XSport Fitness

Updated November 4, 2014
Updated November 4, 2014
2.3

Steven M Rayman

Pros
  • Friendly staff, room for advancement, free gym membership, lively environment, not a desk job (in 11 reviews)

• Great people, opportunity for advancement to a certain point, free gym membership, you become family with your coworkers (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • long hours but its made up for with the compensation (in 6 reviews)

• If your upper management likes you, you'll succeed and they'll excuse failures (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Long Hours for decent pay

I worked at XSport Fitness full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Family Owned and operated business where everyone is accessible to you.

Cons

Some family members are in the wrong positions and should be replaced with competent people

Restructure, revamp, reward

Fun place to work, room for advancement

Former Employee - Front Desk in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Front Desk in Chicago, IL

I worked at XSport Fitness part-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Lots of interacting with members. If you've got great customer service skills and are friendly, you'll love working here.
    - Free gym membership
    - 24-hour facility
    - So much opportunity for work due to lots of turnover and several locations you could work at
    - If your sales numbers are above average and consistent and you've got a decent reputation, you'll have a great chance at advancing to management

Cons

- Super pushy with sales to the point where good customer service lacks at times
    - SO MUCH DRAMA between employees and even members....Keep to yourself, don't share your business, don't get too involved or "friendly" with anyone, and you won't get caught up in the mix
    - People will steal your sales
    - Commission isn't so awesome, but you still get an hourly wage

- Big sales are great, but excellent customer service is what really matters to the CUSTOMERS. Not all managers comprehend this.
    - If someone has a poor reputation by several clubs and their members and has constantly been reported for behaving inappropriately and disrespectfully to members, yet has incredible sales, still, please fire them immediately and have respect and dignity for your business.

Extreme stress without the reward.

Former Employee - Operations Manager in Big Rock, IL
    Former Employee - Operations Manager in Big Rock, IL

I worked at XSport Fitness full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Given the requirements for employment (they'll take anyone), the compensation for sales/production based management is great, even sometimes exceptional. They definitely pay the highest in the industry. Your co-workers quickly become your family (in part due to you never seeing your actual biological family), and you learn a tremendous amount about sales and management within a short period of time.

Cons

Where do I begin? You learn a lot quickly (as mentioned above), because it's sink or swim. You will never be coached or guided, just threatened and berated if you aren't up to their infinite expectations - If you did 110% of your set goal, you should have achieved 120%. Expect to work long and exhausting hours, but only paid for about half of them. The compensation can be considered a plus, but in contrast to the amount you work, it is mostly minimal at best. The company is still a 'start-up' company in a sense, so expect to do everything by hand. Nothing is automated, and redundancy is inevitable. Hourly employees are paid minimum wage (with a deduction if they achieve any commission), so the turn-over rate is astounding. Don't get attached, because either you or they will not be there next week. It is honestly a popularity contest. If your upper management likes you, you'll succeed and they'll excuse failures... If they don't, you'll sink. Period.

It is a revenue driven business, and you're there for one reason... To produce. And all they need is a body to peddle items and drive revenue.

You're helpless... Honestly.

if you out in the work it can work out

I have been working at XSport Fitness part-time

Pros

good starting job for new trainers

Cons

hard to make a career as a trainer

Great company to work for!

Current Employee - Stylist in Skokie, IL
    Current Employee - Stylist in Skokie, IL

I have been working at XSport Fitness full-time (less than an year)

Pros

-many advancement opportunities
    -Free gym membership
    - benefits
    -discount on everything (services, products etc)

Cons

the hours are sometimes crazy

Membership sales

I have been working at XSport Fitness full-time

Pros

Employees are nice and friendly, free membership, sociable job

Cons

managers have no respect for employees, take sales, stressful environment

Be more strict with sexual harassment awareness

Great Opportunity

Former Employee - Operations Manager in Arlington Heights, IL
    Former Employee - Operations Manager in Arlington Heights, IL

I worked at XSport Fitness full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent compensation for management, a free gym membership, and great relationships with the staff, senior leadership, and the members, fast paced energetic environment, family owned and run business. Great support from corporate.

Cons

A trade in quality of life for great pay equals very long hours. It's not for everyone. Being family owned is a plus and a minus. I saw many inconsistencies in the execution of policies, disciplinary actions, and procedures.

Consistency is a must

Horrible

Current Employee - Front Desk in Downers Grove, IL
    Current Employee - Front Desk in Downers Grove, IL

I have been working at XSport Fitness part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Free gym membership... Yep that's about it.

Cons

Worst management I have ever worked for in my entire life. Promised at interview I would receive full time hours and ended up only filling in for others for a few hours on Saturdays when they didn't want to work.

Company falling apart

Former Employee - General Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - General Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at XSport Fitness full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good atmosphere due to members. Corporate will stab you in the back in the blink of a eye. Workout keep in shape meet lots of cool people.

Cons

Corporate is horrible, will only lie and stab you in the back. Horrible structure poor upper management. Not a place to think about a career.

You clearly don't know how to run a company.

This place gets you ripped but rips you off

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Libertyville, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Libertyville, IL

I have been working at XSport Fitness full-time

Pros

Nice facilities. Decent assortment of machines. Variety of exercise equipment for the muscle groups you want to tackle. Your work environment looks nice.

Cons

I have seen the sales team rip many customers off. This makes my job difficult, because the members blame me. I tried asking the sales reps to allow the customer to read the fine print but they didnt care and corporate didn't care. He gets his. Working out is fun but customers should be allowed the privlage of knowing what they sign up for too.

I like my managers but I dont know if they know anything about Xsport. The place doesnt run itself you know. Corporate makes it very hard on us when customers are frustrated about hidden fees and neglect from corporate getting greedy. I am considering working out at a different gym.