XSport Fitness

Updated September 24, 2014
Updated September 24, 2014
2.2

Steven M Rayman

Pros
  • Friendly staff, room for advancement, free gym membership, lively environment, not a desk job (in 8 reviews)

• Great people, opportunity for advancement to a certain point, free gym membership, you become family with your coworkers (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • extremely long hours, high pressure, high stress, difficult to take time off (in 7 reviews)

• 25 an hour with the minimum wage adjustment and they will do anything to keep you from getting membership sales if they dislike you (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Opportunity

Former Employee - Operations Manager  in  Arlington Heights, IL
    Former Employee - Operations Manager in Arlington Heights, IL

I worked at XSport Fitness full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Excellent compensation for management, a free gym membership, and great relationships with the staff, senior leadership, and the members, fast paced energetic environment, family owned and run business. Great support from corporate.

Cons

A trade in quality of life for great pay equals very long hours. It's not for everyone. Being family owned is a plus and a minus. I saw many inconsistencies in the execution of policies, disciplinary actions, and procedures.

Consistency is a must

Membership sales

I have been working at XSport Fitness full-time

Pros

Employees are nice and friendly, free membership, sociable job

Cons

managers have no respect for employees, take sales, stressful environment

Be more strict with sexual harassment awareness

Long Hours can be rewarded

I worked at XSport Fitness full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

If you work hard and hit your numbers, you are paid better than most. You get additional perks like free membership to an amazing facility, discounts on products and services. The staff is excellent and friendly.

Cons

extremely long hours, high pressure, high stress, difficult to take time off. No room for advancement.

Sometimes staying is just staying, being there 24/7 is an owners job, not the hired help. Burning people out by doing 12-14 hour days repeatedly should be against the law.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

This place gets you ripped but rips you off

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Libertyville, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Libertyville, IL

I have been working at XSport Fitness full-time

Pros

Nice facilities. Decent assortment of machines. Variety of exercise equipment for the muscle groups you want to tackle. Your work environment looks nice.

Cons

I have seen the sales team rip many customers off. This makes my job difficult, because the members blame me. I tried asking the sales reps to allow the customer to read the fine print but they didnt care and corporate didn't care. He gets his. Working out is fun but customers should be allowed the privlage of knowing what they sign up for too.

I like my managers but I dont know if they know anything about Xsport. The place doesnt run itself you know. Corporate makes it very hard on us when customers are frustrated about hidden fees and neglect from corporate getting greedy. I am considering working out at a different gym.

Unfair, biased and poor quality in management

Current Employee - Sales  in  Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Sales in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at XSport Fitness full-time for more than a year

Pros

Working with and meeting new people daily.

Cons

Human Resources is not to be trusted. Several employees who I work with went to them for complaints and pretty much schrugged their shoulders and let the situation get out of hand. When both an unsafe work environment and internal issues within the team was brought to them, again theyr did not care, they only wondered why our performance as a team when down (put 2 and 2 together for one second). Even when you do give HR full proof of the incident or problem, they'll just leave it at. All corporates are buddy-buddy so cats out of the bag the moment you go to them with problems especially regarding senior management nothing will happen because they know each other personally. The Corporate Operations Officer and founder's sister is the HR director so of course they'll do anything to protect themselves, not their employees.

Corporate enforces contradicting policies and rules which do not empose positive into the teams. It is simply "you don't make numbers, you won't have a job next month'. They find that threatening people with their lively hoods works best to suit their own interest.

Hours are outrageous, their treatment to employees is too and their business is slowly falling apart but are doing everything to save face.

Change your ways quick fast and in a hurry before you lose your company by it's own employees because no one is happy.

I was too stressed to do my job

Former Employee - Massage Therapist  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Massage Therapist in Chicago, IL

I worked at XSport Fitness part-time for more than a year

Pros

If you get a good manager and coworkers, it can be fun sometimes.

Cons

Emphasis was placed on quantity, not quality. The spa lacked proper intake forms for massage, in spite of therapists repeatedly stressing their importance. Although I did have two good managers, they were quickly replaced, and my last manager made the job especially nightmarish. She threatened to cut my already part time hours for not meeting my sales goal (while still raising it every month), and once forced me to buy a prepaid credit card in order to secure a membership sale, which ultimately meant that I was paying $10 in order not to get my hours cut. Even when I met my goal, she was nothing but critical. I heard at least three personal trainers complain about the quantity over quality problem as well. The worst part was feeling as if the trust between me and my clients-not to mention the peaceful, healing atmosphere-was being destroyed by high-pressure sales tactics

Learn a little bit about massage. Your current policies do not allow us to practice to the highest professional standards. Give your therapists proper intake forms, and learn the benefits of advertising so that we do not have to damage our relationship with our clients by up selling all the time.

It has its ups and downs

Current Employee - Manager  in  Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Manager in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at XSport Fitness full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great people, opportunity for advancement to a certain point, free gym membership, you become family with your coworkers.

Cons

A RIDICULOUS amount of drama, way too sales oriented, opportunity for advancement stops at assistant manager positions

Quit being so sales oriented and care more about the members.

Underappreciated trainers

Current Employee - Personal Trainer  in  Arlington Heights, IL
    Current Employee - Personal Trainer in Arlington Heights, IL

I have been working at XSport Fitness full-time for more than a year

Pros

The team was great; all of our trainers worked hard and fought together to make it through each day with a smile. Our manager is a great guy, it was like a family here.

Cons

Upper management/corporate doesn't care one bit about its employees. When goals are not met (company-wide), threats are thrown around and lifelines are cut. High sales goals made it hard for trainers to focus on actually helping people when all corporate cared about was hitting the numbers.

Give your trainers more reasons to want to stay with your company.

Not a bad job

Current Employee - Personal Trainer  in  Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Personal Trainer in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at XSport Fitness full-time for less than a year

Pros

You get a raise for every certification you get.

Cons

High turn over rates with management , not enough interaction between management and workers

Take care of your worker and they will take care of you.

Unprofessional.

Former Employee - Fitness Counselor  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Fitness Counselor in Chicago, IL

I worked at XSport Fitness full-time for more than a year

Pros

You'll make summer money here if you're a student. But don't ever tell them you're looking to be there temporarily. They want slaves to the company.

Cons

Don't look to move up in this company. Chances are, when life happens, they will get pissed off at you. If you can't stay late because your schedule ends at a certain time, they will bury you in terms of sales and skip you on the "ups" list. The "ups" list determines who gets the next walk in for a membership. Obviously in sales there is favoritism but in this job there is a lot of sexual mingling between managers and employees and you'll see one person getting the benefit of that -- they get every single "walk in". The thing is, you aren't supposed to depend on walk-ins but when you're forced to watch that you can't help but feel the unfairness.

They'll keep you slaving to them by making false promises of promotion. The hourly wage is 6.25 an hour with the minimum wage adjustment and they will do anything to keep you from getting membership sales if they dislike you. And then they will find any reason to fire you beyond the fact that you don't produce. If they can't, they will transfer you.

They get paid hourly. Don't ask them why they dont want to "stay and make money" if you haven't helped them out for the 8 hours of their shift. Also, if they are in sales, there is no reason as to why they should walk out of the gym covered in splinters and dust from moving things.

Worked for XSport Fitness? Contribute to the Community!