XPRIZE Reviews

Updated March 8, 2015
22 reviews filtered by
1.7
Peter H. Diamandis

1. To the Board: "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

I have been working at XPRIZE full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This could be an incredible company, great people trying to do great things.

Cons

To many to mention again, we are all on repeat here.

We need a fresh start.

I miss many of the people, but none of the dysfunction.

Former Employee - Manager in Culver City, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in Culver City, CA

I worked at XPRIZE

Pros

Some talented, inspiring and hard working folks can be found here. People you wish you could spend more time with. People who get your intellectual jokes and snarks because they're smart. People you learn from. People who care about making a difference in the world.
    The people you meet, particularly the Teams, are all amazing people.
    Decent benefits package and perks, good salaries.

Cons

To survive here and not be part of the massive turnover (just see how many people list this on linkedin) you need to find a way to keep your head down and minimize your interactions with senior management and marketing. Toeing the line is rewarded. To avoid being extremely frustrated by the double standards, questionable use of performance review tactics, unethical behavior by the leadership, tortuously slow marcom execution with huge budgets and the fact that many senior management don't actually have appropriate expertise or experience....just go into this knowing that these things are the norm. I know its tempting to think that you might be able to change it, because, holy moly, this organization could be incredible if a few people were removed and a few things changed....but that will lead to tears.

Bring in an outside organization to do an independent workplace audit of the company. And when it tells you that there are management problems and provides recommendations, listen.

Oh Come, Oh Come my Guardian Angel!

Current Employee - Senior Director in Culver City, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Director in Culver City, CA

I have been working at XPRIZE full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Honestly, don't see any perks.

Cons

I don't even know where to start? Before coming to work for X Prize I heard a lot of great things about the company. This perception started quickly fading day after the day, since I started witnessing more and more anomalies and corruption. But, hey, wait we have HR to solve most of these issues, which sounds so assuring when you talk to them. In reality HR does not car!!!
    Many employees, including me heard HR saying(thinking out loud):"IF THEY DON'T LIKE IT HERE,THEY SHOULD GO FIND ANOTHER JOB". What a horrible unethical thing to say.

In my opinion it is simply fascism. People complain because first of all HR does not do anything to improve their condition. Hmmm...., maybe they don't know how to?

HR also asks employees to write positive reviews on glassdoor. Oh my God! How far and low they can go? Did I say UNPROFESSIONAL?

Add UNETHICAL to that!

Resign immediately if you care about well being of employees.

Believe in the idea…Horrible Management!

Current Employee - Mid-Level Manager in Culver City, CA
    Current Employee - Mid-Level Manager in Culver City, CA

I have been working at XPRIZE full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The foundation closes for almost 2 weeks during the holiday season but of course there is a catch--nothing is truly free I guess. The general staff seems to get along with one another; although I believe its because misery loves company. Unless you are an upper level executive, there aren't many perks to working here. Every now and again they feed us snacks and serve us beverages under the guise of fostering team morale but what they don't realize is that most of us look at those attempts in disdain because it feels like they are trying to compensate for not putting much effort into really putting together programs that the staff would appreciate.

Cons

Where to begin. Like most of the comments about this company, it starts at management and works its way down.

The upper two executives - one who shows little to know patience and is way too condescending and the other who is basically never dialed in to the staff and shows up every now and again to shoot an interview. The rest of “upper” management are all way to over-paid for their limited contributions and ALL of them have issues, unprofessional and foul-mouthed, untrustworthy, earning a salary and not knowing your job, pompous and full of yourself, etc…and let's not forget the in-fighting. What is most bothersome is that it could really be a great company if someone would just take a stand and get new management in there.

It's like that old adage of doing the same thing and expecting a different result. Same management….same results year after year.

RUN don’t walk to the nearest “any other company” and save yourself the headache of having to find another job. Remember, if you get a job here, one of the people I just mentioned will be your boss.

Why bother - they don't care.

6. Proud To Work at XPRIZE

I have been working at XPRIZE full-time (more than a year)

Pros

1. This job has provided great work-life balance.
    2. Benefits and compensation packages that rival for-profit companies.
    3. Beautiful work space.
    4. Doing work that matters.
    5. Plenty of opportunities to get involved.

Cons

Negative personalities from disgruntled employees who constantly complain. If they focused less on problems, they could actually be part of the solution. Maybe they are coming from a place of passion, of really wanting this to be the best possible place, but that is not the way to do it. I've worked many places, and they really have no idea how good we have it here.

Some people in management roles are the ones who complain about XPRIZE. That trickles down to staff. So to upper management, I would seriously take a look at who is doing that.

I know most of the employees are working really, really hard, and the majority of us LOVE OUR JOBS! Unfortunately, I think the negative people are louder.

Unfortunate management, no hope of change

I worked at XPRIZE full-time

Pros

Some of the employees are truly talented and wonderful people who want to make a difference in the world.

Cons

There are some truly appalling things that happen at this company: corruption, bad management behavior, and a thick, oppressive bureaucracy. I guess to sum it all up, I felt very disrespected as an employee here.

The turnover was incredible. I can't count how many employees came and went in the time that I was there, but it was rare to find someone that had been there longer than 2 years. Other than the management, of course.

My perception of X PRIZE prior to working there was extremely positive and I was very excited to join the team. I think the worst part for me was the immense disappointment I felt as I discovered the reality of the organization. The joke around the office was, "Making the possible, impossible." Sadly, it really felt that way most of the time.

Considering that management doesn't exhibit much respect for the employees' opinions, I would suggest that the board takes a more active role in the organization, in an attempt to rein in management misbehavior (and replace the managers, if necessary).

Cult of personalities hampers smart, dedicated personnel

Current Employee - Director in Culver City, CA
    Current Employee - Director in Culver City, CA

I have been working at XPRIZE full-time

Pros

This organization is full of bright, professional, hard-working people who are genuinely excited about their work, their mission, and the difference that XPRIZE can make. The subject matter we work with is varied and interesting, so there are many things to learn while working here. Some of the current competitions truly are inspiring in their far-reaching goal to benefit humanity.

Cons

THE BAD: Many of the bright, hard-working souls here are shackled by cumbersome, complex, bureaucratic processes that limit their efforts to move forward with truly meaningful initiatives. Or they’re forced to go on mercenary wild goose chases with half-baked ideas that fall short of XPRIZE’s lofty mission but guarantee funding by certain sponsors, whether or not it’s a natural fit. The organization generates some fascinating concepts and competitions, but a slow, stubborn Marketing Department, for example, impairs the vast potential of the projects they oversee.

THE REALLY BAD: Leadership. It is an iron throne of personality, formed around brilliant, charismatic, but managerially crippled leaders and their lieutenants. Collectively, they’re prone to knee-jerk decisions and combative office relations that destroy rather than build a sense of teamwork and encouragement to continue the long work hours. Ruling by intimidation, fear, and the occasional tantrum creates an environment that rewards criticism of others to shield ones’ self from harsh reprimands.

Hire inspired, smart people (doing a decent job there), and then get out of their way (extremely poor job there). No matter how good the personnel is, bad management apples can ruin the sense of a collegial environment. The underlying culture of micromanagement, distrust, and intimidation comes from the top. Until that changes radically, this organization will continue to disappoint those seeking a fulfilling, professional workplace, and XPRIZE may sadly continue to struggle with its public identity as a result.

Great in theory. Poorly Executed.

I worked at XPRIZE full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Creating an environment which is pleasant for everyone is difficult in fact it is almost impossible. In hopes of achieving their goal of becoming an "award-winning place to work", X Prize created a new contemporary office space which is appealing to visitors. The ideas that come from the development team are astounding in theory with a network of visionaries and leaders that would rival any Fortune 500 company. The operations team takes a concept and creates legal, ethical and inspired competitions meant to change the world. These are not easy tasks nor are they commonplace. It takes a remarkable group of people to create and operate these prizes.

Cons

Unfortunately, the cons far outweigh the pros. Management is so focused on nurturing their own egos and covering their own tracks that they don't focus on their constant internal discrepancies over everything from the core values to their management philosophies (or lack thereof), annual objectives or organizational missions. There is great autonomy when working at X Prize because management doesn't understand how to manage without micromanaging. The staff is continuously confused about the mission of the organization, there is no camaraderie because everyone is pointing the finger at everyone else to avoid the wrath of management and the amount of money spent on new offices should have been spent elsewhere because apparently nobody bothers to show up to work. There are a good number of excellent people who work at the organization but they won't stay for long once they realize there is in fact no change occurring in a place whose mantra is to revolutionize the world. Management is borderline tyrannical. There have been employees who have fallen out of favor who have suddenly and without explanation disappeared from the organization without a trace never to be heard from again. It puts employees on edge and creates a stressful environment.

Look at the culture you are creating in an open-minded and honest fashion and pay attention to what your employees are telling you. Listen don't judge. Question don't defend. Create a more open line of communication with your staff. Allow your staff to do their jobs without creating fear.

Exciting concept, questionable execution.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Playa Vista, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Playa Vista, CA

I worked at XPRIZE full-time

Pros

Great people, exposure to stimulating ideas and experiences, relaxed work environment. Most people seem very engaged and committed to their work. The organization is attempting to take on massive global issues and isnot afraid to "think big" or "outside the box"

Cons

Difficult and slow to execute on everything. Even the simplest tasks and processes require massive amounts of red tape. Leadership is split between two very different management philosophies which rarely coincide and create problems for trying to execute on objectives.

Don't waste your life working her

Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at XPRIZE full-time (more than a year)

Pros

None. This is a horrible place to work.

Cons

So many....this company is run by a bunch of amateurs with huge egos.

Leave! You have no management skills.