XS

Updated Feb 20, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Fulton Breen

Best company I've had the pleasure of working for

IT Staff (Current Employee)
Morrisville, NC

I have been working at XS full-time for more than 8 years

Pros- Unique, relaxed, and fun culture.
- Friendly coworkers.
- Fully embraces new technology.
- Well balanced structure for a small company -- you know what is expected of you at all times and there are enough standards to stay efficient but not too many that you get bogged down in red tape.
- Agile development principals are applied not only in software development but also other aspects of the work life.
- Very open communication lines for employees to all levels of management.
- Extremely bright staff; everybody who works here is top notch.
- Employees are encouraged to "speak out" and challenge the status quo if they think there is a better way.
- The personal development and employee review process is not just checking off a list -- everybody seems to buy in to it and it really helps everybody get better at what they do and grow as a person.

Cons- Career advancement opportunities are limited compared to a larger corporation (trade off of working for a small company with a lot of type A personalities). However, if you stick it out for a few years, opportunities will most certainly present themselves.
- Tight budgets

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the communication lines open (important!) and doing a great job steering the ship.

My experience was gratifying, taught me much and helped me grow professionally

I T Developer (Current Employee)
Morrisville, NC

I have been working at XS full-time for more than a year

ProsThe culture is the primary focus of the company and where you get positioned for productivity and growth.
Technically, they are very progressive and interested in providing growth both physically in the technologies their platforms are built upon, through hardware and software, but also in how they allow and support individuals to have professional growth through certification and mentoring.
The company is very focused on its people and takes time to help them.
The companies values are so truly ethical and I believe the Principals care about their employees.
The compensation at the time I started contracting to hire was competitive...

ConsAssets that an individual can demonstrate through intellect, growth and attitude are often overshadowed by the perceptions of others who decide "cultural fit" in the seniority or upper echelon of management.
They don't really recognize a persons assets if they have any weaknesses or a "largely perceived" one.
People who have the ability to move from team to team and can learn and do many things well over time on the fly are not valued as high as a static individual who can do only a few things very well.
I was told there were not yearly increases when I started, but after a year or so I heard they do offer them.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think the framework for which you measure individuals through the review process, "Round Table Meetings" and documented goals that correspond to their Lominger competencies should rate higher on decision making processes then "hear-say" of others in seniority who help drive "cultural fit". In other words... if you rate a person poorly and grade them low on a communication competency for example...Wouldn't you think they should at least have gone "Red" on their review in the goal that corresponds to fixing communication?
Instead develop a framework which completely outlines an individual in progress and growth otherwise the spirit and purpose of the Lominger competencies is lost when "hear-say" comes into the picture as being more of a motivating factor than actual documented changes.

Amazing Culture From The Top Down

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at XS full-time for more than a year

Pros*Most talented co-workers I have ever worked with
*No BS Open Door policy with Top Mgmt - they really ARE always available and do care about your personal and professional growth all at the same time
*Fun/lively atmosphere with lots of non-salary benefits

ConsSorry, really struggling to come up with one

Worked for XS? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at XS reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for XS CEO Fulton Breen. All reviews posted anonymously by XS employees.