Be human and realistic. People are being asked to create large projects and are then "let go". This creates a hostile work environment. Be honest with the people who work for you.

Lots of: opportunity, change, stress, amazing people

I worked at XO Group

Pros

Hours: Flexible (but well over 40) hours per week on average
    People: Amazing - smart, funny, fun, team players
    Atmosphere: very cool office, lots of events
    Work: Opportunity to work on lots of projects not necessarily in your expertise and really grow at the company
    Vacation: Management encourages vacation and I never had any issue with time off. They've all been very supportive through some medical health issues.

Cons

Too much change: Not being a stagnant company is great, but there is way too much change with management, organization structure, and turnover.
    Unclear expectations: You're working on X project but tomorrow you could be whipped around to now focus on project Y
    Stress: people take their jobs seriously and are passionate (a pro!) but the life or death atmosphere is taxing

Clearer direction, more (genuine) compassion and resource support for ALL roles at the company (not just product/tech).

Could be great...

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at XO Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There are a few good men (and women) left, but I would be surprised if they are around a year from now.

Cons

Where to begin...

The company is run by the finance team, which stifles innovation of any kind. The "big ideas" are coming from senior managers that are trying to put a square peg in a round hole.

An interesting example is the Commerce business. It has been losing money for years. So we throw money and resources at the website, new management etc... Very little improvement. Lots of head scratching... What about the fact that we're selling the same wedding item "greatest hits" that we were 10 years ago? The few items that were added to the catalog as part of this "swinging for the fences" exercise are mostly items we are either reselling or you can get on Amazon.com for less money. We couldn't manage any product innovations of our own, despite having a completely underutilized manufacturing facility.

As others have noted, IT has grown huge. Despite that we still take every opportunity to outsource and engage outside vendors - not because we don't have the expertise, but because management continues making a vote of no confidence in their own staff. If a project goes badly, it's the vendors fault - always protecting the almighty bonus.

Most of the mangers that have been promoted from within have no management or people skills. The Peter Principal is alive and well here.

If you want to be heard, look elsewhere until the old regime is well and truly gone.

Slash and burn middle management, get out from under the thumb of the bean counters, get rid of the assessment system and start listening to the people that are actually "doing the work".

I still suffer PTSD from XO Group

I worked at XO Group full-time

Pros

The office is pretty... and that's about it.

Cons

If you thought the site was cluttered, then you definitely don't want to look inside the company. There was constant restructuring, constant title changes, and they will throw responsibility at you even though you have 0 experience in it. At one point I had 3 job titles I had assigned to me. On top of that, there are way too many stupid people who lack intelligence at this company. Development managers are not technical. Project managers do not create timelines with more than 2 dates. Product managers who are not strategic and don't even know what KPI's or MVP means. There is nothing more infuriating than being thrown under the bus by people who aren't even intelligent and say "Did you know that reality shows are not real?"
    True story.

Maybe you need to learn how to screen your candidates better. Also - you need to train your staff, you can't just promote them and expect to learn how to be a good manager. They're awful at managing down, and will advise you to "fake it till you make it." Perhaps the new CEO can turn it around, but the previous CEO left this place quite the mess.

Long hours, little pay, poor C-level

Former Employee - Assistant Editor in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Assistant Editor in New York, NY

I worked at XO Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Overall, the company tends to attract smart, hard workers that have a great deal of talent.
    They have a nice office in downtown NYC.
    You get lots of work experience quickly.

Cons

They work you long with little praise or appreciation.
    The pay is minimal.
    Management is not equipped to run editorial and does not appreciate how much the team contributes to the bottom line.
    The turnover is among the largest in the industry.

Don't waste your time here

I worked at XO Group full-time

Pros

Nice location, nice building but no space to sit inside. Everything is too tight.

Cons

Everyone sits elbows to elbows, not even a little space on desk to keep your cup of tea, that too you have to think twice if the cup is at the right place. There's no career growth here. Titles remain the same as well. According to management its just a title. The management is not supportive if you want to progress in your career. They have few old employees and they keep coming up with fancy titles for those peps and keep promoting them. Appears they are biased. Managers need some management training on how to deal with people reporting to them. The benefits sucks too.

Believe in your employees who work hard and stick around. Also get rid of this unlimited PTO. Its not really unlimited. Some employees take advantage of this while some like us keep thinking can we take days off? Its not fair. Just because you dont want to pay balance of unused timeoff dont keep coming up with fancy unlimited PTO term.