XPRIZE Reviews

Peter H. Diamandis

A Dream Job Come True

Current Employee - Senior Director in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Director in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at XPRIZE full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I get to work with talented interesting people on projects that make the World a better place. I get to wear jeans to work every day and work in a relaxed and engaging atmosphere. I get a comfortable office and pleasant coworkers and I actually get paid to do things that I want to do. I get respect and autonomy without being overworked and every day is a new and exciting challenge. I'm happy.

Cons

In my wanderings around the office, I often encounter people who are doing even more interesting projects that I am, but I can't just drop what I'm doing and join their team. The ever-present supply of fruit, snacks, and beverages in the kitchen is making it difficult for me not to gain weight. I still haven't figured out how to get one of those cool XPRIZE jackets.

Advice to Management

Work on putting more efficient processes, technology and systems in place to make it easier for employees to get everything done more quickly. Need to work on orientation of new hires to make sure they get all the information and connections that they need right away.

Great people, fast growing company undergoing a lot of positive (even if sometimes difficult) change

Current Employee - Project Manager
    Current Employee - Project Manager

I have been working at XPRIZE

Pros

Dedicated staff that is smart, fun, conscientious, and hard-working. Leadership team that is activated and focused on making XPRIZE a great place to work. Benefits, salary.

Cons

There are those within the organization who, understandably, feel like change cannot happen fast enough. Growing from a small organization focused on a cause, to one that is also concerned with how to support staff, be well-managed, organized, and put in place the systems and processes to support the rapidly growing staff, has been a difficult process for some.

Advice to Management

Continue reaching out to all staff, frequently, honestly, openly. You cannot over communicate! The more the better. Build personal relationships with staff.

The Majority of Us LOVE XPRIZE!

Current Employee - Joe Employee in Culver City, CA
    Current Employee - Joe Employee in Culver City, CA

I have been working at XPRIZE full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great location and office space. Flex work schedule with telecommuting options. Awesome benefits. Generous salary. Team Council. Peer-to-peer bonus program. Stocked kitchen. Great mission - we really are trying to change the world, oh...and it's working.

Cons

The small - very small - number of negative and disgruntled employees. They are SMALL but LOUD. They have been provided multiple avenues of communication (both in person and anonymous), but they seem more comfortable posting on a review site. If they really want to see change, they would be more professional and address it head on, rather than choose a cowardly path. And sadly, they what they say isn't even accurate. If they are going to come here and trash this amazing company, at least be honest. Oh wait. That wouldn't work - because there wouldn't be anything negative to say. If they are so unhappy, really, they should leave. Be part of the solution, or get off the train. The rest of us are excited to move forward, upward, and onward.

Advice to Management

The leadership team is to be commended for constantly placing themselves in the line of fire. As one said in an all staff, "We are building the airplane and flying it at the same time," well...that is TRUE. And it comes with growing pains and is sometimes a slow process. A lot of us are in it for the long haul, and we are very patient. Somebody said in another post that "no change" has happened. Not true and a blatant lie. Since they first announced the survey, we have been give a flex time policy, a telecommuting policy, a peer-to-peer bonus program, and more. Perhaps they are so busy gossiping and complaining, and conspiring, that they did not notice.

LOVE IT HERE!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at XPRIZE full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Unbelievable mission. Super smart colleagues Great work environment. Constantly striving to be a better place to work

Cons

We are a culture in change. Change as we all know isn't always easy. There are speed bumps along the way but collectively we ar moving in the right direction

Advice to Management

stay the course and continue to listen and be challenged by your Team.

Maturing and growing in an exciting field

I have been working at XPRIZE

Pros

Exposure to world class thinkers, visionary leaders and fascinating concepts and challenges. Huge sense of impacting the world and making a difference. Maturing organization that is self critical, learning and evolving.

Cons

Suffers from mission creep, still learning how to pare down to key strategic initiatives, building the muscle to say no to "new, exciting" projects and to develop organizational discipline. Getting better, but still further to go.

Advice to Management

Empower the new leadership and focus on successfully completing the active X PRIZE competitions and designing and launching new X PRIZE competitions. Do less, stay focussed, do it better.

Lots of potential

I have been working at XPRIZE full-time

Pros

*Management focused on team building. Company President very approachable and wants to hear from employees. *Compelling company mission. Nice 401K, Health Benefits and vacation/sick day package.

Cons

Very departmentalized. There is a perceived hierarchy in which team members believe, because they are in a certain department, they are above all other team members and they are the only ones doing work matters. Some prize ideas being developed are not innovative! some already being tested in market place. Stagnancy, need more training and promotion from within.

Advice to Management

Continue the Team Building. Recognize the assets you have and train and utilize them! Be present and prepared. While I understand the need for meetings sometimes less is more.

X MARKS THE SPOT!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hermitage, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hermitage, TN

I have been working at XPRIZE (Less than a year)

Pros

all good people and company...they care

Cons

THERE ARE NO CONS NONE

Advice to Management

im impressed with all the organization

Exciting concept, questionable execution.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Playa Vista, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Playa Vista, CA

I worked at XPRIZE full-time

Pros

Great people, exposure to stimulating ideas and experiences, relaxed work environment. Most people seem very engaged and committed to their work. The organization is attempting to take on massive global issues and isnot afraid to "think big" or "outside the box"

Cons

Difficult and slow to execute on everything. Even the simplest tasks and processes require massive amounts of red tape. Leadership is split between two very different management philosophies which rarely coincide and create problems for trying to execute on objectives.

I miss many of the people, but none of the dysfunction.

Former Employee - Manager in Culver City, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in Culver City, CA

I worked at XPRIZE

Pros

Some talented, inspiring and hard working folks can be found here. People you wish you could spend more time with. People who get your intellectual jokes and snarks because they're smart. People you learn from. People who care about making a difference in the world. The people you meet, particularly the Teams, are all amazing people. Decent benefits package and perks, good salaries.

Cons

To survive here and not be part of the massive turnover (just see how many people list this on linkedin) you need to find a way to keep your head down and minimize your interactions with senior management and marketing. Toeing the line is rewarded. To avoid being extremely frustrated by the double standards, questionable use of performance review tactics, unethical behavior by the leadership, tortuously slow marcom execution with huge budgets and the fact that many senior management don't actually have appropriate expertise or experience....just go into this knowing that these things are the norm. I know its tempting to think that you might be able to change it, because, holy moly, this organization could be incredible if a few people were removed and a few things changed....but that will lead to tears.

Advice to Management

Bring in an outside organization to do an independent workplace audit of the company. And when it tells you that there are management problems and provides recommendations, listen.

The idea is great, but the workplace is not inspiring.

I have been working at XPRIZE

Pros

Being a part of big ideas, and helping make them happen Competition and competitors are inspiring Unique opportunities A well-connected company

Cons

Poor management Low salaries for most employees (but high salaries for upper management) Disorganization Unreasonable expectations Big egos Constant struggle for budget on projects

Advice to Management

Trust your employees to do the job you hired them for.

RSS Feed </> Embed