XO Group Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.9
Mike Steib

Pros
  • There is a great work/life balance at XO (in 14 reviews)

• flexible hours or work from home (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • better work life balance for employees (in 5 reviews)

• Most upper management have jumped ship or were let go (in 7 reviews)

1. Featured Review

A great place to work, and getting better all the time.

I have been working at XO Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This is the best team I've ever worked with. Super-smart, dedicated, fun, and they understand the business, top to bottom. It's a very inclusive and collaborative environment -- especially in the past 6-9 months, it seems like any remaining silos have been knocked down, and everyone, across all departments, works incredibly well together. Plus we have a ton of fun, both on and off the clock. I really feel like this isn't a job, but a career, with lots of room to grow. The work/life balance is great (no work emails on nights or weekends! woot!). There is a mentorship program, a Learn@XO club that hosts guest speakers and book clubs and webinars, and a Leadership training program. I'm hoping to be here a long time. (PS: there's free coffee.)

Cons

We could do a better job working across our various office locations -- I don't get enough exposure to the other teams, and people sometimes complain that New York feels like a different company.

Advice to Management

Please keep reinforcing our new mission + vision. It'll really boost everyone's confidence in the future of our company. But if it stops being visible, and stops being a part of our daily lives, it'll feel like so many other frivolous marketing exercises that we've all seen before. Oh, and keep that stock price rising! Big fan of that trend.

2. Fun on the move company

I have been working at XO Group full-time

Pros

The people are great, company is working hard to transform, it is an exciting time to join. Lots to do but making great progress.

Cons

With growth in team, there are some typical growing pains but they will get figured out. Folks are ready and willing to help when a team effort is needed.

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on management training. Keep it fun.

3. Strong product-centric company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at XO Group (Less than a year)

Pros

Team-oriented, Good compensation, Nice people

Cons

Relentless responsibility Long hours Little structure

Ok for a start, but not the place for long-term employment

I have been working at XO Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

• Medical / Dental / Vision coverage is good. • Work-from-Home flexibility. • Unlimited time off. • Nice office space (lots of windows with awesome views of downtown). • Game Room. • Unlimited (& FREE) snacks, coffee, fresh fruit, oatmeal, sodas and water provided for employees.

Cons

• Very, very much like a high school environment where everyone is in their own cliques and exclusive. • Long work hours in and out of the office. 9-6 means nothing. • Management uses you, works you to your absolute max (maybe even a little past your max limit) and burns you out. • Extremely high employee turnover. Constant team changes that become disruptive to overall productivity. • Most managers don't know how to manager. They need "management training". They're thrown into the manager role with little to no training. • Your ideas and thoughts are only taken into consideration if you're a manager or above. • Open space office. No privacy, no physical separation between people. You barely have enough room for your computer, phone and laptop launch pad. Forget putting pictures up of your family / friends / pets and definitely forget being able to do any other personalization for your work area.. There's no room.

Advice to Management

• Provide formal management training for your managers. And promote for the right reasons. They shouldn't be promoted based on how "likeable" they are or pushed through the "assembly line" because the next position above theirs is "open" and they happen to be "next in line". • Give people more of an incentive to stay for longer than 1, 2 or 3 years.

Challenging and Improving All The Time

I have been working at XO Group full-time

Pros

There's lots of room for growth. If you want to learn and improve, there are the resources to do it. Plus, there are a lot of very smart, fun people who make it a pleasure to come to work everyday. The work can be tough and challenging at times but the work we do is real and meaningful.

Cons

A lot of changes among management and organization over the years have changed the culture and left some of us feeling uneasy and unsure about our future.

Advice to Management

We have a lot of smart, young people at the lower to middle management level. Listen to their ideas and find more ways to include them.

It's progressively gotten better and better

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at XO Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Love the people I work with -HR cares about growth and happiness -CEO has made major improvements to the culture since starting -Fun atmosphere

Cons

-Benefits could be more affordable, but that comes with a small company -Open floor plan creates a loud environment -Lack of meeting space and quiet work spaces -Not much personal space between co-workers -Raises are hard to come by, even when you get a promotion, but process seems to be improving since I started a few years ago

Advice to Management

-Create more quiet spaces for people to work or encourage some work-from-home flexibility -The cost of living increases EVERY year. Everything gets more expensive, yet I have to fight for a decent raise, even when I earn a promotion. Not cool.

Excellent Lifestyle Company

I have been working at XO Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great, friendly work environment. Everyone is really supportive and the company is very pro-family. They work hard to show employee appreciation and goals are clear cut.

Cons

Not a lot of mobility in the Omaha office. The workflow is steady, but there are slow periods where there's very little to do. Other times it's so busy the overtime is just killer.

9. Great fun place to work

I worked at XO Group

Pros

nice people fun environment everyone is helpful

Cons

office is quiet open so you can hear and see just about everyone

Director

I worked at XO Group full-time

Pros

Fun place to work. Had that "cool" feel to it.

Cons

Upper management was a nightmare. Lots of turnover, management that did not understand technology, "old school" business methods, poor acquisition decisions. Benefits started out great but over time seemed to benefit those on the upper pay scale.

Advice to Management

Looks like a lot of upper management has started to be replaced; which might help...might.

11. Work Hard, Play Hard

I have been working at XO Group full-time

Pros

Always striving to be the best in our industry

Cons

Not always maintaining current products

RSS Feed </> Embed